Options

Ron Paul, The Conspiracy '08

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A blimp? A blimp!

Imagine.. the mainstream media is mesmerized as the image of the Ron Paul blimp is shown to tens of millions of Americans throughout the day (and throughout the month). Wolf Blizter, stunned and as if in a trance, repeats the words "Amazing, Amazing".

As GPS co-ordinates stream to the website a map shows the Ron Paul blimp's location in real time. The local Television stations broadcast its every move. The curious flock together and make a trip to see history in the making. Emails with pictures are sent, then forwarded, then forwarded again. Youtube videos go viral and reach tens of millions of views. Ron Paul becomes the first presidential candidate in history to have his very own blimp. The PR stunt generates millions upon millions of dollars worth in free publicity, and captures the imagination of America.

Please join us in our goal to raise $350,000 to make and fly the first ever Presidential Blimp in history. Choose a pledge amount below and enter your email address to confirm the pledge. When we reach our goal in pledges you'll receive an email letting you know it's time to fulfill the pledge.

WOW.

Smasher on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "A blimp? A blimp!"

This cannot possibly be real.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not crazy like the blimp, but I did notice a big "Ron Paul for President 2008" billboard as I drove down I-75 through central Florida last week. I haven't seen a "vote for X" billboard for any other primary nominee besides him, and I feel pretty certain that his campaign didn't pay for that billboard.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    "A blimp? A blimp!"

Oh, but it is. Mainly because many of the Rondroids are of the "digerati", and so see his campaign through that lens. They seem constitutionally incapable of understanding that just because he creates buzz doesn't mean he's gaining ground - in fact this amount of exposure may prove to be his political downfall, as all the skeletons in his closet are finally getting some time in the sun.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "A blimp? A blimp!"

Oh, but it is. Mainly because many of the Rondroids are of the "digerati", and so see his campaign through that lens. They seem constitutionally incapable of understanding that just because he creates buzz doesn't mean he's gaining ground - in fact this amount of exposure may prove to be his political downfall, as all the skeletons in his closet are finally getting some time in the sun.

Howard Dean + Snakes on a Plane == Ron Paul

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    A blimp? A blimp!

Imagine.. the mainstream media is mesmerized as the image of the Ron Paul blimp is shown to tens of millions of Americans throughout the day (and throughout the month). Wolf Blizter, stunned and as if in a trance, repeats the words "Amazing, Amazing".

As GPS co-ordinates stream to the website a map shows the Ron Paul blimp's location in real time. The local Television stations broadcast its every move. The curious flock together and make a trip to see history in the making. Emails with pictures are sent, then forwarded, then forwarded again. Youtube videos go viral and reach tens of millions of views. Ron Paul becomes the first presidential candidate in history to have his very own blimp. The PR stunt generates millions upon millions of dollars worth in free publicity, and captures the imagination of America.

Please join us in our goal to raise $350,000 to make and fly the first ever Presidential Blimp in history. Choose a pledge amount below and enter your email address to confirm the pledge. When we reach our goal in pledges you'll receive an email letting you know it's time to fulfill the pledge.

WOW.

You know, it actually reads somewhat like a summary of Left Behind. I mean, just in that it confidently describes the future in painstaking detail but with no understanding of How Things Work.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    A blimp? A blimp!

WOW.

You know, it actually reads somewhat like a summary of Left Behind. I mean, just in that it confidently describes the future in painstaking detail but with no understanding of How Things Work.

Well, the digerati tend to not really have a clue in that department.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I want to make sarcastic quips about it, but they're all so obvious it blows my mind they don't get it.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I want to make sarcastic quips about it, but they're all so obvious it blows my mind they don't get it.

Yeah. On the bright side, it's a lot like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Geez. It's like a joke that only the Rondroids aren't in on.

I almost want to form a rival fundraising campain for a Ron Paul zeppelin. First trip: Frankfurt to Lakehurst.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Yeah. On the bright side, it's a lot like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Surely for that you'd need a second blimp coming in the opposite direction. Possibly with the word CLUE! or maybe REALITY! emblazoned across the side.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's kind of a shame Paul himself isn't involved in this, or else we could bump the sig up to 20k.

