Options

Live action Star Wars tv show in the works.

13»

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    xraydog wrote:
    I don't know. Maybe you could ignore the stuff you don't like instead of crying like this? I can watch the parts of Star Wars I like over and over again without them being diminished at all by the parts I don't like. If the TV series is bad, who cares?

I've seen people hate the prequels (I don't like them either) but you guys elevate it to an artform.

The people who are most irritated by crappy Star Wars stuff are likely the people who have stuck with it the longest. I myself went to all 3 prequels on opening day, and have read some of the Expanded Universe stuff. I've also been a fan of the games (when they don't suck).

However, I felt like George Lucas and those contributing were, in large part, punishing me for loving Star Wars so damn much. Every time I tried something new, I hoped it would redeem the series. I hoped Episode II would make up for Episode I, and that Episode III would make up for the other two. I was...disappointed. Aside from a few bright spots I mentioned, Star Wars has come to be something of a joke. And because I read and viewed and payed undue attention to those jokes, my watching of the original movies, my playing of the good games, and my reading of the (three) good books has been tarnished by the knowledge that so much crappy material has been churned out elsewhere, ruining these characters and settings. So if you can ignore them, more power to you, but since I can't, I'm going to remain angry about the fact that they keep coming up with new ways to darken even the few remaining bright spots.

And I don't want Joss Whedon to direct anything involved with Star Wars. I want them to take this Star Wars budget and use it to bring back Firefly. *sigh*

Alecthar on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Statement: The meatbag better have at least one HK-47 cameo in the series. Otherwise, he might suffer an unfortunate accident.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Statement: The meatbag better have at least one HK-47 cameo in the series. Otherwise, he might suffer an unfortunate accident.

Yes.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really didn't mind most of the new trilogy. I went in them thinking that they were movies made for a new generation of SW fans and, just flashy adventures with lot's of fun shit going on. And I liked them for the most part. The only things I didn't like were the times Lucas completely stomped all over well established EU stuff, the most glaring being the whole Death Star plans thing at the end of the Clone Wars. The OT was still better, but the NT was good in its own way.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Page- wrote: »
    I really didn't mind most of the new trilogy. I went in them thinking that they were movies made for a new generation of SW fans and, just flashy adventures with lot's of fun shit going on. And I liked them for the most part. The only things I didn't like were the times Lucas completely stomped all over well established EU stuff, the most glaring being the whole Death Star plans thing at the end of the Clone Wars. The OT was still better, but the NT was good in its own way.

Can you explain what you mean about the Death Star plans? I don't really follow the EU.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, there's a lot to it. Mostly, in the EU, through books, comics and games, it was well established that the Death Star plans were developed well after the forming of the Empire. I can't remember many specifics right now, but a few things had to be reworked in the timeline. I think the fact that many SW games that had nothing to do with each other all had players stealing or help in the stealing of the DS plans also confuses things. I also think there's a book in the works that will probably put it all back in order.

Looking around a little I see what it was. In the SW Radio show the Death Star was "discovered" by Leia, and then the plans were stolen. I guess that doesn't really contradict the film.

What does, though, is Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy, which I now realize I despise. So good for you, Lucas. The more you can make Anderson look stupid, the better.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think that judging by what Rick McCallum and Lucas have been saying about the show it's going to be focused on Boba Fett as he travels around the galaxy, or some other bounty hunter/mercenary travelling the galaxy and stuff. A lot of the interviews mention Boba's inclusion and the words "bounty hunter" and "minor characters" getting lots of screen time.

I also wouldn't be surprised if The Force Unleashed factored into the storyline, too.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How is this going to work?

And what actors are going to want to commit to this project? I just can't see it. I wouldn't risk the backlash of fanboys & girls. They're mad enough as it is.

bychance on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked each one of the prequels the first time I saw it in the theater (and even was rendered a gibbering fanboy by episode 3). I only grew to hate everything wrong with them on subsequent DVD viewings.

I'm expecting a TV series to do something similar. Alas that the potential for something great is there, seeing as I've been an avid EU fan since forever. (Can't really stand the vong stuff though - as page-turning as it is, the dark tone is really wearisome to me.)

I can't disagree more with the guy who says all EU except Zahn is crap though. Stackpole's stuff is entertaining (X-Wing), and Aaron Allston is just fantastic.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't disagree more with the guy who says all EU except Zahn is crap though. Stackpole's stuff is entertaining (X-Wing), and Aaron Allston is just fantastic.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Though I haven't kept up on it in the last few years (stopped about halfway through the Vong arc), I always felt that about a third of the EU stuff was very good, another third wasn't amazing, but enjoyable to read, and the remaining third was the utter shit most people like to ramble on about.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There's plenty of EU stuff that's worth your time if it's what you like.

And I found that I enjoyed the Vong books a lot more when I decided to read it like it was some huge "what it?" style cross-over series, where almost every character and situation from every other book makes at least a small appearance. When people and planets started getting offed, though, that kind of sucked. Still, in the end I enjoyed it, and I managed to get both my parents into it, and neither of them had ever read an EU book. They loved the hell out of it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And everything that Stover has written has been fucking gold.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Honestly, I can't fault Lucas for ignoring the EU. There's just so damn much of it, written by so many people. Although I can see how confusing it must be to figure out how much of a book series has been made unworkable whenever a new bit of "official" canon is released.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't give less of a shit about Leia's kids and their adventures. I've heard a few intriguing things about it (Jan falling to the Dark Side, eh?) but like all of the EU, it's all fucked up because there are way too many cooks. I can say right now that some of the young adult literature that I read years ago would conflict with a fall to the Dark Side, though I suppose the whole point of the Vong was to be able to write whatever the fuck you wanted about the characters and justify it with a massive invasion from outside the established narrative. I would think that, as good as you EU people might think it is, it would be unfathomably better if the quality of the work were greater, the quantity less, and the work done by far fewer authors with a defining narrative vision that guided the work, rather than the absurd meanderings of the many, many contributors taking us down roads that are utterly without value.

The narratives are pitiful. I do like Michael Stackpole, but more for his work on the Battletech storyline than for his X-Wing stuff. The issue is mainly that no defining vision for the future of the universe ever emerged. People did whatever they wanted to with characters, locations and events. The resurrected Emperor (twice, three times? Can't remember) is a particularly painful example of the EU gone horribly wrong. Like I said, too many cooks spoiled the Star Wars universe by making the narrative impossible to follow. Zahn wrote some follow-up books to his original trilogy that were tarnished by the poor work of others in the intervening period. In fact, most of the EU seems to me little more than glorified fan fiction. It's badly done, adds little to the narrative, and yet still manages to corrupt the good work of others.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't give less of a shit about Leia's kids and their adventures. I've heard a few intriguing things about it (Jan falling to the Dark Side, eh?) but like all of the EU, it's all fucked up because there are way too many cooks.

Jacen going Sith is pretty cool, but what I really like is Boba Fett's current storyline. It's particularly compelling, if you're into stories about Fett. Spoilers, if you care:
    Fett's body is beginning to decay because of the cloning process that created him, so he follows up on a lead about one of the original clones who claims to have stopped the aging process. At the same time he's dealing with his granddaughter whom he just met as well as having to finally become a true leader to the Mandalorians instead of just a figurehead.

