As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire: HBO TV Series!

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
About of ASOIAF (by request ;)): A Song of Ice and Fire is an epic fantasy series written by George R. R. Martin. Many (including me) call it the best fantasy series of all time. Yes even great than Lord of the Rings.
Here are some links to the books on amazon
Clicky

Meh, thought I would make this thread. The new one is (hopefully) coming out in a couple of months, and I know there are heaps of ppl on this board who are looking forward to it.

Just abit of thought/question to start it off. Who do you reckon will end up with the throne at the end of the series?

[spoiler:756456ae0c] I personally think it will be Jon (who doesn't deserve it really), or perhaps Dany.

Is anyone else rooting for Stannis?[/spoiler:756456ae0c]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Hey, cool. I'm just now getting through Game of Thrones. I'll have to fly through the first 3 so I can read the 4th.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Adrenaline wrote:
    Hey, cool. I'm just now getting through Game of Thrones. I'll have to fly through the first 3 so I can read the 4th.

haha, I'm sure you will have no problem. They are incredibly addictive.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Adrenaline wrote:

Yeah, bigtime. At the moment I'm hating Catelyn for

[spoiler:932dd62d53]taking Tyrion when he didn't do anything.[/spoiler:932dd62d53]

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    So, hows about a little summary for those who don't know what this is?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Adrenaline wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Adrenaline wrote:

Yeah, bigtime. At the moment I'm hating Catelyn for

[spoiler:9bd5051d58]taking Tyrion when he didn't do anything.[/spoiler:9bd5051d58]

[spoiler:9bd5051d58]Yeah, Catelyn really irritates me aswell. I really dont like her/[/spoiler:9bd5051d58]

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Tarranon wrote:
    It's an epic fantasy tale. I'm sure somebody else can tell you more, I'm only 300 pages into the first book.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Tarranon wrote:
    k, just edited the first post. Its not much, but I'm sure people can find out more themselves.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:
    k, just edited the first post. Its not much, but I'm sure people can find out more themselves.
    Looks good, except nothing is better than Lord of the Rings.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Adrenaline wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:

haha, you may change your mind abit later on.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Adrenaline wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:

haha, you may change your mind abit later on.
    I highly doubt that, I'm a huge Tolkien nerd. :P

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Tarranon wrote:
    Well you know, a guy posting to you from the internet is a bit more personal than looking up the summary at amazon, ne?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    PrincepsPrinceps Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Heh, I see you like Jaime quite a bit there Dublo.

Well I do to he's definitely one of my favorite characters.

Though probably my most favorite would have to be Sandor Clegane. So badass, yet [spoiler:c87fd1db9a]so filled with pain, anger, and the fear you see in him with his encounters with fire and all his scenes with Sansa and Arya where he's a better person than almost everyone around him,[/spoiler:c87fd1db9a] make him so great.

By the way an asoiaf thread has been sorely needed.

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
    The minor fall, the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    I keep confusing this series with the 'a sword from grey ice' trilogy, and then wondering what the fuss is about.

i should probably catch up with my reading...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Princeps wrote:

Though probably my most favorite would have to be Sandor Clegane. So badass, yet [spoiler:e7732a23f0]so filled with pain, anger, and the fear you see in him with his encounters with fire and all his scenes with Sansa and Arya where he's a better person than almost everyone around him,[/spoiler:e7732a23f0] make him so great.

I totally agree. Sandor is a great character.

Did you guys read about what is happening with Feast for Crows?
    [spoiler:e7732a23f0]Its being split into certain characters because it was so long. Then the rest of the characters are being saved for Dance with Dragons. There isn't going to be any Tyrion chapters in 'Feast' :( [/spoiler:e7732a23f0]

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    God yes, ASoIaF is fantastic.

I'm actually rooting for a [spoiler:b707f95124]Greyjoy[/spoiler:b707f95124]to take the throne, failing that[spoiler:b707f95124]Stannis[/spoiler:b707f95124]

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    MaladictMaladict Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I'm going to read these books, but first I need to finish off some books that I'm currently reading. Just a question:

The third book (A Storm of Swords)... I found a paperback edition series I liked, and it has this book seperated into two volumes. Any idea what that's about? Part 1: Blood and Gold, Part 2: Steel and Snow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-5591737-9234223

Maladict on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Princeps wrote:

Though probably my most favorite would have to be Sandor Clegane. So badass, yet [spoiler:2231743d6f]so filled with pain, anger, and the fear you see in him with his encounters with fire and all his scenes with Sansa and Arya where he's a better person than almost everyone around him,[/spoiler:2231743d6f] make him so great.

