As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: New Ver. RELEASED! Now in 3 ASCII dimensions! (NSF56K)

• Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sophismata wrote: »
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Actually... this is all wrong. Yes, you must specify a ramp from below... but there is some other top component that I can't figure out.

Okay, each tile has a middle, a ceiling and a floor.

I think this is an over-complex way of looking at it; you can't really perform any actions that affect the "ceiling" of a tile but not the "floor" of the one above. Easiest just to say each tile has a middle and a floor, since that's what you see on the screen.

Went past 50 dwarves today, and my Mayor started getting greedy, wanting "decent quarters" and crap like that. So I threw bags at the problem - with a legendary clothier (producer of Omristgim Stëlmithnobangtölúnôtthat, the translation of which is so long it doesn't fit on my screen) and pretty good weaver and dyer, even the bad plant fiber bags are worth 200+ dwarf-money. I'm sure any future greedy nobles will also submit to pressure from the textiles guild.

Mith on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just had a marksdwarf off duty, made a target (make sure to make it a room and set direction or whatever), and then had my bonecrafter make bone bolts.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I require more pretty picturs of fortresses be posted in this thead.

My own fortress, Toolplanes:
    Spoiler'd for huge (srsly).
    Ground floor
    toolplanes2ul7.jpg
    Directly above ground
    toolplanes1bs1.jpg
    First floor down
    toolplanes3rn7.jpg
    Second floor down
    toolplanes4oa4.jpg
    The floor below this one is being mined.
    Lets see your fortress, I'm curious as to what people have come up with.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just started another fortress.

It's wonderful.

I may be gettng a bit epic for my own good though, the dorfs' first sleep is on cold hard warm sand.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How did you get that much of your fort on screen at once? Or did you take multiple screenshots and paste them together?

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    How did you get that much of your fort on screen at once? Or did you take multiple screenshots and paste them together?
    Esc -> Export Images
    Then run compress_bitmaps.dat

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is the first fortress I've made that survived its first winter, so it wasn't so much designed as grown.
    First floor
    gildtrade17region110521ym6.png

Second floor
    gildtrade16region110521iq6.png

Third floor
    gildtrade15region110521jl5.png

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh god, I decided to try using a dump to clear my fortress of rocks, and then I noticed that my dwarfs carrying barrels over to the dump... So I inspect the dump, and they've been dumping almost all of their food and drink in there!! I just figured the game was smart enough that when I say to dump a tile with obsidian and a food barrel on it that it will dump the obsidian. Arggghh

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You have to select the individual item to dump.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Copperkindness-
    Copperkindnessf2.jpg

Copperkindnessf1.jpg

Copperkindnessb1.jpg

Copperkindnessb2.jpg

Copperkindnessb3.jpg

Really need to patch up b2.

Flat map is surprisingly nice. Entire, single, layer of soil. If only it didn't take so much work to get up my obligatory gigantic menacing stone structure.

Already hunted the entire wildlife population to extinction, though...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If large-room caveins ever get re-established like in the 2D game, a lot of us are going to have real problems on our hands.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SON OF A BITCH! The last human caravan was 2 squares from arriving at the depot, but sorry time's up! We're going home and taking our 4 wagonloads of precious wooden logs with us. Bastards.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If large-room caveins ever get re-established like in the 2D game, a lot of us are going to have real problems on our hands.

I am still leaving a support for every 7x7 tiles I dig, It's hard coded into my brain by now.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have been designing in 8x8 units now.. i like the 4 pack of workshops with some nice 2 tile movement in between..

as for ramps.. the wiki says i need open space to the SIDE of the upper ramp portion. so you need to be on that upper floor first (via stairs) to dig out the side, them place the ramp.. its annoying.

My new fortress *should* have been awesome... until I just accidentally left with 150 points unallocated.. so I am taking whatever the default loadout gave, plus 2 extra picks, 1 less axe, and no plump helmets.

my dwarves are properly skilled out though. I want to see how far I can get.. I *need* that caravan!

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another quick question: how do I get all the oxen and puppies out of my meeting area? I made an animal stockpile and a couple of cages, but I can't seem to do anything with the 'q' key on the cages.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, that was the problem. Had to 'b'uild it. I think I tried that once and it said I didn't have a cage (when one was sitting right there) so I assumed it was already "built."

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So due to the "No Cleaning Above Ground Bug", there's a vomit trail from one staircase of my fortress to the other.

It's actually kinda neat.

Also, Bugs fucking suck:
    http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001670

TL;DR: There's a Fire Imp that won't move right under my magma smelters, preventing anyone from getting any work done, and since he's UNDER the magma no one can kill him.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Paintedfrenzies: My small 30 dwarf fort.
    paintedfrenzies1.png

paintedfrenzies2.png

paintedfrenzies3.png

paintedfrenzies4.png

My first fort with the new version was doing too well for its own good, I hit 100 dwarves pretty fast and it started lagging a lot, so I limited the population cap to 30 for this one.

