As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stop being distracted by CoD4! (Unreal Tournament 3 Demo))

YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
unreal_tournament_2007_3_500.jpg

Who's ready for some fragging?

In case you haven't heard, Unreal Tournament 3 is the next awesome multiplayer shooter from Epic Games, the makers of the Unreal series and Gears of War. This link is to download the jawesome "beta demo" for Unreal Tournament 3. Gonna be a long wait, though.

Link to FileFront Here, so you don't have to wait in that long line.

Minimum System Requirements
- Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
- 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
- 512 Mbytes of System RAM
- NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
- 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Recommended System Requirements
- 2.4+ GHZ Dual Core Processor
- 1 GBytes of System RAM
- NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI x1300+ Video Card
- 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

YardGnome on

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    im getting a forbidden error from the guest servers

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's odd.

...I seem to be logged into an account that's not mine somehow. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

EDIT: It doesn't for me. Are you using IE? It might be a browser problem (Opera doesn't work with it, and I don't know about Firefox)

YardGnome on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It annoys me, for some reason, to see "From the makers of Gears of War!!!oneone!!1!" I mean... If a person thinks of themselves as a gamer, they should have known who Epic Games was long before Gears of War.

Also: Downloading when I get home.

urahonky on
  • Options
    liuzg150181liuzg150181 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gonna download tml after work,hopefully this is the sign that they would release the game on time!

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    tried with camino and safari

same thing

Faricazy on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it a fileplanet only beta or is it a "demo"? If its a demo any of you guys know of a good mirror? :P

powersurge on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This demo is awesome.

Urian on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well this is an awesome thing to wake upto. I was amazed the other day when they released the Minimum Specs that my computer actually was higher then them, but I wasn't about to ever buy the game without playing a demo and seeing how it ran, and now I can. But yeah, any good mirrors so I don't have to wait in the damned Fileplanet queue?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Is it a fileplanet only beta or is it a "demo"? If its a demo any of you guys know of a good mirror? :P
    Yep, Right here.

It's just a demo.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh Jesus, Timeshift (Which is actually quite good, people should check it out), CoD4 and UT3!

Rook on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    It annoys me, for some reason, to see "From the makers of Gears of War!!!oneone!!1!" I mean... If a person thinks of themselves as a gamer, they should have known who Epic Games was long before Gears of War.

Well Epic did make Gears of war, so it isnt misleading. And if you already knew who they were then its not new information.

Despite what many people think, epics biggest hit is gears of war. doesnt surprise me they are referencing it with their next game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    OP updated with better (ie: working) link and a cool pic.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Downloading, although I doubt my computer will run it. But downloading anyway, just in case.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    OP updated again for Walrus Pete and others who want to know the system requirements.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I had the same reaction Urahonky. I was like, "no it's from the Makers of Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2k3 & 2k4 fucksticks."

Also my balls are aching to download this when I get home. I still want to play through HL2 Ep:2 this weekend, and I haven't played TF2 in days. It's an FPS overload.

Drool on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    OP updated again for Walrus Pete and others who want to know the system requirements.

Hey, thanks :)

Turns out I should be able to play it after all. Hooray!

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll have to check this out. UT99 and 2K4 are among my favourite FPS's ever. I loved Assault maps so much, and Onslaught is just damned fun with evenly matched teams. The utter loss of Assault for UT3 makes me sad, but truth be told, all that most people ever did with it after release was make really fucking annoying driving maps.

Look, fuckwits, I know some people find them fun, but after the three hundredth time I've been knocked off this fucking track, I kinda lose the will to go on, despite how much fun being that asshole can be.

All it really led to were REALLY long games unless you had a fucking pro on your team that could sneak out a win in less than half an hour, or whatever the map was set to.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    so this new warfare mode

what is it

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    so this new warfare mode

what is it

"You'll be capturing a series of connected "nodes," which must be destroyed, controlled, and then recharged with the beam of the Link Gun. When either team's base-bound Power Core becomes unlinked from a node, it is rendered vulnerable to attack, and can be subsequently destroyed, ending the round with a win for the attackers.