Smasher on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    RuPaul is a libertarian Republican congressman from the Republic of Texas and President of the Internetz. His legions include the batshit insane and they intend on trolling the Republican Party until they win or get the banhammer.

Oh ED, how you make me lol.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    http://www.federalwaynews.net/articles/2007/11/26/interact/columnists/column01.txt
    Daniel Jantzen - Student - "I feel strongly about this...my friends and I, we think Ron Paul is the best choice. It's about the constitution, and standing up for what you believe in and Dr. Paul's voting record, it's consistent." Issue that concerns you the most? "My best friends brother is in Iraq and he said that most of his platoon thinks they shouldn't be there."

Couscous on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    http://www.federalwaynews.net/articles/2007/11/26/interact/columnists/column01.txt
    Daniel Jantzen - Student - "I feel strongly about this...my friends and I, we think Ron Paul is the best choice. It's about the constitution, and standing up for what you believe in and Dr. Paul's voting record, it's consistent." Issue that concerns you the most? "My best friends brother is in Iraq and he said that most of his platoon thinks they shouldn't be there."

This isn't how they all base their opinions, right? Right?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not surprising he'd pick something popular in the 1920s to get raise awareness of his existence. After all, most of his policies date back to that era....

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's not surprising he'd pick something popular in the 1920s to get raise awareness of his existence. After all, most of his policies date back to that era....

Too bad the blimps of today won't go down in a massive fireball, unlike Paul's candidacy.

We also need a nickname for his "supporters".

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RuPaul is a libertarian Republican congressman from the Republic of Texas and President of the Internetz. His legions include the batshit insane and they intend on trolling the Republican Party until they win or get the banhammer.

Oh ED, how you make me lol.

That's probably the funniest thing I've read all day. Good show. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "A blimp? A blimp!"

It's the monorail episode of The Simpsons, but in real life.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »
    "A blimp? A blimp!"

It's the monorail episode of The Simpsons, but in real life.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I hope they do raise enough money for it. Then they'll get to do their blimp tour, and watch amazed as nobody cares!
    Ten bucks says they blame it on a mainstream media conspiracy.

Smasher on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dude, this article rocks.
    The following graph provides a breakdown of the $2.6 trillion in revenues collected by the federal government in financial year 2007. (I got the figures from the Final Monthly Treasury Statement for September 2007.) It shows that income tax accounted for roughly 45 percent of the total, not 33 percent, as Paul claims on his website. The next largest chunk--34 percent--comes from social security taxes. Customs and excise duties--which formed the bulk of federal revenues in the pre-1913 period which Paul praises so highly--account for less than four per cent of total revenue.

federalrevenues_20071115.gif

The next graph shows outlays. If Paul is going to get rid of the federal income tax, he will have to find $1.2 trillion in savings on today's budget. He says he will not take this money from social security. Instead he will focus on the "costs of empire." But even if he pulled all U.S. troops back home from Iraq and Afghanistan ($152 billion), abolished the entire foreign aid budget, ($22 billion), got rid of the State Department, ($6 billion), and withdrew from the United Nations, ($2 billion), he would only save around $180 billion. If he stopped all federal spending on education and ended agricultural price subsidies, as he has also proposed, he might save another $100 billion.

That's still a long way from $1.2 trillion.

federalspending_20071115.gif

So how will Paul perform the miracle? Drum roll, please, for Paul campaign spokesman Jesse Benton. Here is his full, unedited, response to my request for data to support the candidate's claims about abolishing the income tax:
    "Over half of federal government revenue presently comes from sources other than the personal income tax. Policy wonks can go back and forth arguing over budget specifics. The point Dr. Paul was making, during an interview on an entertainment program, is that we can eliminate the income tax and fund a level of government from the recent past. Whether that year is 1995, 1997 or 2000 is irrelevant. These levels are of course statically scored. Real world dynamic scoring would drive revenues substantially higher. A Paul administration would not be able to end the IRS on January 29th, 2009. President Paul would work with Congress to phase out the income tax and cut budgets to sensible, constitutional levels, focusing foremost on eliminating hundreds of billions of dollars of excessive overseas expenditures."