Personally, I enjoy it as much as, if not more than, the Jacen storyline, though the Fett one will only appear in the ones that Karen Traviss writes.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    By the way, I did kind of want to see the Vong stuff to the end since I read so much of it. Started on "Star by Star" (if there were good earlier books that aren't rendered pointless by later developments, I'd certainly be interested), and I think the last thing I read was Traitor, which was rather interesting. What books should I read to get the best of the finale? I've been burned by some bad NJO (Dark Journey comes to mind) and don't feel like going through in order any more.
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't give less of a shit about Leia's kids and their adventures. I've heard a few intriguing things about it (Jan falling to the Dark Side, eh?) but like all of the EU, it's all fucked up because there are way too many cooks. I can say right now that some of the young adult literature that I read years ago would conflict with a fall to the Dark Side, though I suppose the whole point of the Vong was to be able to write whatever the fuck you wanted about the characters and justify it with a massive invasion from outside the established narrative. I would think that, as good as you EU people might think it is, it would be unfathomably better if the quality of the work were greater, the quantity less, and the work done by far fewer authors with a defining narrative vision that guided the work, rather than the absurd meanderings of the many, many contributors taking us down roads that are utterly without value.

The narratives are pitiful. I do like Michael Stackpole, but more for his work on the Battletech storyline than for his X-Wing stuff. The issue is mainly that no defining vision for the future of the universe ever emerged. People did whatever they wanted to with characters, locations and events. The resurrected Emperor (twice, three times? Can't remember) is a particularly painful example of the EU gone horribly wrong. Like I said, too many cooks spoiled the Star Wars universe by making the narrative impossible to follow. Zahn wrote some follow-up books to his original trilogy that were tarnished by the poor work of others in the intervening period. In fact, most of the EU seems to me little more than glorified fan fiction. It's badly done, adds little to the narrative, and yet still manages to corrupt the good work of others.

This is all true, but at least a couple had the sense to just make up their own characters, and not interfere elsewhere. Too many cooks wouldn't be so bad if so many of them weren't absolutely terrible writers. I think Zahn is still the only one who managed to write the canon characters from the movies convincingly, which should have been a basic requirement.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Here's some of what was said at Star Wars Celebration 4 earlier this year:
    -There are plans to do at least one live action series.
    -There is an animated series in the works already. They showed a short montage of clips from it and it looks awesome.
    -There is an animated movie planned or in the works.
    -For the live action series: They mentioned that Lucas wanted to make all the episodes at once and then release them (similar to LOTR) rather than making them as the series goes along like most shows.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    -For the live action series: They mentioned that Lucas wanted to make all the episodes at once and then release them (similar to LOTR) rather than making them as the series goes along like most shows.

Which translates to either: Hey I'm George Lucas and my throat gobble is huge and I may die soon so I want to pump the Star Wars money asshole as fast as possible...

or

The show will have a cast made entirely of children and I don't want to hurt the fans by having the kids grow up too fast during seasons and it looking awkard. I LOVE CHILDREN!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I at least respect Michael Stackpole for not trying to take on the greater Star Wars legacy. He at least had the sense to avoid the central characters, and I think the fact that he has written some of the most readable EU stuff is evidence of that good decision. But I just didn't really feel the Star Wars in his work. As enjoyable as it was as a diversion, he really didn't capture that certain Star Wars something for me like he did the Battletech universe.

But most of the made up characters very much failed to interest me. The various Imperial warlords (Zsinj was one, right?) never seemed well done, and the entire Leia marriage thing with the kidnapping and so forth was absurd. This, to me, is a microcosm of the failed enterprise that is the EU.

If you want to hear me talk overlong about the Vong stuff:
    And as far as the Vong are concerned, it seems ridiculous to me. You've got a universe with a titanic everlasting shadow war between two halves of a universe permeating power, a fractious alliance of former rebels desperately trying to cobble together a real government in the face of a weakened, but still dangerous force of genocidal space bigots, and constant conflict with other various unaffiliated planets. The addition of this new threat seems unnecessary at best, and an excuse to darken the tone. And frankly, I don't think that we needed the Vong if we wanted to do that. I think that the aforementioned factors give us ample opportunity for darkness. And the reason I think we haven't seen that before is because the beauty of Star Wars has never been in it's ability to impress upon us the fear and oppression and darkness of this vision. Rather it reveals itself to be at its best when it tells the story of heroes battling the odds to bring light to a galaxy too long shrouded in fear. Trying to turn what was a heroic saga into a story of anti-heroes robs it of something dear, and I think that the failure of the prequels and my (and LoneIgadzra's) dislike of the Vong arc is evidence of that fundemental lack.

And as far as Boba Fett is concerned, he died in that fucking Sarlacc pit, and the Mandalorians are essentially a non-entity. They lost that war, it's over. All the rest is dross.

I'm excited about the cartoon, provided that it's by the guys who did the Clone Wars series, and provided that they do it in a cool setting/time. I would love:

-KOTOR time period
    -Grand Admiral Thrawn (I think that a cartoon series detailing the Thrawn trilogy would be so awesome)
    -The first Sith Wars, with the actual Sith

Alecthar on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if there will be an opening crawl for each episode, giving a synopsis of what happened the week previous.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I at least respect Michael Stackpole for not trying to take on the greater Star Wars legacy. He at least had the sense to avoid the central characters, and I think the fact that he has written some of the most readable EU stuff is evidence of that good decision. But I just didn't really feel the Star Wars in his work. As enjoyable as it was as a diversion, he really didn't capture that certain Star Wars something for me like he did the Battletech universe.

But most of the made up characters very much failed to interest me. The various Imperial warlords (Zsinj was one, right?) never seemed well done, and the entire Leia marriage thing with the kidnapping and so forth was absurd. This, to me, is a microcosm of the failed enterprise that is the EU.

If you want to hear me talk overlong about the Vong stuff:
    And as far as the Vong are concerned, it seems ridiculous to me. You've got a universe with a titanic everlasting shadow war between two halves of a universe permeating power, a fractious alliance of former rebels desperately trying to cobble together a real government in the face of a weakened, but still dangerous force of genocidal space bigots, and constant conflict with other various unaffiliated planets. The addition of this new threat seems unnecessary at best, and an excuse to darken the tone. And frankly, I don't think that we needed the Vong if we wanted to do that. I think that the aforementioned factors give us ample opportunity for darkness. And the reason I think we haven't seen that before is because the beauty of Star Wars has never been in it's ability to impress upon us the fear and oppression and darkness of this vision. Rather it reveals itself to be at its best when it tells the story of heroes battling the odds to bring light to a galaxy too long shrouded in fear. Trying to turn what was a heroic saga into a story of anti-heroes robs it of something dear, and I think that the failure of the prequels and my (and LoneIgadzra's) dislike of the Vong arc is evidence of that fundemental lack.

And as far as Boba Fett is concerned, he died in that fucking Sarlacc pit, and the Mandalorians are essentially a non-entity. They lost that war, it's over. All the rest is dross.

I'm excited about the cartoon, provided that it's by the guys who did the Clone Wars series, and provided that they do it in a cool setting/time. I would love:

-KOTOR time period
    -Grand Admiral Thrawn (I think that a cartoon series detailing the Thrawn trilogy would be so awesome)
    -The first Sith Wars, with the actual Sith

The whole Vong storyline was an effort to address the problem you seem to have with the EU, though. That is, too many writers doing whatever they wanted, without regard to what anyone else was doing. They neatly streamlined everything that was going on, discarding things that weren't important and working everything they wanted to keep into the main universe. By the end it was pretty clear who's stuff mattered and who's didn't, and where the universe was and where it could go. The real problem was that the writers didn't all have the same ideas about the characters. One book Jacen is a completely worthless sulk, the next he's just a conflicted idealist who will still do what needs to be done. One book Kyp is a complete asshole, the next he's just misunderstood, etc. Most of the characters seemed to shift depending on who was writing them. The story itself was still compelling, at least to me, and I liked the Vong.

About the Vong:
    I'm not sure you've got that completely right. The Vong show about almost 50 years after the movies, and by that point the Empire is shattered, they even made peace with the New Republic. They weren't a threat anymore. There could have been minor problems and skirmishes, but the universe at large was at peace. Short of more "superweapon of the week" story lines there wasn't much room for new battles. A new threat had to emerge.

Page- on
    stream