I totally agree. Sandor is a great character.

Did you guys read about what is happening with Feast for Crows?
    [spoiler:2231743d6f]Its being split into certain characters because it was so long. Then the rest of the characters are being saved for Dance with Dragons. There isn't going to be any Tyrion chapters in 'Feast' :( [/spoiler:2231743d6f]

Yeah I'd read all about that.[spoiler:2231743d6f] Most unfortunate about the tyrion chapters but it sounds like it'll be much faster more interesting reading for me because I almost always got into the Westeros chapters most and then a Dany or a Jon chapter coming out of nowhere would sometimes piss me off.[/spoiler:2231743d6f]

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Maladict wrote:
    I'm going to read these books, but first I need to finish off some books that I'm currently reading. Just a question:

The third book (A Storm of Swords)... I found a paperback edition series I liked, and it has this book seperated into two volumes. Any idea what that's about? Part 1: Blood and Gold, Part 2: Steel and Snow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-5591737-9234223

They're all long-ass books, A Storm of Swords being the longest. And in almost every country but the US I understand they are usually separated in more easily published and consumed parts.

But like seriously in Germany(or some other Europeans country) they have like four books for each of our normal books.

Suffice to say we seem to have the best of it.

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    TDL wrote:

I'm actually rooting for a [spoiler:aef91af061]Greyjoy[/spoiler:aef91af061]to take the throne, failing that[spoiler:aef91af061]Stannis[/spoiler:aef91af061]
    Really? [spoiler:aef91af061] I fucking hate Greyjoys[/spoiler:aef91af061]

:lol:

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    TDL wrote:

I'm actually rooting for a [spoiler:b4b5265502]Greyjoy[/spoiler:b4b5265502]to take the throne, failing that[spoiler:b4b5265502]Stannis[/spoiler:b4b5265502]
    Really? [spoiler:b4b5265502] I fucking hate Greyjoys[/spoiler:b4b5265502]

He is indeed one of the msot pompous assholsih characters ever.

One thing I'm most looking forward is

[spoiler:b4b5265502] He seems to be setting up both Jaime and The Hound as charatcers who are able to redeem themselves. I grew to like both of them quite a bit in the third book [/spoiler:b4b5265502]

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    TDL wrote:

I'm actually rooting for a [spoiler:4a3279cb41]Greyjoy[/spoiler:4a3279cb41]to take the throne, failing that[spoiler:4a3279cb41]Stannis[/spoiler:4a3279cb41]
    Really? [spoiler:4a3279cb41] I fucking hate Greyjoys[/spoiler:4a3279cb41]

[spoiler:4a3279cb41] He seems to be setting up both Jaime and The Hound as charatcers who are able to redeem themselves. I grew to like both of them quite a bit in the third book [/spoiler:4a3279cb41]
    [spoiler:4a3279cb41]Yeah I totally agree. I would love to see Jaime become a 'hero' type character. He could do some great things.[/spoiler:4a3279cb41]

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    TDL wrote:

I'm actually rooting for a [spoiler:83fc45cc1c]Greyjoy[/spoiler:83fc45cc1c]to take the throne, failing that[spoiler:83fc45cc1c]Stannis[/spoiler:83fc45cc1c]
    Really? [spoiler:83fc45cc1c] I fucking hate Greyjoys[/spoiler:83fc45cc1c]

[spoiler:83fc45cc1c] He seems to be setting up both Jaime and The Hound as charatcers who are able to redeem themselves. I grew to like both of them quite a bit in the third book [/spoiler:83fc45cc1c]

[spoiler:83fc45cc1c]Of course he left The Hound nearly dead which made me sad but I'm sure if he was really done with the character he'd be a little more than nearly...[/spoiler:83fc45cc1c]

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Love these books, but someone refresh me on what happened to the mercenary Bron? He was my favorite character for some reason, but I cannot remember if he's still ticking.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah , Catelyn is a bitch. I don't like Eddard either.

[spoiler:f670b74b14]but then he got his head lopped off so it's all good[/spoiler:f670b74b14]

I feel really bad for Sansa. Seriously. I'm starting to like her more than Arya.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    How can you not like Eddard? I mean, the guy is all about doing what needs to be done and accepting the costs of his actions.

Of course I've only finished the first book, so maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    How can you not like Eddard? I mean, the guy is all about doing what needs to be done and accepting the costs of his actions.

