As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wii and HDTV

HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Following an HDTV purchase, I bought a 360 and PS3 to replace my old XBox and PS2. The picture quality, of course, is amazing on both machines and the HD-DVD add-on and Blu-Ray player give me tons of flexibility for HD content.

But, with the Super Smash Bros. news, Metroid Prime 3 out now and Super Mario Galaxy in the pipeline, I must get a Wii to satisfy my Nintendo addiction. I'm just worried that the experience may be a bit wonky, since a 480p system is kind of an oddball in my HT setup. Since I don't have component cables for my GameCube, I can't even get an approximation for what the Wii will look like.

So, for you HDTV and Wii owners out there, how has the experience been? What connection do you use? How is the 16:9 support? Are all the games 480p? Is the Wii a good fit with the HDTV or will I still need to lug around my SDTV when I move out of my apartment come January? Are there still issues with the sensor bar or did I misunderstand limited complaints for more widespread issues?

P.S. I don't mind that the Wii isn't in HD. It would be nice to see Mario in HD glory or whatever, but it's really not all that important. I'm more concerned with overall picture quality (the PS2 PQ is muddy as hell when scaled) and 16:9 support.

Your mom.
Hypertime on

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a Panasonic 32" HDTV, and my Wii is hooked with component cables. It looks fine to me.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    I have a Panasonic 32" HDTV, and my Wii is hooked with component cables. It looks fine to me.

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of component cables are you using? I typically stick with 1st party accessories, but I've heard that the Wii component cable might be very difficult to find.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a 32" Westinghouse LCD HDTV. Wii looks great on it, just make sure to turn the sharpness setting on your HDTV down all the way, then bump it up slowly until you find the sweet spot.

Also, get your Wii component cables here.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hypertime wrote: »
    I typically stick with 1st party accessories, but I've heard that the Wii component cable might be very difficult to find.

I use the first party component cables, and was able to find them in plentiful stock at Gamestop.

You might be remembering that the component cables were short of stock at the Wii launch/christmas 06, but that's no longer the case.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    MoonkeiMoonkei Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Component cables help A LOT, at least it did for me when I had a Wii. I remember playing Zelda in Composite and everything just looked so blurry.

Moonkei on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I have a 32" Westinghouse LCD HDTV. Wii looks great on it, just make sure to turn the sharpness setting on your HDTV down all the way, then bump it up slowly until you find the sweet spot.

Ah, 'tis to be expected. I think I've spent more time calibrating my new television than actually using it. Ha.
    Also, get your Wii component cables here.

Awesome.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, for you HDTV and Wii owners out there, how has the experience been? What connection do you use? How is the 16:9 support? Are all the games 480p? Is the Wii a good fit with the HDTV or will I still need to lug around my SDTV when I move out of my apartment come January? Are there still issues with the sensor bar or did I misunderstand limited complaints for more widespread issues?

I don't have an HDTV yet, but to answer some other questions: All games can output in 480p, but sadly not every game is 16:9. IIRC, most support widescreen but there are a number of outliers.

I think the initial complaint about sensor bars was from people with projection setups who don't necessarily have their Wii right next to the screen; there are a number of third-party wireless sensor bars out now that work just fine from all reports.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a 52" HDTV, and I have no complaints.

So 32"? You'll be fine.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, component cables are very easy to find now, both online and in stores. And they are definitely worth the extra cost. Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, and RE4:Wii all look incredible on my 57" display. Over composite at 480i? Not so much.,

Dirty on
  • Options
    HomerHomer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a 40" LCD and am using component cables (generic) and I have been pleased with how it looks. Metroid looks fabulous. There were a couple rooms where I couldn't believe the Wii wasn't an HD console.

Homer on
    "Mmmm, unexplained bacon."
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    All games can output in 480p

Actually, there are some games that don't run in 480p. I don't think Trauma Center: Second Opinion or Rayman Raving Rabbids do 480p.

Dirty on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I think someone needs to be the bearer of the news that while better looking that a Gamecube, the Wii is a lot uglier than the 360 and PS3.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    40" LCD

I honest to god couldn't even play my Wii until I got component cables. It made me feel like my eyes were broken.

And, yes, it looks all kinds of fugly compared to the 360. I'm not even talking about the graphics, I'm just talking about the dashboard here.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of component cables are you using? I typically stick with 1st party accessories, but I've heard that the Wii component cable might be very difficult to find.

First party.

Djiem on
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think someone needs to be the bearer of the news that while better looking that a Gamecube, the Wii is a lot uglier than the 360 and PS3.

Nonsense. The Wii looks far better than either the 360 or the PS3. I much prefer the tiny, sleek design to the monstrosities that both the HD consoles are. The 360's look I can live with, but the PS3 is an aberration of "bling" proportions. It looks expensive, not pretty. And it's the sort of "ugly expensive" that you only see on rich grandmothers or rappers. In other words, "bling". Sony's design department needs to be told that shiny black plastic looks cheap, not cool.

Of course, if you meant to be commenting on the graphics of the Wii, you should be more careful with your sentence subjects :-P

dopplex on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    3rd party component cables, 52" dlp, looks great. Be warned tho, some wide screen games have like an inch black borders on the sides. I never noticed it till i read it in a MP3:C review and then turned it on to check.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Good going, pal. Too bad no one was saying that the Wii's graphics were as good as PS3 or 360. The topic of conversation was whether or not the Wii looks good on and HDTV at all.

Or were you trolling the thread to be ironic or something?

Dirty on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How stupid are you, Dirty?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »

What? I just call things as I see them.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dirty wrote: »

Good going, pal. Too bad no one was saying that the Wii's graphics were as good as PS3 or 360. The topic of conversation was whether or not the Wii looks good on and HDTV at all.

And that is a subjective question with subjective answers. I don't think it looks so hot on my 50" but I can live with it, I know people personally who can't.

People seemed to be dancing around the issue that the Wii is not stepping up to the HD plate batting .500 and I drew attention to that, which is pretty far from trolling in my book.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »

What? I just call things as I see them.

Well you seem to be calling them stupidly. Start second guessing your first impressions.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maybe it is just me but personally I didn’t notice a huge difference in the graphics of Wii games when I went from the standard 480i with the composite cable to the 480p with component cables. Though that might me because at the time I was playing the latest Mario Paper, maybe if I went back and tried Metroid in 480i I might notice a big difference, hmm I’ll have to try that tonight.
    Oh and I am using first party cables on a Sony Wega 55” DLP HDTV, and haven’t really been too bothered with any problems with the widescreen, though the pointer does get awfully touchy at the edges of the screen. My friend just got a Nyko wireless bar for his and swears it got rid of all the jumpiness at the edges and that games feel smoother now.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well this thread was not about how the Wii looks compared to the 360 or the PS3. There was absolutely no reason to bring them into the discussion. This thread has acknowledged from the OP that the Wii is not an HD system, nor is it a graphical powerhouse. The topic is simply whether or not the Wii looks good on an HDTV.

Your followup post about your not liking how the Wii looks on your TV was on-topic and actually constructive. If you had posted that first, I would not have taken issue.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well this thread was not about how the Wii looks compared to the 360 or the PS3. There was absolutely no reason to bring them into the discussion. This thread has acknowledged from the OP that the Wii is not an HD system, nor is it a graphical powerhouse. The topic is simply whether or not the Wii looks good on an HDTV.

Your followup post about your not liking how the Wii looks on your TV was on-topic and actually constructive. If you had posted that first, I would not have taken issue.

Hey here is a smart idea. How about us, the moderators, spend time figuring out what is and isn't appropriate content and you don't.

How the Wii looks is an inherently comparative inqury. A straightforward comparison is totally relevant. You just wanted to read into it a whole mess of fanboyism that I don't have and didn't express.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    :roll:

Dirty on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm actually leaving in about an hour to pick up a wii.
    I have an HD.
    So, should I get the component cables, or is it a waste?

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Hey here is a smart idea. How about us, the moderators, spend time figuring out what is and isn't appropriate content and you don't.

How the Wii looks is an inherently comparative inqury. A straightforward comparison is totally relevant. You just wanted to read into it a whole mess of fanboyism that I don't have and didn't express.

Well, in fairness, the OP did say that he didn't care about the Wii not being in HD and chances are he's pretty cognizant of the fact that the 360 and the PS3 blow it out of the water on pretty much every visual front there is. His only expressed concern was with picture quality (does it look like Vaseline is smeared all over the screen), which is not inherently comparative.

