As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Considering a Genesis and possibly the CD attachment. What should I know?

Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
I've been looking into getting a Genesis for some time now, having always regretted selling it as a kid, and subsequently missing out on the little joys of the early CD age.

What I've noticed however is revisions on top of revisions. There seems to be two distinctly different kinds of CD add-ons, one being a sort of deck on which the original system can be placed, and another one more similar to a walkman that seems designed for the revised Genesis. Are all of these pieces mutually exclusive, and are any generally regarded as better or more durable?

For that matter, I can't remember a hell of a lot about how my Genesis interfaced with my TV, but do any of these Genesis versions fail to allow for composite cables?

I'm just generally curious of what I might want to take into consideration before I start throwing money around.

And of course, if anyone has any offers of their own, observe the rules and keep it to PMs.

Original Rufus on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-CDX-System-Genesis-With-Hookups-and-Sega-Cd-Games_W0QQitemZ300162222017QQihZ020QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd go with a CDX. It's all in one piece, compact, and kinda neat lookin.

There is a slot loading and a top loader as well.

EDIT

And yeah, there are composite adapters for the Genesis.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The model 1 Genesis is a little sturdier (and much cooler looking) than the model 2. It's also easier to mod a region switch to and is compatible with the adapter that allows you to play Master System games. Its composite cables only allow for mono sound, so if you want stereo output, you have to hook it up via the headphone jack. The model 2 Genesis lacks a headphone jack but has stereo sound via its composite cables. It will only work with the Master System adapter if you somehow mod the thing to physically fit, IIRC. Don't get a Genesis model 3; it's not compatible with the CD/32X and a few games.

The model 1 and 2 Sega CD are both compatible with either model Genesis, though a model 2 Gen + a model 1 CD will look kind of funky. I'm not sure which is more reliable. I had a model 2 CD that blew a fuse or something and wouldn't power on at all (I later learned that this was fairly common for that model, but not terribly hard to fix). My current model 1 works fine though.

As far as general game recommendations go, there's this poll I ran a little while back that could be of some use.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There is an extender for the Model 2 Sega CD that can attach on the end to make it look more normal under a model 1 Genesis, but I don't know if they still included them late in the system's life(they did at first).

I used to have a model 1, but it died, so I got a model 2(works just fine; the first started giving me issues late in its life).

My model 2 Sega CD is a tank. I bought it from a store, and it's still going.

In my opinion, there's more than enough games for both systems to make them worth getting. But you're going to have to hunt for the best games on both, especially the Sega CD.

It's kind of like the Dreamcast in that there's not a lot of games from one genre, but a little of everything, some of which are stellar.

The Lunar games changed RPGs forever, in my book.

There's also a solid port of the first Monkey Island, and a lot of FMV games. Some of them are awful, but some are fun time-killers(the ones with the most replay value are probably Double Switch and Corpse Killer).

And Night Trap is plain guilty pleasure.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That it's 2007?
    I'm sorry

Magus` on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-CDX-System-Genesis-With-Hookups-and-Sega-Cd-Games_W0QQitemZ300162222017QQihZ020QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd go with a CDX. It's all in one piece, compact, and kinda neat lookin.

There is a slot loading and a top loader as well.

EDIT

And yeah, there are composite adapters for the Genesis.

Holy shit, advice appreciated but can I expect to pay a whole lot less than 99 bucks?

Original Rufus on