Now that the issues are fixed I'm going to start a new one.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Copperkindness-
    Really need to patch up b2.

Flat map is surprisingly nice. Entire, single, layer of soil. If only it didn't take so much work to get up my obligatory gigantic menacing stone structure.

Already hunted the entire wildlife population to extinction, though...
    What's the deal with that little bit of lava on your map?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9079/ckir7.jpg

Just a channel from a vent. Unless you're referring to something else?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Arg, so I lost my previous fort due to some unfortunate circumstances and since I had already done 4-5 forts in that world I decided to create a new one. That turned out to be a horrible idea.

The entire world was sitting on top of an aquifer layer, sometimes on top of 2 aquifer layers.

[edit] Made a 2nd new world, again the entire thing was aquifer. Decided to make a 3rd world, this time using the RNG. Its perfect, the first spot it showed me had heavily forested area next to a river, magma vent, and lined with mountains.

Last Son on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Paintedfrenzies sounds like something from Lord of the Flies.

Hey, turns out goblins will just leave after a long time if they're doing nothing (took a long time). I just watched them walk off the edge of the map.

Also behold Ropeplaited:
    Ground Level
    ropeplaited0ry4.png

1 Above Ground Level
    ropeplaited1ia8.png

2 Above Ground Level
    ropeplaited2gn1.png

3 Above Ground Level
    ropeplaited3ao1.png

4 Above Ground Level
    ropeplaited4wh0.png

It's messy because I suck. And I need to sort out where everything goes/get enough barrels and bins for smaller, easier to manage, stockpiles.

The reason the floors are bloody as you go up is, in addition to the odd baby snatcher, that I move my barracks up one level whenever a new floor is completed (usually). And I think some dwarves just randomly bleed, because the lower levels have a lot too.

No shots of below the surface because those are boring, just strip mining all the ice and stone I need. Oh and the downward stairway on the left (outside the fortress) leads to a trapped hallway I made to take care of the Titan/Bronze Colossus/Hydra. Apparently dwarves can't shoot down/up so my walls/battlements going up more than one level aren't really necessary but I'm still working on it it because it's cool.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is annoying. I built my fort in a big mountain and I started 20 levels above the ground where the trees are. So I built my stuff down there, but merchant caravans still come from the top of the mountain. They usually go insane before they leave the map. I'm going to try smoothing the floor but I guess I'll have to build roads off the maps too.

vhzod on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone know how to release a creature from a cage without linking it up to a lever?

And can I sell these goblin theives that I capture to merchants?

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I notice that in the fortress posted recently, most of the dwarves' rooms are very small (3x3). Is this just to save space, or is there a limit to how happy a dwarf can be from a large room?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The reasons to make rooms small is so they don't cost too much when you turn on the economy (which I have yet to do in the new version)

vhzod on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Janin wrote: »
    I notice that in the fortress posted recently, most of the dwarves' rooms are very small (3x3). Is this just to save space, or is there a limit to how happy a dwarf can be from a large room?
    Large rooms are expensive.

Copperreined:
    Main floor:
    main-foor_lg.jpg

Storage (1 level up)
    storage-floor_lg.jpg

Ngah! It hurts my head just looking at that. I could never use sprites.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Copperreined:
    Main floor:
    main-foor_lg.jpg

Storage (1 level up)
    storage-floor_lg.jpg

I want that tileset.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I think 3x3 rooms with smoothed stone make them happy enough, In big forts i also have 3x1 rooms.

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Copperreined:
    Main floor:
    main-foor_lg.jpg

Storage (1 level up)
    storage-floor_lg.jpg

I want that tileset.

So do I. Would be nice if a similar re-pack of the game were released, as with last version. The one with all the tilesets and such already configured. I tend to screw up the game when I play around with them.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gah, how do you make a brewer make alcohol? I have a functional Still and Plump Helmts, but when I set the order the brewer cancels it saying "Needs distillable item". I'm fairly certain I have barrels available, since my carpenter has been cranking them out nonstop for a season or so.

I've tried marking plump helmets brewable in the kitchen screen, but it doesn't say whether red or blue allows the item to be used. I've tried both though and got the same message both times.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    vhzod wrote: »
    The reasons to make rooms small is so they don't cost too much when you turn on the economy (which I have yet to do in the new version)

What do you mean by "the economy"? Is there some sort of upkeep cost associated with larger rooms?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

What do you mean by "the economy"? Is there some sort of upkeep cost associated with larger rooms?
    I'm a bit uncertain on the whole thing myself, but it goes something like this:
    At some point you "turn on the economy" (no idea what triggers this)
    This means that your dwarves will start making money for the jobs they do, I think based on legendary, competent, etc.
    Rooms cost money to rent based on how nice the rooms are, so 3x3 engraved rooms with masterpiece furniture will cost more than the average dwarf can afford.

