As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Portal] Prelude Mod now available!

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thandor wrote: »
    El Guaco wrote: »
    So, I may have missed it in the previous thread, but I thought it would be fun to come up with clever real-life uses for a Portal gun.

Other than the obvious transportation ideas, like completely replacing the airline industry, what would you do with one?

Space travel to other planets would be accelerated, since we could launch a rocket containing a portal gun to setup the far end of a portal on Mars or the Moon. It would be just a matter of getting that first portal to the place you want to get to.

Military use: Gigantic mortars could be setup permanently in one place. Put a portal entrance in front of the gun, then take a portable platform that houses the other end. Aim the portal at your enemy and fire the gun.

If you set a portal on a planet which atmosphere is more pressurized than Earth's, gas would come rushing through the portal and pressurize earth's atmosphere.

That sounds like something AS would do, but the guy responsible for locking the door in the test chamber would be on a smoke break.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    El Guaco wrote: »
    So, I may have missed it in the previous thread, but I thought it would be fun to come up with clever real-life uses for a Portal gun.

Other than the obvious transportation ideas, like completely replacing the airline industry, what would you do with one?

Space travel to other planets would be accelerated, since we could launch a rocket containing a portal gun to setup the far end of a portal on Mars or the Moon. It would be just a matter of getting that first portal to the place you want to get to.

Military use: Gigantic mortars could be setup permanently in one place. Put a portal entrance in front of the gun, then take a portable platform that houses the other end. Aim the portal at your enemy and fire the gun.

If you set a portal on a planet which atmosphere is more pressurized than Earth's, gas would come rushing through the portal and pressurize earth's atmosphere.

Well, if you're an idiot, yeah. But you set it up inside whatever sort of pressurized capsule you sent there. And have very good safety restrictions.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So on that receipt on the aperture website, what do you reckon INTUB-XLG is?

Inner tube, extra large? Though I don't know what GLaDOS would need a million dollar giant inner tube for.

ihopius on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ihopius wrote: »

Inner tube, extra large? Though I don't know what GLaDOS would need a million dollar giant inner tube for.

Maybe since she's
    stuck in the arctic ocean?

NickTheNewbie on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

My first thought was Intubation, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

My second thought is Incubation Tube, or something like that...

Houn on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The "Hello and, again, welcome..." thing sounds like something someone says the second time they say it to you. As if you were welcomed immediately before being put to sleep, then were to put to sleep and she is once again saying hello.
    I could see it the other way but I'm basing it on the tone of her comment. Like when you see the second speaker at a conference they "again welcome" you.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • 3DKnight3DKnight Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houn wrote: »

million buck for an incubation tube...

goes along with the theory of a front corporation and cloning
    I mean if they have enough understanding of genetics to make SENTIENT LIFE out of a DoS system, you would think cloning is easy.. hell cloning animals has already happened today.. it's not that far out there.

Hell:

Take your daughter to work day could be a way for them to get the eggs needed to clone. Why did it have to be "daughters"? take all the eggs out of the female, and use them to clone herself with her own DNA! spooky!

@patboy: well "welcome" refers to a palce... hello refers to a meeting.. so it's a welcome back to a place you have already been....?

3DKnight on
  • ThandorThandor __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Also: for the stupid android argument:

"There is research to be done on the people who are still alive"
    "Think of all the things we learned for the people who are still alive"
    "You make a neat gun for THE PEOPLE who are still ALIVE"

Thandor on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

Except for the ones who are dead.

Sheep on
    edited October 2007

A. Spoiler.
    B. What do you mean, Star Trek: The Next Generation Android, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Android?

"What do you mean? African or European Swallow?"

Houn on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    as has been pointed out already, even if we want to disregard Occam's Razor (LOL!!!11, even though it's not something to be disregarded, since "the simplest solution" is always the most likely), the company started out making simple portals (shower curtains), and went on to feature such successes as the Heimlich Counter-Maneuver and the Take-A-Wish foundation. A lot of what GLaDOS says is humorous, with more than a few nods to sci-fi over the years. The game is, primarily, a game. Secondly, it is funny. I would ask everyone to apply these two facts to their observations first, before poring over every iota being gleaned from the game, the site, and the closing song. Yes, there's a story, and yes it probably will be worked into the Half-Life storyline in more depth as it goes on. But to sift through everything, concocting reasons and arguments that are based almost solely on throwaway comments by an unstable, comedic character within the game, is really, really stretching things.
    It's like someone spilled songmeanings in my G&T.

