Moment of the Week - Oct. 10th

135

Posts

  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User
    edited October 2007
    layla miller with redish hair?



    Ugh, I should hope not

    Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seriously though guys.

    I keep trying to remember moments from other books I read this week.

    And Punisher War Journal keeps popping into my head going "DUAL-WIELDED CHAINSAWS!" and "GUN THAT SHOOTS KNIVES!" and "VENOM SUIT" and "FRANK KILLS ALIEN WITH ALIEN'S OWN DISMEMBERED ARM".

    EDIT: And now I've got a signature to share the glory.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    layla miller with redish hair?



    Ugh, I should hope not

    I thought
    Layla
    wasn't usually happy.

    Maybe it's
    Mayday

    Garlic Bread on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guys, seriously. What redhead do we know that can radically change the past? It's the manifestation of Wanda's powers. She didn't depower herself, she just created someone to carry them, in this case a younger version of herself.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Guys, seriously. What redhead do we know that can radically change the past? It's the manifestation of Wanda's powers. She didn't depower herself, she just created someone to carry them, in this case a younger version of herself.

    pretty sure wanda has brown hair

    Diablo Fett on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Guys, seriously. What redhead do we know that can radically change the past? It's the manifestation of Wanda's powers. She didn't depower herself, she just created someone to carry them, in this case a younger version of herself.

    pretty sure wanda has brown hair

    Yeah, Scarlet Witch was just based on her costume color.

    The Muffin Man on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    God, I've seen that Joker origin like three times today and every time the terrible art makes me cringe

    Yeah, from graphical stand point it is pretty bad, but I like actual story. Especially Jack's inner monologue, like the first time he sees Batman and gets his obsession....

    What's this?
    Look at him. That costume...
    Those toys he jangles around.
    Yet he's as serious as serious can be.
    Working so hard to undo all my plans.
    He looks like he'd never stop punching for the rest of his life...
    He looks... ridiculous....
    * huge grin *


    Or the one while he is drowning in the vat, and trying to accept his death.

    Shame. Another minute and we'll all be gone.
    Finally.
    Then again...
    I DID put up quite a fight, didn't I? Can't deny there was some vital instinct---
    Some gross insistence of soul.
    After all that talk of dying-- I Fought.
    and when that bullet was coming...
    I ducked.
    He got the drop on me and everything.
    I deserved it.
    Was finally coming... and I ducked.
    I suppose... I suppose I should try...
    It would be such a shame...
    ...never to see him again (looks at Batman).
    He could have saved me. We could have had laughs.

    Blankspace wrote: »
    He is a comedian, he knows what's funny and what isn't.

    Actually, he is a shitty comedian who can't understand difference between wrong or right. Most of his puns and punchlines are pretty awful.

    elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    Blankspace wrote: »
    He is a comedian, he knows what's funny and what isn't.

    Actually, he is a shitty comedian who can't understand difference between wrong or right. Most of his puns and punchlines are pretty awful.

    The Joker is an insane genius. He knows exactly what he's doing and doesn't give a fuck because he finds it hilarious.

    Garlic Bread on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Who was that at the end of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24?
    My current bet is on Mephisto.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Is Sensational Spidey going to come out this month, or are we stretching this out even further?
    Because I thought that the 3x monthly issues of Amazing were supposed to start in December.

    Me Too! on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lol! wrote: »
    Is Sensational Spidey going to come out this month, or are we stretching this out even further?
    Because I thought that the 3x monthly issues of Amazing were supposed to start in December.
    Considering there is still another month and a half until December, I'd say they're on track to do that.

    Edit: Pretty much all of GL 24 would be my moment of the week.

    Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Who was that at the end of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24?
    My current bet is on Mephisto.
    I'm guessing Loki - he still owes Spider-Man a 'favor' from earlier in the JMS run. Also, this way he gets tricked into messing up his marriage, instead of being a total idiot and trading his understanding, supermodel wife for his 90 year old aunt.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Who was that at the end of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24?
    My current bet is on Mephisto.
    I'm guessing Loki - he still owes Spider-Man a 'favor' from earlier in the JMS run. Also, this way he gets tricked into messing up his marriage, instead of being a total idiot and trading his understanding, supermodel wife for his 90 year old aunt.
    Loki still hasn't been brought out of "hibernation" by Thor.

    The first gods up for it are the Warriors Three.

    Also, Speculation doesn't need spoiler tags.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When has JMS been consistent? Loki being tied up in another title doesn't strike me as enough of a reason to keep him from doing his story in the other title (since Oeming took Loki out of play at the end of the last Thor run). I mean, we're talking about the guy who wrote Civil War crossover issues that were completely contradictory to the other Civil War issues.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    There's not consistent and there's "Hey, the character is essentially dead."

    I really doubt he would show Loki in OMD when Thor is a critically acclaimed and very well selling title. He would save Loki for Thor.

    Plus, JQ said that Mephisto would be back in a big way in '07 and as of now he hasn't done shit.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can see Peter Parker being stupid enough to think he could put one over on Loki, because of the 'favor' he's owed. But I can't see Peter being stupid enough to barter with Mephisto. You're probably right and I'm probably wrong, though.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Peter was willing to barter with Doctor Doom.

    Mephisto isn't very far off.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    If JMS weren't writing Thor, Loki might show up.

    But he's been pretty good at keeping continuity with his own titles.

    And I thought the callback to what Dr. Strange was doing in that room early in his run was really cool.

    DJ Eebs on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I swear, someone should smack Peter upside the head and tell him the best thing he can do right now is stay by May's side.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I swear, someone should smack Peter upside the head and tell him the best thing he can do right now is stay by May's side.
    Doc Strange spent damned near a whole issue with him doing exactly that. Are you reading the same thing I am?

    Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I swear, someone should smack Peter upside the head and tell him the best thing he can do right now is stay by May's side.
    Doc Strange spent damned near a whole issue with him doing exactly that. Are you reading the same thing I am?
    No, No, I saw that, but Strange still acted as an enabler.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just read New Avengers

    Holy balls I like this new story.

    Sars_Boy on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I just read New Avengers

    Holy balls I like this new story.

    Seems to me like just about everyone but Mark Millar can write a great story about the circumstances and consequences surrounding Civil War. All three Avengers titles are top notch right now, and the reasons why Bendis and Slott are two of my favorites right now.

    Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I just read New Avengers

    Holy balls I like this new story.

    A reviewer from Major Spoilers would disagree. Apparently...
    ...he couldn't get over the Tigra-beating and taping of said beating.

    http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/2616.htm/

    Owenashi on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I kinda agree.
    Before when I was talking about how Tigra always gets kicked lately, that was before I read the book, and I assumed people were talking about a standard supermeta fight that she happened to lose. But as it was...I definitly got the feeling that if the book was being written to an R/X rating, there would have been a rape scene there.

    And on top of that, I got the same feeling about the recent Ms. Marvel arc. I mean, there, it was pretty much stated that all the women Puppet Master kidnapped were going to be used as sex slaves (maybe in some cases as supersoldiers, but why then only women?). I guess we're pretty much left to assume that Ms. Marvel stopped it in time, and considering half the superheroes he took were teenagers, I certainly hope so. But this is twice in like a month Tigra's been in this sort of situation.

    It's not that I'm really bothered by rape in comics, I like comics being realistic, and honestly, if hot chicks in skintight spandex found themselves being captured by criminals as often as they do in comics, there would have to be a certain percentage of rape victims going around. But I don't like implied rape...if that were to happen to a character it'd be a major thing that'd have to be followed through with, not ignored like it never happened til a retcon x years down the road when it turned out they'd been hiding it all along. If they're going to bring rape into a story, it needs to be addressed.

    Of course, maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Maybe Puppet's slaves were just going to be used as house servants, and maybe Jigsaw just packed up his camera and went back home.

    Scooter on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like the arc, but I was kind of hoping The Hood was going to be a likable villain. As in not so evil.

    At least the Dethlok wasn't the one he met in Beyond.

    Mai-Kero on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    isn't she a furry? she deserves all the humiliation and pain
    (unless she likes that)

    DouglasDanger on
    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    See that's the thing.

    I could give a fuck about Tigra. I also don't see any sense of implied rape. The purpose of that scene was simply to show the readers that Parker is not fucking around. Bendis could've used any D-List hero in the Marvel U. He doesn't like Tigra, fine, he can use her. It's not like she's starring in any books or anything.

    What? 2 panels in MA and like 5 in Initiative? Seriously, some people are just whiners. I mean, I understand that it sucks having a favorite character defeated or humiliated trust me, but at least this has a good story surrounding it.

    Sars_Boy on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm reading the review.

    This guy is just really isn't providing any valid arguements. Like everyone else, he is reading way too far into this in some shoddy attempt to hate on Bendis.

    Edit: Also, he has a vagina.

    Sars_Boy on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited October 2007
    You should compare the tone of Tigra's encounter with the Hood to Wolverine's. The contrast, along with the fact that females are a minority in hero comics, has a strong effect upon how readers may react to the scene.

    And some people just can't take girls being humiliated by random thugs with pistols, under any circumstances.

    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    See that's the thing.

    I could give a fuck about Tigra. I also don't see any sense of implied rape. The purpose of that scene was simply to show the readers that Parker is not fucking around. Bendis could've used any D-List hero in the Marvel U. He doesn't like Tigra, fine, he can use her. It's not like she's starring in any books or anything.

    What? 2 panels in MA and like 5 in Initiative? Seriously, some people are just whiners. I mean, I understand that it sucks having a favorite character defeated or humiliated trust me, but at least this has a good story surrounding it.
    It... It doesn't seem overly sexualized to you? Frankly, it pisses me off that some low-grade thug thinks he can replace the kingpin, but seriously, the whole scene just reeked of, at the very least, over the top.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Over sexualized? Dude, all super hero comics are over sexualized.

    If you're talking about that fact that he was exerting dominance over Tigra? No, not really. I wouldn't call that overtly sexual. The art is another matter, but that's just comic book artists for you.

    It doesn't piss me off because I have loved the Hood since the first mini and it's nice to see him getting face time.

    Plus he's not really replacing the Kingpin.

    Sars_Boy on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited October 2007
    Do you see the difference between over-sexualized fighting aliens and despots and over-sexualized violence against women?

    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do you see the difference between over-sexualized fighting aliens and despots and over-sexualized violence against women?
    Add in the creepy voyeurism, and the whole thing just hits me the wrong way.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So if the character was a male there would be no problems here? Is that what you're trying to say here?

    Sars_Boy on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    So if the character was a male there would be no problems here? Is that what you're trying to say here?
    Sexual violence against males is not cool, either. I realize that he did this to make the point that the Red Hood is all badass and shit, but still. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    But that's the thing. It was only sexual because the victim was a woman.

    He didn't rape her, he didn't even grab her sexually.

    He just beat her the fuck up with a gun.

    Sars_Boy on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What pissed me off about the scene
    was Tigra getting chumped so very, very hard. And that shrieking of "Aiee!" What the fuck was that about?

    Tigra is a combat veteran who can lift five tons, can run at highway speeds, has superhuman stamina and toughness, has the agiliity, and reflexes of, well, a hunting cat, and a goddamn healing factor, though not one as advanced as Wolverine's. Batman, the king of "prep time!" plot armor, would be hard-pressed to take her down on his first try. A third-rater like Hood shouldn't have been able to take her, period.

