As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Portal] Prelude Mod now available!

• YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Above posters beat me to it.

There's really no way of telling what parts of GlaDOS's behavior is truth, and what parts are enhanced truth.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just tossing my love in for this game. This is the kind of thing that's needed to really show you what ways you can take the genre in. Top notch work all around, and I'm glad to see everyone praising it around the net.

We can bet there will be more of GlaDOS and her test subject in further games. ;)

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Regarding others:
    All good points, stuff I had considered, but I still don't think the character is necessarily a clone. I dunno, as it's set in the Half-Life universe, and they haven't dealt with the issues of clones or androids, I think it'd be mostly out of place to stick them in here. Most of Half-Life's science deals with energy and teleportation, stuff that, while far-fetched, doesn't really delve into what makes humans human, which is something both cloning and androids are heavily focused on. So, thematically, I don't think a clone makes sense.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    drhazard wrote: »
    Also, why does everyone think you're leaving messages for your (cloned) self?
    If your previous 'clones' could have survived long enough off the grid to make it as far as they did and leave messages, do you really think she would have been surprised if you did it again? And why would she remake you if you did? I personally think the tick marks on the walls are, like in a jail cell, days.

Actually, on the subject of the scribbles on the walls:
    (Oh, crap, Houn's posting another therory, RUN!!!)
    The more times I play through, the more I believe that, at least in the Escape sequence, it's all part of the test. The Rat Holes may very well have been previous test subjects/clones/whatever hiding out, but I just don't buy that the stuff post-Victory-candescence was left by other people. For starters, if you're not the first test subject to avoid the Pit O' Flame, why does GLaDOS seem surprised? Wouldn't she be prepared for something like that? Unless it was all an act, of course.

Second, remember the room with the Cube Tube, where you have to use that rocket turret to bust a few glass walls, and then the Tube? AKA, "That room? Oh, I just grabbed a chair." Well, there's writing on the wall in that room telling you to hop into the vent. But, if someone had made it there before... wouldn't the glass walls have already been broken?

It's a game?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    The more times I play through, the more I believe that, at least in the Escape sequence, it's all part of the test. The Rat Holes may very well have been previous test subjects/clones/whatever hiding out, but I just don't buy that the stuff post-Victory-candescence was left by other people. For starters, if you're not the first test subject to avoid the Pit O' Flame, why does GLaDOS seem surprised? Wouldn't she be prepared for something like that? Unless it was all an act, of course.
    This is the conclusion I came to as well. There was some stuff in game, as well as the end song that kinda lead me to believe that the entire process was just a test for Chell. Since GlaDOS is "alive" at the end, and remarks that everything was a triumph, success, etc. Even further, since you destroyed alot of the personality (and if I remember correctly, one of them growls and snarls), I tend to think that the theme song is rational.
    You destroy 4/400 parts of her. I really really doubt that any of the last song is any more rational than her previous sugar-coated sarcastic hatred. Remember, the morality portion was added. She, like any good AI, is simply inherently a capricious and insane jerk.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • 3DKnight3DKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Arguments FOR the clone/modified human idea

First GLADoS greets you with the phrase

"Hello and, again, welcome to the...." the “again” sounds like a glitch.

when you combine this with the number on your chamber and the number on the clipboard matching, it seems you have already been here.. also the clipboard with your number on it has hand written notes on them, implying that you were observed before.

also someone found the unwrap of the Chell and she has a serial number on her forearm. (confirmed?)

Combined with the fact that GLADoS puts you though areas designed for battle androids, it tells you that the tech they have is pretty advanced, and she has some faith that you can handle it.

ALSO you have surgically added knee springs, as shown by another clipboard... meaning you are modified in some way.

To top it off GLADoS isn't concerned with you dying. You would think that a system looking to test out science wouldn't needlessly put its limited number of subjects into harms way without some way to get or make more. Yet you see people have been though your course before, but somehow failed at one point or another. Does GLADoS have hundred of test subjects, or is she identifying the strongest traits and editing her backups to make improved models.

About Apature:

It has been agreed that GLADoS ISN'T testing the portal GUN. She is testing the USER of the gun. Trying to find the perfect "Asset" to use the gun. The GUN does what it is supposed to do, it is only as effective as the person holding it.

