As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

in Need of Camera Advice

HerothHeroth Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So i've always been intrested in Photography, And now that i've settled into my job, i've been looking into buying a Digital Camera.

I want a decent camera so i'm not afraid to pay for one, i'm looking in the range of 500-1200.

But the problem is i don't really know much about Camera's in general, so i need your help.

I'm not so much looking for a camera were i can pull out of my pocket and take quick snap-shots while out on the town or club (my friend has a camera for that which i end up using).

I want it more for group photo's of friends/family *good* group photo's, Also interested in scenic shots and other similar photos.

also have my sisters wedding coming up and while i don't want to do the 'professional' photography at the wedding, i'd like to take some nice photos of that.

So to sum it all up, looking for a good starting camera for someone who wants to get into Ametuer photography.

I live in Australia for pricing, conversion-wise.

1Gn4PNI.png
Heroth on

• Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In that price range you are probably looking at digital SLRs. The standard in this range is the Canon Rebel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120070

For the money it is an incredible camera that will take you a long way if you decide to pursue this hobby further. Just note that this cameras in this price range get a bit... bulky. They aren't of the kind that you can fit in your pants pocket.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    SilvertreeSilvertree Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Canon Digital Rebel is a nice camera for what you are looking to get into. It has enough manual settings you can learn the basics and yet you can use at as a point and shoot if need be. Make sure you leave enough money to buy a lens or two once you purchase it. Nice glass makes all the difference in the world.

The National Geographic Field Guide to Photography might be a good book to pick up prior to the camera. If memory serves, they have a section about camera features that you would find useful. I know it contains plenty of useful information you can use after the fact. They have several guides that are good, but one that is the general purpose or main guide that you might want to start with.

I had the 20D, and I really liked it. You might look around and see if you can find one of those. You might be able to find a good deal on one now that they have been replaced.

You will find a huge Nikon VS Canon debate if you really start looking around, but I think Canon is the way to go digitally. They have seemed to lead the way.

Silvertree on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd suggest a 20d without a lens (just the body) and go pick up a 50mm lens for like $80 or a nice zoom lens.

If you really plan on getting into portrait work with remote flashes, nikon may be the way to go though.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png