Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Have there been any videos on what the engineer abilities are?

Not really. the nature of a trailer kinda requires the action really, but engineer stuff is unlocking doors, crafting items, repairing shit, upgrading your vehicles, making armor, upgrading armor, hacking enemies in all kinds of ways (targetting etc to confuse em)
    Does anyone know if the enemies auto upgrade themselves like in Oblivion?

Enemies definitely do NOT do this. Im pretty sure one of the devs explicitely said so. Might have been on a roundtable at e3 with Bethesda actually, not sure. Bethesda have admitted it was a horrible design choice themselves, hence why it is absent from Fallout 3.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whichever class has quickest access to shotguns, that's what I'm playing as first. Shotgun-toting bearded badass, marauding through space. Yes please.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whichever class has quickest access to shotguns, that's what I'm playing as first. Shotgun-toting bearded badass, marauding through space. Yes please.

One pistol, unshaven brogue for me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sweet. I can handle a little auto upgrading, but Oblivion's was a bit too much.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    It says there's something like 6 more unlockable classes right? I find this...odd.

Any way, depending on how the skill sets are layed out I'll probably go Infiltrator or Sentinel, depending on how offense oriented they are.
    In addition, if you play well enough to survive the physical and political dangers of the galaxy, you will gain the ability to unlock six more specialization classes later in the game.

It kind of makes it sound like prestige classes or something similar in that you can't select them in the beginning, but you can change to it later on, but that could very well be wrong since BioWare has refused to saying anything about it in the past.

And I still can't help but flounder when trying to think of which class to play. See, soldier and vanguard and maybe adept seem perfect for Shepard. They're combat classes that do little but fight. Their skills are oriented towards killing things quickly and protecting themselves from damage. Perfect for someone to distinguish themselves.

The infiltrator also works as Shepard, as experience with wet work would probably be an ideal thing for a Spectre candidate to have.

But the engineer and the sentinel really don't seem to fit as Shepard. As the other characters? Sure, but not someone being considered to be a Spectre. What makes Shepard the engineer uniquely qualified to be a Spectre agent? Well, he can put your bandages on real nice! Have you ever seen such a pretty bandaging job? I bet you haven't! And the sentinel just has very little offensive capability to begin with.

They seem to be very support-ish, not someone at the forefront of anything, really. They don't seem very self-sufficient or capable of doing much of anything on their own, which seems to be kind of the Spectre's forte.

EDIT:
    Does anyone know if the enemies auto upgrade themselves like in Oblivion?

They may a little. Baldur's Gate 2 does this to a degree and even KOTOR does. BioWare has always been pretty good about making their games scale but keeping it subtle, so your levels do actually mean something, but they never mean so much that the entire game falls apart and you're a walking death machine, at least until the end. Well, maybe KOTOR didn't achieve that as well as their past games, but it would have been an easy game even without it.
    I feel like the hybrid classes are too limited from what we know, it's why I'm bummed we can't do a custom skill set.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sorry if I missed it, but how much are the hybrid classes limited? just in the armor and weapon restrictions, or do we know of any higher end skill limitations?

I was planning on vanguard, since I like my main character being able to carry his weight in combat but also wanted to mess around with the biotic abilities, but if they're somehow heavily limited in their skillsets I might have to decide between soldier and adept

Scudo on
  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I take it you have this gentleman in mind?

outland004.jpg

Excellent choice!
    After all, on Io, he's the only law.

Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    nice reference :^:

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I applaud you, good sir.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Scudo wrote: »
    sorry if I missed it, but how much are the hybrid classes limited? just in the armor and weapon restrictions, or do we know of any higher end skill limitations?

I was planning on vanguard, since I like my main character being able to carry his weight in combat but also wanted to mess around with the biotic abilities, but if they're somehow heavily limited in their skillsets I might have to decide between soldier and adept

We only know of armor and weapon restrictions. But those are limitations.

For instance, the vanguard's abilities are based around biotics and shotguns and pistols. The biotics they have access to are relatively short range and the weapons they have access to are short range weapons.

The vanguard is incredibly deadly at close range, but that's basically the only place they're exceptionally powerful. At medium to long range, they have diminishing returns on what they can do.

The infiltrator is much the same way. They're great at long range, but at close range, all you have is a pistol, which is the weakest of the weapon types.

The sentinel, again, has very little in the way of offensive abilities, so they're restricted mainly to being support characters.

All the hybrids are restricted in their own special ways.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    you forgot Jedi

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, do we know any specific abilities Biotics grant you? Because so far I've only seen the ME version of Force Push, Force Levitate and Heal on the videos.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yeah, I knew vanguard would be restricted to shotguns and pistols but I guess I didn't realize how much they were going to be pigeonholed into close combat

I may still play as one and hope my party members can pick up the slack at ranges, or just go the straightforward soldier route

Scudo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, do we know any specific abilities Biotics grant you? Because so far I've only seen the ME version of Force Push, Force Levitate and Heal on the videos.

There's a shield ability, and a handful of gravity warping abilities that crush or throw people etc. Our knowledge of biotics is pretty limited so far. It's not looking too varied from what I can tell.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

There's a shield ability, and a handful of gravity warping abilities that crush or throw people etc. Our knowledge of biotics is pretty limited so far. It's not looking too varied from what I can tell.

Well, to be fair, given the lore, it would be hard for the biotic powers to be more varied.

The idea behind the biotics is that a biotic person, with their implants, is able to manipulate dark energy and generate mass effect fields, which distort gravity and mass.

Manipulating gravity is basically all they can do.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I take it you have this gentleman in mind?

outland004.jpg

Excellent choice!
    After all, on Io, he's the only law.

I've never seen Outland, but now I'm gonna. And now my first character will probably be modelled after Sean Connery.

Thank you :^:

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We only know of armor and weapon restrictions. But those are limitations.

Remember, you can still use any kind of weapon at any time, no matter what class you are - it's just that they'll be inaccurate and so on if you don't have the relevant skill. An Adept will still carry and use a sniper rifle when circumstances call for it. They'll just suck, hard. And you still unlock further weapons skills when you upgrade the weapon skills you have far enough, so it's less limiting than it appears at first glance.

Armour's a hard limitation, though - I'm pretty sure that you just can't wear heavy armour unless you have the heavy armour skill.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well, to be fair, given the lore, it would be hard for the biotic powers to be more varied.

The idea behind the biotics is that a biotic person, which their implants, is able to manipulate dark energy and generate mass effect fields, which distort gravity and mass.

Manipulating gravity is basically all they can do.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm aware of this, but limited is limited.

I think there's still a lot of nifty things they can do within the basic premise of the powers, we just have yet to see a lot. I'm trying to be optimistic here!

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Armour's a hard limitation, though - I'm pretty sure that you just can't wear heavy armour unless you have the heavy armour skill.

Maybe you can.
    One thing I like in particular about how weapons skills work in “Mass Effect” is that – unlike traditional RPGs – you don’t need skill in a particular weapon or armor type to equip it. I never liked how RPGs forced you to have a special skill in say, “pants,” before they would even let you wear pants. In “Mass Effect,” you can in fact “wear pants,” whether you have special skills or not. How effective you are while “wearing pants” is then based on your skills.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It sounds like he's writing a VG Cats comic.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Maybe you can.

We will settle this the old fashioned way - by poring over grainy video stills.

To GameTrailers!

Edit: Yeah, I thought I'd seen it somewhere. It's not exactly conclusive, but the skill listing for 'tactical armour' in one of the videos is:
    Able to equip light armor
    Increases damage protection
    Grants the Shield Boost ability
    Unlocks medium armor

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't know if I want to see someone that is bad at wearing pants.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Maybe you can.

We will settle this the old fashioned way - by poring over grainy video stills.

To GameTrailers!

Edit: Yeah, I thought I'd seen it somewhere. It's not exactly conclusive, but the skill listing for 'tactical armour' in one of the videos is:
    Able to equip light armor
    Increases damage protection
    Grants the Shield Boost ability
    Unlocks medium armor

Maybe you're right, then. I guess we won't find out for 24 days.

And I'm pretty sure I just decided on playing an infiltrator.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Infiltrator seems a popular choice. I'm undecided myself, really, but it's a very likely contender.

Or Sentinel, or Vanguard, maybe. But biotics aren't appealing to me as much as Engineer skills.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Infiltrator seems a popular choice. I'm undecided myself, really, but it's a very likely contender.

Or Sentinel, or Vanguard, maybe. But biotics aren't appealing to me as much as Engineer skills.

Yeah, everyone seems to want to play an infiltrator. I guess I don't get to be special and unique.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd play sentinel, but they sound really dull. I was torn between soldier and other hybrids, but now that I know any weapon class is available, screw that.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, everyone seems to want to play an infiltrator. I guess I don't get to be special and unique.

It's not an MMO, so who cares? Just do what you want.

And yeah, I'm doing that too. Hacking stuff and unlocking doors is much less of a pain than having to shoot the shit out of machines all the time.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just can't see myself having fun sniping for the entire game. Vanguard it is.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

It's not an MMO, so who cares? Just do what you want.

And yeah, I'm doing that too. Hacking stuff and unlocking doors is much less of a pain than having to shoot the shit out of machines all the time.

Who doesn't care?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

Same. I like the idea of disabling local gravity and then shotgunning somebody into orbit. It just sounds right.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Szechuan wrote: »

Same. I like the idea of disabling local gravity and then shotgunning somebody into orbit. It just sounds right.

That's what happens? I thought they get disenigrated or something.

I still think I'll be going Jack Bauer for my first run.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Szechuan wrote: »

That's what happens? I thought they get disenigrated or something.

I still think I'll be going Jack Bauer for my first run.

The disintegration in the X06 demo was due to a plasma mod that was installed on Shepard's shotgun. There are also several different mods with different effects you'll be able to put on your weapons.

Normal weapons won't do anything special except do damage and, well, launch enemies into orbit while they're floating helplessly in the air.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I wanna be different so I'm going to play a Sentinel. I'm just going to sit and watch my party shoot stuff and play with the grass hoping for someone to need me.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Me? Male, Colonist, Sole Survivor, Soldier - Malcolm Shepard.

Second character: Female, Earthborn, Ruthless, probably infiltrator but not sure yet.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vanguard woot! Shotgun and shiny powers ftw. Then after Vanguard I'll probably play as Soldier or Infiltrator...just to shoot things.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are you sure you can name your character? It seems like they use pre-recorded names in the dialogue... John for male and Jane for female.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Are you sure you can name your character? It seems like they use pre-recorded names in the dialogue... John for male and Jane for female.

I don't remember anyone actually saying Shepards name, It was either Commander or Shepard.

I need to view them again I guess.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I was under the impression they refer to you as Shepard in the dialogue, that was the whole idea. Fixed last name, customizable first name, you just get called by your last name.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Like has been said, they never call Shepard by his or her first name. It's always "Commander" or "Shepard."

Additionally, watch any video with character creation in it, they show you able to change the first name and the Xbox 360's dashboard keyboard pops out. They just never change it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Im just went and reserved my copy to get the promotional disc. Looks like assasin's creed is being marketed harder than this game.

Does anyone know where that 42 minute video is?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
This discussion has been closed.