Also many people probably survived the gassing by GLADoS. She only gassed the portal course. By typing thecakeisalie into the aperture science website you get a video feed of the starting area. The employee complains that they are using 20 year old computers, yet the company can afford millions to go to this chamber. This tells you that the whole of aperture science wasn't in the know of what was going on.

Why was the rest of the company using old tech, yet in the portal testing area, you seen very advanced, combine looking equipment. I think the rest of aperture was a front company to hide what was really going on. Is aperture really as incompetent as you think? Was take you daughter to work day a way for apature to get its unsuspecting employees to provide tons of brainscans for GLADoS to start making test subjects?

The testing could have been going on for decades. You seen tiny handprints on the walls… much smaller than a adults. Is Glados continually testing you, after identifying you as the best candidate out of all the daughters, and running you again and again though the course as you develop through life? That would be what the “Beta” was, and how they released on time… being the version of you in your peak development stage.

3DKnight on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The purple/black checkerboard is the default placeholder texture, meant to draw attention to missing textures or glitches so they can be fixed in development. I've seen it in HL2DM on glass.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Glal, those are rendering errors. That purple/black checkered pattern is what Source uses when a texture is missing.

Man, Portal was an absolute blast! Fresh, entertaining, puzzing, unexpected, and yet ... familiar and redeeming.

I used to design insane, physics defying levels in Shadow Warrior, years ago. I couldn't have portals that you could look into (not reliably, damn render-to-texture feature just didn't work half the time), or have floor portals lead to a wall (and vice-versa), and they certainly did not have professional polish. Nevertheless my best friend and I downright abused every last feature that game had to make a bunch of multiplayer stages with insane, mind-bending gameplay totally unintended by the engine's designers. We always wondered if such madness would actually "work" and be appreciated. Having played Portal, I feel redeemed; if we'd had the skills to polish the levels and concepts, they had a good chance of being well recieved.

We came up level design that:
    • Allowed us to turn four corners around a true square, on level ground, in the same direction, and not return where we started.
    • In a level designed to appear just like my friend's house, there is a perfectly normal living room, but on the other side of the free-standing wall that divides his kitchen from the above, we could walk into a tunnel in his fridge that couldn't exist unless it cut through the wall and straight through the middle his living room (of course it existed anyway).
    • Put an area equivalent in size to 1-2 large city blocks inside a 6'x10' backyard shed.
    • Create a stage with 360 degree wrap-around and nothing but rocket launchers >_>.
    • In a level designed after my house, allow you to drive my sofa, with machine guns that popped up out of the arm rests.
    • Hide the same missile silo in both of our house's external Air Conditioning units.
    • Allowed me to shoot a missile at him across a minefield, miss, leap down into a hole in the ground, fall out of the sky into a pond, swim down into the pond then forward, to emerge out of a freestanding block of water onto the minefield again, only to suddenly blow up because I unwittingly just set myself up to take my own rocket in the face.

Good times. Gosh we loved breaking that game to do insane things. Shadow Warrior wasn't the greatest package of content but its revised Build Engine was like pure gold. If only we could have somehow used the Duke Nukem 3D wall and floor art with it.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    3DKnight wrote: »

when you combine this with the number on your chamber and the number on the clipboard matching, it seems you have already been here.. also the clipboard with your number on it has hand written notes on them, implying that you were observed before.

also someone found the unwrap of the Chell and she has a serial number on her forearm. (confirmed?)

Combined with the fact that GLADoS puts you though areas designed for battle androids, it tells you that the tech they have is pretty advanced, and she has some faith that you can handle it.
    -
    ALSO you have surgically added knee springs, as shown by another clipboard... meaning you are modified in some way.

To top it off GLADoS isn't concerned with you dying. You would think that a system looking to test out science wouldn't needlessly put its limited number of subjects into harms way without some way to get or make more. Yet you see people have been though your course before, but somehow failed at one point or another. Does GLADoS have hundred of test subjects, or is she identifying the strongest traits and editing her backups to make improved models.

About Apature:

It has been agreed that GLADoS ISN'T testing the portal GUN. She is testing the USER of the gun. Trying to find the perfect "Asset" to use the gun. The GUN does what it is supposed to do, it is only as effective as the person holding it.

Also many people probably survived the gassing by GLADoS. She only gassed the portal course. By typing thecakeisalie into the aperture science website you get a video feed of the starting area. The employee complains that they are using 20 year old computers, yet the company can afford millions to go to this chamber. This tells you that the whole of aperture science wasn't in the know of what was going on.

