Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game looks pretty bland to be honest. Like Kotor but without the awesome setting. Knowing bioware it probably has pretty shitty writing and a fairly tacked on romance angle...or two...or three. I was expecting more to be honest.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game looks pretty bland to be honest. Like Kotor but without the awesome setting. Knowing bioware it probably has pretty shitty writing and a fairly tacked on romance angle...or two...or three. I was expecting more to be honest.

Wow, you are an awesome troll consistently, aren't you?

devoir on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Isn't it better to just do what you think will be more fun?

Kill some dudes for good points? Fun!
    Steal the loot for yourself for bad points? Fun!

This is what having a non-absolute system allows!

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What's bland about it, exactly? Is bland just a substitute word for generic? Enlighten us, go ahead.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »

No, I'm just having Jade Empire flashbacks. Touted as this epic game, with a fun combat system and awesome visuals, and most importantly a well fleshed out story.

What did we get? Jade Empire.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No, I'm just having Jade Empire flashbacks. Touted as this epic game, with a fun combat system and awesome visuals, and most importantly a well fleshed out story.

Some of us actually liked Jade Empire.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Sound like you hype yourself too much for games and when it fails to give you an orgasm, you're left disappointed.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
  • Options
    TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This post is devoid of any worthwhile content, but I need to say it anyway.

I cannot wait for this game to come out. I feel like they designed it just for me. Space Opera is the fucking shit, and mixing it with [what I think is] a brilliant combat system is, on a scale of one to great, super-awesome.

Teevirus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    To inaugurate our fresh thread, allow me to present...

Character Spotlight: Part 3! (non-HD version here)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Teevirus wrote: »
    This post is devoid of any worthwhile content, but I need to say it anyway.

I cannot wait for this game to come out. I feel like they designed it just for me. Space Opera is the fucking shit, and mixing it with [what I think is] a brilliant combat system is, on a scale of one to great, super-awesome.

In the words of a satisfied housewife...

Ah... men.

devoir on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Isn't it better to just do what you think will be more fun?

Kill some dudes for good points? Fun!
    Steal the loot for yourself for bad points? Fun!

This is what having a non-absolute system allows!

Yeah I was actually pissed when I saw the alignment marker.

GENERIC RAGE PISSED.

I prefer games without them, or like in fable when you can't be bothered to check it so you never know how you're doing.

EDIT: A big problem with the Jade and Kotor games was I'd get shoehorned into an alignment choice, I had to choose at the start if i wanted to be good or evil, with this I can basically say: I wanna be myself without worrying about semi-mystical repercussions. OR I can roleplay as sylar if I want to: Kill people when it will benefit me, but don't be a jerk about it.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man, that video post got BOTP'd so badly.

I'm increasingly getting irritated by Ashley's insistence on wearing makeup in combat situations.

Edit: Again, here it is for anyone who wants it.
    Character Spotlight: Part 3 (non-HD version here)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm gonna play as good lesbian, then bad lesbian, then lesbian, then some tossup.

Probably some les- I mean female.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, that video post got BOTP'd so badly.

I'm increasingly getting irritated by Ashley's insistence on wearing makeup in combat situations.

Seriously. What's up with those horrid eyelashes?

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's like, shit, Bioware, don't be so afraid to have a female character without makeup. She's in the military, for god's sake!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know the dialogue system is supposed to be a lot less rigidly separated into good/neutral/evil choices, but I also hope this applies to developing relationships with your crewmates. In KOTOR, it was always painfully obvious which choice would further the conversation and which ones would cut it short or just loop back to the initial options.

I just want to be able to pick from any of my dialogue options with the knowledge they will all unfold the conversation somehow.

Definitely have this game preordered, though.

Scudo on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Scudo wrote: »
    I know the dialogue system is supposed to be a lot less rigidly separated into good/neutral/evil choices, but I also hope this applies to developing relationships with your crewmates. In KOTOR, it was always painfully obvious which choice would further the conversation and which ones would cut it short or just loop back to the initial options.

I just want to be able to pick from any of my dialogue options with the knowledge they will all unfold the conversation somehow.

Definitely have this game preordered, though.

Id just like an evil path that is viable. Being a dick in KOTOR or NWN basically means you will never learn about half of the story.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, it's not evil. It's ruthless, and being a shade of grey it lends itself far better to having its own interesting version of the story, not just a cut down portion of the 'good' side, which itself is known as the paragon approach in this game.

devoir on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So is the Mass Effect book worth buying/reading?

I am not sure whether:
    a) It doesn't just plain suck as a book
    b) It spoils things for me in the game, which I can just as easily figure out myself

Lewisham on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't think the alignment system was good and evil. I thought for Mass Effect you were generally always "good" it just varied from Jack Bauer to Superman style of good.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, that pretty much covers it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's the exact analogy I was just about to make, heh.

I'm so glad this comes out on my birthday. Definite day-of buy for me. Something I can tide myself over with until Smash Brothers comes out.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am also one of those people who is really looking forward to this game but knows jack about it other than its from Bioware and it's in spaaaace.

I do hate the piano back ground music in all the videos. It just doesn't sound right. it neither intriguing or annoying just doesn't feel like it should sound like that.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Piano? I don't think I've heard any piano music in any ME videos. It's all electronica, and all awesome.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Maybe he means keyboard.

devoir on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    So is the Mass Effect book worth buying/reading?

I am not sure whether:
    a) It doesn't just plain suck as a book
    b) It spoils things for me in the game, which I can just as easily figure out myself

It's not the best written book, but I'd say it's worth reading. It's definitely not high art and I have plenty of problems with the writing style, but it's entertaining enough for seven or eight hours.

I don't think it would spoil anything in the game. It's basically the backstory of Captain Anderson, who is the captain of the SSV Normandy in the game and it gives quite a bit of insight into Saren. It also goes into the different alien races in great detail, all the places of note like the Citadel, and the technology of Mass Effect. It's impossible to know if that stuff is going to be in the game right now, though. Some of it, anyway. Much of it obviously will be in the game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I checked out that 42-minute preview posted in the last thread and it just makes me more hyped up about it.

Especially when he created the earthborn ruthless female and the intro's "description" of Shepard was EXACTLY what I was planning as my second character.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I checked out that 42-minute preview posted in the last thread and it just makes me more hyped up about it.

Especially when he created the earthborn ruthless female and the intro's "description" of Shepard was EXACTLY what I was planning as my second character.

that sounds like something I need to watch.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess I'm going to watch that 42 minute demo, I had a media blackout for this game for some reason and there's no reason, so... woop?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Some of us actually liked Jade Empire.

Well, to be fair, I see the point about Jade Empire (trolling or not); I didn't really feel it was what it was hyped to be. It was fun enough to play, but not in the way it was marketed, which I'm sure put off a lot of people (probably a lot like Fable).

I haven't read in-depth interviews about the game (pretty much random video watching on my part), but the exploration doesn't seem to be shuffled into chapters like JE, the combat seems to develop a bit more beyond 'use same attack until you need to get some health', and the characters are generally more intriguing to me already.

The main reasons you're supposed to play RPGs - the story and immersion - seem to be there, so I'm not really seeing much to doubt at this point. Combat and character leveling might be flawed, but those probably shouldn't be your focus, anyway.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I changed my mind. I mine as well keep with this media blackout.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    my first playthrough I'm just going to go through the game doing things based on what I'd actually do.

I hope this means I'll be good, but I never know.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I changed my mind. I mine as well keep with this media blackout.

I'm glad to see someone keeping up on their media blackout. I've been trying, but I slip and watch one or two sometimes.

I've declined to actually watch the 42 minute demonstration or the whole intro video, except for select pieces usually involving character creation and to grab a couple screens for the thread, but it's so tempting.

Maybe I'll go read the book again even though I have so many better sci-fi books to get through.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I haven't watched anything about this game since the demonstration at PAX.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't watched any videos or looked at any screens of this game for months

We must be strong for only a few weeks more!

bruin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    man, I am going to every planet ever.

I won't beat this game for months.

I am fucking jazzed.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I am fucking jazzed.

And then when you think you're done, they'll release more in DLC just to spite you.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

I am fucking jazzed.

And then when you think you're done, they'll release more in DLC just to spite you.

man, I'm scared.

in such a good way.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was contemplating taking a few days off after the release just to get some more gaming in.

Then I realised I can't, because another guy did it before me. Bastard. Now I have to work instead of playing Mass Effect for a week.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I doubt the wait for this to be PC ported will be as long as Jade Empire's was.

Speaking of Jade Empire, I guess it'll have to hold me over for awhile.

KOTOR is my favorite RPG, and I'm really looking forward to this hitting PC eventually.

From everything they've said in interviews and on their forums, expect the wait to be much longer, if at all.

They did state on their forums that it would 'never' come to PC, people are just hoping that's a lie.

Janson on
This discussion has been closed.