edit: as for the song, i know he worked closely with Valve, and as such it relates to elements within the game.. but again, let's not forget that it's an amusing song for the end of the game. Please consider that first, before going "well this line rhymes with this one, which gives it extra credibility, i think he's trying to tell us something". For instance, i took "and we're out of beta, we're releasing on time" to be more a jibe at Valve themselves, and their habit of delaying games, than something intrinsic to the game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    as has been pointed out already, even if we want to disregard Occam's Razor (LOL!!!11, even though it's not something to be disregarded, since "the simplest solution" is always the most likely), the company started out making simple portals (shower curtains), and went on to feature such successes as the Heimlich Counter-Maneuver and the Take-A-Wish foundation. A lot of what GLaDOS says is humorous, with more than a few nods to sci-fi over the years. The game is, primarily, a game. Secondly, it is funny. I would ask everyone to apply these two facts to their observations first, before poring over every iota being gleaned from the game, the site, and the closing song. Yes, there's a story, and yes it probably will be worked into the Half-Life storyline in more depth as it goes on. But to sift through everything, concocting reasons and arguments that are based almost solely on throwaway comments by an unstable, comedic character within the game, is really, really stretching things.

Occam's Razor doesn't apply to Fiction, as the standard rules of what consists of the Easiest Answer do not apply; the entire point of fiction is that it's not reality, regardless of how much a given story may share in common with it.

Also, we do it because speculation is FUN! :D

Houn on
    edited October 2007

Like i said before, GLaDOS would need an inner tube if she's
    floating around in the middle of the arctic

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2007
    If Valve didn't want you to read into these things, why purposely name it aperture science.. which is also
    named in half life and is expected to be a huge plot line in episode 3
    ?

they could of named the facility in Portal ANYTHING

but not only did they name it aperture since, but they also make references to
    Black Mesa
    , and scatter things around the level that brings up the questions

Valve WANTED to create a hidden backstory.. and they went around doing it pretty apparently.

they could of release portal as a completely separate game in a different universe... but they didn't.. it was very deliberate

3DKnight on
    edited October 2007

If she's already floating, why does she need an inner tube? ;-)

Houn on
  • ThandorThandor __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

What is this arctic ocean stuff?

Also, my previous post did not contain spoilers.

Thandor on
  • ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    From the ARG site, hmm I wonder ...

cjohnson = Chell Johnson? And the password is terrible. It's the kind of generic password given to temps to grant them basic access to a system. So GLaDOS may have been telling the truth about you 'not even being a full time employee'. GLaDOS is an archtypical unreliable narrator though, so who knows what if anything she says is true.

If Chell is 'cjohnson', she was obviously skilled enough to hack the system to view experimental areas through the security cams however. thecakeisalie

ihopius on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Occam's Razor doesn't apply to Fiction, as the standard rules of what consists of the Easiest Answer do not apply; the entire point of fiction is that it's not reality, regardless of how much a given story may share in common with it.

Also, we do it because speculation is FUN! :D

i know, but when it gets to a point where, as i said, people are basing great reams of speculation on a word that is used in a phrase to set up a joke, for instance, then referencing a whole host of other sources to try and justify it.. surely there's a point you should just pull back and go "wait, maybe it is just a joke".

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2007

What is this arctic ocean stuff?

Also, my previous post did not contain spoilers.

Have you played episode 2?

ep2 spoilers:
    There is an aperture research ship frozen up in the arctic circle. Clues lead to believe a teleportation accident brought it there. The slides in the black mesa vs. aperture powerpoint in portal show that GLaDOS was primarily a ship fuel de-icing system, with the added bonus of being a sentient computer (seriously).

ihopius: cjohnson is cave johnson, chell's father. TIER3 is a refrence to the business plan he created, which is shown on the company history on the ARG site.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2007

cjohnson = Chell Johnson? And the password is terrible. It's the kind of generic password given to temps to grant them basic access to a system. So GLaDOS may have been telling the truth about you 'not even being a full time employee'. GLaDOS is an archtypical unreliable narrator though, so who knows what if anything she says is true.

If Chell is 'cjohnson', she was obviously skilled enough to hack the system to view experimental areas through the security cams however. thecakeisalie
    cjohnson is Cave Johnson. Log in to www.aperturescience.com with it, and type "notes" to read the company history. Cave Johnson was the company's founder.