Of course I've only finished the first book, so maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.
    Well yeah, but he's all like "Ooh Lyanna, ooh Robert, I'm a pillar of strength, the south is a viper's den, blah blah blah". I mean with all the talk of him kicking ass, I expected him to well, kick more ass.

[spoiler:4dad320340]Jaime slaughters his men while he freaks out, and a horse falls on him? That's just ridiculous[/spoiler:4dad320340]

• Options
    edited August 2005
    I don't dislike Catelyn either. I don't like everything she does but she lives her life for her family. Everything she does is to try to make her kid's lives netter. Even if she is a whiny bitch in the process.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Well I always wondered how hard it must be for Martin to walk that line with his characters, especially the Starks,[spoiler:ab7ed2f9e7] who just get so screwed over leaving Catelyn pretty much alone in her eyes. The dilemma as an author to me would be how much grief and pain should you illustrate in your characters so its realistic relative to all the horrible shit they go through, while simultaneously not getting repetitive and making the chapters drag.[/spoiler:ab7ed2f9e7]

Princeps on
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    [spoiler:9a4a562957]exiled queen/princess for the Westoria throne or whatever.[/spoiler:9a4a562957]

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    RanuleRanule Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Concerning Arya

[spoiler:a3e1c12f70]I wonder what sort of significance that coin holds, as it seems to have helped Arya out on a number of occasions, such as at the end of the third book for example.[/spoiler:a3e1c12f70]

Ranule on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Ranule wrote:
    Concerning Arya

[spoiler:c3295dc790]I wonder what sort of significance that coin holds, as it seems to have helped Arya out on a number of occasions, such as at the end of the third book for example.[/spoiler:c3295dc790]

[spoiler:c3295dc790] I'm almsot certain that the guy who gives it to her is one of the FacelessMen Assasians they mention in passing several times. Explains why he can change his appearance and stuff. I think Arya is going to end up going and training with then. [/spoiler:c3295dc790]

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Great books, but he took way too long to write them. I'll be fucked if I can remember half of what happened so far--they're incredibly labrynthine, and I don't devote the mental space to remembering a plot like that for more than a couple years.

Also: lots and lots of sex. Much of it is laughable.

[spoiler:e9ba440097]Fucking your sister on a church alter while she's on her period. Also, Midgets.[/spoiler:e9ba440097]

MrMister on
  • Options
    Mind ColumbusMind Columbus Registered User new member
    edited August 2005
    MrMister wrote:
    Great books, but he took way too long to write them. I'll be fucked if I can remember half of what happened so far--they're incredibly labrynthine, and I don't devote the mental space to remembering a plot like that for more than a couple years.

I agree. I just started the second book after a long haitus from the first and some of the plots are a bit hazy for me now. Has anyone compiled a short synopsis of the different houses and what their general schemes are?

Mind Columbus on
  • Options
    AriochArioch Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Actually, because the plots are so complex and overlapping, it's pretty much impossible to write any kind of helpful summary. What I recommend is going back and rereading the first book(s) just from one or characters' point of view. It'll mention all the major events, and gives a really focused sense of the narrative.

Or, you could brush up on the history of the Wars of the Roses, since much of it is based on that.

What I really like about these books is how much they go against fantasy conventions (in other words, they don't try to recreate LoTR over and over). As was previously mentioned, you'd expect Eddard to be taken down by hordes of guys in a heroic, hopless battle...but instead his horse falls on him and he gets captured, which is something that would pretty much only happen in real life. Other fantasy books, I know there's going to be an all-powerful evil guy who needs a magic thing to take over the world and a ragged band of misfits, probably including a village idiot who dreams of being a knight, will go on a hopeless quest to get it back. Good old George can actually surprise me.

Arioch on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Cass wrote:

[spoiler:95619f796e]but then he got his head lopped off so it's all good[/spoiler:95619f796e]

I feel really bad for Sansa. Seriously. I'm starting to like her more than Arya.
    I'm not too fond on either of the Stark daughters.[spoiler:95619f796e]Sansa is a little stupid cow. She brought most of it on herself.[/spoiler:95619f796e]

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Arioch wrote:
    What I really like about these books is how much they go against fantasy conventions (in other words, they don't try to recreate LoTR over and over). As was previously mentioned, you'd expect Eddard to be taken down by hordes of guys in a heroic, hopless battle...but instead his horse falls on him and he gets captured, which is something that would pretty much only happen in real life. Other fantasy books, I know there's going to be an all-powerful evil guy who needs a magic thing to take over the world and a ragged band of misfits, probably including a village idiot who dreams of being a knight, will go on a hopeless quest to get it back. Good old George can actually surprise me

I totally agree. I was very appreciative of the fact that the series thus far hasn't been focused on some grand quest. Its more like a positively cutthroat political drama in a fantasy setting really.

