As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Santa 07: Easter Bunnies Apply Here

• Options
    HybridzergHybridzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Hybridzerg wrote: »
    Ok, here I am, FINALLY posting the gift I got from toxk_02. I got it like 2 weeks ago, but just haven't gotten to it between christmas, new years, work and other stuff. I got an amazing assortment of gifts, including (in no particular order, spoilered for h-scroll):
    A free round of drinks at Subway (Which is awesome because I need to eat HEALTHY fast food more often)
    102_1387.jpg

Some Blue Moon Beads that look like bees and a centipede or something. Anyway's, they look awesome and I'm sure i'll discover a purpose for them :P
    102_1386.jpg

An awesome black and white photo of some hardcore dude diving for home. Totally going in my room.
    102_1385.jpg

This one was a little unusual, it was a SINGING Spanish-English dictionary.
    102_1384.jpg
    I kid you not, if opened to the page with hermano on it (means "brother" by the way), revealed a little mechanism that play The Final Countdown with a little note saying "Pay attention in Spanish class, mon frere. I guess that means brother in french. I only realized the true awesomeness of this gift until I watched the next part of this awesome series of presents...

...Season One of Arrested Development!
    102_1381.jpg
    I had only seen this show disjointedly a few times on TV, so I had no idea how awesome this show was.

I also got 1600 Microsoft points, which was perfect, because I reaally wanted to buy Psychonauts on Live, but I lacked to points to do so. It's an awesome game, by the way, Yahtzee was totally right.
    102_1382.jpg

And finally, the first installment of the Han Solo Trilogy, The Paradise Snare by Ann Crispin.
    102_1380.jpg
    I had read it already, but I only checked it out from the library, so owning it to reread is AWESOME. Now I really want to but the third, seeing as I already have the second.

So, thank you so much for everything toxk! The gifts were awesome!
    You're welcome! I was hoping you hadn't read that series but I should have known better. I originally was looking for a Matt Stover book however you seem to have read them all, then I was disappointed to learn his new Star Wars novel isn't out 'til next Oct.

Glad everything got there in one piece and kudos on selecting Psychonauts. :^:

Haha, that Spanish-English dictionary was so awesome!

Yeah I was really confused at first, but now it's probably my third favorite part of the gift (after Arrested Development and points/Psychonauts) how does that work anyway? I'm curious how that was made.

Hybridzerg on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zarcath wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    Has there been any word from those missing Santas, Captain K?

Note: by posting this, I'm pretty much karmically assuring that my gift arrives tomorrow, thus making me look like a tool.

you never think it'll happen to you, and when it does, your world falls apart :( I keep going down to the post office, thinking, TODAYS THE DAY, only to be greeted with bills and male enhancers. I got the short end this year. :(

Just use some of those male enhancers, and you won't be getting the short end anymore
    :winky:

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WOOO FATTY.

I'm glad you like them.

I tried those sticks out (I hope you don't mind) and got really nice response on them, so I hope they work well for you.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I get in yesterday to find a box on my desk, not really thinking it was a Secret Santa one, since it is January (And no, Accualt, that's not a jab at yah... it was totally worth the wait).

I open it up, and i see these things along with very cryptic notes (oh and a copy of City of Villains ... which sadly did not make the picture because i forgot).

2173662312_e280818e4e.jpg

But wait, you ask. What is that thing BEHIND BLOOPERS WRESTLING?

Why, it's a chest.

2172875121_a007d9250a.jpg

And in this chest... total sweetness:

2172877677_89379a69b0.jpg

It is in fact a custom case for my ping pong paddle (he actually included a different one, but i replaced it with mine, which fits perfectly flush with the mold), and a merch/fleshreaper wristband... and my very own Khoo Headband, all of which i guess his wife taught him to cross stitch.

So sweet!

2172880115_1ef50ee96a.jpg

Thanks man!

Haha! So sorry they were late but, hey, I made the headband while waiting on Daredevil to show up in the mail so it wasn't a complete loss. I owe the wife big time for showing (and helping) me how to make those things. I made it through nearly two seasons of Veronica Mars while working on those and subsequently had my man card revoked. :cry: I was absolutely befuddled as to what gift I could get you so it is great to see you enjoy these, doubly since your own paddle fit the mold. I figured you'd have a special/favorite/nice paddle you'd want to use being a true Ping Pong Warrior, and all. :)

Accualt on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, it's a great gift. I'm looking forward to the next PA table tennis adventure -- assuming Khoo puts it on Flickr, like usual, maybe we'll see the stuff in action. I also imagine carefully removing a paddle from its own, awesome chest, with its red and black surfaces almost glowing with power consumed from the previously vanquished, will give them the psychological edge they need to win.

