As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laser Hair Removal

PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm looking to do some laser hair removal on my balls - should I seek out a professional or is there a home laser kit I can use? What kind of pricing can I expect? Has anyone lasered their balls before?

PeekingDuck on

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Are you being serious because you don't write like you are? Anyways, its expensive as fuck. Calling the laser hair removal folk is like calling a time share salesman, they really try to make that sell even after you say no and hang up. And no, there isn't a home laser kit though I think I read on Engadget something is in the works.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh I'm serious. Shaving makes it uncomfortable when it grows back and I'm not sure I'm up for waxing, that sounds pretty painful.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laser hair removal is expensive, and for it to work your hair has to be a colour that will absorb the laser light effectively.
    The description I've heard of it is that you have some goo smeared on the area to be treated, and then the laser is used. Supposedly it hurts afterwards, like sunburn.
    Years ago there was talk of a home "laser razor" (a reference to it is made in The Sixth Day, for example), but I doubt it will be on the market any time soon.
    My recommendation is to get some hair clippers or one of those Norelco "Body Groom" devices and just trim it down to 1/4" or so, rather than shaving it off completely. That way you'll avoid the stubble, and you won't have to laser, electrocute, or potentially tear skin off of your testicles.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh I'm serious. Shaving makes it uncomfortable when it grows back and I'm not sure I'm up for waxing, that sounds pretty painful.

Well, like I said before it is expensive. Check out some local cosmetic surgery doctors for quotes and a consultation. Unless you make $$$ be prepared for sticker shock.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why the fuck would you want lasers anywhere near your balls, nevermind WILLINGLY.

Couldn't you just trim it? Or is that too late, since you've already decided to shave.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I make pretty good money so it isn't that big a deal. Are we talking more than a thousand here? Two thousand?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Laser hair removal is usually done on areas of the skin which are pretty robust and flat, unlike the wrinkled, incredibly sensitive skin of your balls.

Invest in the Norelco Bodygroomer.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I got this from bizjournals.com (heres the link http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2005/05/16/story5.html) Those are your balls, but if it were me I'd stay as far away from those things as I possibly could. Just remember you only have 2 and something goes awry then your pretty much screwed.
    Those numbers continue to climb, despite the fact that two young women died recently -- one in Tucson, Ariz., and another in Raleigh, N.C. -- as a result of using too much numbing cream before getting hair removal done at laser clinics.

According to published reports, the two women completely coated their legs in the cream while at home and then suffered a toxic reaction on their way to the laser clinics, which led to coma and then death. Detractors blame the fact that compounding pharmacies, where the creams were made, are largely unregulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Latricia Stone, a local nurse who works in the medical device industry, says she was aware of the two deaths before she decided to have laser hair removal done at Ideal Image on her eyebrows, underarms, legs and bikini area, but didn't let that change her mind. In fact, she's even used some numbing cream herself.

"You get a full sheet of instructions on the numbing cream -- how to use it and when to apply it," she says. "They are very thorough in giving proper patient education. You're not supposed to coat yourself down."

Courtney Gleaton, a cosmetic surgery consultant at The Bougainvillea Clinique in Winter Park, agrees. "Laser hair removal is very safe," she says, adding that the procedure has such minimal discomfort that a numbing cream really isn't even needed.

However, other risks, say Gleaton, include possibly burning the skin or discoloring dark skin with the laser. That's why it's important, she says, to make sure the facility has the latest technology, is overseen by a doctor and uses only licensed medical professionals such as a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant to do the procedure.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They weren't actually killed by lasering though. They were killed because the cheap places they went to gave them cream that they shouldn't have.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    still though, would you want death cream on your balls? Also around the end it goes on to say that "other risks include possibly burning the skin or discoloring dark skin with the laser." You testicle skin is the thinnest skin you have on your body. I don't know how bad these burns are but I sure as hell wouldn't want to get my balls melted.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this thread is awesome

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you are serious about this, then the only thing you can do is go into a place for a consultation for it.
    I don't really think we can do a whole lot of it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    LifeVirusZEROLifeVirusZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Please... Anyone who has not been to www.shaveeverywhere.com needs to go there NOW.

EDIT - And be sure to watch EVERYTHING. It's worth it, I swear.

LifeVirusZERO on
    6ltl5i0ap7.png