As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Portal] Prelude Mod now available!

1235763

Posts

  • Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Silas wrote: »
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Wow. I just completed the last advanced level (it took me two hours) and now I am completely drained and have no desire to do any of the challenges ever. I am so glad the main game wasn't that hard or else I would've never finished it. Actually, I have no idea how people on the console could play Portal properly, as I had to up my mouse sensitivity by 100% just to turn fast enough. That doesn't mean I don't love the game to no end, but Portal now feels like a really good film that you never ever want to watch again because the first time around was so damn miserable (but in a good, enjoyable, beautiful way). Eg. certain parts of Kieslowski's Dekalog.

    Hmm... my solutions for that level involved no fast turning at all. Work smarter, not harder.
    Well the last part, with the disappearing platforms, you have to do 180 turns. But that's not my complaint, since that was the easiest part of that level, once I adjusted my mouse settings. I was just wondering how people using console controllers would do it.

    Maybe I am suffering from motion-sickness as well, but I don't know, ever since the turret-in-boxes and companion sphere popped up, Portal went from fun and satisfying to cruel and miserable. It felt like krpg grinding.

    Shazbot! on
  • j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Silas wrote: »
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Wow. I just completed the last advanced level (it took me two hours) and now I am completely drained and have no desire to do any of the challenges ever. I am so glad the main game wasn't that hard or else I would've never finished it. Actually, I have no idea how people on the console could play Portal properly, as I had to up my mouse sensitivity by 100% just to turn fast enough. That doesn't mean I don't love the game to no end, but Portal now feels like a really good film that you never ever want to watch again because the first time around was so damn miserable (but in a good, enjoyable, beautiful way). Eg. certain parts of Kieslowski's Dekalog.

    Hmm... my solutions for that level involved no fast turning at all. Work smarter, not harder.
    Well the last part, with the disappearing platforms, you have to do 180 turns. But that's not my complaint, since that was the easiest part of that level, once I adjusted my mouse settings. I was just wondering how people using console controllers would do it.

    Maybe I am suffering from motion-sickness as well, but I don't know, ever since the turret-in-boxes and companion sphere popped up, Portal went from fun and satisfying to cruel and miserable. It felt like krpg grinding.

    Logitech mice for the win. I already have my mouse at a ridiculously high sensitivity setting, so doing the 180s wasn't too bad. Really, most of those were just timing and setting up the portals right. I have NO IDEA how people can do this on a console game.

    ...and come on, it wasn't THAT hard or tedious, was it? I suck at FPSs and I still finished it in about the same time as everyone seems to be doing.

    j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't make much headway on the Challenges. I beat the Advanced without too much issue, but eff the Challenges. Eff them in the Ear.

    Houn on
  • ThandorThandor __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I found it to be too easy. I only died about 4 times and
    wished that there were more than 19 standard levels. There should have at least been some that made me frustrated once or twice

    Thandor on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I beat the last advanced level with a controller easy.

    BUT THEN IT RESET THEM! AHHHG!

    Gorilla Salad on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thandor wrote: »
    I found it to be too easy. I only died about 4 times and
    wished that there were more than 19 standard levels. There should have at least been some that made me frustrated once or twice

    Have you finished the Advanced and Challenges? I kept wishing the main game had gotten at least as hard as the first Advanced levels, but can't bring myself to complain about the difficulty too much, since I can't finish the bonus content.

    Houn on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was slightly bugged by a few things.

    How did the previous test subject in the companion test get all those photographs?

    If a previous person escaped the cake and put up all the signs leading you, why didn't you find his corpse where he actually expired?

    All in all, your escape and killing of glad felt much too easy. I was expecting to find out that the whole last part of the game was just a last test.

    EDIT: Maybe it was...

    Still, totally awesome game. And further made awesome by the fact that I beat the boss with 2.13 seconds left. That was fucking intense.

    Vic on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Silas wrote: »
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Wow. I just completed the last advanced level (it took me two hours) and now I am completely drained and have no desire to do any of the challenges ever. I am so glad the main game wasn't that hard or else I would've never finished it. Actually, I have no idea how people on the console could play Portal properly, as I had to up my mouse sensitivity by 100% just to turn fast enough. That doesn't mean I don't love the game to no end, but Portal now feels like a really good film that you never ever want to watch again because the first time around was so damn miserable (but in a good, enjoyable, beautiful way). Eg. certain parts of Kieslowski's Dekalog.

    Hmm... my solutions for that level involved no fast turning at all. Work smarter, not harder.
    Yeah. What he said.

    Regicid3 on
  • Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    j0hnz3r wrote: »
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Silas wrote: »
    Shazbot! wrote: »
    Wow. I just completed the last advanced level (it took me two hours) and now I am completely drained and have no desire to do any of the challenges ever. I am so glad the main game wasn't that hard or else I would've never finished it. Actually, I have no idea how people on the console could play Portal properly, as I had to up my mouse sensitivity by 100% just to turn fast enough. That doesn't mean I don't love the game to no end, but Portal now feels like a really good film that you never ever want to watch again because the first time around was so damn miserable (but in a good, enjoyable, beautiful way). Eg. certain parts of Kieslowski's Dekalog.

    Hmm... my solutions for that level involved no fast turning at all. Work smarter, not harder.
    Well the last part, with the disappearing platforms, you have to do 180 turns. But that's not my complaint, since that was the easiest part of that level, once I adjusted my mouse settings. I was just wondering how people using console controllers would do it.

    Maybe I am suffering from motion-sickness as well, but I don't know, ever since the turret-in-boxes and companion sphere popped up, Portal went from fun and satisfying to cruel and miserable. It felt like krpg grinding.

    Logitech mice for the win. I already have my mouse at a ridiculously high sensitivity setting, so doing the 180s wasn't too bad. Really, most of those were just timing and setting up the portals right. I have NO IDEA how people can do this on a console game.

    ...and come on, it wasn't THAT hard or tedious, was it? I suck at FPSs and I still finished it in about the same time as everyone seems to be doing.

    My Logitech mouse is out of batteries :(. I ended up with a two button Dell laser mouse using the back of a notebook as a mousepad. So my timing was ridiculously off . . . but I play TF2 pretty well with my ghetto setup, so the fact that Portal was so unforgiving at advanced 18 was quite annoying. Maybe I just suck at the game? I don't know. I finished the main game in about four hours because I literally spent an hour at random places falling in an infinite loop and going, "Weee!"

    How long did it take you to do that last advanced level?

    Shazbot! on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The level with the turret in the boxes was the best level in the game, I think.

    Regicid3 on
  • dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    edit: as for the song, i know he worked closely with Valve, and as such it relates to elements within the game.. but again, let's not forget that it's an amusing song for the end of the game. Please consider that first, before going "well this line rhymes with this one, which gives it extra credibility, i think he's trying to tell us something". For instance, i took "and we're out of beta, we're releasing on time" to be more a jibe at Valve themselves, and their habit of delaying games, than something intrinsic to the game.

    Coulton had access to backstory beyond that which we have been given in the game. Now, obviously that isn't proof that there are hidden messages in there - but it does mean that what he wrote is based on a much more complete picture than the one we have.

    (As to how I know that he had access to extra info - I asked him at a concert and he said so.)

    dopplex on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    The level with the turret in the boxes was the best level in the game, I think.

    For me to poop on.

    Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone flush the toilet in the Cage?
    There's something just wrong with a toilet that thanks you for your patronage.

    Edit: Also, has there been any official stance as to why Chell is wearing those leg braces? I mean, obviously they make you immune to falling damage, but were they first attached because Chell has some sort of medical condition, like polio? Maybe she was an early participant in the Take-A-Wish foundation, being one of the company's employee's daughter, and they took away her wish but instead gave her the ability to walk, while going overboard and making her able to survive the landing from atmospheric re-entry.

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Harvest energy from a perpetual falling machine? At first I though that was retarded, but then I thought of a way to do it. A simple waterfall and turbine could generate electricity very easily. But I would imagine that it requires some amount of energy to open and maintain a portal entrance. The game makes it look like it takes nothing, but I suppose if it were real it all, opening an intradimensional portal that bent space would require the energy of a freaking star. Not exactly efficient.