There is nothing in-game, or in the game file packages, that states Chell's last name.

Houn on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

cjohnson is Cave Johnson. Log in to www.aperturescience.com with it, and type "notes" to read the company history. Cave Johnson was the company's founder.

There is nothing in-game, or in the game file packages, that states Chell's last name.
    Also, to clarify the second point, Tier 3 was part of the three-tiered approach to bring Aperture Science into the future. The first tier is the counter-Heimlich maneuver, the second is the Take-A-Wish Foundation, that buys wishes from terminally ill children and sells them to wish-deprived but otherwise healthy adults, and the third tier is the directive to make a gun that rips a hole in the fabric of reality, possibly for use with shower curtains somehow.

freakish light on
    edited October 2007
    3DKnight wrote: »

million buck for an incubation tube...

goes along with the theory of a front corporation and cloning
    I mean if they have enough understanding of genetics to make SENTIENT LIFE out of a DoS system, you would think cloning is easy.. hell cloning animals has already happened today.. it's not that far out there.

Hell:

Take your daughter to work day could be a way for them to get the eggs needed to clone. Why did it have to be "daughters"? take all the eggs out of the female, and use them to clone herself with her own DNA! spooky!

@patboy: well "welcome" refers to a palce... hello refers to a meeting.. so it's a welcome back to a place you have already been....?

The tubes we have seen, no? They move the boxes.

I walk in the door to do a study, the receptionist says hello and welcomes me. They put me in a waiting room for a while. Person conducting the test comes in and says "Hello, again, welcome to the blah blah blah test you've already had explained to you when you signed up."
    I'm basing this largely on the manner in which it is spoken. When people say "Hello again" it is all one phrase. When she says it is is Hello. Again, welcome to the..." the tone, to me, implies that she is explaining it to me again.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey
    guys,
    why don't
    we add a goddamn
    spoiler tag to the goddamn
    thread name
    and just put in the first post that
    if you are a fucking IDIOT
    and haven't
    finished
    a goddamn
    3 HOUR game
    yet then GET
    the fuck out of
    our
    thread and make
    your own.

This
    spoiler shit
    is
    getting
    re
    goddamn
    diculus.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    altmann wrote: »
    Hey
    guys,
    why don't
    we add a goddamn
    spoiler tag to the goddamn
    thread name
    and just put in the first post that
    if you are a fucking IDIOT
    and haven't
    finished
    a goddamn
    3 HOUR game
    yet then GET
    the fuck out of
    our
    thread and make
    your own.

This
    spoiler shit
    is
    getting
    re
    goddamn
    diculus.

Some people have not played or finished the game yet. It has only been out a week. The game loses a lot of its impact if people know about something as basic as
    there's more than just the 19 "trials" to the game

Someone coming in for help on #18 might not want that spoiled for them.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nah, I didn't even mind that. *clickclickclickclickclickclickclick*

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2007
    RIdiculous

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2007
    RIdiculous

Spoiler that shit!
    You ruined the OED for me.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

Hell:

I walk in the door to do a study, the receptionist says hello and welcomes me. They put me in a waiting room for a while. Person conducting the test comes in and says "Hello, again, welcome to the blah blah blah test you've already had explained to you when you signed up."
    I'm basing this largely on the manner in which it is spoken. When people say "Hello again" it is all one phrase. When she says it is is Hello. Again, welcome to the..." the tone, to me, implies that she is explaining it to me again.

I Agree with your reasoning, and the only reason she would explain it to you again is either you volunteered to enter these trails and get a huge ass tattoo on your arm with surgically implanted knee springs, or that your either are a clone or have had your brain washed...

the reason i think this is the case is that, like most of GLADoS's verbal slip ups, the "again" sounds a bit hiccupy.. as if it was a mistake for her to say it. GLADoS throughout the game cannot seem to think ahead in her speach, she can only cut herself off, or garble it immediately if she thinks she went to far saying something.. like when you escape the fire pit.. and almost every level until then

3DKnight on
    edited October 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

Hell:

I Agree with your reasoning, and the only reason she would explain it to you again is either you volunteered to enter these trails and get a huge ass tattoo on your arm with surgically implanted knee springs, or that your either are a clone or have had your brain washed...

the reason i think this is the case is that, like most of GLADoS's verbal slip ups, the "again" sounds a bit hiccupy.. as if it was a mistake for her to say it. GLADoS throughout the game cannot seem to think ahead in her speach, she can only cut herself off, or garble it immediately if she thinks she went to far saying something.. like when you escape the fire pit.. and almost every level until then

Yeah, I don't know. Frankly, I just want to stop parsing every sentence. I'm so tired of wanting to know, being compelled to find answers! Good thing it will only be another 3 years until they give us more info.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Valve's storytelling method is to tell a very short and simple story, but stretch it over the course of 10 years thanks to the help of good level design to keep us distracted from the fact that they aren't telling us any story at all.