And Khoo, dude -- we know Mike and Jerry are dragging you down. You need to lose those deadweights and take your rightful place as champion of the prestigious Video Game Industry Table Tennis Circuit. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zarcath wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    Has there been any word from those missing Santas, Captain K?

Note: by posting this, I'm pretty much karmically assuring that my gift arrives tomorrow, thus making me look like a tool.

you never think it'll happen to you, and when it does, your world falls apart :( I keep going down to the post office, thinking, TODAYS THE DAY, only to be greeted with bills and male enhancers. I got the short end this year. :(

I don't know who had me, but so far I have heard neither hide nor hair from anyone regarding the Santa status.

It's kind of disappointing; but I'm afraid that by saying as such I'm going, as zarcath put it "Karmically insure" something amazing arrives, like tomorrow.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    HybridzergHybridzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well my gift went out on Sunday (yeah, I know it was late) but I mailed it express (27.60 shipping, yikes!), and when they tried to deliver it this morning my Santee wasn't there to recieve it :(. They have logged on today, so they haven't fallen of the edge of the world, so I'm hopeful for their second attempt.

Hybridzerg on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Ok, here I am, FINALLY posting the gift I got from toxk_02. I got it like 2 weeks ago, but just haven't gotten to it between christmas, new years, work and other stuff. I got an amazing assortment of gifts, including (in no particular order, spoilered for h-scroll):
    A free round of drinks at Subway (Which is awesome because I need to eat HEALTHY fast food more often)
    102_1387.jpg

Some Blue Moon Beads that look like bees and a centipede or something. Anyway's, they look awesome and I'm sure i'll discover a purpose for them :P
    102_1386.jpg

An awesome black and white photo of some hardcore dude diving for home. Totally going in my room.
    102_1385.jpg

This one was a little unusual, it was a SINGING Spanish-English dictionary.
    102_1384.jpg
    I kid you not, if opened to the page with hermano on it (means "brother" by the way), revealed a little mechanism that play The Final Countdown with a little note saying "Pay attention in Spanish class, mon frere. I guess that means brother in french. I only realized the true awesomeness of this gift until I watched the next part of this awesome series of presents...

...Season One of Arrested Development!
    102_1381.jpg
    I had only seen this show disjointedly a few times on TV, so I had no idea how awesome this show was.

I also got 1600 Microsoft points, which was perfect, because I reaally wanted to buy Psychonauts on Live, but I lacked to points to do so. It's an awesome game, by the way, Yahtzee was totally right.
    102_1382.jpg

And finally, the first installment of the Han Solo Trilogy, The Paradise Snare by Ann Crispin.
    102_1380.jpg
    I had read it already, but I only checked it out from the library, so owning it to reread is AWESOME. Now I really want to but the third, seeing as I already have the second.

So, thank you so much for everything toxk! The gifts were awesome!
    You're welcome! I was hoping you hadn't read that series but I should have known better. I originally was looking for a Matt Stover book however you seem to have read them all, then I was disappointed to learn his new Star Wars novel isn't out 'til next Oct.

Glad everything got there in one piece and kudos on selecting Psychonauts. :^:

Haha, that Spanish-English dictionary was so awesome!

Yeah I was really confused at first, but now it's probably my third favorite part of the gift (after Arrested Development and points/Psychonauts) how does that work anyway? I'm curious how that was made.
    Alright here's the story. I had the the book and xbox points and was looking for something else to finish the package. I looked around my place and found my love of Arrested Development and decided to share it. I actually had a much longer list of AD gags to send but there were constraints with shipping and finding some of the items. Sorry Santee :(

The dictionary bit hit me while looking for something else; I was at a thrift store looking for a stuffed seal when I found the Spanish-English dictionary and though it was perfect, then I realized for my Dad's 50th B-day he got a singing card with 'The Final Countdown'. Luckily I was home for the holidays and a little tape and one mutilated card later I had a singing dictionary.

Sorry I don't have a more interesting story but you're welcome to make something up to share with friends.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Pig DestroyerPig Destroyer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Behold! The gift has arrived, well sort of, it arrived, but I wasn't there, so I had to go pick it up. So I guess technically, I arrived...whatever, I'll shut up now.

I opened it in the parking lot at work this morning and it is indeed a pile of awesome. Unfortunately I won't be able to post pics until I get home tonight, but I will give you a preview.

It involves a helmet, and a rock from the Moon.

Pig Destroyer on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This will be my last post in this thread on the matter, I don't want to cross the line into sitewhoring or whatever.

My mum has started a thread in "Artists Corner" which will chronicle the paintings that she is doing for forumers, starting off with another painting of the ICO boxart for Jam Warrior.

Link

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    This will be my last post in this thread on the matter, I don't want to cross the line into sitewhoring or whatever.

My mum has started a thread in "Artists Corner" which will chronicle the paintings that she is doing for forumers, starting off with another painting of the ICO boxart for Jam Warrior.

