As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I'm not gonna spoil anything, but I am going to make a strong suggestion for those who are a little bit impatient and decide to jump right into the pre-made Shepherd when they first get the game.

DON'T DO IT.

Take the time to customize your character from the start. It's pretty fuckawesome how some of your choices affect the storyline and dialog.

There are so many jokes that could be made here.

edit: and I just watched that new trailer on gametrailers.. I don't even have the words. Outstanding.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    6 Days until Mass Effect but I doubt my 360 will get back from Microsoft in time. Oh well...

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why six?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    I don't really know it's just the place I'm buying it from releases it in 6 days.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
    edited November 2007
    I don't really know it's just the place I'm buying it from releases it in 6 days.

O_o
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Are you Scarab in disguise? Where is this hallowed boutique?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/1063394/Mass-Effect/Product.html I don't know whether they do international shipping though.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ahh...Play are a bit stupid though. And there delivery times suck.

WMain00 on
    edited November 2007
    They've always good for pre-orders though, at least they have for me. They can take a while though - not that it matters in this case me being without a 360.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
    edited November 2007
    From what I know about Play, you'll probably get the game right on launch day anyway. Which isn't a bad thing per se.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    Can i ask something in the general direction of people who have the game, and just in general. Has the external look of the Citadel station changed at all? One magazine had a completely different image of what it claimed was the Citadel.

Image check anyone? O_o

WMain00 on
    edited November 2007
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/1063394/Mass-Effect/Product.html I don't know whether they do international shipping though.

I've ordered with play too (also from the UK), but I took that release date as just an earlier one, and that they haven't changed it yet. I'd be very surprised if it came through on that day, rather than the friday. Surprised, but not disappointed.

edit: And yeah, play have always been good at getting a game to you on launch day. Hell, I thought I'd give gameplay a shot for my Halo 3 pre-order, paid extra for next-day delivery, and still got it on launch day (when they're normally good at getting it to you early). Because of that, I decided I'd go back to play who charge nothing extra, and I've always got it on launch day from them anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not gonna spoil anything, but I am going to make a strong suggestion for those who are a little bit impatient and decide to jump right into the pre-made Shepherd when they first get the game.

DON'T DO IT.

Take the time to customize your character from the start. It's pretty fuckawesome how some of your choices affect the storyline and dialog.

I take it they were actually thorough about it this time? I remember playing KOTOR2 and telling Atton that Revan was a girl. It was rather amusing because most of the VO work still said Revan was a he, but the text said she.

VoodooV on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »

DON'T DO IT.

I take it they were actually thorough about it this time? I remember playing KOTOR2 and telling Atton that Revan was a girl. It was rather amusing because most of the VO work still said Revan was a he, but the text said she.

Yes, it's quite thorough. The moment you confirm your custom character (with which you've selected a disposition/past/etc.), the intro starts right in and the dialog immediately reflects the character you've made. And it keeps popping up in later discussions, too. It's actually pretty crazy in its execution.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do most people not realize that KOTR2 wasn't a Bioware game?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Obsidian!

WMain00 on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Do most people not realize that KOTR2 wasn't a Bioware game?

No.

Dragkonias on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    why does everyone think Mass Effect is a 3rd person shooter

granted, if all you've seen is combat videos, and you haven't actually read anything about the game and were also living under a rock I could see

I just don't get it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007

granted, if all you've seen is combat videos, and you haven't actually read anything about the game and were also living under a rock I could see

I just don't get it

It's an alien lesbian sex game, dammit!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

I just don't get it

Well there goes the rest of the thread.

Now then, how to pass the time for ten days?

Docshifty on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I just don't get it

Because you use guns and not swurdz, lawlz!111!

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2007
    the solution is to not spend any time around stupid people

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Docshifty wrote: »

I just don't get it

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and both expansions and Tales of the Sword coast playthrough. that's what Im doing and oh lord is it good.
    No mass effect until the 16th at the earliest (my local store delivery date) and Crysis on the same day, and Creed.

So basically Im looking at Crysis, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed all being bought in one day, which is my birthday. Galaxy is out on the same day, the 16th.

So potentially 4 of the best games to be released this year, maybe even this generation, all arriving at my flat at the same time but I wont have chance to play them cause Ill be so drunk.

So, serious question now, which do I play first. Im not talking about 'play the best one first' Im talking about time management. Which one cries out to be stuck in my console/pc first that morning.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007
    I hope they do show a Technician fighting, since it seems to be a less combat oriented class when compared to the Soldier and Adept I would like to see its demonstration.

Dragkonias on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I just don't get it

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and both expansions and Tales of the Sword coast playthrough. that's what Im doing and oh lord is it good.
    No mass effect until the 16th at the earliest (my local store delivery date) and Crysis on the same day, and Creed.

So basically Im looking at Crysis, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed all being bought in one day, which is my birthday. Galaxy is out on the same day, the 16th.

So potentially 4 of the best games to be released this year, maybe even this generation, all arriving at my flat at the same time but I wont have chance to play them cause Ill be so drunk.

So, serious question now, which do I play first. Im not talking about 'play the best one first' Im talking about time management. Which one cries out to be stuck in my console/pc first that morning.

Mario first. It'll be the shortest. Then AC. Then Mass Effect. Sprinkle liberally with Crysis as needed.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    I want to get AC, but I don't want to get it just a week before ME, when I already don't get much time with the 360 during weekdays. Since I've already pre-ordered ME, I've decided I'll wait out AC until nearer Christmas (with CoD4 being the only other game I can think of that I want to get this year), and I decided today that I'll get Vampire: The Masquerade on Steam to tide me over. That, and I'll be playing copious amounts of skate, probably some Halo 3, and I've been keen to go back and play more Crackdown too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Jesus Christ I still have to beat twilight princess but Mario and AC next week plus all this CoD4 multiplayer I am playing asdkgdtjkl;yjf'yjed

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited November 2007
    http://uk.gamespot.com/video/930279/6182671/mass-effect-official-movie-7

Vanguard class combat video.

Also on the site is Soldier and Adept.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007
    MAKE WITH SENTINEL ALREADY

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    you know guys

the games will be there

you don't have to play them all at once

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still a bit torn on the matter of class selection. I'm trying to decide whether to go pure class or with one of the "hybrid" classes.. As it looks right now I'll probably go with the Vanguard or the pure Biotic class.

Silpheed on
    edited November 2007
    I want to get AC, but I don't want to get it just a week before ME, when I already don't get much time with the 360 during weekdays. Since I've already pre-ordered ME, I've decided I'll wait out AC until nearer Christmas (with CoD4 being the only other game I can think of that I want to get this year), and I decided today that I'll get Vampire: The Masquerade on Steam to tide me over. That, and I'll be playing copious amounts of skate, probably some Halo 3, and I've been keen to go back and play more Crackdown too.

Just try not to rush through it to beat it before going to ME. Bloodlines deserves better.

I'm seriously going to be swamped. I'll be getting my 360 either the 20th or earlier that week, coupled with about 500 in spending monies on games for it. It'll be glorious and I may never be seen again.

Docshifty on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I just don't get it

What I've heard suggests you may be overrating Crysis a little there.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

I just don't get it

What I've heard suggests you may be overrating Crysis a little there.

Shaun from GFW said it was an absolute essential purchase if you want to have an opinion on FPS games for the next 5 years.

And from what I've played, I am tending to agree with him. Graphics aside, it is really very, very good.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007
    Don't be silly, