As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
I looked for a thread in reference to this and couldn't find one. So if this has already been posted I'm sorry.

from

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181373.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3
Sony: No BC = more PS3 game sales

Exec concedes that missing feature doesn't lower production costs much, explains that being able to play old games discouraged buying new ones.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot Posted Oct 19, 2007 12:11 pm PT

When Sony first announced that it would release a cheaper 40GB PlayStation 3 without backward compatibility for the PlayStation 2, questions were asked as to the reasons why the previously standard feature was taken out.
The company said in a statement that the move reflected "both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive lineup of PS3-specific titles."
The original Japanese and North American PS3 models included the PS2 Emotion Engine chip so they could reliably run older games by using proper PS2 hardware. When Sony released the system in Europe, the company said that the component would be taken out to reduce costs, and the system would handle backward compatibility with software instead, much like the Xbox 360 does.
Speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Jack Tretton shed a little more light on the issue this week. Although the move to software for PS2 backward compatibility was driven by cost concerns, the outright elimination of it was not.
Tretton told the paper that taking support for PS2 games out of the new system isn't dramatically cutting manufacturing costs. However, by omitting the option of playing PS2 games, Sony hopes that new customers will instead spend their money on more PS3 games. He added that Sony's own research suggests that customers won't miss the feature because they probably already own a PS2.

and what I supposed to do when that PS2 dies like all the others PS2s before it?

I have a launch console so I am good for a while with it but it seams for everyone 1 baby step (price drop) Sony takes forward they take 10 giant steps back. (no more BC)

Really WTF

Artoria on

• ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    At this point, the PS3 controllers could possibly catch fire and explode in your hands and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try to spin that as a good thing

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    after all this I still want one. :\

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    well, this seals the deal that I will not be buying a PS3 for a few years.

The main excuse I had to buy one is that I have a stack of PS2 games, but have never owned a PS2 to play them on, having to bum play time on my friends' systems.

At this point, I'm much better off just buying a slim PS2 when they drop to $100, or so, and forgetting about the PS3 entirely.

Evander on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i think we mentioned this topic in the sales thread.

i'm not sure what this news entails but if there isn't a ps3 w/backwards compatability when i finally purchase one (2-3 years from now), i'll be pissed.

Guek on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am speechless. There are simply no words to convey my feelings toward Sony. It was bad enough that they're flooding the market with their *fourth* SKU, but to actually admit this was the reason they stripped BC from their console is beyond remark.

Scosglen on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I predict price drop for PS2.

Eta? Damn quick.

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I am speechless. There are simply no words to convey my feelings toward Sony. It was bad enough that they're flooding the market with their *fourth* SKU, but to actually admit this was the reason they stripped BC from their console is beyond remark.

It is wonderful.

The one time that they are actually honest is the time that they really shouldn't be.

Evander on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Evander wrote: »

It is wonderful.

The one time that they are actually honest is the time that they really shouldn't be.

I've been thinking though, what is the benefit of making a statement like this? What could Sony possibly gain? I think previous statements could be dissected to show some sort of benefit to Sony, but this...

tachyon on
    edited October 2007
    tachyon wrote: »

It is wonderful.

I've been thinking though, what is the benefit of making a statement like this? What could Sony possibly gain? I think previous statements could be dissected to show some sort of benefit to Sony, but this...

Probably because speculation is worse. can Sony afford to put BC in? Is Soyn going to make a VC? Is Sony going to slash the Ps2 price? Is Sony stopping production of Ps2?

Much in the same way bungie just came out and said 640p even though initially it was damaging it ended the speculation and will blow over eventually.

Except when October NPd arrives and Sony has sold 80k or something crazy.

The_Scarab on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The logic here is just hilarious. No one wants to buy a console to play bad games, so they remove pretty much all the good games you can play on it, because people may already own them, to entice people to buy bad games.

Incredible. Good call.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There are more threads floating around about things Sony is doing wrong vs. what they are doing right.

Maybe an Aibo pet raising sim will turn Sony's fortunes around...

emnmnme on
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked Kotaku's take on this:

Instead, the handicapping of the PS3 was part of an effort to "encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system." If only there were some other ways of doing that outside of ripping out the PS3's ability to play PS2 games better than an actual PS2 in so many cases.

God, I just can't think of any. Obviously having better PS3 software won't work. Nor would working more closely with third parties to help them ship their PS3 ports of Xbox 360 titles day and date, feature for feature. I'll admit... I'm stumped!

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I do believe a lolsony is warranted.

Dehumanized on
    edited October 2007
    skate on 360 sold about 5 times as many as the Ps3 version.

Ps3 has good games, noone wants to buy them cause noone wants to buy the system.

I dont care what sony needs to do, PS3 price has to come down. the 40gb should have had BC. then it would have been the definitive version and probably sold a lot.

Why cant Sony just do one thing right. there seems to always be a '...but' to every one of their announcements.

The_Scarab on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    backwards compatibility was Sony's biggest ace. Thousands of games...

and now... gone.

Dareth Ram on
    edited October 2007

It is wonderful.

Honestly, I think they either caught him off guard, or maybe he has seen all of the ridicule that they get for always lying and he thought that they would be better off telling the truth.

The problem being, the time to tell the truth is when you are FIXING a problem, not when you are creating it.

Evander on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, uh, what does this mean for the PS1 download service?

for that matter, could older PS3s even play PS1 discs? Will newer PS3s be able to?

TheSonicRetard on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

for that matter, could older PS3s even play PS1 discs? Will newer PS3s be able to?

If you have a ps3 with the emotion engine I think its 99% of ps1 and 2 library.

Shogun on
    edited October 2007

It is wonderful.

Honestly, I think they either caught him off guard, or maybe he has seen all of the ridicule that they get for always lying and he thought that they would be better off telling the truth.

The problem being, the time to tell the truth is when you are FIXING a problem, not when you are creating it.

I've uncovered the wallstreet journal's secret interview tactic:

"So sony baby, totally, completely not off the record, why'd you remove BC from the PS3?"

TheSonicRetard on
    edited October 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

If you have a ps3 with the emotion engine I think its 99% of ps1 and 2 library.

yeah, but the PS1 emulation was all software - the PS3 doesn't include any of the hardware from the PSX. the PS2 actually had an embedded PSX cpu in it. So... do the software PS2 BC PS3s have PSX BC?

TheSonicRetard on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ...PS2 BC PS3s have PSX BC?

I can't beleive I just read, and fully understood these words in this order.

LewieP on
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    ...PS2 BC PS3s have PSX BC?

I can't beleive I just read, and fully understood these words in this order.

yeah, I thought the same thing when I typed it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This is Bull Shit! That was the excuse I have been giving myself for months now. Buy a PS3, play my old games until things get better, and better games come out. I used to hate XBOX, and LOVE PS!! Now, I am thinking of just getting a 360. I have played one many times, and really have no complaints about it. OMG NO BC? WTF? It's really unfortunate to me, I thought all the hate talk on Sony was just going to settle down, and they would pull it all together in an astonishing comeback. Hard to say what to believe now. Maybe I should question my own existence...nah. :P

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Erm, lol Sony?

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We'll buy new games when you get some fucking games for us to buy.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, Nintendo had to go through this in the cartridge era. No BC = gamers having no incentive to stay with you = those same gamers defecting to the competition. And we all laughed at Nintendo for it.

EDIT: For example, Narket up there. Sony, look at Narket. You are about to see a lot of people follow his lead.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Man, Nintendo had to go through this in the cartridge era. No BC = gamers having no incentive to stay with you = those same gamers defecting to the competition. And we all laughed at Nintendo for it.

BC didn't become a trend at all until the PS2 though.

Also, the GBA used carts and was BC...

Zek on
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »

actually, nintendo broke the trend of BC. Prior to the SNES, all game consoles had been BC with their previous systems.

the Saturn was originally going to be BC with the genesis, 32X, and Sega CD, but plans were dropped. The only consoles in history which aren't BC (but by all means should have been) are the SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, GCN, and now apparently the PS3.

Although, I have to admit, BC has never been a big factor for me. I was honestly surprised when it was so highly touted for the PS2.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This move makes no sense. Sony's library of games is their biggest advantage, and they took the correct course regarding backward compatibility (at least they did) where Microsoft did not.

Cutting the PS3 off from the huge library of PS2 and PSX games is yet another reason why not to buy one.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • AbabyatemydingoAbabyatemydingo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, Sony has just swayed my hand. I have been caught in the PS3/360 dilemma for a few months as I saved my nickels and dimes to purchase a new system. I had planned on getting a PS3 as my old PS2s no longer function and I figure I could play them until some more decent game scame out for the PS3. But it looks like I'm getting a 360. Way to go Sony.....Smooth move, ex-lax.