So that's it, folks. It will all be done through "real world dynamic scoring." Don't worry about the details. Just keep the faith and repeat the mantra.

Best comment: "This blog post reminds me of a friend who criticized "Star Wars" because laser guns wouldn't work the way they are depicted to work in the movies."

Ron Paul: "It's only a movie!"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cut budgets to sensible, constitutional levels

What does that even mean?! How the fuck is the DOE unconstitutional?

moniker on
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If Ron Paul wins the presidency and legalizes marijuana I wonder if I'll be able to use a big green bud as an avatar? Serious question.

tracertong on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    cut budgets to sensible, constitutional levels

What does that even mean?! How the fuck is the DOE unconstitutional?

You mean the Department of Energy? He might be one of those insane guys that died out after the Civil War who believe that the national government doesn't have the right to control the states unless the exact power is specified in the Constitution. I guess the states can clean up nuclear spills if it isn't a national issue.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, with Paul, them too I'm sure, but I was meaning more Dept. of Education since he's professing to scrap that.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, with Paul, them too I'm sure, but I was meaning more Dept. of Education since he's professing to scrap that.

Same thing applies. He might not consider it a national issue.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Department_of_Education
    President Ronald Reagan promised during the 1980 presidential election to eliminate the Department of Education as a cabinet post,[1] but he was not able to do so with a Democratic House of Representatives. In the 1982 State of the Union Address, he pledged, "The budget plan I submit to you on Feb. 8 will realize major savings by dismantling the Department of Education."[2] Throughout the 1980s, the abolition of the Department of Education was a part of the Republican Party platform, but the administration of President George H.W. Bush declined to implement this idea.

In 1996, the Republican Party made abolition of the Department a cornerstone of their campaign promises, calling it an inappropriate federal intrusion into local, state, and family affairs.[2] The GOP platform read: "The Federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in school curricula or to control jobs in the market place. This is why we will abolish the Department of Education, end federal meddling in our schools, and promote family choice at all levels of learning."[2][3] During his 1996 presidential run, Senator Bob Dole promised, "We're going to cut out the Department of Education."[3] A 1997 survey conducted by Congressman Ron Paul found that 54% of his constituency wished to abolish the federal Department of Education.[4]

In 2000, the Republican Liberty Caucus passed a resolution to abolish the Department of Education.[5]
    ...WTF?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I understand that. What I don't understand is how funding such an agency can be considered unconstitutional.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I understand that. What I don't understand is how funding such an agency can be considered unconstitutional.

I assume funding an unconstitutional agency is unconstitutional. The question is why he thinks he would be able to destroy a department that is almost certainly here to stay.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I assume funding an unconstitutional agency is unconstitutional.

Seeing how we aren't talking about an unconstitutional agency we circle right back to interrobang.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I assume funding an unconstitutional agency is unconstitutional.

Seeing how we aren't talking about an unconstitutional agency we circle right back to interrobang.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/17666.html
    I was challenged by an extreme lefty (I am beginning to believe that all lefties are extreme) to prove that the federal Department of Education was unconstitutional as I had asserted.

QED (quod erat demonstratum--to be demonstrated): That the Department of Education is unconstitutional.
    (constitution, bla bla bla)

Then one can peruse the Federalist Papers and other writings of the Founders, in particular James Madison, the so-called Father of the Constitution, and find that he wrote that any other statements in the Constitution, particularly that mentioning "general welfare," were limited by the original enumeration of powers and did not extend to other such powers not expressly mentioned. That is, if the power to do something is not given to congress by the Constitution, congress can't do it!

Thus, quod erat demonstratum, the Department of Education is unconstitutional. The power to establish such was not given to the federal government. Since it was not, the power to establish or regulate education were reserved to the States or to the people. That is, the states could, if their citizens and their constitutions allow, regulate education, or the people could establish private schools. BUT THE FEDS HAVE NO CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY TO DO SO!

