Options

Live action Star Wars tv show in the works.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    xraydog wrote: »
    Hayden Christensen is actually a really good actor. Just watch Shattered Glass. Which makes his performance in the Star Wars prequels all the more depressing.

But easier to blame on Lucas

yeah I know that's what I just did.

xraydog on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Would anyone else be happy if this show turned out to be the Adventures of Boba Fett or something? I would probably watch a whole series of him chasing bounties and getting caught up in the occasional far-reaching galactic crime conspiracy... and then blowing it wide open all by himself.

But that's just me.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Looking forward to this, especially with the advent of such shows as 24, The Unit, etc that can balance some storytelling with decent action sequences and high pace.

devoir on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Would anyone else be happy if this show turned out to be the Adventures of Boba Fett or something? I would probably watch a whole series of him chasing bounties and getting caught up in the occasional far-reaching galactic crime conspiracy... and then blowing it wide open all by himself.

But that's just me.

YES.

It would be good to keep Jedi out of the series. The temptation to make shit up about the Jedi Order, the Sith Brotherhood, or the Force would be too great for your typical television writer and/or director.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Church wrote: »

But that's just me.

YES.

It would be good to keep Jedi out of the series. The temptation to make shit up about the Jedi Order, the Sith Brotherhood, or the Force would be too great for your typical television writer and/or director.

Long as those people are Lucas I could live with it.

I honestly have no further interest in Star Wars it's been so thoroughly fucked in the ass

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I honestly have no further interest in Star Wars it's been so thoroughly fucked in the ass
    Fett can restore your faith!
    star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-20050503052404163.jpg
    BELIEVE

Seriously though. They've already confirmed (I think) that Daniel Logan is on board, and he's certainly not that punk-ass little kid any more. I'd be psyched as hell about a series focusing on Fett and the criminal lowlife segment of the galaxy, moving away from epic battles between Force-powered individuals. Let's get some good old shootouts, or down and dirty vibroblade fights or something. Hutts and shit, man!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would love to see a star wars anthology-type show.

Screw over-arching plots, just have self-contained episodes centering on different characters in different time periods.

Why must the two be mutually exclusive?

With other Sci Fi shows (BSG, B5, Firefly being my primary interests), the good guys are on a ship or a station, inside a galaxy.
    Whereas Star Wars IS a galaxy.
    I do not feel a traditional '5-9 regular people in one place change the course of a war' works well in the Star Wars mythos.

It has always been about one guy doing something that allows another guy (who may not know the first one) to do something cool. Like blow a space station up (Katarn and Skywalker, namely).

Of course, Katarn didn't work alone. But, IIRC, he was certainly vital in getting the message out. So my idea blossoms.
    Break the galaxy into factions:
    What I shall call 'Boy',
    Rebel Command,
    Imperial Command,
    Boba Fett,
    Black Sun,
    and whomever else might be interesting. (Thrawn. Please.)

Basically what I'm saying is, steal GRRM's layout. (ASoIaF)
    Each 'chapter' (read: episode) should be a different style of show - much like the books. Some settle for simple blaster fire, some want to draw ships out of gas giants using the Force.

Boba Fett could be Detective Noir, with Boy being almost BSG in nature.
    Rebel/Imp Command should concentrate on epsioniage, setting up operations and generally doing command and control type stuff.

Imperial Command should be used on equal footing with the other stories. I'd like them to see themselves as heroes in their own eyes, trying to stamp out this rebellion.

Create 'specials' every Xth week - 45/60 minutes for a 'tales' section: Tales from Mos Eisley Catina, only less with the Force Senstive 'look sir, droids' and those specific stories (as they haven't happened... yet).

Basically a short story about an alien race. If a story won't work, then just describe their homeworld, usual professions, etc.

An outline I made up to illustrate what, I think, I'd like to see.

Week 1:
    Introduce Boy.
    Week 2:
    Introduce Boba Fett (or whomever).
    Week 3:
    Rebel Command decides to use Boy to transfer a document, using a transport scheduled to leave in 2 weeks (or days, or ... however long passes between episodes).
    Week 4:
    Imperial Command, in a subplot, gets wind of this, and lays plans to capture or kill the rebel on that transport ship.
    Week 5:
    Wacky hijinks ensue.

