As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    switzky21 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If this doesn't come to the PC some day, there will be hell to pay. Seeing as KOTOR and Jade Empire both made it to my platform of choice after a while (with extra goodies attached to Jade Empire), I'm rather hopeful. I can wait as long as it takes, as long as I get it someday...

God I want this game. Nowhere near badly enough to buy a 360, but man. Even factoring in the wooden animations and the weird looking combat, this looks like a real winner. Space operas FTW.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    switzky21 wrote: »
    I just steamed the PC version, but if that doesn't work, you might just need to bite the bullet and get the Orange Box.

It's worth it.

Totally worth it.

Aye I was going to Steam it if I was getting the PC version, and reading everything here and having friends praise it, I'm sure I'll cave sooner rather than later :)

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FUCK.

This and Assassin's Creed?

My wallet weeps as I buy the 360.

devoir on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    FUCK.

call of duty 4 kane and lynch dead men

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ehhh. CoD4 looks really good and I like the levelling mechanic. But I'm not a shooter fan in the slightest, only played GoW because of the co-op and super shiny.

To get things back on topic, I'm curious as to whether that guy okayed everything through his Microsoft masters. I want my Mass Effect so bad!!!

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    FUCK.

call of duty 4 kane and lynch dead men

MY wallet ze goggles do nothing!!

that makes no sense but you get the point.

That Dave Fella on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Yes, yes. A thousand times yes. Daddy like.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Guys this is entirely on-topic but you should all buy Mass Effect.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    This is entirely off-topic, but everyone here should play Portal.

It's my GOTY so far.

This is how game threads become chat thread and I will not have it, Sir.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Guys this is entirely on-topic but you should all buy Mass Effect.

What kind of Effect will this have on the Masses?
    You see what I did there?
    I'm sorry :(

That Dave Fella on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

It's my GOTY so far.

Bah.

Bah I say.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's my GOTY so far.

We need to post the Lawful Evil pic every time someone goes off-topic or decides to argue with goomba.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's my GOTY so far.

Bah.

Bah I say.

But have you any wool, oh Black Sheep?

And on with the topic, I finally pre-ordered the LE of this today. I don't know why I'd been putting it off, it's not because I'm cautious about the game. Must just be because I have spent a lot on games, and plan to do more, so wanted to delay the inevitable as best as I can. As it is though, just a couple of weeks, and I'm pretty psyched.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

It's my GOTY so far.

Bah.

Bah I say.

But have you any wool, oh Black Sheep?

Nope. Sold it all to afford the November releases.

switzky21 on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So this week I'm working out of town and then on vacation until Monday the 11th. The LE strategy guide is supposed to ship on the 13th.

I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to stop myself from devouring the book before the game arrives. I'm not even a strategy guide kind of person, but I'm wanting to consume every little piece of info I can get about this game until I can play it. But the guide must be full of spoilers.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So... would this plus Rock Band plus Bioshock make a 360 worth it? I ask specifically about this because I haven't really been following it, and I know Rock Band will last me a long time and Bioshock not very long. Is this going to be pretty in-depth/replayable? I like the basic concept from what I've heard.

GimeC on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's my GOTY so far.

We need to post Houn's Lawful Evil pic every time someone goes off-topic or decides to argue with goomba.

Fixed. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GimeC wrote: »
    So... would this plus Rock Band plus Bioshock make a 360 worth it? I ask specifically about this because I haven't really been following it, and I know Rock Band will last me a long time and Bioshock not very long. Is this going to be pretty in-depth/replayable? I like the basic concept from what I've heard.

If you just play the storyline and do nothing on the side you're talking about 30-40 hours gameplay, but if you explore the game universe fully you're talking 80+ hours I think.

This really will be a big contender for GOTY.

That Dave Fella on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GimeC wrote: »

Dude yes. And the Orange Box (if you don't have the PC version), and Halo 3, and several other games including some very good stuff on XBLA.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just finished the prequel novel.

I liked it a lot. It got me really excited for the game.
    It's a shame Skarr is dead. I would've liked to kill him in the game. And they do a damn good job of making you hate Saren. If they give you a chance to kill him, I really hope there's an radial menu option labeled "Rape Skull" afterwards. Seriously, I really hate him.
    Also, what characters from the book are in the game?

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It's a shame Skarr is dead. I would've liked to kill him in the game. And they do a damn good job of making you hate Saren. If they give you a chance to kill him, I really hope there's an radial menu option labeled "Rape Skull" afterwards. Seriously, I really hate him.