QED.

NEXT!
    I assume removing those dastardly unconstitutional roads would also save a lot of money.

Edit:
    http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Education.htm
    Paul adopted the Republican Liberty Caucus Position Statement:

* As adopted by the General Membership of the Republican Liberty Caucus at its Biannual Meeting held December 8, 2000. WHEREAS libertarian Republicans believe in limited government, individual freedom and personal responsibility;
    * WHEREAS we believe that government has no money nor power not derived from the consent of the people;
    * WHEREAS we believe that people have the right to keep the fruits of their labor; and
    * WHEREAS we believe in upholding the US Constitution as the supreme law of the land;

1. BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Liberty Caucus endorses the following [among its] principles:The US Department of Education should be abolished, leaving education decision making at the state, local or personal level.
    2. Parents have the right to spend their money on the school or method of schooling they deem appropriate for their children.
    Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Liberty_Caucus
    In 2004, the Republican Liberty Caucus endorsed the Free State Project, saying: "The Republican Liberty Caucus endorses and supports the objective of the Free State Project (FSP), to gather together liberty-lovers in a single political subdivision of the United States, specifically New Hampshire, in order to 'exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property'."
    This is the free state movement:
    The Free State Project (FSP) is a plan to have 20,000 or more libertarians move to a single state of the United States, with the intent of influencing local politics and policy. In 2003, the group chose New Hampshire, known for its "Live Free or Die" motto and absence of a state income tax and state sales tax, as its target.
    Weren't these nutters on the Daily Show?
    Edit3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI9ZjjEtH4g
    He said he supports it...

Couscous on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    2. Parents have the right to spend their money on the school or method of schooling they deem appropriate for their children.

What annoys me the most about this is that one of the primary purposes (and benefits) of the public education system is to limit the role that parents have in deciding the method of schooling that their children receive, by imposing a minimum standard that must be met.

For the good of their children and of society, parents must never have that right unconditionally.

jothki on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is the free state movement:
    The Free State Project (FSP) is a plan to have 20,000 or more libertarians move to a single state of the United States, with the intent of influencing local politics and policy. In 2003, the group chose New Hampshire, known for its "Live Free or Die" motto and absence of a state income tax and state sales tax, as its target.
    Weren't these nutters on the Daily Show?
    Apparently only like 50 of them or something actually did it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Getting a large group of libertarians to do the same thing is like trying to herd a roomful of cats. And that is why Ron Paul will never be president.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know, these days when I hear someone say "but that's unconstitutional", I read it as "see, I really don't like this policy, but if I oppose it, I'll look like the prick I am, so I'll push the blame on the Constitution."

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know, these days when I hear someone say "but that's unconstitutional", I read it as "see, I really don't like this policy, but if I oppose it, I'll look like the prick I am, so I'll push the blame on the Constitution."

It kind of works both ways. For example, I don't really believe that the right to abortion is guaranteed by the Constitution, but since legislators can't be trusted to protect it I'm willing to pretend that it is.

jothki on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jothki wrote: »

It kind of works both ways. For example, I don't really believe that the right to abortion is guaranteed by the Constitution, but since legislators can't be trusted to protect it I'm willing to pretend that it is.
    I believe the American Constitution is the worst document ever written since it had repeatedly encouraged generations to dis-engage their brains when it comes to considerations of society and law-making.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    jothki wrote: »

What annoys me the most about this is that one of the primary purposes (and benefits) of the public education system is to limit the role that parents have in deciding the method of schooling that their children receive, by imposing a minimum standard that must be met.

For the good of their children and of society, parents must never have that right unconditionally.

The state taking a primary role in education and making same compulsory was actually hugely controversial back in the early twentieth century here

when the literacy rate was like 20%

'mah kids don need no fancified book-larnin', they can work on the farm like their paw'

yeah, I see any jurisdiction making education non-compulsory doing real well. Expansion of class divides what what?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.