With regards to Bronn (who incidentally was also one of my favorite characters - best example of a sellsword ever), I do believe he's still around and kicking after [spoiler:f33641148c] taking payment from Cersei in the form of coin, knighthood, marriage and lands for betraying Tyrion[/spoiler:f33641148c]

I'm not sure if we'll run into him again, but I'd absolutely love to see how he'd fair against Ser Gregor the Mountain. Speaking of which, I wonder if Mr. Martin will send me into shock some day by actually devoting chapters to a narrative from Gregor's point of view. For all you hear about him throughout the books, you don't really get much exposure to him except for the time he [spoiler:f33641148c] bashes in Prince Oberyn's skull with his bare fucking hands - ouch! [/spoiler:f33641148c] .

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Cass wrote:

[spoiler:39c36a46cd]but then he got his head lopped off so it's all good[/spoiler:39c36a46cd]

I'm not too fond on either of the Stark daughters.[spoiler:39c36a46cd]Sansa is a little stupid cow. She brought most of it on herself.[/spoiler:39c36a46cd]

I sympathise a whole bunch with Sansa. I mean, it doesn't matter how stupid you are, you don't deserve

[spoiler:39c36a46cd]getting stripped and beaten in front of the court[/spoiler:39c36a46cd]

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Cass wrote:
    I sympathise a whole bunch with Sansa. I mean, it doesn't matter how stupid you are, you don't deserve
    [spoiler:445a93f818]
    getting stripped and beaten in front of the court
    [/spoiler:445a93f818]

I find myself being both sympathetic and frustrated when it comes to Sansa. On the one hand, she really doesn't deserve the kind of trouble she's in. At the same time though, she's definitely not the sharpest tool in the toolbox sometimes. I think part of what makes her tale interesting though is the sort of 'school of hard knocks' trial she's more or less going through. She's already learned not to trust everyone, and that she needs to be far more guarded with her opinions and thoughts in a court environment.

Arya on the other hand is definitely fairly smart, and more importantly, she can be very perceptive. What she lacks however is discretion - she can be extremely headstrong. I'm dying to see what happens when/if

[spoiler:445a93f818]
    she runs into the Faceless Men in Braavos. It'd be awesome to see her begin training as an assassin.
    [/spoiler:445a93f818]

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Arioch wrote:
    What I really like about these books is how much they go against fantasy conventions (in other words, they don't try to recreate LoTR over and over). As was previously mentioned, you'd expect Eddard to be taken down by hordes of guys in a heroic, hopless battle...but instead his horse falls on him and he gets captured, which is something that would pretty much only happen in real life. Other fantasy books, I know there's going to be an all-powerful evil guy who needs a magic thing to take over the world and a ragged band of misfits, probably including a village idiot who dreams of being a knight, will go on a hopeless quest to get it back. Good old George can actually surprise me

I totally agree. I was very appreciative of the fact that the series thus far hasn't been focused on some grand quest. Its more like a positively cutthroat political drama in a fantasy setting really.

With regards to Bronn (who incidentally was also one of my favorite characters - best example of a sellsword ever), I do believe he's still around and kicking after [spoiler:9b01403823] taking payment from Cersei in the form of coin, knighthood, marriage and lands for betraying Tyrion[/spoiler:9b01403823]

I'm not sure if we'll run into him again, but I'd absolutely love to see how he'd fair against Ser Gregor the Mountain. Speaking of which, I wonder if Mr. Martin will send me into shock some day by actually devoting chapters to a narrative from Gregor's point of view. For all you hear about him throughout the books, you don't really get much exposure to him except for the time he [spoiler:9b01403823] bashes in Prince Oberyn's skull with his bare fucking hands - ouch! [/spoiler:9b01403823] .

Ah, for fuck sake
    [spoiler:9b01403823]Gregor fucking Clegane disgusts me. I hope he gets whats coming to him.[/spoiler:9b01403823]

[spoiler:9b01403823]I'm really anxious to see what happens with that coin with Arya, it should be very interesting

Of course I sometimes sympathize for Sansa, but her ignorance is what infuriates me. I must say however, Arya is very clever, I loved the way she escaped from Harrenhal (slitting that guards throat etc). But yeah, she is very headstrong. [/spoiler:9b01403823]

Hodor, hodor, hodor?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    I fucking hate Sansa. She's the Minmei of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.