Why was the rest of the company using old tech, yet in the portal testing area, you seen very advanced, combine looking equipment. I think the rest of aperture was a front company to hide what was really going on. Is aperture really as incompetent as you think? Was take you daughter to work day a way for apature to get its unsuspecting employees to provide tons of brainscans for GLADoS to start making test subjects?

The testing could have been going on for decades. You seen tiny handprints on the walls… much smaller than a adults. Is Glados continually testing you, after identifying you as the best candidate out of all the daughters, and running you again and again though the course as you develop through life? That would be what the “Beta” was, and how they released on time… being the version of you in your peak development stage.

Nothing you wrote points even remotely to cloning.

Now, things that DISPROVE the whole clone/android/whatever nonsense:

-There is absolutely no biotech equipment anywhere in the facility,
    -the combine also has no cloning tech (it uses "normal humans"),
    -Aperture Science was researching THREE things:
    a) Heimlich counter-maneuver, b) Take a Wish foundation and c) Portals.
    They spent TEN years just making the DOS part of GLaDOS. Why would they suddenly have perfected a ridiculously advanced cloning tech? Even GLaDOS wouldn't know much about that.
    -There is absolutely NOTHING in the game that even insinuates the concept of clones or robots. I don't even think that those Military androids exist at all. That's just GLaDOS being an asshole (as she is the entire time).
    -I say "nice to see you again" several times, and I'm pretty sure I've never met a clone before.
    -GLaDOS had to put Chell in that chamber, so they probably met before.
    -Valve specifically mentions OTHER PEOPLE making those rat rooms in the commentary. It's pretty fucking explicit. OTHER PEOPLE, previous test subjects, other completely unrelated human beings made those shelters. And they ate food and drank water.

There is no reason whatsoever to think Chell is anything other than a regular human being with springs on her legs.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2007

-

About Apature:

They spent TEN years just making the DOS part of GLaDOS. Why would they suddenly have perfected a ridiculously advanced cloning tech? Even GLaDOS wouldn't know much about that.
    -There is absolutely NOTHING in the game that even insinuates the concept of clones or robots. I don't even think that those Military androids exist at all. That's just GLaDOS being an asshole (as she is the entire time).
    -I say "nice to see you again" several times, and I'm pretty sure I've never met a clone before.
    -Valve specifically mentions OTHER PEOPLE making those rat rooms in the commentary. It's pretty fucking explicit. OTHER PEOPLE, previous test subjects, other completely unrelated human beings made those shelters. And they ate food and drank water.

There is no reason whatsoever to think Chell is anything other than a regular human being with springs on her legs.

I disagree

How do you know there is no biotech equipment? all you see is the enrichment facility and the structure supporting it.

There MUST be biotech abilities for them to even MAKE GLADoS. She is genetic information combined with software and hardware. You would need some pretty advanced facilities to do that.

the a) Heimlich counter-maneuver, b) Take a Wish foundation were ramblings of a madman. The followed them and had to report to the federal government, where they released information about their portal research and were promptly protected and given money.

OK so the absence of a big sign saying "cloning R US" means cloning is impossible does it?

Yes the commentary says other subjects were responsible for the rat holes… but a previous version of yourself is “another person” it is not you in your current state. VALVE is NEVER clear about ANYTHING in the half life universe. I don’t expect them to come out a confirm or deny anything.

I’m just looking at the facts:

1) you are a number.
    2) GLADoS says “ hello and, again, welcome” NOT “Hello again and welcome” The are two very different things.
    3) You have a serial number printed on your forearm.
    4) You are surgically modified.
    5) The notes on your clipboard hints that you have been observed before, yet you don’t remember anything

3DKnight on
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This was probably mentioned at somepoint (although I haven't seen it on any of the numerous pages I've read), but if you login to the AS website and use the command thecakeisalie, if you press return it takes you to a psuedo-budget screen with only 3 items:

Flour (...potentially for cake? O_o )
    whatever an INTUB-XLG is (for $974,999.99)
    TACK-THMB (which at $0.02 a piece I feel confident in naming them thumbtacks)

(although it is supposed to be the screen to cover up your spying on the test chamber if a supervisor walks by, so it's probably not intended to covert information among AS employees)

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
    edited October 2007
    Hey! Hey.
    The Heimlich Counter-Maunuever and the Take-a-Wish foundation are canon, goddammit. Aperture Science is a cartoonishly insane and mostly evil company. And every crazy dang thing they did was done with the utmost seriousness and a wholehearted devotion. They made a fully functional sentient AI in response to a government contract for a fuel de-icer.

