As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Their priests fell by the sword, and their widows made no lamentation

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ranger sounds fun. Actually having to aim should make combat a lot more engaging. Plus, you can get special shots that penetrate people, hitting people hiding behind them. Which means if you actively line yourself up with people you can get some big penetration damage. Should make combat a lot more thoughtful. And wreak havoc on tight formations. ;-)

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I shall be Conan the Librarian!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PRetty sure I'll be either a Dark templar, or a lich.

I'll try them all though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bear shaman. Definitely.

It says they can turn into a bear, that's all I need to know. I always go for the classes that can turn into bears. Only reason why I played a druid in WoW.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bear shaman. Definitely.

It says they can turn into a bear, that's all I need to know. I always go for the classes that can turn into bears. Only reason why I played a druid in WoW.

Reading the AoC wiki, I saw this:
    * Q: In an answer to one of the class questions, you stated "Scions of Set do not turn into a snake and chomp away.". Are Scions of Set not able to turn into actual snakes like the class preview leads us to believe?
    * A: Neither the Bear Shaman or Scion of Set are full poly-morphers. They're being imbued with the energies of their totem creature if you will are presented in other ways.

I think that answer was kinda vague for the Bear Shaman.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If they don't turn into bears then I'm not making one.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game looks like a lot of fun. I don't have it in me to do the WoW raid-style life anymore so hopefully AoC lets you pop in once or twice a week and wreck stuff up.

zilo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I pretty much swore off MMO's (except Guild Wars) but this one has me pretty excited. My roommate is really looking forward to WAR but I'd rather play this (though WAR looks fine too, just not AS fine)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    zilo wrote: »
    This game looks like a lot of fun. I don't have it in me to do the WoW raid-style life anymore so hopefully AoC lets you pop in once or twice a week and wreck stuff up.

Keeps only go up for grabs once a week (or, up to once every three days, depending on how the owning guild sets it). Couple that with the fact that the defending and attacking guilds can hire players for gold to help attack and defend, it means that even an unguilded, casual player can get some get into the big time PvP scene.

Hmm, and now I am torn between Guardian and Barbarian as who would make the best big fat lout.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I can get some free webhosting/design from my brother! Oh happy days! I'll see what I can do about getting the site going over the next few days. Name suggestions are still needed!

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    "The Sons of Krahulik" has got a good ring too it. Sounds Conan-ish, and a subltle Starcraft and Penny-Arcade reference rolled into one.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That is actually pretty badass, and easily adaptable to Conan.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree

piL on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do you think we should email Gabe and ask? It is his last name after all. I'd be down to send him an email if you guys want.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll send it!

Edit: Sent.

Double edit: He says go for it.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gabe's awesome.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I sent a reply asking his opinion on it, but no response so far.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bumpery! Alright, tell me what kind of stuff you want on our website (other than a forum) to make it awesome. I'll look into getting a domain name and the like.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perhaps a poll or something to show who's playing what first.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think a forum topic can do that.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll just assume that we can't just inject the current thread with a poll?

I'll most likely be whatever classes the stygians get. Scion of Set, Assassin, or Herald of Xotli.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll be whatever class lets me put an axe in some dudes face.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    I'll be whatever class lets me put an axe in some dudes face.

That would be....

You're going to have to narrow it down here, I can't think of many people who can't put an axe in peoples faces.

Assassins, maybe? Rangers won't be very good at it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn, I didn't really have any interest in this game but now that I've watched some of the newer videos on the site I'm pretty hyped. I love the wide open landscape they have. It gives me hope that I can just have fun running around and exploring like in the AC days.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just watched some more videos of the gameplay in Conan. Even though the sounds were obviously unfinished, and all I saw was low level PvPing, it still seemed a lot more fun than what I've seen of WAR (which is my other MMO candidate of 2008)

I thought the game looked really iffy in the screenshots and in that horrible siege movie, but in these movies that I saw now, everything looked pretty good. Actually, it looked really good.

:^:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So... "The Sons of Krahulik" or "The Arcadians"

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I vote Sons of Krahulik

piL on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    piL wrote: »
    I vote Sons of Krahulik

Ditto

edit- Also watched those videos.

CTF? Boring! If they are going to have a CTF game type then it should be CTW (Capture The Woman) The Red team and Blue Team are both after each others sex slaves. You run in grab the girl, throw her over your shoulder and try to run back to your fort with her.

Axen on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The videos did seem kinda boring. One guy hacking away at another who's just standing there?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    They should post beta footage of two characters fighting, but played by actual people. I don't think anyone is truly interested in PvE at this point, I wanna see people fight.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    those were pvp videos

Here's a link to a hands on article written by some guy
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/191/setView/features/loadFeature/1631

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Those videos look good (except for the first one). Generally, MMO gameplay videos I've seen are pretty lame and boring to begin with. So I don't really know what people are expecting.

Some other videos I've seen of mmos being "exciting" resembled too much like a footage of some first/third person shooter. Maybe that's what people want*?

*I don't

ze swift class on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    piL wrote: »
    I vote Sons of Krahulik

Ditto

Indeed.

And I'll be going Necro as my main. Hopefully I'll get a new computer early next year, or the 360 version will use the same servers as the Windows edition.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ugh those videos looked awful. I was really excited about this game about 6 months ago, but everything i've seen recently just turns me off. I mean it's supposed to be a visceral and exhilarating combat system. That just looked boring and frustrating. Hopefully they sort it out before release. (thank fuck they pushed it back!)

Lly on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sons of Krahulik gets my vote(Though I still like Barbaric Linguists :[ ).

My guess is Bear Shaman.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The combat system, as seen in those videos, look neither better nor worse than the combat shown in almost every other mmo out there ever

At least this one has a combo system, and defense system which instantly makes it more interesting than 90% of the other stuff out there.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    The combat system, as seen in those videos, look neither better nor worse than the combat shown in almost every other mmo out there ever

At least this one has a combo system, and defense system which instantly makes it more interesting than 90% of the other stuff out there.
    That's what I'm thinking. I've got absolutely zero interest in it being Conan. I've got zero interest in decapitations and dismemberment. And the fact that this is Funcom fills my heart with dread.

...but a good combat system can overcome all of that. So, we'll see.

But dear god, guys, the class system. It could not possibly be any more generic. It literally looks like it was ripped right out of Dark Age of Camelot, and then sprinkled with a touch of Vanguard.

But hey, if the combat's good, I'm there. Planning on checking this one out on the 360.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    But dear god, guys, the class system. It could not possibly be any more generic. It literally looks like it was ripped right out of Dark Age of Camelot, and then sprinkled with a touch of Vanguard.

You start out as a commoner, move to archetype at 5, and actual class at 20; the developers said that getting to 20 wouldn't take more than 8 hours. It's mostly for use as a gradual introduction, starting with hitting things with sticks, UI manipulation, and then moving up to soldier/mage to learn how to use combos/spells.

It's actually exactly like the old EQ2 system.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I like it.

TheLawinator on
This discussion has been closed.