As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You got boost power! F-Zero GX appreciation thread

DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
So, being in a tight spot with money right now, I've been mostly playing the games I've bought and never gotten around to finishing. I picked up F-Zero GX back when I got my Gamecube, on the recommendation of some people here, and never really played it much until this week, largely because my girlfriend preferred the less frentic pace of Mario Kart. But now that she's been stealing my DS to play Zelda on a regular basis, I've taken the opportunity to give the game another shot.

051303_fzero_ss-04-s.jpg

F-Zero GX is a game where you hurtle around a curvy track that often has no guardrails in a rocket-powered car hovercraft thing at speeds in excess of a thousand miles per hour. That's really all there is to it. There are twenty-six tracks, although you only start with fifteen, and they are all gorgeous. This game was probably one of the best looking on the Gamecube, right up there with RE4, and it still holds up pretty well as long as your TV doesn't fuck up when upscaling 480p. There's no anti-aliasing, but once things get moving you don't really notice.

Anyway, I finally sat down and started seriously trying to get past the (absurdly high) difficulty and just unlocked Diamond Cup for the first time today. It was really very satisfying. Anyone with a Gamecube (or Wii) would really do well to pick this up; I mean, it can't be more than $10 or $12 at EBStop nowadays.

Daedalus on

• Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Great game. It may not have launched on my birthday like RE4 but damn. I've unlocked all the secret characters and got the AX courses. That sounds impressive but I also won an F-Zero GX hat, F-Zero GX shirt, and a black memory card when EB Games held a contest for the game.

I was just talking with Rasa about how insane a water level would look if it was in this game. Apparently there's this Fatal Intertia game...

I'm gonna link you to this crazy video where some guy does this technique (I found out about it on my own) to put snaking to shame.Craziest shit I have ever seen

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    One thing I've noticed is that the story is far more difficult than the actual Grand Prix cups. What the hell?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I actually beat all of Story Mode on very hard way before I unlocked the AX cups. I still can remember playing that damn "get the fuck out it gon blow" stage from 9 PM-5 AM, not beating it, and then picking up the game later that night to beat it in 30 minutes.

edit: lol. I was scrolling up and it looked like the Blue Falcon had a falcon hand attachment. Falcon Punch 3000 km/h drive bys mmm mmm....

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually beat all of Story Mode on very hard way before I unlocked the AX cups. I still can remember playing that damn "get the fuck out it gon blow" stage from 9 PM-5 AM, not beating it, and then picking up the game later that night to beat it in 30 minutes.

edit: lol. I was scrolling up and it looked like the Blue Falcon had a falcon hand attachment. Falcon Punch 3000 km/h drive bys mmm mmm....

Hold on! You can actually beat the story mode on very hard? I didn't think it was possible. I'm still stuck on that damn tournament race with Black Bull. However this game is rad, and I'm glad I bought it. It feels great to blast through the tracks at crazy speeds.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Third favourite game ever. The Story Mode Credits theme is so epic, especially so after going through all the stages on very hard. Racing the staff ghost on the rainbow road-a-like track is just so cool, all "BOOST BOOST BOOOOOOOST" right at the end.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, this is definitely one of my favourite racers of all time. The cups were great, and story-mode was so sadistic it was wonderful.

What I especially liked about the cups was that, unlike in Mario Kart, you wouldn't have the exact same racers finishing in the top 3 all the time, so even if you did badly in one race, you could still catch up. And knocking other racers off the track permanently killing them for that entire race - awesome.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Best racing game ever. Right here.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    The Story Mode Credits theme is so epic,.
    "Three cheers for the Falcon."

I wouldn't know about epic, but it's certainly memorable.

But yeah, F-Zero GX is pretty much my favourite futuristic racing game. If there's a sequel for the Wii, I'd be happy if it was almost as good. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Best racing game ever. Right here.

You daaaaamn right.

God, such good memories. I need to get another copy so I can play it with my girlfriend.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    F-Zero GX is basically what every other racing game aspires to be.

