As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hellgate†London: It's out. Why aren't you playing it?

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow... the Oracle/314 stuff just rules. :lol: Finished Chocolate Park and wow. Just rules. Hope they're in it for a while.

Aoi on
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    coutts wrote: »
    Shulgoth is up with the Fawkes patch.

Someone with an Engineer quick test the Drone bug, see if it actually works this time!

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Wow... the Oracle/314 stuff just rules. :lol: Finished Chocolate Park and wow. Just rules. Hope they're in it for a while.

Yeah I really enjoyed that part. God I want to be home playing instead of stuck at work for another 6 hours. Torture.

corin7 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »

Yeah I really enjoyed that part. God I want to be home playing instead of stuck at work for another 6 hours. Torture.
    Just realizing that the oracle was actually stuck to his face was funny as hell the first time I got real close and saw it, not to mention the dialog and some of the quest names are gold.

Aoi on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My download should be finished when I get off work today so the demon slaying will commence, however one thing is worrying me. It seems people are blowing through the game at an epic rate. Faster than anything I can remember about people finishing D2 when it first came out, just a finish through Normal not Nightmare or Hell. Is the game that much shorter? I read about there being no difficulty above Nightmare at the moment and that Elite Mode is it's own mode although harder not showing any difference in drops and lewtz, course no one is on Nightmare while Elite that I know of so the change might be there.

I'm just worried too many people are blowing through what's there so far and they'll have nothing left to do besides farm and do the mini events, and players/subs will fall before the content actually starts ranking in.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Started over as Blademaster named Wormwood. Level 3 right now, about to leave the first station. Yell if someone wants to party up.

Echo on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The way I remember it, people were leveling to 30, a third of their max level, in as little as 2 or 3 days. I've been playing a lot, and after 5 days, I'm only just now at 17, or about a third of max level. Meanwhile, in Diablo, you were done with the normal difficulty of the game by what, 20 or 25? I think things are noticeable slower in this game.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    The way I remember it, people were leveling to 30, a third of their max level, in as little as 2 or 3 days. I've been playing a lot, and after 5 days, I'm only just now at 17, or about a third of max level. Meanwhile, in Diablo, you were done with the normal difficulty of the game by what, 20 or 25? I think things are noticeable slower in this game.

Yeah and many of the people blowing through the game this fast played a lot during beta. I have put in probably about 10 - 12 hours am level 13 and still in act 2. The game seems reasonably sized, especially considering how much replay most people are going to get out of it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My download should be finished when I get off work today so the demon slaying will commence, however one thing is worrying me. It seems people are blowing through the game at an epic rate. Faster than anything I can remember about people finishing D2 when it first came out, just a finish through Normal not Nightmare or Hell. Is the game that much shorter? I read about there being no difficulty above Nightmare at the moment and that Elite Mode is it's own mode although harder not showing any difference in drops and lewtz, course no one is on Nightmare while Elite that I know of so the change might be there.

I'm just worried too many people are blowing through what's there so far and they'll have nothing left to do besides farm and do the mini events, and players/subs will fall before the content actually starts ranking in.

This game is probably longer than Diablo II. I beat it saturday night/sunday morning and I had been playing since since Tuesday. Act 4 takes forever I wouldn't have been able to beat it so quickly if Seri3l, Ash, Devoir and I hadn't beat it in one massive play session.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Yeah. My main's just shy of level 23 in Act 4, and I'm trying really hard to catch up to Dev and them for five-man Act 5 and Nightmare.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    is dual wielding good in this game? i usually stick with sword and shield for my melee guys, just out of habit i guess.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well for refence my fiance and myself picked up the game on wednesday had the next 4 days off and we just got to level 30 last night after constantly playing for those 4 days.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    is dual wielding good in this game? i usually stick with sword and shield for my melee guys, just out of habit i guess.

Depends on the class, for the blademaster you should be going dual wield that's where your power comes from, though I believe you have to be a blademaster to dual wield.

As a marksman variety of guns is your strength. I personally have all 3 weapon slots with different guns depending on the situation. At level 14 I have an arclight combustion rifel (I love this gun) as my go to things are medium to close range driller. At a distance I have a sniper rifle with a couple mods to hit things and make them pay, and for up close swarms a machine pistol grenade launcher dual wield badness.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You also have to remember that in Diablo 2 the max level was 100, and on this game it's 50. And it really does feel like you level half as fast as Diablo 2.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hah. Got a unique sniper rifle off Bag O' Bones: Arashi Spider-Shot or something.

...so why did they remove the screenshot function from the retail client? :x

Echo on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so, advice from a 31+ summoner (apparently noone plays them at all, I constantly get "holy shit we have a summoner in the guild?)

First off, more then half your skills will just not work from time to time, at all, or are bugged and do something else. Any bonus for minions, be it armor or damage, do nothing at all. currently not working. + health% works, but to me who wore nothing but minion health/damage/armor+% for 25 levels, the health dosent look to be adding correctly.

Skills:

Carnigor is awesome tank, skills dont work sometimes

the next deamon that can heal, his skills are broken beyond first point for beams, so I wouldnt bother unless this is your build (lots of melee critters, this deamon, and elemental nova)

Warper(Nuker?) I didnt use him at all ever

Reaper? walking death machine theres no cooldown right now for him, so you can keep him out. However you cant have a regular deamon out. delayed cast for him really blows too, and makes it hard to use, becuase by the time you cast him, the fights over, if you cast too early, your left behind the crowd, the deamon only lasts for 20 seconds and you have to catch up to the fight.
    However, the warper is being patched today so that it does have the cooldown, BUT you can have it out in addition to your minion. Its still a 1 point wonder.

minions? spectral is required Id say in any build, they really tear stuff up.
    I have not tried storm elementals, because they seem way to specific. All the minions are good though, the balance is up to you.

Blink? its useless, take the death or your never in harm anyways (for pve anyways)

I picked up the curse for the health drain when you hit an enemy, its bugged at the moment with no fix in sight. its essentially gimped and maybe 1-2 hits total will give health per mob

For those who think lvl 30-35 = elemental summoning focus so you get 50% off elemental costs, think again, you can only put a point in this skill EVERY FIVE LEVELS AFTER 30. I think this is a travesty, and at most it should be every 2 levels if not every level.

30 is essentially your brick wall for summoning, becuase most points would go into fleshing out the army, but without the ability to make the minions cheaper, they only get more expensive and the costs of the army dont outweigh your gear ramping up.

Weapons I find the machine pistols with toxic splash to be most effective, when mobs group up, you shred them easily, and they offer +skills that are necessary.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Unique weapons are very cool, I got a shenks shank and that was a great unique nightblade for a long time. Currently on my blademaster I use a Haluan (sp forget) blade which is a unique odachi that thing is pimp. Also have a jagged edge which is basically a chainsaw sword (the swords blades vibrate).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So in my single-player game (since I was without intertubes over the weekend) I got not one but two legendary Smiter swords off some named quest boss. One of them was unique: Iron Mind. It can mind control enemies for three seconds on a hit, making them punch demon face for goodness!

However, the MC fucking sucked. Sure, it was nifty, but it interfered 100% with my normal skills as a blademaster. Surge of Restoration is my bread and butter and I must keep it up at all times since a group of enemies chew me down real fast. But if the killing blow also procs the MC, I don't get any Surge charge from it. So I could frequently charge into a mob and do my thing and walk out of there with zero charges up.

That sword is now gathering dust in my stash.

Echo on
  • Options
    FeintFeint Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so, advice from a 31+ summoner (apparently noone plays them at all, I constantly get "holy shit we have a summoner in the guild?)

First off, more then half your skills will just not work from time to time, at all, or are bugged and do something else. Any bonus for minions, be it armor or damage, do nothing at all. currently not working. + health% works, but to me who wore nothing but minion health/damage/armor+% for 25 levels, the health dosent look to be adding correctly.

Skills:

the next deamon that can heal, his skills are broken beyond first point for beams, so I wouldnt bother unless this is your build (lots of melee critters, this deamon, and elemental nova)

Reaper? walking death machine theres no cooldown right now for him, so you can keep him out. However you cant have a regular deamon out. delayed cast for him really blows too, and makes it hard to use, becuase by the time you cast him, the fights over, if you cast too early, your left behind the crowd, the deamon only lasts for 20 seconds and you have to catch up to the fight.
    However, the warper is being patched today so that it does have the cooldown, BUT you can have it out in addition to your minion. Its still a 1 point wonder.

I have not tried storm elementals, because they seem way to specific. All the minions are good though, the balance is up to you.

Blink? its useless, take the death or your never in harm anyways (for pve anyways)

I picked up the curse for the health drain when you hit an enemy, its bugged at the moment with no fix in sight. its essentially gimped and maybe 1-2 hits total will give health per mob

For those who think lvl 30-35 = elemental summoning focus so you get 50% off elemental costs, think again, you can only put a point in this skill EVERY FIVE LEVELS AFTER 30. I think this is a travesty, and at most it should be every 2 levels if not every level.

30 is essentially your brick wall for summoning, becuase most points would go into fleshing out the army, but without the ability to make the minions cheaper, they only get more expensive and the costs of the army dont outweigh your gear ramping up.

Weapons I find the machine pistols with toxic splash to be most effective, when mobs group up, you shred them easily, and they offer +skills that are necessary.

Thanks for this. Another interesting tidbit about Reaper is that the actual mana cost (for me anyway) is not what's said on the tooltip. I think it says it costs 140 mana or whatever to summon, but actually you can summon it with like 10 mana if you mana pool is full. Basically you can tap your pool out entirely with elementals and still summon the reaper so long as you have a full pool.

That, along with the lack to 5 minute cooldown, makes him the most broken game mechanic to date. He's literally unkillable in the time you have him out, and he one-shots everything but named creatues (sometimes named ones too)

Feint on
    fixedsig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I heard the Mc items are annoying more then anything.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never played these instance based multiplayer games before.

I have a few noob type questions I'm hoping one of you guys can put to rest. How do I reset an Instance, so I can kick the crap out of Shulgoth multiple times. Is there something like Diablo II's stash, where I can store all these upgrade and reciple components rather then hauling them around with me?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Feint wrote: »

Skills:

Thanks for this. Another interesting tidbit about Reaper is that the actual mana cost (for me anyway) is not what's said on the tooltip. I think it says it costs 140 mana or whatever to summon, but actually you can summon it with like 10 mana if you mana pool is full. Basically you can tap your pool out entirely with elementals and still summon the reaper so long as you have a full pool.

That, along with the lack to 5 minute cooldown, makes him the most broken game mechanic to date. He's literally unkillable in the time you have him out, and he one-shots everything but named creatues (sometimes named ones too)

My current summoner is only level 15, but i played one in the beta too, really the only things I have to add is if your planning on grouping, a carnigor is pretty useless unless you plan on going meatshield + mass AOE"s. The warper is perhaps my favorite minion, he does insane damage, but has no hitpoints so expect to resummon him alot. And even with hand of nostrum bugged, if you pop a few points into witch doctor he can heal at a great rate, so centering a build around him isn't necessarily a bad idea + if they ever fix nostrum chances are he'll make you virtually unstoppable.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've never played these instance based multiplayer games before.

I have a few noob type questions I'm hoping one of you guys can put to rest. How do I reset an Instance, so I can kick the crap out of Shulgoth multiple times. Is there something like Diablo II's stash, where I can store all these upgrade and reciple components rather then hauling them around with me?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

I believe if you exit and login in again the instances reset, though farming a boss is very boring when you could be seeing new content, and some bosses are only available while you do the quests they are associated with. There is a stash at all train stations there are some little storage units they work as your stash.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, Puckle the summoner has been retired, I just didn't like how it was playing and i couldn't make the math work out well for summoning an unstoppable army of darkness. I've started up a Marksman and am having fun sniping things farther away than I have my draw distance. Honestly my most effective weapon is an Auto Rifle, decent range, great RoF, and I can normally kill anything before it gets to me. I really like how the effectiveness of it works best with quick 5-7 round bursts. Third weapon switch is a rocket pistol and grenade launcher for AoE in your face goodness. They get kind of silly when ricochet triggers *grin*. Only problem spot I've had so far was shulgoth and the emperors. And the reason I had problems with the Emp squad was that I kept getting stuck on things as I was running backwards. And I tend not to live long when he gets up close and personal with me. And even less long when two of him do so.

All in all I am having more fun as a marksman... but I really miss being able to shoot bees.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Hah. Got a unique sniper rifle off Bag O' Bones: Arashi Spider-Shot or something.

...so why did they remove the screenshot function from the retail client? :x

Hit Printscreen... And it should be in your document's folder, under My Games or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish I'd specced Aura of Renewal now and gone the Gun Guardian route. I guess it's a grass is greener on the other side symptom. (The reason is with the PoH nerf, AoR is the only real way to defeat poison, while Aura of Defense is a bit gimped in that some stuff, esp. ranged, ignores damage reduction). Also only 4 points to max out Aura of Deflection is hot (and another point will make it 90% chance I've heard, wonder if 2 points removes all projectiles)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any chance a respec option will be added to the game?

I'm looking at my Summoner build, that I'm really only running with friends, and thinking I might want to reroll before I get too high and focus less on the Carnigor. I've put five points into him so far. I like him but my team is an Engineer and Blademaster, so an Evoker might be better anyway. I do like pets, though.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well aside from buying anti poison items?

The one thing I had to learn about a marksman is that you need to really keep different sets of guns to be effective. As a blademaster you get a couple good swords and that's your deal roll with those bad boys until you upgrade. As a marks you need to have some range, some up close medium, and some aoe. It make for an interesting play.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What this game needs is a pair of .454 casuals for the marksman, and then a big red hat.

One thing I hate about the blademaster is the helm variety lacks at least so far, I have seen a lot of cool defender helms but the same similar bm helms.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Honestly, I don't think they play tested nightmare at all. The disparity between guardians and other classes is notable in normal, but it's absolutely sickening in nightmare.

Also, here's what the nightmare crafters offer:

wtfmp0.jpg

For anyone who doesn't notice the problems:
    A) they're all white
    B) those mods are equivalent to the shit you find around level 4
    C) those mods require level 60-70 equipment
    D) it's like this every time, sometimes with the odd blue or green

...and for good measure, a borked, impassible map.

wtf2cx7.jpg

Anyways, fuck nightmare. Crafters are broken, game borders on impossible to solo*, and is even worse in a group (unless you're with a guardian), and it needs a shitload more testing.

*We're talking after Covent Garden... the stuff in Holborn's very easy.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And this is why you should not buy games that are actually still in beta.

Thanks for trying though, Flagship. Maybe you'll be finished next year.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wait. The game borders on impossible to solo after Covent Garden? That's funny, because my BM isn't having any problems at all in Temple Station.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Urahonky What level are you? You do know S3rial is talking about nightmare mode right?

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Honky I believe he meant in elite mode the other difficulty after you complete the game normally. And Klykka that post was borderline trolling, you already said you don't want to own the game why do you continue to post here?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I've been very surprised at just how incomplete the game is. I actually can't remember playing a PC game at release that was this buggy(but then, I don't play many pc games, and fewer that are so online oriented).

Of course, it doesn't stop me from having a blast with the game, but it does make me worry that my fun will fizzle out quickly if the patches don't roll out soon.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Urahonky What level are you? You do know S3rial is talking about nightmare mode right?

I'm level 48....

.... Okay terrible lie. 20. But I'm glad the game forces you to group in Nightmare (which I didn't even connect two and two together because I R NOOB), because the game is a hell of a lot better in groups.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm level 48....

.... Okay terrible lie. 20. But I'm glad the game forces you to group in Nightmare (which I didn't even connect two and two together because I R NOOB), because the game is a hell of a lot better in groups.

This would be a bad thing, as I don't want to group unless it's with friends, nor do I want to wait for said friends to log on and/or be the same level as me.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I'm level 48....

This would be a bad thing, as I don't want to group unless it's with friends, nor do I want to wait for said friends to log on and/or be the same level as me.

Which is why I'm trying to haul ass through the levels (unfortunately I had to remake a char to help my friend catch up), and keep myself in the game so that I can level with anyone who needs some help. I'm keeping myself group oriented for a reason. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The game is just trying to teach you a lesson:

You should've been a guardian :V

Lemming on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm level 48....

Yes, because you enjoy grouping, all players should always have to be in a group in nightmare. That's a perfectly rational thing to say.

And the thing is, you don't need to group. You need a fucking miracle, or to be/group with a guardian.

Guardians plow through it with no trouble at all.

Case in point: I zone into Leicester Square, on the way to Charing Cross. Immediately (that is, within aggro range) of the teleporter are 18 bruisers. Any single one of them can one-shot you. There's no room to maneuver, and their AoE attack has about a 100% chance to stun. As an engineer, the only way I could get through it was to repeatedly suicide run with Shock and Awe. Took me about 15 deaths to clear the entrance. Then I get the memory leak and crash.

Today, I try with Malinor, a guardian. We enter, and there's a gremlin diabolist and about a dozen of the lost soul type mobs. He charges headlong into the fray. His HP bar barely even budges. Meanwhile, I try to pick off the lost souls, and get aggro. Bear in mind, I'm using a fully-upgraded nanodyne ballistic cannon with 4 sacred mods in it (it's about +60% damage). And with a 7-point beacon, can't take down a single lost soul in the time between it starting to charge its attack and it actually attacking. So, I take a hit from one. Then another, and oops, two was too much - I'm dead.

The difference is staggering. The guardian takes 15, 20 mobs at a time, and rips through them. I die to three. And even with a fully upgraded gun, the damage is way behind Mal's.

Then you have things like the nightmare Shulgoth fight. There's no real strategy to the guy; just backpedalling and chugging potions while you shoot at him. Dodging his attacks is more a matter of luck and him stopping short than any skill. The problem is, he can one-shot fairly well-geared engineers. That's about 800 total damage with something like 18% reduction, gone in a single hit. Sure, you can run away forwards, and wait for him to attack, but the fight would take a very long, very boring forever, at that rate.

Bottom line: nightmare fucking sucks right now, and is in need of much patching.

s3rial one on
This discussion has been closed.