I think.
    Don't kill me

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I have an HD.

Those cables are really necessary for a HD set.

Get them.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have an HD.

Those cables are really necessary for a HD set.

Get them.

ok, i just wanted to know if it'd be worth the expense.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Despite the Wii being uglier than the 360 and PS3, I think you should get the component cables anyways. While it still won't look as good as the PS3 or 360, there is a very noticeable improvement in the video quality when using the component cables, despite it still being uglier than the 360 and PS3.

Dirty on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you're pushin it :lol:

personally, i think the improvement is primarily dependant on what kind of hdtv you have. mine is an old, no name brand that was bought maybe 3 or 4 years ago. it makes ALL composite signals look like absolute muddy shit. so component cables are a necessary so your eyes dont bleed every time you boot up any console. comparatively, on my friend's hd tv, the screen looks a bit brighter and colors more vibrant but the difference isn't nearly as noticable.

Guek on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On my projector, the Wii looked simply awful with composite. The image flickered, the colors were muddy, and everything looked like it was smeared on the wall.

Once I hooked it up with component cables, that all changed. Now I can see that Wii games aren't anti-aliased (you might cut yourself playing Excite Truck if you're not careful) but that's more of a testament to how shitty the video signal was before than a criticism of the Wii's graphics. It's also like the resolution doubled, which, in a way, it kinda did in the switch to progressive. Text that was hard to read before is now crystal clear.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've got a CRT TV and the Wii upscales beautifully on it. I think most of the problem is that a lot of LCD sets have really crappy upscalers that make 480p content look like garbage. On my set, 480p, 720p, and 1080i stuff all looks really good. It's just something you have to look for.

edit: and yes, get component cables. The $6 Monoprice ones work great, and it's a HUGE step up, even if it is "only" 480p.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used to have a Wii (a launch one.... which got stolen from my place in a break in two weeks after purchase) and have been thinking about trying to order a new one. I've since also bought a HDTV, and am super glad that people are reporting good experiences with the component cables!

My PS2 looks like utter crap running through composite. D:

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    elizabex wrote: »
    I used to have a Wii (a launch one.... which got stolen from my place in a break in two weeks after purchase) and have been thinking about trying to order a new one. I've since also bought a HDTV, and am super glad that people are reporting good experiences with the component cables!

My PS2 looks like utter crap running through composite. D:

Get component cables for it, too. Even 480i content gets a decent step up.

And I love my CRT HDTV. Yes, it weighs 200 pounds, but damn, CRTs are really good at making a variety of different resolutions all look great.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that the 360 and PS3 will outclass the Wii from every major technical standpoint, but it's really not a big deal. I'd love to have Mario in 720p, but I'll take him in 480p with a fun new controller than not at all. From recent experience, I know that getting SD content on an HD display takes some serious fiddling to get 'just right'. Thus, I wanted to go in with both eyes open before bringing a Wii home.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who mentioned the Nintendo component cables. I've been busy with work and other stuff, so I never could keep up with gaming news (damn you, old work web filters!). It's nice to know they're widely available and cheap!

I have a 50-inch plasma, and it seems that most 40-55" folks are happy with the way their Wii looks and (more importantly) plays. Time to pick one up and go kill some Space Pirates.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

You're fucking loony!

The 360 has that werid concave thing going on, with a finish that seems to attract cheeto stains.

The PS3 looks like the death star of Forman Grills.

The Wii? Cute little White thing the size of 3 DVDs.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

You're fucking loony!

The 360 has that werid concave thing going on, with a finish that seems to attract cheeto stains.

The PS3 looks like the death star of Forman Grills.

The Wii? Cute little White thing the size of 3 DVDs.

And that pretty glowing blue cd slot... Oh, how it lights up my room at night.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a 32" Samsung HDtv LCD and my Wii looks just fine on it. Not every game that has been released looks good mind you but Iv'e found the games released recently have improved a lot over the launch bunch. Sonic and the Secret Rings looks great as does MP3. I have no doubt Mario and Smash Bros will look equally good considering they are 1st party titles.

.la1n on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Slightly off-topic, but will Nintendo be offering the Wii in black any time soon? I have a black-finish TV, black cable box, black 360 and a black PS3. I know it's silly to worry about color-matching this stuff and I'll be fine with a white Wii, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.