Link

Ohh, Artist's Corner, are you sure that was wise?

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I have no idea, I have never been there before....

LewieP on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have no idea, I have never been there before....

They're pretty strict about their rules over there. As long as they don't see this as soliciting, you might be ok. Just expect lots of critques no matter what you post.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hi, One of the guys who asked for a pic sent me the link, and suggested I posted there - don't mind critiques, if it helps me improve what I'm doing, all the better, and i don't need more pics to do - I've enough til after Glasto!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hi, One of the guys who asked for a pic sent me the link, and suggested I posted there - don't mind critiques, if it helps me improve what I'm doing, all the better, and i don't need more pics to do - I've enough til after Glasto!
    The folks in that forum are just known for being a little harsh to newcomers, is all. I like the thread and the idea of getting progress updates from you! Just remember, if they run you out of town, you can always come back to G&T (this forum). ;-)

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    The folks in that forum are just known for being a little harsh to newcomers, is all. I like the thread and the idea of getting progress updates from you! Just remember, if they run you out of town, you can always come back to G&T (this forum). ;-)
    That's a definite, you guys are top - I've been reading all the posts on this thread, they are so funny, witty and you generally sound like people I'd get on with, even tho I don't play games, and read books (even if they're gay(!?)) (although not quite sure how that can happen to a book!!)

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh, and I forgot to say Gilrain, I love the picture you have on the bottom of your post, its so pretty, where is it from?

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, and I forgot to say Gilrain, I love the picture you have on the bottom of your post, its so pretty, where is it from?

A webcomic called Minus. It can be found here: http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/minus.html

And yay for painting!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd be completely freaked out by my Mam posting on a forum, the sheer prospect of her using a computer is terrifying enough.

Also I am a partially useless santa, MinionofCthulhu got the first part of my gift, but the second (slightly more personal, but cheaper) part is idling somewhere around the customs area. It should arrive at some point. I hate customs so much.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'll be honest... I'm not really sure what to make of this package. But I'll try all the same.

The box,

IMG_1175.jpg

The note(with one strange Santa candy dispenser),
    IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg
    Dear Santee, sorry this such a damned long time =(
    Anyway, I totally ignored your wants and desires, and gave you what I wanted. Hopefully you'll think it's pretty funny and/or enjoyable, and not stupid or what-not.

Anyway, merry christmas!

Levi(Redfenix)

And one random assortment. O_o

IMG_1177.jpg

Still, it wasn't exactly as shown... these were like mystery DVDs. Shot in the Dark and Thumb Wars(which I've always wanted to see) were as advertised, but the other two...

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Were a bit less predictable.
    (Sleepers actually has a disc for 'The Good Girl' inside of it. O_o)

The other discs are: the GTA Collection(1, 2, and 3, and I've never played the former two, so that's something for me to check out), a Javier Mendoza sampler(?...), a software disc for Treo(?...), and a CD-R labeled 'randomness', which actually has some cool stuff on it(the entire 300 Graphic Novel from the looks of it), and a random assortment of images that range from WoW snapshots to SE++ sketches.

Also, there was a drawing included that was signed by someone else(though it's a nice sketch), so I'm not sure if it was included by accident or what.

You're different, Redfenix, I'll give you that. :P Thanks, all the same. I think this one can't be topped for unpredictability.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=4103172&postcount=2390

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'd be completely freaked out by my Mam posting on a forum, the sheer prospect of her using a computer is terrifying enough.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Also I am a partially useless santa, MinionofCthulhu got the first part of my gift, but the second (slightly more personal, but cheaper) part is idling somewhere around the customs area. It should arrive at some point. I hate customs so much.
    He, he, he, how freaked do you think Lewie is now he knows I have learnt how to search for all his posts!!!!
    He still has to do all the geek stuff for me - last night he had to teach me how to hyperlink and all sorts of other stuff, but there's no stopping me now, cyberstalking takes on a new meaning.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited January 2008

LewieP on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You've got nowhere to run, nowhere the hide.
    D:
    :P

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Too damn right!! Do some work lewie!!!!!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    redfenix wrote: »

wat?

Man, what?

you sent out gifts to 2 different people, and crossed the dvd's up.. therefore intertwining their fates ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    redfenix wrote: »

wat?

Man, what?

you sent out gifts to 2 different people, and crossed the dvd's up.. therefore intertwining their fates ?
    I've been wondering about this way too much ever since I saw cj post his gift.

But that case for Sleepers has a sticker with a 6 on it next to Kevin Bacon's name.

They each also got 6 CDs.

I'm wondering if there's some crazy 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon thing going on here.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    a movie with The Baconator (tm) in it is still 6 degrees away from him ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well...

The Sleepers case didn't have the disc for Sleepers in it, so... maybe?

Man I dunno. I just have to believe there's some logic behind it.