Warfare differs from Onslaught in one significant way--the addition of orbs. Each team has an orb-spawning point in their base, which produces a single glowing football that anybody can grab and run down the field. The orb is then used as a sort of detonator, which instantly wipes out an opposing team's control of a node, speeding up the process of node control enormously. Only one of these orbs spawns at a time, and if dropped--either by death, or by being knocked off of your hoverboard--a timer slowly ticks down until the orb's self-destruction. In the event that an enemy orb is dropped near your base, you can choose to sacrifice yourself to immediately destroy the orb, ensuring that a random player won't come along and scoop it up for an easy score. This self-sacrifice actually earns you a point, encouraging players to help out their team in this way."

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hoverboard??? I really don't know anything about the new stuff in this game apparently.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    hm

interesting

an attempt at streamlining that i'm not sure will go over well

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    Hoverboard??? I really don't know anything about the new stuff in this game apparently.
    Yep. Pressing Q now lets you ride on a hoverboard, but the tradeoff is you cannot shoot while hovering.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a distinct fear this'll take much longer than COD4 to download. For that reason I'll get it in the morning.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    Yep. Pressing Q now lets you ride on a hoverboard, but the tradeoff is you cannot shoot while hovering.

Awww no hoverboading shootouts. :(

Drool on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    can I do a 720 kickflip though?!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    After playing for a while, here are some observations.

The gameplay is a bit slower (not as insane as ut2k4), flak cannon secondary is slowed down, a lot of the weapon mechanics have changed. Most of it is still the same other than that. Performance is very nice but since this is beta I assume it'll get better with the final release.

Urian on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh awesome

what a way to kick off the weekend

i'm downloading now. super excited.

why has there been this crazy influx of awesome games coming out?! portal, team fortress 2, halo 3, and now a UT3 demo!

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I have a distinct fear this'll take much longer than COD4 to download. For that reason I'll get it in the morning.

It's only around 750 MB, and from the link in my OP, it only took about an hour.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Urian wrote: »

The gameplay is a bit slower (not as insane as ut2k4), flak cannon secondary is slowed down

well, that right there

that doesn't bode well :(

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »

The gameplay is a bit slower (not as insane as ut2k4), flak cannon secondary is slowed down

well, that right there

have faith in them

and don't put your stock in other peoples opinions.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Download DONE!

Time to try it out!

YardGnome on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't played yet, but with the size of the demo I assume that the detail level is locked at medium to save space. Am I right?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The gameplay is a bit slower (not as insane as ut2k4),

good news for me, i couldnt play 2k4 at all. it was just too twitchy for me. UT99 is one of my favorite games ever though, so im definitely looking forward to this.

also, [url=http://home.comcast.net/~infamousdd/UT3BetaDemotorrent.torrent
    ]heres a good torrent link[/url] if anyone wants it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well fuck me. This has to come out the day I'm leaving for my parents' house for the weekend where there is no computer with a decent graphics card anywhere.

I am so jealous of all you assholes.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yea im about to go to a lake in the mountains for the weekend in about an hour, so im downloading this in preparation for when i get back. im fine with the compromise of playing this a couple days later, in this particular instance.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Don't be jealous of me, it crashes whenever I run it. D:

YardGnome on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it just me, or is it impossible to connect to a server?

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gah I can't get the blasted thing to install under vista. Kinda wanted to see if DX10 was in yet. I hit run on the installer and then it just sits there. Maybe I'll have better luck on my XP partition :x

powersurge on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »

well, that right there

have faith in them

and don't put your stock in other peoples opinions.

At least he isn't already hating the game. People immediately hate on TF2 due to the lack of grenades, and that's before they even play it (which I doubt most will).

urahonky on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it just me, or is it impossible to connect to a server?

It's not just you. I've tried quick match and joining specific ones, but it just sits at "Connecting" forever.

I played a Vehicle CTF locally with bots and it was great. Very nice game. Runs exceptionally well too on the maximum settings and max widescreen res.

Now... how bout that multiplayer..

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment