As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eurogamer: Okami port for Wii. Also, waggleport ruminations ITT

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85578
Capcom has finally confirmed persistent rumours that Okami is coming to Nintendo Wii, telling a London audience this week that the game will arrive on our screens in spring 2008.

Celebrated on PS2 for its absorbing puzzle and action adventure mechanics, gripping narrative inspired by Japanese folklore and beautiful watercolour visuals, its rebirth on Wii has been much hyped.

The game also lends itself rather well to the potential of Nintendo's Wiimote for control. Amaterasu's Celestial Brush - a paintbrush used in combat and for solving puzzles - is a perfect fit for the Wiimote, and so it proves, while combat will also include various "motion-controlled physical attacks".

On the whole though, it's the game that Kristan loved so much it got top marks, calling it "a game so engrossing, so crafted and so life-affirming that nothing else in the world seems to matter". In sentence number two.

I've heard this rumor in the echo chamber of the Internet for so long that I don't know whether to actually believe this or not. Apparently NDAs are beginning to break on the big Capcom event from this week, so the timing makes sense. Eurogamer is credible for this sort of news, isn't it?

Regardless of "lolz ports" or "lolz no games," let's just celebrate the fact that a generally overlooked fan fave like
this is getting a second shot at stardom.

okami.jpg

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on
«1345

Posts

  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OMG using the pointer to paint the things will make this game sooooo much better!

    Yeah, have fun with your PS2 and Gamecube ports.

    Sorry for coming off trollish, I am just sick and fucking tired of everyone saying 'THIS WOULD BE SO GOOD ON THE WII' every time a game involves some sort of motion that COULD MAYBE be translated to waggle controls. Even though there is not, and probably never will be, a game on the Wii that employs 1:1 motion:screen-action controls.



    But yeah, Okami is not a bad game, if you haven't played it yet, might as well get the Wii version. But it isn't as 'zomgsuperawesome' as some make it out to be, imo. Tries too hard to be Zelda, but the pacing is kinda off. Also, it is super easy.

    Noray on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i hated okami

    so much text, boring combat

    pretty art though

    also it wasn't hard to draw with the celestial brush on the ps2 so i don't see why everyone's so "OMG OKAMI ON WII PLS" about it

    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm so drooling over this!

    This should have been the targeted console for this game in the first place.

    Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Yeah, have fun with your PS2 and Gamecube ports.

    Well it sure didn't take long for somebody to shit on this thread.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yesssss I rented it for PS2, but now they're all sold out here, so I'll pick this one up

    Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't think we wanted Okami on the Wii as much as we wanted Okami 2 on the Wii, with all of Okami's weaknesses ironed out.

    jothki on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Isn't the studio that developed the game no longer part of Capcom?

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Isn't the studio that developed the game no longer part of Capcom?

    dissolved

    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gripping narrative? What the buh?

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The rights are all Capcom's, though, so they can do whatever they want with it.

    Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    I've heard this rumor in the echo chamber of the Internet for so long that I don't know whether to actually believe this or not. Apparently NDAs are beginning to break on the big Capcom event from this week, so the timing makes sense. Eurogamer is credible for this sort of news, isn't it?

    This is real thing. MaxiConsolas, respected portuguese gaming magazine*, leaked this on their website day early, and now Capcom has permitted other sites to report about it. Media, pricepoint, release date etc. will be embargoed till tomorrow, like originally planned.

    * Same magazine who leaked NIGHTS: Journey into Dreams few days early

    elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Well it sure didn't take long for somebody to shit on this thread.

    Didn't you know? Bashing Wii raises your "hardcore" status, and gives you free Microsoft points.

    elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    The rights are all Capcom's, though, so they can do whatever they want with it.

    In other words, another RE4 ~> PS2 debacle.

    I don't care about porting stuff to the Wii, it's doing so without the creator's approval I'm not very fond of.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't care about porting stuff to the Wii, it's doing so without the creator's approval I'm not very fond of.

    *shrugs* RE4: Wii Edition was basically done without creator's approval.

    elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, awesome. I haven't played Okami, but I've been on the verge of buying it these past few weeks, and now I'm glad I didn't.

    Still, 2008 is a bit of a stretch.

    Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait for this. I loved Okami on PS2, so much so that I'm looking forward to playing it again.

    Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Finally a game that really did need to be ported to the Wii.

    Not that the PS2 version is bad mind you, but the whole paintbrush system SCREAMS wiimote.

    Transporter on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Noray wrote:
    Sorry for coming off trollish, I am just sick and fucking tired of everyone saying 'THIS WOULD BE SO GOOD ON THE WII' every time a game involves some sort of motion that COULD MAYBE be translated to waggle controls. Even though there is not, and probably never will be, a game on the Wii that employs 1:1 motion:screen-action controls.

    See, the thing is that I was being facetious in my headline. Apparently I needed to add more sarcasm!

    I recognize that far too many people add "OMG THIS IS MADE FOR WII" to games that don't really lend themselves to it -- let's not talk about DK Barrel Blast -- but Okami actually is a perfect fit for it. It's a game that has been easily compared (favorably or unfavorably) to Zelda, which is already on the Wii, and also features painting with a brush as a pretty hefty mechanic. Which really only needs to use the IR pointer, and which pretty much every game uses. Look at Trauma Center, which adapted to the Wii perfectly: Pointing at the screen and poking things/drawing lines.

    I admit that I didn't finish Okami -- sold it off due to not having time for it -- but I spent far too much time drawing crappy circles with the analog stick to make those small bombs. If Capcom uses the same approach that worked for RE4: Wii (another completely fantastic Wii port that felt even better with the controls, and at a budget pricepoint), I'd give it another shot.

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I've been wanting to get this game but hadn't got around to buying it yet due to backlog hell. Perhaps I'll just wait and grab the wii version instead.

    -SPI- on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As long as it's got a budget price, I'm all over it, since I never bought the PS2 Okami.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck yes. <3

    Glal on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    i hated okami

    so much text, boring combat

    pretty art though

    also it wasn't hard to draw with the celestial brush on the ps2 so i don't see why everyone's so "OMG OKAMI ON WII PLS" about it

    I always figured there was a silent "(but with more stuff added)" at the end of that. With the remote they could expand upon the drawing premise. But it takes a leap of faith to believe that they'll put in the effort to expand on the game when they could just port it.

    I haven't played Okami yet so maybe I'll pick it up on the Wii. It's always looked interesting, but my PS2's been on semi-permanent loan to a friend so I just never bothered.

    mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's nice to know Capcom can take chances with a game that didn't sell well.

    Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

    A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm glad Okami is getting another round in the ring, it deserves it. The game nearly passed even my radar, which is something of a testament to its obscene lack of impact. I never even got around to picking it up. Now that its headed for the Wii, I just might.

    Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Awesome! As one of six people on the planet who never owned a PS2, I'm all for improved PS2 ports on the Wii, and I've been wanting to play Okami ever since I saw the first screenshots.

    shyguy on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vert1 wrote: »
    It's nice to know Capcom can take chances with a game that didn't sell well.

    It's a shame they can't do it with their other series, though...
    *coughlegends3cough*

    MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I certainly won't buy it again, but more people playing it is a very good thing. It's not perfect, but I still had way more fun with Okami than I did with Twilight Princess. Looks like the wait for the next Wii Zelda won't be too long after all, heh.

    Darlan on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bigger than their 'Big Three'. To me, that is.

    JihadJesus on
  • Options
    JustinChar99JustinChar99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shyguy wrote: »
    Awesome! As one of six people on the planet who never owned a PS2, I'm all for improved PS2 ports on the Wii, and I've been wanting to play Okami ever since I saw the first screenshots.

    Same here. I wonder who the other four are.

    JustinChar99 on
    blindjustus.gif
    Einhander wrote: »
    I've heard that Usenet is the dark, seething underbelly of the internet, and that the porn you find there isn't the porn you ever, ever want to see.
    226.png
    Pokemon FC: 2749 7579 5931
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Honestly, Okami's the best Zelda game since windwaker.

    Transporter on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shyguy wrote: »
    Awesome! As one of six people on the planet who never owned a PS2, I'm all for improved PS2 ports on the Wii, and I've been wanting to play Okami ever since I saw the first screenshots.