Sure, secrets abound, but don't go explaining away the cartoonish mad-science. It has made the Half Life universe a thousand times more awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I AM GOING TO STAB EVERYONE IN THE FACE. iT MUST BE TRUE, BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL SEEING THIS ON A COMPUTER, AND A COMPUTER DOESN'T GET THINGS WRONG. EVER.

Anyways, here's my explanation of how "Hello and again, welcome" doesn't mean you're a clone or an android:
    portal_clone.png

Also, there's a little arm that sets down sentry guns that can oh, I dunno, reset portal gun placement too? Gee? Maybe?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2007
    Hey! Hey.
    The Heimlich Counter-Maunuever and the Take-a-Wish foundation are cannon, goddammit. Aperture Science is a cartoonishly insane and mostly evil company. And every crazy dang thing they did was done with the utmost seriousness and a wholehearted devotion. They made a fully functional sentient AI in response to a government contract for a fuel de-icer.

Sure, secrets abound, but don't go explaining away the cartoonish mad-science. It has made the Half Life universe a thousand times more awesome.

Yes but that doesn't explain what thecakeisalie shows you... an employee complaining about inadequate equipment and his curiosity and anger about the enrichment facility.. meaning there was a definite split down the company in terms of knowledge sharing and transparency. He even notes that there aren't even any doors... yet doesn't mention portal tech.

@PikaPuff doesn't your comic mean that the same person went to the same place twice? yet you have no memory or the place.. since GALDoS take you though very simple tasks to open the first doors. I'm just looking at all the info presented and all the hints, and from my point of view there enough stuff to point towards clone/modified than not. All the info and hints are there for a reason... why place all the stuff i listed down? They would of known people woudl interpret it a certain way... much like they do with half life

3DKnight on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can someone tell me how to log onto the aperture website and get all the secret stuff?

NickTheNewbie on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    You destroy 4/400 parts of her. I really really doubt that any of the last song is any more rational than her previous sugar-coated sarcastic hatred. Remember, the morality portion was added. She, like any good AI, is simply inherently a capricious and insane jerk.
    Not every part of a machine is linked to it's personality. She specifically tells you what those little balls are, they specifically affect her personality. You get rid of one that is really angry, and you get rid of one that is laughing. There are dozens of others in the lab as well.

Sheep on
    edited October 2007
    Hey! Hey.
    The Heimlich Counter-Maunuever and the Take-a-Wish foundation are cannon, goddammit. Aperture Science is a cartoonishly insane and mostly evil company. And every crazy dang thing they did was done with the utmost seriousness and a wholehearted devotion. They made a fully functional sentient AI in response to a government contract for a fuel de-icer.

Yes but that doesn't explain what thecakeisalie shows you... an employee complaining about inadequate equipment and his curiosity and anger about the enrichment facility.. meaning there was a definite split down the company in terms of knowledge sharing and transparency. He even notes that there aren't even any doors... yet doesn't mention portal tech.

@PikaPuff doesn't your comic mean that the same person went to the same place twice? yet you have no memory or the place.. since GALDoS take you though very simple tasks to open the first doors.
    I'm guessing it went:

-GLaDOS online
    -GLaDOS attempts to murder everyone
    -Morality core is installed
    -GLaDOS murders everyone from management tier1 up on Bring Your Daughter To Work Day, through some fancy moralizing
    -GLaDOS keeps remaining employees and temps in the dark, turns Daughters into test subjects, to move onto employees when necessary
    -You!

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007
    Hey! Hey.

I'm guessing it went:

-GLaDOS online
    -GLaDOS attempts to murder everyone
    -Morality core is installed
    -GLaDOS murders everyone from management tier1 up on Bring Your Daughter To Work Day, through some fancy moralizing
    -GLaDOS keeps remaining employees and temps in the dark, turns Daughters into test subjects, to move onto employees when necessary
    -You!

hmm that dosn't work... the website says GLADoS went online on the same day as bring you daughter to work day.

in some ways it was a success

I personally think the success was getting all the brainscans, but the gassing happened. SOME people died, but only a few. hence why there are no bodies.

Morality core installed.

Secret asset testing started.

Combine Invasion.

Apature deserted. GLADoS left to continually follow programming and "do science"

Wakes you up after an indefinate period of time. You win.. Project suceeded. GLADoS moved on to other tests on other subjects.

3DKnight on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OK, enough with all the conspiracy theories!

First of all, the elaborate stuff about cloning and androids has so much stuff that can be easily explained in more mundane ways. Ever hear of something called Occam's Razor? The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
    Chell is a human being trapped in an experiment gone bad by a crazy AI. The marks on the wall and the writing are her own, because the AI killed everyone else. The very first line the AI apologizes for putting her in detention *again* because this is not the first time she's run the test course. The hidden rooms with water and food supplies are there because she camps out in these places while she figures out how to get the hell out of the place (it's better than the detention cell, I'm sure). We, as the player, come into the middle of this story, and get to play out her role.
    The whole thing is just a backstory prop for a very fun game. To obsess over this backstory is just stupid, in my opinion, because it is just a means to an end.

Great storytelling doesn't reveal everything, because some mystery is fun. Classic example: Empire Strikes Back. Lucas made a masterstroke storytelling move by having Darth Vader mutter the words "No, I am your father." Then he made the prequels that explained all that and in many people's minds it killed the magic of the originals (besides just being plain awful movies). He killed the mystery and the fun by explaining too much. Portal is fun, because the backstory is a mystery you may never figure out, but that makes the main character interesting to play.

If you knew everything about Chell before the game started, it probably would suck the fun out of most of the gameplay.
    You'd realize that the first 18 levels are just a warmup for the escape, and they would quickly become a chore.
    There'd be no discovery, no plot twists, and (IMO) no fun. It would be an academic exercise in playing with the portal gun. Instead they created a brilliant mystery that unfolds on itself with witty dark humor. More games should aspire to this kind of brilliance.

Oh, and let's not forget the example of Gordon Freeman. We still don't know the complete backstory there, or the entire history of his experiments at Black Mesa, why the aliens are trying to conquer earth (do they really need a reason?), etc. It's just a clever backdrop for a FPS that is fun to play. The story is just the reward for progression through the game. We may never know everything about Gordon, but honestly do we really need to to have fun playing the game?

</rant>

El Guaco on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    You'd realize that the first 18 levels are just a warmup for the escape, and they would quickly become a chore.

Excellent point.

Sheep on
    edited October 2007
    See though, conspiracy theory game backstories are so much cooler.

It's what I loved about Marathon, they give you just enough for you to build up the coolest idea you can think of.

As for my timeline
    Agh, correct. I forgot about that. Your timeline would make sense, and maintain the awesomeness of Aperture keeping GLaDOS even though she killed a bunch of them.

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007
    Can someone tell me how to log onto the aperture website and get all the secret stuff?

herp prease.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2007
    El Guaco wrote: »

First of all, the elaborate stuff about cloning and androids has so much stuff that can be easily explained in more mundane ways. Ever hear of something called Occam's Razor? The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
    Chell is a human being trapped in an experiment gone bad by a crazy AI. The marks on the wall and the writing are her own, because the AI killed everyone else. The very first line the AI apologizes for putting her in detention *again* because this is not the first time she's run the test course. The hidden rooms with water and food supplies are there because she camps out in these places while she figures out how to get the hell out of the place (it's better than the detention cell, I'm sure). We, as the player, come into the middle of this story, and get to play out her role.
    There'd be no discovery, no plot twists, and (IMO) no fun. It would be an academic exercise in playing with the portal gun. Instead they created a brilliant mystery that unfolds on itself with witty dark humor. More games should aspire to this kind of brilliance.

</rant>

Sorry but Occam's Razor does not apply to Half Life lol... Do you think Occam's Razor applies ANYWHERE in the Half Life Universe?? The transdimentional G-Man.. playing DUES EX MACHINA all over the place. the inter dimensional combine invasion... you cnnot use Occam's Razor in Half Life, lol, it just dosn't apply.
    Ok so the writing is Chells, yet it obviously shows whoever wrote it has gone INSANE.. do you not remeber that? and why woudl GLADoS every try to convince you there will be cake if you already know its a trap... you woudl be clrealy insane and paranoid about GLADoS.. ignoring her completely... it dosn't make sense, sorry.