Ababyatemydingo on
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason"
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The PS2 continues to be leading the "console war".

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and I guess the jaguar wasn't BC, but I don't think anyone expect it to be.

To be clear, the following systems WERE BC:

Colecovision (2600)
    intellivision (2600)
    atari 5200
    atari 7800
    Sega Master System
    Sega Genesis
    Turbo Duo

a pretty solid tradition of BC, broken by the SNES.

EDIT: And since:

32X
    Gameboy Advance
    Ninendo DS
    Playstation 2
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PS3

TheSonicRetard on
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    just write an emulator like they did for the PSX->PSP stuff and be done with it.

TheMorningStar on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The reasoning is this: sure, they're making money of the PS2 now, but it'll die off eventually and cut off our money flow. In the meantime, we really, really need to get people in the habit of buying PS3 games NOW or it'll be even tougher later on.

This reasoning falls apart when you realize that this only applies to people who have already bought a PS3, and won't exactly encourage people to buy the system. Meanwhile, people who HAVE bought the system even with BC will be perfectly happy to buy a PS3 game if it's, y'know, GOOD.

The fact that a mainstream hit like skate has sold five times more on the 360 than the PS3 shows you what kind of trouble Sony's in.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait, the Genesis was BC with the Master System?

Also, Sony logic here is amazing. Did they just call anyone who plays Xbox games on a 360 silly? Are they insinuating that Gamecube games and the Virtual Console (which has pushed millions of downloads now) is a waste of time?

When they say something this far detached from the market reality you can't even say "lol Sony". You just have to sigh.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

actually, nintendo broke the trend of BC. Prior to the SNES, all game consoles had been BC with their previous systems.

the Saturn was originally going to be BC with the genesis, 32X, and Sega CD, but plans were dropped. The only consoles in history which aren't BC (but by all means should have been) are the SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, GCN, and now apparently the PS3.

Although, I have to admit, BC has never been a big factor for me. I was honestly surprised when it was so highly touted for the PS2.

Wait, I thought the Saturn was BC. My Saturn has a place to put Genesis games in it. I mean, I guess that's "sort of" BC. Maybe not.

Edit: What's a Master System?? Maybe that's what i have. I have no clue, and I am now confused.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I am more confused than anything.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited October 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The reasoning is this: sure, they're making money of the PS2 now, but it'll die off eventually and cut off our money flow. In the meantime, we really, really need to get people in the habit of buying PS3 games NOW or it'll be even tougher later on.

This reasoning falls apart when you realize that this only applies to people who have already bought a PS3, and won't exactly encourage people to buy the system. Meanwhile, people who HAVE bought the system even with BC will be perfectly happy to buy a PS3 game if it's, y'know, GOOD.

The fact that a mainstream hit like skate has sold five times more on the 360 than the PS3 shows you what kind of trouble Sony's in.

Actually, history shows that continued support of the previous format IS the best way to go. Case in point - the turbo Duo, probably the smoothest, most successful add-on transition ever. Or the change from PSX to PS2. Or from GCN to Wii. It's just a good idea to support the previous system because you can still draw revenue from the previous system. I mean, in this thread alone - look how many people were seriously considering a PS3 because they wanted a next-gen console and they had missed out on the previous gen.

This is a baffling, and stupid move.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm out as well. My plan was the same as Narket's; buy a system and play my old games until the shitness blows over.

But even beyond that, my ps2 isn't going to last forever. How do they expect people to play their old games down the line? Or....are new games automatically better than old ones?

Sprocket Floss on
    edited October 2007
    Narket wrote: »

Wait, I thought the Saturn was BC. My Saturn has a place to put Genesis games in it. I mean, I guess that's "sort of" BC. Maybe not.

Edit: What's a Master System?? Maybe that's what i have. I have no clue, and I am now confused.

the saturn is not BC. the cart slot on the saturn is shaped differently from a genesis cart (although, oddly enough, it is shaped like an SMS cart). It's used for saving games, additional ram for games like King of fighter 96 or Street fighter vs Xmen (which provided for loadless gameplay as well as arcade perfect ports, unlike PSX versions), or gamecheat devices like a pro-action replay or gameshark.

The master system is sega's 8-bit video game console. The one that came out before the Genesis. the one that competed against the NES.

TheSonicRetard on