As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outlook 2007 vs Thunderbird

SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
With the announcement that 2 of the key members of the Thunderbird project are leaving/gone I am wondering what the future of Thunderbird holds. I am also growing tired of running 2 mail clients, but I am clinging on to something in Thunderbird that I can't live without, Quicktext.

That said, if you were already using Outlook 2007 for work email and had the option of that or Thunderbird for your personal email, what would you go with or are already using? I'm on the fence here and I need a little push to make me move from Thunderbird or stay.

Snowcone on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    Outlook 2007 is pretty great... though a good chunk of it's extended functionality comes from having an exchange server you are pulling from. Even without it is a good client, but Exchange / Outlook integration is the tits.

Given the choice between the two, I would go for Outlook... the new Ribbon interface is just a joy to use, and worlds ahead of the bullshit they have been calling an interface for the past 10 years.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I've got Exchange running here and if I could find a way to run Exchange at home I would. OWA rocks.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I use Thunderbird for IMAP. Outlook is shotty at best at keeping my connections. And, navigating is slow and clunky.

Thunderbird's interface is not anything amazing; but, at least it loads quickly.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Another vote for Outlook 2007, here. For personal email, I use gmail and it's great -- but if you need a full client, Outlook 2007 is fantastic.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Any idea if there is some replacement for QuickText I can use with Outlook 2k7?

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Outlook 2007 is pretty great... though a good chunk of it's extended functionality comes from having an exchange server you are pulling from. Even without it is a good client, but Exchange / Outlook integration is the tits.

Given the choice between the two, I would go for Outlook... the new Ribbon interface is just a joy to use, and worlds ahead of the bullshit they have been calling an interface for the past 10 years.

I have Outlook 2007, and it looks exactly like 2003, no ribbon. What am I doing wrong?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Outlook 2k7 doesn't use Ribbon, but the rest of the suite does.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd say Outlook, but I haven't used TB for a while

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The main reason I use Outlook 2007 is because it came with the rest of Office and I have a habit of doing the "complete" install. In all honesty I probably don't use it to its full effect but I only use it to pull mail off my GMail account and not with Exchange. I really, really like the calendar and planner in Outlook though but I doubt any of that has changed much from 2000 to 2007. And as for Thunderbird, I liked it but could never get used to the way it did some things.

Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    Yeah, I've got Exchange running here and if I could find a way to run Exchange at home I would. OWA rocks.

Well, you can set up HTTPS over RPC to access your work email through Outlook over the Internet, and have your personal email redirect to your account on the Exchange server.

At home I run Thunderbird, at work I run Outlook 2007. Thunderbird is more comparable to Outlook Express, and is perfectly adequate for my home use. At the office, I could not live without the Exchange/Outlook combo.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    With the announcement that 2 of the key members of the Thunderbird project are leaving/gone I am wondering what the future of Thunderbird holds. I am also growing tired of running 2 mail clients, but I am clinging on to something in Thunderbird that I can't live without, Quicktext.

That said, if you were already using Outlook 2007 for work email and had the option of that or Thunderbird for your personal email, what would you go with or are already using? I'm on the fence here and I need a little push to make me move from Thunderbird or stay.
    Those devs aren't gone. They just got different jobs, and are doing TB on the side now. Did you read this blog entry by david ascher.
    I don’t want to sound flippant, but I suspect the biggest difference this month compared to, say, June, is that there’s more talking with people outside of Mozilla about Thunderbird and the exciting possibilities that lay ahead. Many people come to me (the new guy, designated point man, bullseye, lightning rod, etc.) with ideas, plans, resumes, etc. That’s basically “what’s going on”.
    I really don't think it will die. In fact, I expect to see TB become a whole shit load better in the next year, as its growth has been... anemic at best for the past 5.

I do TB+Lightning for most of my stuff here at work, but I'm lucky that no one here really seems to care about using weird collaboration technologies.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007

Sure it does... and as a developer, some of it's potential uses are GREAT.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »

Those devs aren't gone. They just got different jobs, and are doing TB on the side now. Did you read this blog entry by david ascher.
    I don’t want to sound flippant, but I suspect the biggest difference this month compared to, say, June, is that there’s more talking with people outside of Mozilla about Thunderbird and the exciting possibilities that lay ahead. Many people come to me (the new guy, designated point man, bullseye, lightning rod, etc.) with ideas, plans, resumes, etc. That’s basically “what’s going on”.
    I really don't think it will die. In fact, I expect to see TB become a whole shit load better in the next year, as its growth has been... anemic at best for the past 5.

I do TB+Lightning for most of my stuff here at work, but I'm lucky that no one here really seems to care about using weird collaboration technologies.

Thanks. I hadn't heard that. Last I heard was that they were leaving Mozilla and "ohnoes TB is teh doomed" style comments were flying around. I still may drop it in favor of Outlook at this point though.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Let me quantify my previous statement by saying that it may be running Ribbon, but it's displayed as the traditional File, Edit, Etc menu as opposed to the more visual versions in say Word and Excel.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Let me quantify my previous statement by saying that it may be running Ribbon, but it's displayed as the traditional File, Edit, Etc menu as opposed to the more visual versions in say Word and Excel.
    In the core app.

but whenever you compose a message, edit a contact, or schedule an appointment, you get ribbony goodness :)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I only have an IMAP and POP3 account, so Thunderbird works fine for me. Plus switching at this point would be stupid since the junk filter already has all the address collected over the times.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

In the core app.

but whenever you compose a message, edit a contact, or schedule an appointment, you get ribbony goodness :)

Also true. That's due in part to using Word as the editor. Have you done any custom Ribbon development for Outlook 2k7 yet?

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

In the core app.

Also true. That's due in part to using Word as the editor. Have you done any custom Ribbon development for Outlook 2k7 yet?
    Some stuff, yeah.

In the EMR I am developing, I use an outlook based email2fax gateway (GFI Faxmaker) to handle outbound physician notes / prescriptions / etc. (damn medical community not willing to get off the bloody fax system). I use Ribbon XML to give easy access to e-sign scrips and select which physicians you want to send the note to, populated from a SQL view.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually use both at work. On our macs we all run Thunderbird through IMAP.

And on our Windows PCs (or Windows virtual machines) we run Outlook through Exchange. 2007 for the IT guys, 2003 for everyone else.

I have to say I prefer Outlook. But then I also prefer OS X over Windows so...

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    2007 for the IT guys, 2003 for everyone else.

That's how it is here. I don't want to retrain my users on how to use Ribbon. They can just keep using 2003 until the end of time as far as I am concernd.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

That's how it is here. I don't want to retrain my users on how to use Ribbon. They can just keep using 2003 until the end of time as far as I am concernd.

They (M$) actually made it really easy.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102221621033.aspx

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I love outlook 2007. Since my pocket PC is Windows Mobile 6, the integration and mobility is just awesome.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    M$

:facepalm:

20041103h.jpg

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This isn't /. ?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »

They (M$) actually made it really easy.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102221621033.aspx

Nifty. I'm still not upgrading them. :)

Snowcone on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you are not upgrading your users to 2007, you should at least give them the Compatibility Pack.

;-)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png