As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Portal] Prelude Mod now available!

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Has this link been posted yet?

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/17/half-life-2-portal/

Play Half Life 2 with portal gun.

LewieP on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Five posts ago.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    that log sounded very douglas adams-esque.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    Oh man, I love how serious the debate on the story line is going, despite the whole Shower Curtain/Take a Wish Foundation thing :D
    Cave Johnson was a visionary.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cool Portal facts, in the Portal-Orange of TRUTH:
    CHELL IS NOT AN ANDROID NOR A CLONE.
    THERE ARE NO ANDROIDS OR CLONES IN THE HALF-LIFE UNIVERSE.
    THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATIONS THAT SHE'S EITHER.
    SHE IS MOST LIKELY SOMEONE'S DAUGHTER.
    THERE WERE OTHER PEOPLE RUNNING THROUGH THE TESTS BEFORE.

Sheesh, people, stop being retarded and over-analyzing shit.

Did you listen to the commentary?
    "THE RAT DEN WAS INCLUDED TO SHOW THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE YOU" or something like that. The "other people" part is pretty clear, anyway.

And just think, if chell was kidnapped and put to sleep on "bring your daughter" day, then Gladis probably met her WHEN SHE PUT CHELL TO SLEEP. So, the whole first line crap makes sense within this, the most logic and simple theory.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2007
    Just 'cause you typed that all up in orange doesn't mean it's true!

Malkor on
    edited October 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Just 'cause you typed that all up in orange doesn't mean it's true!

Well duh, of course it does. But that only works for me.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zero Puncuation reviews the Orange Box, with ridiculously good review of Portal.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    re:stupid argument
    I'm willing to accept clones(with possible brain backup) as a remote possibility. But inferring android from the use of the word 2 times in the entire game which are obvious added for humor is freaking retarded.

LockeCole on
    edited October 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    I'm willing to accept clones(with possible brain backup) as a remote possibility. But inferring android from the use of the word 2 times in the entire game which are obvious added for humor is freaking retarded.
    Well, Chell is probably an orphan though. That only came up once or twice.

Malkor on
    edited October 2007
    We shouldn't believe on mostly anything Gladis says, except the song. The song is probably all true.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RydiakRydiak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We shouldn't believe on mostly anything Gladis says, except the song. The song is probably all true.
    GLaDOS

Rydiak on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zero Puncuation reviews the Orange Box, with ridiculously good review of Portal.

That review was great.

LockeCole on
    edited October 2007
    Rydiak wrote: »
    GLaDOS
    Typing "GLaDOS" is a pain in the ass, and her name was made to sound like Gladis anyway, so...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also remember that the whole purpose of all the pistons is to make the rooms dynamic, meaning that in theory GLaDOS can change the room designs on the fly...

I'm willing to entertain the idea of a clone, but another tricky question is how does the Portal gun end up on that pedestal?

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GLaDOS creates/revives another test subject, has them place the gun on the stand, then kills them. Maybe they mow the lawn around the Labs too.

MichaelLC on
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So...
    Was the whole idea of finding those hiding spots where cans and destroyed cameras to imply that you were a clone/android who has repeatedly died through this testing and you're essentially leaving yourself clues to escape the testing facility? That's what I got out of it, anyway. The implication of finishing that game is that you left yourself enough clues to get out successfully, but that there were many, many failures.
    The thing is, all these clues only imply there were other test subjects before you (242, to be exact), never that they were clones. As for the android comment, remember that's during a segment that GLaDOS actually specifies as being recycled from an android test and never comes up elsewhere, implying that's simply GLaDOS having buggy delusions or a bit of fun at your expense. Even the brain scan comment, if taken more seriously than just one of her creatively deranged threats (she is after all mostly out of brains at that point) doesn't imply cloning, only that she has enough brain scans of you to somewhat simulate your mental process.

chevluh on
    edited October 2007
    Durr, if you die the room tilts and anything loose goes to a trash/bodyparts go to a filter to be reused and sorted. A system of pulleys and the like move the gun to stand.

Malkor on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In the beginning ... you were in a sealed sleep chamber, and GLaDOS apologizes for how long you were kept in the cage.

The portal guns: there are many many guns, all used for testing. Testing you, apparently, because of the 'negative reenforcement'. Maybe you coupled with a portal gun is the main focus.

Spoilers as not to ruin things:
    The notches on the 'hidden' walls. How many people have come through? It seems like a single guy is doing all the writing... simply because everything is consistant, as opposed to what it would look like if 50+ people were writing on the walls. Could they ALL be obsessed with Companion Cube ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
    edited October 2007
    Maybe if the memories are being rolled over from one subject to another, some of the stronger ones like the companion cube become easier to recall.

Malkor on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As for the memories thing...
    During the final fight with GLaDOS, she states that she scanned your brain, and that you won't really be dead since she has a copy of your thoughts/memories and uses that as something to threaten you with. I don't think she was really implying anything, she was just trying to convince you to stop fighting or even the last trace of your memories would be gone. It just really struck me as more of a bluff than anything else.