    Same here. I wonder who the other four are.
    I would also be one, hence my excitement over this. Well, that and the fact that I'm a total whore for unique graphical styles in games.

    JihadJesus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YES!

    I've been wanting to play this but didn't want to buy a PS2.

    Thanks Capcom!

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I always wrote off this rumor because Okami was a downright sales disaster for the PS2, both here and in Japan. So I'm a bit shocked this is happening... but happy, though. This is a gem of a game, and the brush techniques are perfect for the Wiimote. Don't think I'll buy this again unless there's tons of new things, though.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is a good move on Capcom's part. For minimal cost, they can port an unsuccessful PS2 game to the Wii, where there is a lack of long single-player adventures and toss a sticker on the front saying "Your Wiimote is a PAINTBRUSH!!!!" and probably recoup some of the losses on publishing Okami in the first place.

    I didn't even like Okami much, and I can see this is a smart move.

    Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okami sales numbers are scarce, but wikipedia has it 200k US and 66k Japan in 2006, which would be the vast majority of sales.

    Such a low target seems almost beatable, but with the 2008 Wii install base its gonna be hard to get the attach ratio up where it would need to be to do so.

    Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Noray wrote:
    Sorry for coming off trollish, I am just sick and fucking tired of everyone saying 'THIS WOULD BE SO GOOD ON THE WII' every time a game involves some sort of motion that COULD MAYBE be translated to waggle controls. Even though there is not, and probably never will be, a game on the Wii that employs 1:1 motion:screen-action controls.

    See, the thing is that I was being facetious in my headline. Apparently I needed to add more sarcasm!

    See I didn't even have the thread title in mind when I made that post. Truth is, all you people going 'Yeah this will be great on the Wii because THE REMOTE IS THE PAINTBRUSH'... man, I just don't get that. It's not going to make it a better game. Are you all really happy with some fancy novelty controls that don't add anything substantial to your game? Really? Well, I guess you're easily pleased then. I interpret this as Wii hype - you're all still raving over it because it's a novelty. Will you still be happy when you get nothing but good first party games and fucking ports in 2-3 years?

    This is just an incredibly lazy port. Normally that shit gets shot down, but because its ZOMG WAGGLE CONTROLS everybody's all over this. I'm calling you hypocrites. Not all of you, but some. You (should) know who you are.

    Noray on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okami sales numbers are scarce, but wikipedia has it 200k US and 66k Japan in 2006, which would be the vast majority of sales.

    Such a low target seems almost beatable, but with the 2008 Wii install base its gonna be hard to get the attach ratio up where it would need to be to do so.

    if it is released at a budget price like RE4: Wii edition and there is some decent advertising for it, I can see it doing well enough.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    Noray wrote:
    Sorry for coming off trollish, I am just sick and fucking tired of everyone saying 'THIS WOULD BE SO GOOD ON THE WII' every time a game involves some sort of motion that COULD MAYBE be translated to waggle controls. Even though there is not, and probably never will be, a game on the Wii that employs 1:1 motion:screen-action controls.

    See, the thing is that I was being facetious in my headline. Apparently I needed to add more sarcasm!

    See I didn't even have the thread title in mind when I made that post. Truth is, all you people going 'Yeah this will be great on the Wii because THE REMOTE IS THE PAINTBRUSH'... man, I just don't get that. It's not going to make it a better game. Are you all really happy with some fancy novelty controls that don't add anything substantial to your game? Really? Well, I guess you're easily pleased then. I interpret this as Wii hype - you're all still raving over it because it's a novelty. Will you still be happy when you get nothing but good first party games and fucking ports in 2-3 years?

    I can draw better with gesture motions (in Rayman) than I can with the stick.

    There ya go.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never had the opportunity to try out Okami on the PS2 so this is great news. Now if only Ico and Shadow of the COlossus make the jump too.....

    Big Classy on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I never had the opportunity to try out Okami on the PS2 so this is great news. Now if only Ico and Shadow of the COlossus make the jump too.....

    If all you want to do on your Wii is play Ps2 games why don't you BUY a fucking PS2 they're like 100 dollars, what the fuck, how can you not own one? There's like a hundred must-have games on it.

    Noray on
Sign In or Register to comment.