This is all what I've gathered reading others accounts, I don't have any personal experience with it (considering I did, in fact, give all of my dwarves 3x3 engraved rooms with masterpieces scattered randomly throughout.)
    If I got anything wrong, please correct me.

Edit: beaten, but now that you start off with a bookkeeper, I'm not sure what triggers dwarves having to pay rent

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When you get a bookeeper, all things are assigned value. Including rooms. The value of a room is the sum of the value of its size, decorations (smooth/engraved), contents (bed/furniture), and door.

So big rooms with fancy things makes dwarves happy, but most of them won't be able to afford all that shit once the bookie arrives.

Isn't the bookkeeper one of the nobles you start with (i.e., typically the outpost trader/bookkeeper/expedition leader/outpost manager)? I haven't gotten an economy yet, but I figured that I'd have to start making coins at the metalsmith to get that started.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    slightlyinebriatedslightlyinebriated Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i'm a dorf fortress noob, but ive got a serious issue. 1 or 2 of my dorfs are exceptionally dumb. They seem to die of thirst while the rest of my dorfs are completely fine. Now I have plenty of dorf booze laying around and this only happens to 1 or 2 of my little hairy midgits. Why are they dieing of thirst? Are they protesting the working conditions?

slightlyinebriated on
  • Options
    TheOne(AndOnly)TheOne(AndOnly) Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rent started with the treasurer last time, so it could be him.

TheOne(AndOnly) on
    BNet USEast: Lampley | PKBlack FC:1850-1035-3335 | LoL PATheOneAndOnly
    PSN: Lqmpley | Steam: TheOne(AndOnly)
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They're probably busy doing tasks that make them less likely to be around to find something to drink.

Try Viewing one of them, go to the Labor option and turn off most of their hauling tasks. I like to only keep on healthcare, burial, one related to their job (wood hauling for wood cutters, food hauling for cooks, etc), and maybe one other random task just so stuff like cleaning and architecture get done.

As for the economy, the one time I had it running in the old version was by minting coins. No idea if that's how it still starts.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    slightlyinebriatedslightlyinebriated Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i'm a dorf fortress noob, but ive got a serious issue. 1 or 2 of my dorfs are exceptionally dumb. They seem to die of thirst while the rest of my dorfs are completely fine. Now I have plenty of dorf booze laying around and this only happens to 1 or 2 of my little hairy midgits. Why are they dieing of thirst? Are they protesting the working conditions?
    That's OK. It's called Darwinism. Over time, you'll breed dwarves that are resistant to thirst.
    Are you sure booze and clean water are present in functional quantities?

well there is always 1 or 2 dorfs that dont drink anything (maybe they re AA members). But yeah lots of booze laying around. Hmm. I ll give the turning all the other tasks off and see what happens next time.

slightlyinebriated on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wow, my 2nd wave of immigrants(before the first year passed) included a metalworker. Whom upon reaching my fort immediately got possessed. Only problem was I hadn't set up any way for me to make metal bars yet.

I had to rush to set up a furnace and smelter then conscript one of my workers to man them and craft some metal bars before the possessed dwarf went psycho. I get it all set up and ready, the dwarf grabs the metal from the stockpile and what does he make? A silver bracelet, studded with silver. Bah

Last Son on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    Wow, my 2nd wave of immigrants(before the first year passed) included a metalworker. Whom upon reaching my fort immediately got possessed. Only problem was I hadn't set up any way for me to make metal bars yet.

I had to rush to set up a furnace and smelter then conscript one of my workers to man them and craft some metal bars before the possessed dwarf went psycho. I get it all set up and ready, the dwarf grabs the metal from the stockpile and what does he make? A silver bracelet, studded with silver. Bah

Possessions are the worst, as you don't even get a decent skill bonus to show for it. Of the two dwarfs who went into useful moods, both ended up as wood carvers, which is damn annoying when the elves come to trade. I've got another possessed dwarf at the moment in the mechanic's workshop - whoop de doo, a mechanism of fine quality :roll:

Edit: Yep, 267 pounds (or whatever the weight unit is) of flint mechanism:
    Mechanism.jpg

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have had great success bringing 2 profic. miners, and a profic. stone carver ... and then other things.

I also bring 2 extra picks. When i get to the site, my dedicated trader and stone carver start mining... when I have enough carved out to have mason & craftsdwarf shops on my 'industrial' level... i remove mining from the carver, and set him to work making rock crafts / mugs / toys ,etc.. he makes very high quality, and by the time the dwarves come in autumn.. i can buy out the caravan.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.