As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help name this Japanese food for me.

KelorKelor Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got back from Japan and while I was over there one of the local restaurants near where I was staying had this meal, it was white and green bean shoots with thinly cut pieces of beef with it and some sort of sauce. No pasta, just served with a bowl of rice and miso soup.

The name was too long for me to remember but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot at home. It was a ramen shop if that helps.

Anyone happen to know what the name of this would be so I can look up the recipe?

Kelor on

• Options
    XntrggrXntrggr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Could've been gyudon. Might be a better version of that where they serve thicker beef and separate it from the rice.

Yoshinoya serves this, IIRC.

Sure it was beef? Tonkatsu sounds like what you ate, except that it's pork. Deep fried pork.

Xntrggr on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Xntrggr wrote: »
    Could've been gyudon. Might be a better version of that where they serve thicker beef and separate it from the rice.

Yoshinoya serves this, IIRC.

Sure it was beef? Tonkatsu sounds like what you ate, except that it's pork. Deep fried pork.

It didn't look to similar to Gyudon, there wasn't a great deal of broth/sauce in it but it was served in one of those shallow bowls, then rice in a separate bowl. The meal seemed to replace the usual rice/noodles with the bean shoots, then maybe a half dozen strips of beef with it.

Thanks for the help though, I'd had a look around as well and haven't managed to find anything similar.

Kelor on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My wife (who is Japanese) thinks it was Liver & Nira (Chinese chives)

reba_nira_itame.jpg

I think it might have just been a bowl of char-shu (chinese roast pork) with nira and beansprouts.

(she's probably right)

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »
    My wife (who is Japanese) thinks it was Liver & Nira (Chinese chives)

reba_nira_itame.jpg

I think it might have just been a bowl of char-shu (chinese roast pork) with nira and beansprouts.

(she's probably right)

That picture does look very similar to what I had. Is the picture of the liver and nira or Char-shu?

Kelor on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    liver and nira. She says it's pretty common in ramen shops too.

And people mistake liver for beef all the time. I've had similar conversations before.

Nira are kind of like an aromatic, garlicky chive.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.