    And yes, I noticed she was kneecapped. She's fought through worse. My general rule of thumb is, if it wouldn't put Batman or Punisher down for the count, it shouldn't put anyone with superhuman endurance and/or a healing factor, like Tigra, down. And anyone who knows anything knows that those two won't stop for anything short of catastrophic blood loss due to a crocodile biting their hand off at the shoulder.

    Oh, her mom was threatened? Well that changes everyth wait no it doesn't she'd tear him to shreds. If Spider-Man, the easiest-going hero in Marvel, were stripped to his underwear, had his kneecap shot, had his face ground in glass, listened to Aunt May getting threatened, and in response just sat or lay there crying like a big baby, it would be rightfully assailed by the fans as being a ricockulous out-of-character bullshit moment. Hell, if the storyline didn't result in Spidey being brought up on aggravated assault charges at the least because of the brutality his response, it would be rightfully assailed by the fans as being a ricockulous out-of-character bullshit moment. And that's Spider-Man.

    Tigra has a temper.

    That it is patently ridiculous both in and out of context makes it a horrifically stupid idea. That you would only ever see a moment like this applied to a female character (...okay, maybe Speedball/Penance) makes it sexist.

    Shadowen on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User
    edited October 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    So if the character was a male there would be no problems here? Is that what you're trying to say here?

    Yes, exactly.

    If it was a man, it wouldn't be evocative of real life instances of violence against women or mildly disturbing thanks to the fact that the man behind the assault was, for the purposes of that issue, the badass protagonist of the story.

    And hey, if the character was a 12 year old girl, it'd be even more of a problem.

    I know it's indicative of a double standard, but most rational people realize that double standards are more symptoms of problems than problems themselves. They're how we deal with inequities in treatment and the various cruelties of the world which trouble us so, and in many ways we need them, at least until all the ills of the world are resolved and everyone becomes, in reality, equal to each other. Until such a utopia becomes a reality, though, it's best to at least recognize the fact that showing a girl in a bikini getting pistol-whipped without any recourse on her part, despite her fucking super-powers, is perhaps in bad taste.

    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shadowen wrote: »
    What pissed me off about the scene
    was Tigra getting chumped so very, very hard. And that shrieking of "Aiee!" What the fuck was that about?

    Tigra is a combat veteran who can lift five tons, can run at highway speeds, has superhuman stamina and toughness, has the agiliity, and reflexes of, well, a hunting cat, and a goddamn healing factor, though not one as advanced as Wolverine's. Batman, the king of "prep time!" plot armor, would be hard-pressed to take her down on his first try. A third-rater like Hood shouldn't have been able to take her, period.

    And yes, I noticed she was kneecapped. She's fought through worse. My general rule of thumb is, if it wouldn't put Batman or Punisher down for the count, it shouldn't put anyone with superhuman endurance and/or a healing factor, like Tigra, down. And anyone who knows anything knows that those two won't stop for anything short of catastrophic blood loss due to a crocodile biting their hand off at the shoulder.

    Oh, her mom was threatened? Well that changes everyth wait no it doesn't she'd tear him to shreds. If Spider-Man, the easiest-going hero in Marvel, were stripped to his underwear, had his kneecap shot, had his face ground in glass, listened to Aunt May getting threatened, and in response just sat or lay there crying like a big baby, it would be rightfully assailed by the fans as being a ricockulous out-of-character bullshit moment. Hell, if the storyline didn't result in Spidey being brought up on aggravated assault charges at the least because of the brutality his response, it would be rightfully assailed by the fans as being a ricockulous out-of-character bullshit moment. And that's Spider-Man.

    Tigra has a temper.

    That it is patently ridiculous both in and out of context makes it a horrifically stupid idea. That you would only ever see a moment like this applied to a female character (...okay, maybe Speedball/Penance) makes it sexist.
    Are you kidding me?

    Getting shot in the fucking kneecap puts you down.

    I personally think people are looking way too far into this. It's a fucking fictional story.

    This is fast becoming Marvel's Identity Crisis.

    Except there is a good story behind it.

    Sars_Boy on
Sign In or Register to comment.