Aoi on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think you all keep forgetting that GLaDOS spends the greater portion of the game enhancing the truth.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh motherfuck, this thread was just getting good and now everyone is starting fresh with the merry-go-round of extremely stupid portal speculation that devolves into thousands upon thousands of wasted words and non-agreement.

So, android or human?

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Regardless of the nature of our protagonist I am more interested in
    why GLaDOS would do all this?
    Is she just lonely and bored?
    Is she trying to break out of the complex now herself and needs us to blow shit up? Is that where those clues come from? If those clues are from others in out position, what is the actual purpose of the testing?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Talith wrote: »
    I think you all keep forgetting that GLaDOS spends the greater portion of the game enhancing the truth.

but there was cake at the end...

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ha! That is easily the best Zero Punctuation review ever.
    Yea I know its not very funny to love a game but FUCK YOU! Portal's great and if you don't think so you must be stupid!

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've had this song in my head all day since Saturday.

I haven't listened to anything else but the Portal song since I downloaded it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heres the cake recipe again, cause it's amazing:
    One 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix.
    One can prepared coconut pecan frosting.
    3/4 cup vegetable oil.
    Four large eggs.
    One cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
    3/4 cups butter or margarine.
    1 2/3 cups granulated sugar.
    Two cups all purpose flour.

Don't forget garnishes such as:
    Fish shaped crackers.
    Fish shaped candies.
    Fish shaped solid waste.
    Fish shaped dirt.
    Fish shaped ethyl benzene.
    Pull and peel licorice.
    Fish shaped organic compounds and sediment shaped sediment.
    Candy coated peanut butter pieces. Shaped like fish.

One cup lemon juice.
    Alpha resins.
    Unsaturated polyester resin.
    Fiberglass surface resins.
    And volatile malted milk impoundments.

Nine large egg yolks.
    Twelve medium geosynthetic membranes.
    One cup granulated sugar.

An entry called 'how to kill someone with your bare hands.'

Two cups rhubarb, sliced.
    2/3 cups granulated rhubarb.
    One tablespoon all-purpose rhubarb.
    One teaspoon grated orange rhubarb.
    Three tablespoons rhubarb, on fire.
    One cross bore hole electro-magnetic imaging rhubarb.
    Two tablespoons rhubarb juice.

Adjustable aluminum head positioner.
    Slaughter electric injector.
    Cordless electric needle injector.
    Injector needle driver.
    Injector needle gun.
    Cranial caps.

And it contains proven preservatives, deep penetration agents, and gas and odor control chemicals.
    That will deodorize and preserve putrid tissue.

Icemopper on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's amazing a 2hr game can spark this much discussion. I LOVED Portal.

DrunkMc on
  • dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LightRider wrote: »
    Speaking of non-speculation discussion, I wanted to talk about something that could really add another dimension to the game.

Dynamic Gravity!

Prey also had this idea and used it to interesting effect, but imagine it combined with portals.

There could be chambers where the gravity shifts from floor to ceiling to wall, or shifting gradually so you have to time flinging just right.

I know the source engine has this kind of capability, so I hope to see some mods with this kind of dynamic some day.

Portal Gun confirmed for Mario Galaxy!

dopplex on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Is it possible that
    the previous test subjects, or at least the ones which left clues to escape, weren't clones of Chell but instead other daughters brought in during Bring your Daughter to Work Day?

This is what I think.

One Thousand Cables on
  • YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Is she trying to break out of the complex now herself and needs us to blow shit up? Is that where those clues come from? If those clues are from others in out position, what is the actual purpose of the testing?

"I have no mouth and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison.

That, and/or to complete the experiment, get out of beta, and release on time.
    Because the Combine have landed and the world has gone nutso outside, which is why she comments on how much better it is in here than outside where it's all chaos and confusion due to the 7 hour war. Either Chell or the Portal gun is the experiment and the goal probably has to do with the Combine. Just because she's sick and twisted to you doesn't mean that her goal parameters aren't going to be useful against the Combine, could just be a pragmatic lack of morality in pursuit of a greater good.

Similarity to Combine tech?

...Who says it's /combine/ tech? Gordon shows up way after the combine have asserted and even integrated enough to produce an army of modified humans wielding technology designed around human use built by humans(or reapers). Black Mesa was already producing advanced tech before the Combine show, and Aperture was the direct competitor. Fancy sci-fi stuff isn't only possessed by the enemy in HL2's setting, humans are also producing it, just not as widespread yet. Grav gun for another example, positron cannon, yadda yadda. Humans have superior teleportation technology to the Combine actually, as noted in HL2. Combine's teleportation has limitation that the Human tech doesn't and that's why the scientists hopes the newly working teleporter can turn the tide of the war.