3DKnight on
    edited October 2007

herp prease.
    Few spoilers:
    Go to www.aperturescience.com

You can then either use HELP or LOGIN

Use HELP first for a funny message, then use LOGIN, Username:CJOHNSON Password:TIER3

You can then use LIST to see what files he has access to.

You can fill out an awesome employee application by typing APPLY, look at the company backstory by typing ADMIN(I think, the second file, either way), or get a creepy message by typing THECAKEISALIE (Which is spelt out by letters that blink and disappear in the employee application).

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007
    iT MUST BE TRUE, BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL SEEING THIS ON A COMPUTER, AND A COMPUTER DOESN'T GET THINGS WRONG. EVER.

This is such a terrible argument because it's painfully clear throughout the game that GLaDOS is capable of LYING TO YOUR FUCKING FACE to get what she wants. She used neurotoxin on people so she clearly has no scruples and cannot be trusted AT ALL.

And if you truly believe that computers can never get anything wrong, ever, you live in a fantasy land that is not part of the normal physical universe the rest of us live in.

El Guaco on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    She is apologizing for the time you have spent waiting for the test to start... its implied you were in the cage a while.

Why, why would you:
    Write 'help' and 'thecakeisalie' all over the place if you are writing to yourself.

You cite Occams' razor.. yet you make it SO overly complicated. You are a test subject. You are seeing the notes left by person(s) before you.

When you hear hooves galloping across the ground, do you assume a horse, or a zebra?

When you see notes written all over, do you assume others, or that you are one of many iterations of 'chell' that has had memory erased and you are slowly making more progress ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
    edited October 2007

herp prease.
    Few spoilers:
    Go to www.aperturescience.com

You can then either use HELP or LOGIN

Use HELP first for a funny message, then use LOGIN, Username:CJOHNSON Password:TIER3

You can then use LIST to see what files he has access to.

You can fill out an awesome employee application by typing APPLY, look at the company backstory by typing ADMIN(I think, the second file, either way), or get a creepy message by typing THECAKEISALIE (Which is spelt out by letters that blink and disappear in the employee application).

THX1138

NickTheNewbie on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

-

About Apature:

I disagree

How do you know there is no biotech equipment? all you see is the enrichment facility and the structure supporting it.

There MUST be biotech abilities for them to even MAKE GLADoS. She is genetic information combined with software and hardware. You would need some pretty advanced facilities to do that.

the a) Heimlich counter-maneuver, b) Take a Wish foundation were ramblings of a madman. The followed them and had to report to the federal government, where they released information about their portal research and were promptly protected and given money.

OK so the absence of a big sign saying "cloning R US" means cloning is impossible does it?

Yes the commentary says other subjects were responsible for the rat holes… but a previous version of yourself is “another person” it is not you in your current state. VALVE is NEVER clear about ANYTHING in the half life universe. I don’t expect them to come out a confirm or deny anything.

1) you are a number.
    2) GLADoS says “ hello and, again, welcome” NOT “Hello again and welcome” The are two very different things.
    5) The notes on your clipboard hints that you have been observed before, yet you don’t remember anything

Don't be ridiculous.
    GLaDOS already welcomed you into the AS facility. When you went there for the "Bring your daughter to work" day. There is no direct evidence whatsoever pointing towards cloning in any of the games, and all the things you pointed are not even related to cloning. Tatoos? A funny stiletto heel? Fuck man, there are people wearing those things today, you know. Tatoos, numbers and peg-legs are several centuries old. Are you saying that Auschwitz was full of clones, then?

Seriously, you're grasping at straws that were already burned. There is nothing there. You are over-thinking it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2007
    So on that receipt on the aperture website, what do you reckon INTUB-XLG is?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2007

I disagree

1) you are a number.

Don't be ridiculous.
    GLaDOS already welcomed you into the AS facility. When you went there for the "Bring your daughter to work" day. There is no direct evidence whatsoever pointing towards cloning in any of the games, and all the things you pointed are not even related to cloning. Tatoos? A funny stiletto heel? Fuck man, there are people wearing those things today, you know. Tatoos, numbers and peg-legs are several centuries old. Are you saying that Auschwitz was full of clones, then?

Seriously, you're grasping at straws that were already burned. There is nothing there. You are over-thinking it.