NickTheNewbie on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ihopius: ccjohnson is cave johnson, chell's father. TIER3 is a refrence to the business plan he created, which is shown on the company history on the ARG site.

Please source the bold'd wild conjecture.

Dehumanized on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The INternet is a set of TUBes - eXtra LarGe? :D

Also:
    This reminds me of a Tom Clancy quote: "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." It has no bearing on the discussion whatsoever (probably has to do with the "art of storytelling" or a cynic's view of the world). But I just thought I'd share.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited October 2007
    ihopius: ccjohnson is cave johnson, chell's father. TIER3 is a refrence to the business plan he created, which is shown on the company history on the ARG site.

Actually I'm just going off what everyone else has been saying. I don't have an original source, nor do i know where people are getting the name "chell" from.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2007

Actually I'm just going off what everyone else has been saying. I don't have an original source, nor do i know where people are getting the name "chell" from.

The name Chell is listed in the game's credits, and is the name of the file for the player character's model. It MAY be in the Commentary as well, but I don't recall with any certainty.

Nothing in-game or out links the name Chell with Johnson.
    Someone, at some point, saw, cjohnson/tier3 on the wall, and assumed the "c" must be Chell, when it's far more likely that it's the company's founder, Cave Johnson, whom you would only know about by using the cjohnson/tier3 creds on aperturescience.com

Houn on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not that I'm getting in to the debate, but I haven't seen anyone mention the part where she says "Well done, android." Or is the "Well done" comment on the same level just before the "hell" comment?

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The name Chell is listed in the game's credits, and is the name of the file for the player character's model. It MAY be in the Commentary as well, but I don't recall with any certainty.

Nothing in-game or out links the name Chell with Johnson.
    Someone, at some point, saw, cjohnson/tier3 on the wall, and assumed the "c" must be Chell, when it's far more likely that it's the company's founder, Cave Johnson, whom you would only know about by using the cjohnson/tier3 creds on aperturescience.com

...except the infamous letter C and a bunch of people who jump to conclusions about hearing the protagonist's name starts with a C and there's a login name that starts with a C.

[edit]yea, that's what you say in that magical, appearing spoiler box[/edit]

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. I just completed the last advanced level (it took me two hours) and now I am completely drained and have no desire to do any of the challenges ever. I am so glad the main game wasn't that hard or else I would've never finished it. Actually, I have no idea how people on the console could play Portal properly, as I had to up my mouse sensitivity by 100% just to turn fast enough. That doesn't mean I don't love the game to no end, but Portal now feels like a really good film that you never ever want to watch again because the first time around was so damn miserable (but in a good, enjoyable, beautiful way). Eg. certain parts of Kieslowski's Dekalog.

Shazbot! on
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Wow. I just completed the last advanced level (it took me two hours) and now I am completely drained and have no desire to do any of the challenges ever. I am so glad the main game wasn't that hard or else I would've never finished it. Actually, I have no idea how people on the console could play Portal properly, as I had to up my mouse sensitivity by 100% just to turn fast enough. That doesn't mean I don't love the game to no end, but Portal now feels like a really good film that you never ever want to watch again because the first time around was so damn miserable (but in a good, enjoyable, beautiful way). Eg. certain parts of Kieslowski's Dekalog.

Hmm... my solutions for that level involved no fast turning at all. Work smarter, not harder.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It is a bit weird how the log-in cjohnson accesses an application and notes about the founder Cave Johnson.

You wouldn't think Cave Johnson would need either of those things.

Just saying.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    Not that I'm getting in to the debate, but I haven't seen anyone mention the part where she says "Well done, android." Or is the "Well done" comment on the same level just before the "hell" comment?

That's because you didn't read the other thread. It was basically 100 pages of "Android? Nuh uh. "

If you listen at the beginning, GlaDOS apologizes because that puzzle is designed for military androids. The bit at the end is just a joke.

Sceptre on
This discussion has been closed.