Yes, this would make for a huge cast. Assuming normal show levels ... Boba Fett would have a regular of 1, Boy, 1, IC/RC = 5-9 each .. call it 12 to 20 regulars. And that's only assuming 4 factions.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As long as Lucas isn't the writer it might be passable. At the very least we won't hear lines like...

Star Wars: Episode 2

ANAKIN: Don't be afraid.

PADMÉ: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit
    each day since you came back into my life.

ANAKIN: What are you talking about?

PADMÉ: I love you.

ANAKIN: You love me?! I thought we decided not to fall in
    love. That we would be forced to live a lie. That it would
    destroy our lives...

PADMÉ: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway.
    My love for you is a puzzle, Annie, for which I have no
    answers. I can't control it... and now I don't care. I
    truly, deeply love you, and before we die I want you to
    know.

Star Wars: Episode 3

Anakin Skywalker: You are so… beautiful.
    Senator Amidala: It’s only because I’m so in love.
    Anakin Skywalker: No, it’s because I’m so in love with you.

Obi-Wan: It's over Anakin! I have the high ground.

*said immediately after they've done crazy gymnastics on moving robots over a river of lava. course now Obi-wan is standing about 3 feet higher on a hill, makes all the difference I guess. O_o*

Tell me you didn't cringe in your seat listening to these lines....

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Eh, nevermind. Doesn't matter much now.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Fett can restore your faith!
    star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-20050503052404163.jpg
    BELIEVE

Seriously though. They've already confirmed (I think) that Daniel Logan is on board, and he's certainly not that punk-ass little kid any more. I'd be psyched as hell about a series focusing on Fett and the criminal lowlife segment of the galaxy, moving away from epic battles between Force-powered individuals. Let's get some good old shootouts, or down and dirty vibroblade fights or something. Hutts and shit, man!

Hell, that sounds fun. Add some more detail to the 'darker' side of the Star Wars 'verse, create some cool characters, and see what occurs.

yalborap on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't think he was a punk to begin with; unlike a certain other child actor, he actually pulled off his role.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I guess punk was an ill-chosen word. Basically he was every inch NOT the sort of character I would enjoy having as my protagonist. But he's matured a lot since then, is my point. I guess.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i really hope lucas takes a backseat, I just don't think he has the ability to tell awesome stories anymore. Kinda like how when Spielberg got old and had kids he said he'd never make a movie like 'Close Encounters' again (i.e. a guy abandons his wife and kids) or when he replaced the guns in E.T. with walkie talkies.

I think Lucas has that same pussification disease.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Brynj wrote: »
    "I have the high ground!"

That was the best quote in the fucking trilogy.

Because you are all "what the fuck why in the blue hell does that make a difference".

Then he cuts his legs off.

Transporter on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They should just get the 24 writers and some Star Wars knowledge guys and then make the show

Kyle Katarn: Where are the PLANS!
    Imp Officer:I don't know what you are talking about...
    Katarn: *shoots blaster into Imps knee cap* You will tell me where the plans are or I won't let you die quickly.
    Imp Officer: Ok aghhh the plans are on Danuta!
    Katarn: Danuta! Get me Mon Mothma on the comm link NOW!
    Imp Officer: arghh oh and Kyle we kidnapped your dad....teehee!
    Kyle: You son of a bitch! *fires six shots into the dude*

Then you know go to the Rebel Alliance and we get too watch some political intrigue and then before the end of each show do a fucking crazy plot twist....say seeing Boba Fett walk out of a door while zipping his pants up...and the door says "Princess Leia's room"

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

*said immediately after they've done crazy gymnastics on moving robots over a river of lava. course now Obi-wan is standing about 3 feet higher on a hill, makes all the difference I guess. O_o*

Duh. Obi-Wan had the moral high ground. You can't beat the virtuous good.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On a related note, toys r us is selling exclusive 181st TIE Interceptors.

pTRU1-3623924reg.jpg

how can you refuse this?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just hope they don't take it in the direction of Lost and Heroes with cheap shock reveals (camera pulls out to show they're not where it looked like they were etc) and dime-a-dozen mysteries. Cliffhangers are gripping but come on

Sam on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The prequel era had some of the best writing that Star Wars ever had.

pity that none of it was in the movies.

Hell give John Ostrander and Matthew Stover control over the series and it would probably be the greatest thing ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

It's the same way Obi-wan beat Darth Maul. Obi-wan knew what was coming.

More Star Wars. Hooray! Fuck the haters.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They should just get the 24 writers and some Star Wars knowledge guys and then make the show

Katarn: *shoots blaster into Imps knee cap* You will tell me where the plans are or I won't let you die quickly.

Then you know go to the Rebel Alliance and we get too watch some political intrigue and then before the end of each show do a fucking crazy plot twist....say seeing Boba Fett walk out of a door while zipping his pants up...and the door says "Princess Leia's room"
    I'd watch it. Cheering.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes, Lucas and his VERY SUBTLE* writing style when trying to communicate a point. I definitely wouldn't want to miss that in another Star Wars movie/show. :lol:

*enlarged to even further demonstrate its subtleness ;-)
    It's the same way Obi-wan beat Darth Maul. Obi-wan knew what was coming.

Actually, that's a good point for me. Wasn't Darth Maul basically in the same position Obi-wan was in during the third movie? Guess the +25% stat bonus to defense for the high ground just wasn't enough in that case.

In all seriousness though, Tofystedeth is right. When Lucas wants to make a point he doesn't let his story make it for him, he has to spell it out for the audience. His characters saying love every five minutes like its a 12 year old girl talking about her favorite crush, etc.

Don't forget, Lucas neither directed nor was the sole screenwriter on what is widely considered the best Star Wars of all time, Empire.

Let him write the overall story, but for the love of the franchise, let someone else be responsible for what goes on the screen.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Damn, Logan's just a bit over a year younger than me. I didn't realise.

He's definitely at the age now where he should be able to carry at least a co-lead role capably, even in regards to the (potential) physicality of Boba Fett.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »

He's definitely at the age now where he should be able to carry at least a co-lead role capably, even in regards to the (potential) physicality of Boba Fett.

Also keep in mind that, as he is represented in the EU, Boba seems more inclined to use his brains rather than relying on straight-up combat every time. Supposedly this distinguished him from Jango.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »

Also keep in mind that, as he is represented in the EU, Boba seems more inclined to use his brains rather than relying on straight-up combat every time. Supposedly this distinguished him from Jango.

I had forgotten about that. It could lend itself to being quite a good show if they get some depth and subtlety to it.

devoir on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, yeah, I know Lucas "announced" a SW TV show way back when, but Lucas is not shy about announcing all kinds of crazy shit when he's got promotional fever. Last week it became official when it hit the mainstream media and Lucas said "production has begun."

I really hope it doesn't become completely TV'd, i.e. tons of dramatic sub-plots crammed into each episode for no reason other than to give some of the characters things to do while they're waiting for the main plot to come around again. OR God forbid it becomes like one of those lame sci-fi serials. I'm really hoping for a coherent, overarching plot. But this is Lucas, so who knows?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think the show being Star Wars and backed by Lucas himself lends it a certain amount of stability that most shows cannot count on. If they should be able to do what Babylon 5 apparently did (I never watched it, but I've heard a bit about it from these boards) and plot out a proper arc and structure from the get go. The fact that they're already talking about a specific number of episodes and spin-off shows lends some support to the idea that they're already going down this path.

devoir on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's what I'm hoping for. Though Lucas has a nasty habit of writing himself into corners. But with the EU now under strict watch it might work, though I'd be really happy if he'd stop contradicting 15 years worth of well-loved EU books and such.

And as long as Kevin J. Anderson is never, ever allowed near it, there's a chance.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'd watch it. Cheering.

Kyle: Jan! Noooooo!
    Jan: I had sex with Desann!
    Kyle: WHAT?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    And as long as Kevin J. Anderson is never, ever allowed near it, there's a chance.

Hey, his writing isn't amazing, but I do enjoy the majority of it (though I wish I could blot Darksaber out of my memory). Though it's not part of his Star Wars work, I really enjoyed Hopscotch and the Saga of Seven Suns has also been an enjoyable series.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ergandar wrote: »

I'd watch it. Cheering.

Kyle: Jan! Noooooo!
    Jan: I had sex with Desann!
    Kyle: WHAT?
    I'd watch that.
    Fapping.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    MivonksMivonks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think this live action series needs to be a cross between Kung Fu and The Fugitive.