Fantastic control
    Countless characters who all handle slightly differently
    Awesome Tracks
    A fantastic, awesome, incredibly difficult, yet fair single player campaign
    Tons of customizability.
    No goddamn motherfucking rubberbanding.

It's perfect.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've only played this every once in a while except for the last week or so when I started Story mode. I've gotten through it all on Normal and the first two chapters on Hard. I've come close on beating the third chapter, but I'm still not quite good enough yet.

As for Grand Prix, I've gotten through Novice and Standard without problems. Haven't touched Expert yet. I think I'll be getting to that soon enough.

The entire time, I've been using good ol' Captain Falcon. It's all I needed for F-Zero X on the N64, so I wonder if I can do it again on GX. But if I need more speed, I've got the Frost Lynx G4 and the Super Horse Z ready to go as well.

I wish I had others around me that would play this game as well, but every time a Cube or Wii gets hooked up, "You know what" gets played for hours instead like it's the only game it can ever play.....until February 10. (sigh)

And this needs to be linked for no real reason beyond the awesomeness it contains.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is the only racing game besides Gran Turismo (original) that I ever got into. And holy crap did I get into it.

I haven't played it in three years, but I still, to this day, randomly yell "YOU'VE got BOOST POWAH!" for no reason. Awesome. Game.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for reminding me how I basically unlocked jack shit in this game. No extra cups, no special parts, just a small handful of shitty crafts. This game murders my psyche.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Remember the Create a Car thing? Holy shit that was fun. Don't fuck with a car that has a flaming Yoshi skull on it.

RCagent on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RCagent wrote: »
    Remember the Create a Car thing? Holy shit that was fun. Don't fuck with a car that has a flaming Yoshi skull on it.

I wish I could recreate my Mario Kart DS decal for this game. I either lack artistic talent, or the game just won't let me to a full conversion.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ALLRIGHT, FIRST PLACE

Some of the WR videos for this game are sickening. Downright sickening.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The arcade version blew my mind this year. It has a seatbelt, and it tosses you the fuck around. Amazing sense of speed and motion. And it even takes Gamecube memory cards for people that want to use their own cars.

Saddler on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game was great. What was that level, where you had to race through an exploding tunnel (something like that)? It was perfectly straight, you just had to dodge columns and navigate through the doors. I still haven't beat it, it was so damn hard on the highest difficulty.

Did anyone else find that when the announcer said "Retired!" it sounded like "retard" ? Maybe it's just the US accent.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is by far the best racing game I've ever played. This thread makes me wish I had brought the game up here...

Beat all cups on Master and beat every Story Mode on Very Hard... except for Chapter 7. Fuck it.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    The arcade version blew my mind this year. It has a seatbelt, and it tosses you the fuck around. Amazing sense of speed and motion. And it even takes Gamecube memory cards for people that want to use their own cars.

Ya, I loved running port town(uncertain, it was a few years ago) in the AX-machine. Actually.. I wasn't half bad at winning once I got a feel of the track. Its a huge GIGANTIC shame that I have not bought F-zero GX. Man.. I'll have to do that.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fucking Fantastic game, still looks and sounds superb.

I managed to unlock the AX courses on the home version, after finding an AX cabinate in Durham, but my (3rd party) memory card didn't fit in it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »
    F-Zero GX is basically what every other racing game aspires to be.

Fantastic control
    Countless characters who all handle slightly differently
    Awesome Tracks
    A fantastic, awesome, incredibly difficult, yet fair single player campaign
    Tons of customizability.
    No goddamn motherfucking rubberbanding.

It's perfect.

I'm looking to pick this game up on the cheap, because I've heard good things about it. I'm not very good at racing games, and I know this one is hard (hard), but maybe it'll make me better. I think I'm not very good because I don't play racing games very often. The thing that turns me off about racing games, even more simple racers like the Mario Kart series, is rubber-band AI. Does this game truly not have rubber-banding?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The thing that turns me off about racing games, even more simple racers like the Mario Kart series, is rubber-band AI. Does this game truly not have rubber-banding?
    From what I can tell, it really doesn't.