The similarity in turrets and energy balls used by the Combine in HL2 are more than likely due to Aperture Science's tech being appropriated for applications by Overwatch.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I suppose this is the nature of all Valve games. Much as I love their storytelling, everything they do has a way of presenting far more questions than answers.
    That said, anyone who thinks this has anything to do with androids or clones is fucking reaching.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Screw you guys, in my game she's an android. ;-)

ofelectricsheepfw3.jpg

Glal on
    edited October 2007
    I didn't get that, but reaching is the only thing to do on the internet.

Malkor on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, why does everyone think you're leaving messages for your (cloned) self?
    If your previous 'clones' could have survived long enough off the grid to make it as far as they did and leave messages, do you really think she would have been surprised if you did it again? And why would she remake you if you did? I personally think the tick marks on the walls are, like in a jail cell, days.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't think is the same person... i think you are the last of a long line of subjects.

I think the problem with GLaDOS is that she is somewhat like a child in understanding outcome. She leaves important details last, after giving minor ones.. She jokes that the floor is bad for you, as in it will kill you.

She simply kills you when done the 'experiment'.. and retrieves the portal gun for the next use... she doesn't seem to realize that gassing everyone != someone coming to get you later.

It is also pretty glaring in my multiple playthroughs that there is nobody observing you from the office windows... just GLaDOS

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yumcake wrote: »
    PatboyX wrote: »

"I have no mouth and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison.

That, and/or to complete the experiment, get out of beta, and release on time.
    Because the Combine have landed and the world has gone nutso outside, which is why she comments on how much better it is in here than outside where it's all chaos and confusion due to the 7 hour war. Either Chell or the Portal gun is the experiment and the goal probably has to do with the Combine. Just because she's sick and twisted to you doesn't mean that her goal parameters aren't going to be useful against the Combine, could just be a pragmatic lack of morality in pursuit of a greater good.

Similarity to Combine tech?

...Who says it's /combine/ tech? Gordon shows up way after the combine have asserted and even integrated enough to produce an army of modified humans wielding technology designed around human use built by humans(or reapers). Black Mesa was already producing advanced tech before the Combine show, and Aperture was the direct competitor. Fancy sci-fi stuff isn't only possessed by the enemy in HL2's setting, humans are also producing it, just not as widespread yet. Grav gun for another example, positron cannon, yadda yadda. Humans have superior teleportation technology to the Combine actually, as noted in HL2. Combine's teleportation has limitation that the Human tech doesn't and that's why the scientists hopes the newly working teleporter can turn the tide of the war.

The similarity in turrets and energy balls used by the Combine in HL2 are more than likely due to Aperture Science's tech being appropriated for applications by Overwatch.

I thought of that story as well.
    But why only one person, then? Wouldn't part of the fun be group dynamic?
    if she could bring back an actual companion for you to be forced to kill, it would be considerably more "destructive" to the main character in order to control her.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    Also, why does everyone think you're leaving messages for your (cloned) self?
    If your previous 'clones' could have survived long enough off the grid to make it as far as they did and leave messages, do you really think she would have been surprised if you did it again? And why would she remake you if you did? I personally think the tick marks on the walls are, like in a jail cell, days.

Actually, on the subject of the scribbles on the walls:
    (Oh, crap, Houn's posting another therory, RUN!!!)
    The more times I play through, the more I believe that, at least in the Escape sequence, it's all part of the test. The Rat Holes may very well have been previous test subjects/clones/whatever hiding out, but I just don't buy that the stuff post-Victory-candescence was left by other people. For starters, if you're not the first test subject to avoid the Pit O' Flame, why does GLaDOS seem surprised? Wouldn't she be prepared for something like that? Unless it was all an act, of course.

Second, remember the room with the Cube Tube, where you have to use that rocket turret to bust a few glass walls, and then the Tube? AKA, "That room? Oh, I just grabbed a chair." Well, there's writing on the wall in that room telling you to hop into the vent. But, if someone had made it there before... wouldn't the glass walls have already been broken?

Houn on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    My only complaint is that this game did not make me pull my hair out in difficulty.

Like, the difficulty slowly ramped up, and right when I was expecing "OMG this is about to get difficult" it was "over".

Otherwise, great game. Worth the price of purchase alone.
    The more times I play through, the more I believe that, at least in the Escape sequence, it's all part of the test. The Rat Holes may very well have been previous test subjects/clones/whatever hiding out, but I just don't buy that the stuff post-Victory-candescence was left by other people. For starters, if you're not the first test subject to avoid the Pit O' Flame, why does GLaDOS seem surprised? Wouldn't she be prepared for something like that? Unless it was all an act, of course.
    This is the conclusion I came to as well. There was some stuff in game, as well as the end song that kinda lead me to believe that the entire process was just a test for Chell. Since GlaDOS is "alive" at the end, and remarks that everything was a triumph, success, etc. Even further, since you destroyed alot of the personality (and if I remember correctly, one of them growls and snarls), I tend to think that the theme song is rational.

Sheep on
This discussion has been closed.