A roving Jedi, on the run from the Empire and the Purge.

A Jedi like ... I dunno ... Quinlan Vos?! :D

Tell me that wouldn't work? :^:

Mivonks on
    but it was so much easier ... when I was cruel
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If they can not let George Lucas on set at all, and cast Nathan Fillion for some sort of role... OK, this show might be good.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MivonksMivonks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    If they can not let George Lucas on set at all, and cast Nathan Fillion for some sort of role... OK, this show might be good.

Mmmmmmmm tight pants ... :P

Mivonks on
    but it was so much easier ... when I was cruel
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just as it did when I first heard about this thanks to that awesome comic, this physically pains me. Let's go over this:

First: Original Trilogy. Landmark films, amazing effects, enthralling space adventure.

Second: Timothy Zahn writes Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy, creates awesome characters and settings that
    subsequent authors fuck up beyond all recognition.

Third: Expanded Universe begins. It all sucks ass. Seriously, it's terrible. X-Wing books? New Jedi Order? They never should have let anyone but Zahn write Star Wars books.

Fourth: Various Star Wars games make interesting self-contained plot-lines that I could buy or sell as part of the Star Wars Universe as a whole.

Fifth: New trilogy begins. Lucas proves that he was totally lying when he said that he had envisioned it as a 9 movie saga.

Sixth: Expanded Universe continues to vacuum buttocks fiercely.

Seventh: Attack of the Clones becomes the best movie of the new trilogy by inspiring a brilliant cartoon series by the guy who did Samurai Jack.

Eighth: KOTOR succeeds in becoming the first piece of media outside the cartoons, original movies, and original Thrawn trilogy to actually add something of value to the Star Wars narrative.

Nineth: A complete lack of post-KOTOR redemption leads Star Wars further into horrific suckage.

At some point in that timeline, Firefly comes out, and despite being a billion times better than anything in Star Wars that happened outside of the aforementioned bright spots, it still gets canceled. Fuck Fox.

And Fuck Star Wars. They've already ruined it. I'm surprised I even felt those pangs upon reading of the re-confirmation of this ill-advised series.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Alecthar wrote: »

Can't... breathe...

devoir on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seventh: Attack of the Clones becomes the best movie of the new trilogy by inspiring a brilliant cartoon series by the guy who did Samurai Jack.

:^:

Clone Wars is easily more entertaining, for me, than the entire new trilogy.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »

:^:

Clone Wars is easily more entertaining, for me, than the entire new trilogy.

Same here. I actually just watched the series for the first time a few days ago.

'Twas glorious.

yalborap on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just as it did when I first heard about this thanks to that awesome comic, this physically pains me. Let's go over this:

First: Original Trilogy. Landmark films, amazing effects, enthralling space adventure.

Second: Timothy Zahn writes Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy, creates awesome characters and settings that
    subsequent authors fuck up beyond all recognition.

Third: Expanded Universe begins. It all sucks ass. Seriously, it's terrible. X-Wing books? New Jedi Order? They never should have let anyone but Zahn write Star Wars books.

Fourth: Various Star Wars games make interesting self-contained plot-lines that I could buy or sell as part of the Star Wars Universe as a whole.

Fifth: New trilogy begins. Lucas proves that he was totally lying when he said that he had envisioned it as a 9 movie saga.

Eighth: KOTOR succeeds in becoming the first piece of media outside the cartoons, original movies, and original Thrawn trilogy to actually add something of value to the Star Wars narrative.

Nineth: A complete lack of post-KOTOR redemption leads Star Wars further into horrific suckage.

At some point in that timeline, Firefly comes out, and despite being a billion times better than anything in Star Wars that happened outside of the aforementioned bright spots, it still gets canceled. Fuck Fox.

And Fuck Star Wars. They've already ruined it. I'm surprised I even felt those pangs upon reading of the re-confirmation of this ill-advised series.

I don't know. Maybe you could ignore the stuff you don't like instead of crying like this? I can watch the parts of Star Wars I like over and over again without them being diminished at all by the parts I don't like. If the TV series is bad, who cares?

I've seen people hate the prequels (I don't like them either) but you guys elevate it to an artform.

xraydog on
  • Options
    ThandorThandor __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Lucas shold let Joss Whedon direct.

And Adam Baldwin be the main character

Thandor on