As evidence for this, I'll point to the fact that I've managed to finish races (on Easy and Normal, I admit) where I finished well over 30 seconds before the number 2.

Story Mode does have one (maybe two) exception(s), but that's because it's... well... Story Mode.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The thing that turns me off about racing games, even more simple racers like the Mario Kart series, is rubber-band AI. Does this game truly not have rubber-banding?

As evidence for this, I'll point to the fact that I've managed to finish races (on Easy and Normal, I admit) where I finished well over 30 seconds before the number 2.

Story Mode does have one (maybe two) exception(s), but that's because it's... well... Story Mode.

I believe this is accurate.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

I seem to remember Black Shadow rubber-banding like fuck in story mode, but then that's just one character on the higher difficulty levels of a few specific missions in one mode of play.

Aside from that, if there is rubber-banding in the rest of the game it's so slight it's unnoticeable.

Mitten on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really like the AX tracks, too.

I'm just glad you can unlock them without finding an AX arcade machine, since there are apparently only 2 and a half per continent.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man, I used to be awesome in this game. Beat all of the story mode missions on Very hard, think the part I beat last was the race against Black Shadow. Also hint if you want to make beating it easier:
    He is behind you at the start, so if you tackle in the right moment you can actually knock him out then. Makes it alot easier.

Also, Sonic Phantom is an awesome veichle. When I got the AX course I beat it on all difficulties in a row.

Luiane on
    Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it's pretty much the best racer ever, just about. I still need to beat the very last story mode race on very hard, but other than that I unlocked everything.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I own this game, I enjoy this game, but man I SUCK at it.. :(

I went through story mode on easy (normal? I can't remember what the difficulties were) but that was about it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Also, what's nice is the placement isn't rigged. In Mario Kart or whatever, the CPU guy who finishes in 1st will always finish in 1st, unless you beat him in which case he comes in second. In F-Zero GX, everyone has an equal shot, so you can actually recover from coming in, say, 15th in one race.

(this, again, does not apply to story mode)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Also, what's nice is the placement isn't rigged. In Mario Kart or whatever, the CPU guy who finishes in 1st will always finish in 1st, unless you beat him in which case he comes in second. In F-Zero GX, everyone has an equal shot, so you can actually recover from coming in, say, 15th in one race.

(this, again, does not apply to story mode)

On the last GP on master difficulty, I really struggled. I was good at the first 3 tracks, but not at last 2. I only was able to complete it by spending the entire time on the third track taking out anyone else in the top ten so far.

LewieP on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When I get home from university, me and my brother are going to fight to the death about what's the better game between this and Burnout 3.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bought this for $6 at Gamestop, when home, popped it in my Wii, then lost like nine times in a row on the second level and never played again

bruin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Goroh can get pinned underneath a boulder in Stage 2. =)

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I bought this for $6 at Gamestop, when home, popped it in my Wii, then lost like nine times in a row on the second level and never played again
    That's because you're confusing Story Mode with a Tutorial.

It's not.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Okay, so I'm starting to play Diamond Cup now and ho-lee shit, they really don't fuck around, do they? Every one of these tracks is harder than the last. First we get Trident, where you need to stay on one of three razor-thin tracks, then we get Lateral Shift, where you need to quickly do 90 degree turns with no guardrails, then we get Undulation, etc. etc.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game is very hard.

august on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    That's because you're confusing Story Mode with a Tutorial.

It's not.

There is Tutorial and then there is Punishment from God.

august on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never beat Diamond on Master, it was my great failing =/

Got like 2nd one time, I wanted to scream. Me and my roomate did the Story Mode tag team style, got through it all and actually beat a few of them on hard/very hard.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i wish you could select the music during the actual race, i mean, they let you do it in replays but not in the actual game wtf?

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png