It's just too crazy NOT to.

I mean, like... the other guy got the disc for Sleepers and Mask of Zorro.

Why?

What was the reason?

Why those two movies in particular?

6 seemingly meaningless CDs to each person. 4 DVDs. And seemingly random other stuff.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    Seriously. My brain will not allow me to believe it was meant to be funny and weird. I can't help but think there's something more.
    Then again, I'm strange like that and it probably all means absolutely nothing.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I bet the CD's have split archived .rar files, that you need to put them together to get the whole file.

LewieP on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    whoa, they make singing cards with the Final Countdown?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well...

Why?

What was the reason?

6 seemingly meaningless CDs to each person. 4 DVDs. And seemingly random other stuff.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    Seriously. My brain will not allow me to believe it was meant to be funny and weird. I can't help but think there's something more.

It's what everyone is thinking but doesn't want to come off as an asshole and say.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's a definite, you guys are top - I've been reading all the posts on this thread, they are so funny, witty and you generally sound like people I'd get on with, even tho I don't play games, and read books (even if they're gay(!?)) (although not quite sure how that can happen to a book!!)

wow, she's new here and she's already got down one of our most cherished memes.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Well...

Why?

What was the reason?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    It's what everyone is thinking but doesn't want to come off as an asshole and say.
    I was unafraid and called it out shortly after it was posted. :P

Looks like someone dug out the stuff that falls behind the entertainment center and slapped it in a box.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well...

Why?

What was the reason?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Looks like someone dug out the stuff that falls behind the entertainment center and slapped it in a box.

Xmas did kind of sneak up on us this year. Secret Santa was thrown into turmoil with the new daylight savings rules too.

wait.. was this international ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Xmas did kind of sneak up on us this year. Secret Santa was thrown into turmoil with the new daylight savings rules too.

Unfortunately, yes. George Bush decided to change it, and because the world cannot seem to function without the US, most countries that use daylight savings followed suit.

Nevermind that it was useless and actually cost more to implement than what is (arguably) saved by the change. I know I spent a good 80 working hours on the DST change alone. It was not pleasant. And I didn't notice a difference in how I lived my life.

But I digress.

I made sure I got my gift off early, simply because I didn't want to leave it till the last minute, especially since I was shipping from Canada to the US.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well...

Why?

What was the reason?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Come on, the secret santa thing was organized 2 months in advance. I understand that this time of year is a tight one for most people, financially. Then again, I also understand that if you don't think you can participate in it, then simply don't. There was noone forcing anyone to sent Captain K their email saying they'll participate. I just don't see throwing together a couple of your old movies, some fucking driver disks and an illegal copy of a graphic novel a suitable secret santa gift.

If you suddenly find yourself strapped for cash, fucking make something. Next year, I'm going to send my Santee a couple old books I don't want, the instruction manual for my new monitor, and the broken battery cover from my TV remote control.

There.. now I look like an asshole.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well...

Why?

What was the reason?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Come on, the secret santa thing was organized 2 months in advance. I understand that this time of year is a tight one for most people, financially. Then again, I also understand that if you don't think you can participate in it, then simply don't. There was noone forcing anyone to sent Captain K their email saying they'll participate. I just don't see throwing together a couple of your old movies, some fucking driver disks and an illegal copy of a graphic novel a suitable secret santa gift.

If you suddenly find yourself strapped for cash, fucking make something. Next year, I'm going to send my Santee a couple old books I don't want, the instruction manual for my new monitor, and the broken battery cover from my TV remote control.

There.. now I look like an asshole.

Hi5, asshole brother! ;-)

Edit: it took a lot more Christmas spirit for the Santee to receive the gift so graciously than it did for the Santa to send it, is what's sort of heartbreaking. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In my first year participating this I got a used copy of Super Mario Bros. for the GBA. That was basically it. He explained to me he was a college student and thus poor, so I didn't really felt the need to complain.

Like many, I participated because I like visiting this forum and wanted to give something back to the community, as a thank you if you will. Whatever I received was a bonus. Some people never got anything.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    In my first year participating this I got a used copy of Super Mario Bros. for the GBA. That was basically it. He explained to me he was a college student and thus poor, so I didn't really felt the need to complain.

Like many, I participated because I like visiting this forum and wanted to give something back to the community, as a thank you if you will. Whatever I received was a bonus. Some people never got anything.
    That's a great way to look at it, but the extremely clear rules are there to prevent that sort of thing. If you even half-suspect that maybe you won't be able to hold up your end of the cheer, you shouldn't participate. It's not hard -- even someone unexpectedly poor can do something awesome and meaningful, unless they just don't care enough, in which case they shouldn't participate.

Anyway, there are a few every year, and Captain K will sort it out. I just feel the scrutiny of their peers is good for some of these Santas. :P

gilrain on