Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Oh yeah. I picked up the Mass Effect preorder disc. Has 8 gamerpics and 2 themes. The music is nice, too.

if you online preorder, can you get this?

Not sure. You can probably send an email and ask about it.

I did. I'll let you guys know if I get a response.

According to this, if you buy the LE, you automatically get:
    A bonus DVD of exclusive Mass Effect background material and additional content including:
    "The Vision of Mass Effect documentary
    "The Making of Mass Effect documentary
    "Interactive Storytelling" documentary
    "Inside BioWare" documentary
    18 Mass Effect themed gamer pics (three unique sets of six)
    16 dashboard themes (four unique sets of four)
    Ten songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack
    Five historical Mass Effect trailers from X05 through E3 2007 and the official TV trailer
    A demo for "Blue Dragon" and videos for "Lost Odyssey," "Halo 3" and "Halo Wars"
    Design galleries featuring 600 concept images fully commented by the Art Directors

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    galenblade wrote: »
    Everyone check out the front page of ebgames.com and read the Mass Effect description.

Oh, that was made of win...win and marijuana.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Haha, that's awesome.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dammit. You guys made me order this. But I also ordered a bunch of other games too. There's no freakin' time!

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    But... but I wanted a thread that was both dangerous AND lonely. :(

God, I wish I had a 360. My flatmate has one, so I've managed to keep up on most of the newer games, but I asked him today when he was picking this up. "What's that? Never heard of it." He got the biggest :| ever.

Show him trailers. At gunpoint.

The closer the release date gets, the more this seems like a viable option.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Or just buy it yourself and play it on his 360? What's the issue here? Why does he have to buy it?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Or just buy it yourself and play it on his 360? What's the issue here? Why does he have to buy it?

i did the same thing (barring gunpoint) with my housemate's PS2 at uni when i didn't have one. Wouldn't buy a game for it, since i didn't own the console myself, and didn't want to buy a £40 game for a console i didn't own.
    That said, i wouldn't try and coax him into spending his money for my amusement, so we just rented stuff until i got one, and then i went nuts with the purchases.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm starting to get rather pumped, I just hope I enjoy the combat more than I did KOTR. Of course I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I played KOTR for 10 hours (just up until I became a Jedi) so if the combat is only a wee bit better I'm sure I'll fall in love.

I can't decide on a character, though. Currently I'm leaning towards a red headed Adapt named Jezebel Shepard. I might do one of the combo classes, though, so I can feel as if I'm experiencing more of the game in one run through. I haven't really read anything about how the skills work in the game, though. Will hybrids have access to fewer top tear abilities or will they have access to all of the same abilities but take longer to level them/not be able to reach max level in them?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

He's moving in February, and it's gonna be a long time before I can afford a 360. I don't really want to have a month or so of playing followed by (however long it takes to get a console) with the game staring me in the face.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I'm starting to get rather pumped, I just hope I enjoy the combat more than I did KOTR. Of course I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I played KOTR for 10 hours (just up until I became a Jedi) so if the combat is only a wee bit better I'm sure I'll fall in love.

I can't decide on a character, though. Currently I'm leaning towards a red headed Adapt named Jezebel Shepard. I might do one of the combo classes, though, so I can feel as if I'm experiencing more of the game in one run through. I haven't really read anything about how the skills work in the game, though. Will hybrids have access to fewer top tear abilities or will they have access to all of the same abilities but take longer to level them/not be able to reach max level in them?

Looking at the lists of talents they have access to and the leveling up shown in demos, the hybrid classes classes can level their abilities up as far as any of the pure classes, but they have access to fewer and what they have access to is more specialized due to their narrower focus in tech, biotics, or weapons.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

He's moving in February, and it's gonna be a long time before I can afford a 360. I don't really want to have a month or so of playing followed by (however long it takes to get a console) with the game staring me in the face.

Find another flatmate with a 360. Problem solved.

But in all seriousness, you should just go ahead and buy it. I bought Dead Rising when it came out even though I didn't have a 360 because my roommate didn't even want to think about playing it. I played it on his 360 and it turns out I didn't like it all that much, but he loved it. So I gave it to him as a birthday present. Win Win!

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Nastyman wrote: »

Find another flatmate with a 360. Problem solved.

But in all seriousness, you should just go ahead and buy it. I bought Dead Rising when it came out even though I didn't have a 360 because my roommate didn't even want to think about playing it. I played it on his 360 and it turns out I didn't like it all that much, but he loved it. So I gave it to him as a birthday present. Win Win!

He'll probably be busy with his own purchases, but I guess it's an option.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Without the 'gunpoint' bit i mentioned earlier, i was serious about showing him the trailers. If he doesn't know anything about Mass Effect, learn his punk ass. It does actually seem to have that effect on people, where they go "oooooh, what game's that?" then place money down straight away.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Also possible; he's pretty weak against shiny graphics.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I finally manned up and preordered today, even though I've been dying for this since I saw it.

You know, I'm thinking right now that I would give them many dollars extra if I had the option of turning on Original Star Wars Music on.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, it's a 360. You kinda do.

Sorta.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Here's EBgames confusing reply to my question of whether I could get a pre-order disc online:
    The bonus disk offered online and in stores on the regular edition does
    not include the same contents as the limited edition only available
    online. Unfortunately, we cannot issue both disk, the disk that is
    received will be in correspondence to the game that is ordered. We
    sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Someone was saying the LE had all the preorder stuff anyways though.

captaink on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It has more, hence the confusion. For example the regular edition has 12 'avatars' while the LE has 16.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I just picked up my pre-order disk. It's pretty neat!

The romance theme intrigues me for some reason. It seems very low-key and not overly happy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    want want want want want

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Has anyone gotten around to watching the mini documentary thing on the pre-order disc?

The dialogue stuff they show there is really impressive and the interactions between Shepard and Wrex when Shepard is being intimidating are really good with all the aggressive body language.

Is it November 20th yet?

EDIT: I can't stop obsessively revising the OP.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man I still have no 360 and I'm still buying the LE and guide book and I'm praying I'll be able to complete it in a month.

Also, Kaiden is looking good! Better than the Asari or Ashley, anyway.

Janson on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the limited edition guide book looks nice, but I haven't bought one of those since... well, since the disgaea one 'cause it was nice. so I guess I should go for it :D.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    :^:

That's the spirit!

Janson on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Free 2-day shipping the regular and LE at ebstop.com today.

What does the LE guide have?

captaink on
  • Options
    MuNansenMuNansen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Glad to see you guys excited to play ME. I worked on it up here at BioWare.

I've played through the game three times now (not including the hundreds of hours spent "playing" it while building it), and I'd be on a fourth if I weren't busy with the post-release stuff. Hope when it comes out you guys enjoy it as much as I did, which is more than any game I've ever played with the exception of Half Life 2, though they're COMPLETELY different games.

Beyond that I shouldn't say much.

MuNansen on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MuNansen wrote: »

I've played through the game three times now (not including the hundreds of hours spent "playing" it while building it), and I'd be on a fourth if I weren't busy with the post-release stuff. Hope when it comes out you guys enjoy it as much as I did, which is more than any game I've ever played with the exception of Half Life 2, though they're COMPLETELY different games.

On a scale of 1 to Alien Lesbians how good is Mass Effect?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    MuNansen wrote: »

On a scale of 1 to Alien Lesbians how good is Mass Effect?

I've actually been talking to a tester that had been working on ME and he's always vague about the game since I imagine he's still under NDA, but he says that even after months of crunch time and all the time he spent before that doing tedious tests and working incredibly long hours seven days a week, Mass Effect is still one of his top 10 favorite games.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So...on the scale it would be rated Gangbusters then...

I'm telling you kids...this game is going to sell like hotcakes...hotcakes filled with hotcakes!

*Puts on his overcoat and goes to check his stock ticker*

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm starting to get a little worried. I'm really psyched for Mass Effect, reading the book, everything like that. I went out the other day and rented Crackdown to waste some time.

During the section at the beginning where you can select your weapons and then go into the city, it lags a bit at the beginning. Then, once when I received one of the updates on my next target, the video and sound kept stuttering until I ended the video. Man. I really hope this is a problem with Crackdown and not my 360.

I'm going to keep playing the heck out of it this week, just in the hope that if it does break, it'll break now so I can get it fixed before ME comes out. Nothing will interrupt my launch day Mass Effect play!

Basically, I'm way too excited. Especially after seeing the interragation-at-gunpoint video.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh...that reminds me. Any word on the Mass Effect Disc count?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MuNansenMuNansen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The game fits on one disc...barely.

MuNansen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow...that amazing...especially since Blue Dragon had 3...Impressive.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Blue Dragon took up 3 discs because of there is a lot a lot of pre-rendered cut scenes. Mass Effect's are all in-engine I am pretty sure.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MargaretMargaret Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    I've actually been talking to a tester that had been working on ME and he's always vague about the game since I imagine he's still under NDA, but he says that even after months of crunch time and all the time he spent before that doing tedious tests and working incredibly long hours seven days a week, Mass Effect is still one of his top 10 favorite games.

This is really good to hear. I would imagine after that much time with a game, testers must come to absolutely hate most of the games they work on. I do not envy them their jobs.

Margaret on
    XBL: MagWheels
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    But the faces. Are the faces good?

I mean of course they're good, but how good is good? Really good? Good faces, right?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »

I mean of course they're good, but how good is good? Really good? Good faces, right?

The faces, I hear they are good.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »

The faces, I hear they are good.
    Good!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone know the difference between the guides? There's a "collector's" one and the normal. Rarely, if ever, have I wanted the collector's but I should just make sure.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    collector's one comes with a huge art book, it seems. and also something about shininess.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.