    I still think you guys spend way too much time thinking about the whole clone/andriod thing. It's a game! Just play it!

    El Guaco on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Where does the main character
    android/clone
    idea come from?
    For one, GLaDOS repeatedly brings up notions that the tests are for (military) androids, and at one points refers to android hell (<3 Red Dwarf reference). But you can easily check; just place the two portals next to one another on the same wall, walk through part-way and face the other portal. I think the character's eyes make it rather clear she's not human. Either that or her eyes have been replaced for no good reason.

    but then where would all the calculators go?!

    ha ha ha!

    edit: also
    the whole part in the song "we're out of beta, we're releasing on time", i think that people were thinking that was a reference to Chell having escaped/been the only android/clone to make it to GLaDOS.
    Dearest Imbecillic morons:
    SHE WAS FINISHING THE CODE ON SCIIDoS NOW CAN WE LEAVE THIS ALONE FOR AT LEAST ONE PAGE!

    minigunwielder on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    delroland wrote: »
    Anyone flush the toilet in the Cage?
    There's something just wrong with a toilet that thanks you for your patronage.

    Edit: Also, has there been any official stance as to why Chell is wearing those leg braces? I mean, obviously they make you immune to falling damage, but were they first attached because Chell has some sort of medical condition, like polio? Maybe she was an early participant in the Take-A-Wish foundation, being one of the company's employee's daughter, and they took away her wish but instead gave her the ability to walk, while going overboard and making her able to survive the landing from atmospheric re-entry.

    Listen to the second commentary node in the very first level. The leg braces are just there to prevent players from wondering why she can fall without taking damage.

    HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

    Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Valve's storytelling method is to tell a very short and simple story, but stretch it over the course of 10 years thanks to the help of good level design to keep us distracted from the fact that they aren't telling us any story at all.

    I hope that was sarcasm.

    CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    [oh noes spoiler]

    My theory: Consider what did you accomplished in the end.

    1. You escaped the tests.

    2. You blew a huge hole in the roof of Aperture Science

    3. You carried the portal gun into the outside world.

    4. You destroyed four personality nodes: one was overly nice. One was obsessed with cake. One was psychotic and violent.

    So consider this option: GLaDOS is activated. The three personality nodes in her brain quickly go nuts and start trying to gas the scientists. A fourth node, the morality core, is added to prevent her from killing everyone. It's also put in charge of the rocket turrets as a failsafe: if GLaDOS somehow manages to disable the morality core, she loses control of the rocket turrets so she can't use them to kill people. Possibly, at this point, take your daughter to work day happens and Aperture quietly uses the neurotoxin incident to spirit away a bunch of test subjects.

    Aperture science resumes research on the portal gun. On the verge of success, the Combine attack. Aperture evacuates the facility and orders GLaDOS to finish research pending their return. They never return. Miss G. uses her remaining test subjects to try and finish the portal gun. None of them succeed. Some of them go nuts. Some of them start writing up bizarre things on the walls, believing the companion cube is trying to stab them, etc. etc. Even if and when they do succeed, they never make it out past the victory candescence.

    Something must be done.

    The backup cores in the basement somehow manage to plot a course that will lead a test subject to the central processor core where the four psychotic personality cores have control of the main system. They somehow, probably using the facility automated systems, spraypaint clues all over the facility to direct the person to the correct course of action. When GLaDOS activates a new test subject, Chell, she not only proves surprisingly resourceful, but has the aid of the backup cores' clues to guide her.

    GLaDOS makes one last-ditch effort to kill Chell by "innocently" dropping the morality core and releasing the neurotoxin, but the rocket turret failsafe and Chell's own ingenuity manage to outsmart her. She destroys the four malfunctioning cores, ending with the violent and psychotic one that's been the core of all these problems. Big things explode. She winds up on the surface.

    The backup cores now have a clear opening to the outside world, from which they can help fight the Combine. They got rid of the psychotic, murderous elements of the primary personality that had previously been dominant. They have an agent, carrying the portal gun to the resistance.

    Oh, and they also baked a cake: after all, there was a promise. And they rescued your good friend the companion cube from the euthanizer. After all, you'll want to see him again.

    In conclusion, Portal is clearly an existential drama about a woman's internal struggle with her baser instincts, and how her convoluted plot helped her achieve integration and become a whole person once more.

    [/no more spoiler]

    themocaw on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What's sad is that actually makes sense compared to some of these "theories".

    Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The last scene is really weird, as it contains elements that would on their own be very clear but together make you wonder if what you are watching is real or not (the companion cube and the cake being "obviously" not real, and the awakening of the secondary personality nodes being a logical setup for the next arch of the story).

    I found in the developers commentary that I strongly dislike the voice actress that played Glad. I had to stop listening to her commentaries because they pissed me off so bad before it started to affect my opinion of GlaD as well. Luckily, she was a good at her job.



    Finally, I had an amusing mishap in my developers commentary playthrough. As I incinerated the last personality unit, I accidentally crushed my legs with the emergency intelligence incinerator. This lead to me being stuck while burning/bleeding to death as glad ripped a hole through the roof of the facility. I then woke up on the outside, only to die within seconds. I'd like to think that the gale eventually ripped me from my lower body and that I landed outside, bleeding to death. Interestingly I could look around a few seconds before I died, and I spotted the teleport gun lying next to me. Hardly surprising, but it was something I couldn't see while winning normally.

    Vic on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, see, there is one thing that people don't seem to be understanding in their theories here:

    All AI's, always, are evil. It's like the Drow*, okay?

    They just are. Any time you think one isn't, it's trying to trick you. Data and Lore were working together, Daedalus was a front for Icarus.

    GLaDOS was evil even when she had the morality core installed. Every core is evil, her curiosity core was trying to distract you with questions to get you to drop it so it could break your toes. The cake one? Obviously trying to murder you with a deadly recipe. The snarler was trying to bite you, hoping the sheer force of it's rage would allow it to grow the requisite parts.

    Basically, Bungie is(or was) correct: any AI, no matter how innocuous or nice, takes about a year or two to go evil and try to kill humanity.

    *Drizz't is a goddamn Trojan Horse. He splits open into billions of spiders that devour his adventuring companions when he hits level 20

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just thought you guys might find this IM convo interesting:

    [20:26] apocalypseguppy: Hey
    [20:26] apocalypseguppy: I can't figure out how to beat portal
    [20:26] iamaltmann: you
    [20:26] iamaltmann: fail
    [20:26] iamaltmann: what lvl are you on?
    [20:26] apocalypseguppy: She tried to murder me
    [20:26] apocalypseguppy: With fire
    [20:26] iamaltmann: YOU'RE NOT THINKING WITH PORTALS!
    [20:27] iamaltmann: so like
    [20:27] iamaltmann: you're just gonna die in a fire?
    [20:27] iamaltmann: you're giving up?
    [20:27] iamaltmann: that easy?
    [20:27] apocalypseguppy: I portalled out.
    [20:27] iamaltmann: how?
    [20:27] apocalypseguppy: Explored the lab and shit
    [20:27] iamaltmann: and?
    [20:27] apocalypseguppy: Where do I go?
    [20:27] iamaltmann: like
    [20:27] iamaltmann: you continue
    [20:27] iamaltmann: on
    [20:27] iamaltmann: i don't know which part you're on
    [20:27] apocalypseguppy: She says it's over
    [20:28] iamaltmann: hm
    [20:28] apocalypseguppy: Lay down my gun and lie down
    [20:28] iamaltmann: haha
    [20:28] iamaltmann: and assume the party escort submission position?
    [20:28] apocalypseguppy: Yeah

    altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

    "Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

    signature.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    haha

    LewieP on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This was, indeed, a triumph.


    Just beat it. The ending was truly brilliant.

    MechMantis on
  • rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    does the cube really talk? Also, I'm pretty sure I got all the cameras, but no achievement.

    rabblerouser on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    does the cube really talk? Also, I'm pretty sure I got all the cameras, but no achievement.

    Number of cameras in each chamber without specific location below:
    Cameras:

    Chamber 02: 3
    Chamber 03: 3
    Chamber 04: 2
    Chamber 05: 3
    Chamber 06: 0
    Chamber 07: 0
    Chamber 08: 0
    Chamber 09: 0
    Chamber 10: 1
    Chamber 11: 1
    Chamber 12: 0
    Chamber 13: 3
    Chamber 14: 0
    Chamber 15: 5
    Chamber 16: 5
    Chamber 17: 2
    Chamber 18: 2
    Chamber 19: 3

    Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love the way he set up the secondary riff. Never knew gmod had a piano model that actually had corresponding sound functions though...?

    sonictk on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    I love the way he set up the secondary riff. Never knew gmod had a piano model that actually had corresponding sound functions though...?
    That was custom made in Hammer, according to the Youtube description.

    Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have two friends who don't have a gaming PC or an X-Box, so I'm throwing a Portal Party this weekend.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone else get teary-eyed at the end credits? Sm I just being an emotional fag?

    I actually felt a little sad having to put the companion container in the disposal tube (;_;)

    halkun on
  • falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    halkun wrote: »
    Did anyone else get teary-eyed at the end credits? Sm I just being an emotional fag?

    I actually felt a little sad having to put the companion container in the disposal tube (;_;)

    Am I the only one who saw the incinerator and was ready to throw in comp cube before GLaDOS even finished her sentence? Silly retextured box.

    I'm not sure if I said this in the other thread, but they should've had two levels of companion cube. The first to make you think comp cube was gonna be your BFF, then once you get attached, bring out the incinerator at the end of the second level while GLaDOS plays a midi violin.

    falsedef on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    halkun wrote: »
    Did anyone else get teary-eyed at the end credits? Sm I just being an emotional fag?

    I actually felt a little sad having to put the companion container in the disposal tube (;_;)

    Hm, the credits made me laugh and killing the companion cube made me pissed off

    bruin on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Many people were hesitant about the companion cube.

    But the end credits? I'm wondering why you were teary eyed there?

    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So how can I hack Counterstrike Source to give me the portal gun.

    Those AWP bitches have it coming.

    4rch3nemy on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »
    Did anyone else get teary-eyed at the end credits? Sm I just being an emotional fag?

    I actually felt a little sad having to put the companion container in the disposal tube (;_;)

    Hm, the credits made me laugh and killing the companion cube made me pissed off

    It depends. How often do you have sex with men?

    More than 50%-60% would suggest gayness...

    But yeah, I was a bit misty, mostly because I was glad to see that GLaDOS was so happy. I always root for the mad scientist. And being both a creation and perpetrator thereof, GLaDOS now joins Durandal in my pantheon of Awesome people. Things.

    Computers.

    AIs.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Many people were hesitant about the companion cube.

    But the end credits? I'm wondering why you were teary eyed there?

    Teary eyed from all the laughter maybe.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    So how can I hack Counterstrike Source to give me the portal gun.

    Those AWP bitches have it coming.
    Um...about that:
    We did not attempt to do this with Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, or Day of Defeat: Source. As fun as it might sound in theory, we would like to dissuade you from trying it as well, as it probably won’t yield any real satisfactory results.

    Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think it was because I totally did not expect it. It didn't help that I *just* made it with seconds to spare. The end credits caught me so off guard. I was all "Well, I'll be damned, I did get
    after all. It looks so moist and delicious!" The song came right out of nowhere.

    halkun on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Many people were hesitant about the companion cube.

    But the end credits? I'm wondering why you were teary eyed there?

    It makes you feel bad about tearing GLaDOS apart and throwing her in a fire, because she's just so happy that you triumphed over all odds!

    It's like, how many villains write a song about how great you are after you kill them?

    And also 2 and a half hours is just enough time to get attached and feel the perfect amount of satisfaction in beating it, especially if you do it in one sitting.

    Fugitive on
This discussion has been closed.