Oh yeah TONS of people get a series of huge numbers tattoes on thier forearms.

Seriously i laid out all the facts to support it.. Your only argument against it is "it's too complex" and "i don't see cloning equipment" Hello Half Life is VERY complex in its storytelling

back up your reasoning other that "it's wrong becuase it is"

3DKnight on
    edited October 2007

</rant>

Sorry but Occam's Razor does not apply to Half Life lol... Do you think Occam's Razor applies ANYWHERE in the Half Life Universe?? The transdimentional G-Man.. playing DUES EX MACHINA all over the place. the inter dimensional combine invasion... you cnnot use Occam's Razor in Half Life, lol, it just dosn't apply.
    Ok so the writing is Chells, yet it obviously shows whoever wrote it has gone INSANE.. do you not remeber that? and why woudl GLADoS every try to convince you there will be cake if you already know its a trap... you woudl be clrealy insane and paranoid about GLADoS.. ignoring her completely... it dosn't make sense, sorry.
    Since I was Chell playing the game, who are you to say I didn't ignore the AI's promises of cake? The AI is newly sentient, and arguably insane as well. The AI seems to believe that promises of cake & punishment and passive-agressive behavior are all valid tactics to keep you from killing her/it. Every person who plays this game completes it by ignoring her taunts and killing her. It makes perfect sense. I wasn't insane when I played this game (as far as I can tell) and since it is my role to play Chell, I'm given no reason to believe I'm playing an insane character. But I am given every indication that I'm in an experiment gone badly, and there is strong evidence I (Chell) have been at this for some time. If the AI was truly smarter than I (Chell), I shouldn't be able to defeat it so easily. If GLaDOS were truly understanding that these taunts were empty threats, she wouldn't bother, and do everythign to expedite your death.

El Guaco on
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

-

About Apature:

I disagree

1) you are a number.

Don't be ridiculous.

And don't we know one of the test subjects (42 IIRC) was a chicken or something? Plus in the ending you can hear men scream inside the facility. And GLaDOS talking about having more *people* to experiment on. Really, nothing points towards clones.

chevluh on
    edited October 2007
    So, I may have missed it in the previous thread, but I thought it would be fun to come up with clever real-life uses for a Portal gun.

Other than the obvious transportation ideas, like completely replacing the airline industry, what would you do with one?

Space travel to other planets would be accelerated, since we could launch a rocket containing a portal gun to setup the far end of a portal on Mars or the Moon. It would be just a matter of getting that first portal to the place you want to get to.

Military use: Gigantic mortars could be setup permanently in one place. Put a portal entrance in front of the gun, then take a portable platform that houses the other end. Aim the portal at your enemy and fire the gun.

El Guaco on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Regarding the 'simple' solution:
    If they're your notes to yourself, because she killed everyone, then who installed the morality core? Someone's still alive, at least late enough to install the morality core.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Another idea: Inescapable prisons. You could build a room with no doors or windows, and use portals to move people in and out.

El Guaco on
    edited October 2007
    So, I may have missed it in the previous thread, but I thought it would be fun to come up with clever real-life uses for a Portal gun.

Other than the obvious transportation ideas, like completely replacing the airline industry, what would you do with one?

Space travel to other planets would be accelerated, since we could launch a rocket containing a portal gun to setup the far end of a portal on Mars or the Moon. It would be just a matter of getting that first portal to the place you want to get to.

Military use: Gigantic mortars could be setup permanently in one place. Put a portal entrance in front of the gun, then take a portable platform that houses the other end. Aim the portal at your enemy and fire the gun.

Infinite Combine Ball-mines.

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007
    Elli Vance and Chell both have the same reverse curving spring. Both connect to the back of the knee, Eli's just lacks the rest of the leg coming out from that knee.

Yumcake on

kelbear1.png
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The site does indicate something else there besides you being 'the latest person to take the test'.

Questions like 'Do you often experience Deja Vu?', etc.

Really, I just wanted to chime in with how much I like this game.

Which is a lot.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • ThandorThandor __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

If you set a portal on a planet which atmosphere is more pressurized than Earth's, gas would come rushing through the portal and pressurize earth's atmosphere.

Thandor on
    edited October 2007

Harness perpetual falling for use in a generator for "Free" energy harvested from gravity.

Yumcake on

kelbear1.png
This discussion has been closed.