Your Spoiler Question:
    David Anderson and Saren are obvious ones, but I haven't seen any mention of any other characters from the book being in-game yet. I wouldn't put it past them to throw in Kahlee, but we shall see.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    We need to post Houn's Lawful Evil pic every time someone goes off-topic or decides to argue with goomba.

I wish to buy this "Lawful Evil" IP. Let us begin negotiations.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Your Spoiler Question:
    David Anderson and Saren are obvious ones, but I haven't seen any mention of any other characters from the book being in-game yet. I wouldn't put it past them to throw in Kahlee, but we shall see.
    I figured Saren was a given, but I wasn't too sure about David Anderson. For a while I was thinking it would be cool if you were playing as David, but then it wouldn't allow for the freedom that Mass Effect is giving the player.

I'm really glad I picked up the book. I grabbed it on Saturday afternoon just 'cause I needed something to read and I'm getting pretty hyped for the game. It turned out to be much better than I thought it would be. And it was a damn quick read.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I wish to buy this "Lawful Evil" IP. Let us begin negotiations.

Oh, feel free to use it wherever. I'm just a whore for props from strangers on the internet.

Here's one I threw together for use whenever the Lesbian/Asexual debate occurs:
    ME_Les_Ackbar.jpg

Houn on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Your Spoiler Question:
    I figured Saren was a given, but I wasn't too sure about David Anderson. For a while I was thinking it would be cool if you were playing as David, but then it wouldn't allow for the freedom that Mass Effect is giving the player.

I'm really glad I picked up the book. I grabbed it on Saturday afternoon just 'cause I needed something to read and I'm getting pretty hyped for the game. It turned out to be much better than I thought it would be. And it was a damn quick read.
    Isn't Anderson the captain of your ship in Mass Effect?

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Your Spoiler Question:

Yes, he is.

Houn on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm actually in the same boat as alot of people with this. I'm going to be buying a 360 in the next few weeks, and I really think Mass Effect is going to be my first title. Actually getting pretty excited for it :)

KimFidler on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Your Spoiler Question:

Yes, he is.
    Could have sworn that Anderson was the one talking to Shepard in the trailer. Telling him that Saren is the threat.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tyberius wrote: »

Your Spoiler Question:

Yes, he is.
    Could have sworn that Anderson was the one talking to Shepard in the trailer. Telling him that Saren is the threat.
    Keith David is the voice of Anderson.

I know this because when I read the book his was the only voice that fit.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Re: The book
    Man, Saren was the only likeable character in that book. And, well, Skarr. All the other characters were written with the subtlety of a tactical nuke; I grew especially foul on the human characters after Goyle made her little speech to the council. I hope humanity gets its ass kicked in the game.

For anyone wondering, it's a decent intro to the universe based on the information you get on the characters and the technology, etc. But it's not very well-written; it's clear that Drew Karpyshyn is better at writing screenplays than an actual narrative, because the dialogue is good. It's just that the internal monologue and the omniscient PoV is pretty corny and groan-inducing sometimes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Your Spoiler Question:

Yes, he is.

Yes, he is.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »

Your Spoiler Question:

Yes, he is.
    Keith David is the voice of Anderson.

I know this because when I read the book his was the only voice that fit.
    For some reason, when reading the book I was picturing Barack Obama as Anderson.
    Most likely becaus he was on the TV in the background when I started reading. Keith David is a much better fit. I didn't know Anderson was in the game just 'cause I haven't watched any trailers or anything yet.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This thread is not allowed off of the first page until after the game releases.

So.. how about those Effects? I hear there's a lot of Mass to them.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This thread is not allowed off of the first page until after the game releases.

So.. how about those Effects? I hear there's a lot of Mass to them.

Sounds dangerous.

Closer and closer the glorious bounty comes

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Re: The book
    Man, Saren was the only likeable character in that book. And, well, Skarr. All the other characters were written with the subtlety of a tactical nuke; I grew especially foul on the human characters after Goyle made her little speech to the council. I hope humanity gets its ass kicked in the game.
    You're kidding, right? I mean, I agree with the last part there about humanity, but I'm always astonished by people that see Saren as anything but a poorly-drawn caricature of a crybaby sociopath.

Grid System on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, obviously. That doesn't mean he isn't the most interesting character in there, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Those pictures a few pages back were awesome. I really loved Kotor and I'm thinking I'm going to love this.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Well, obviously. That doesn't mean he isn't the most interesting character in there, though.
    Well I guess if you're into that sort of thing. :P I think the most interesting characters are the ones that only showed up once or twice. Probably because they only showed up once or twice.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like a case of Villain Decay to me.

The more a villain appears in a fiction, the less interesting and scary he becomes.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
This discussion has been closed.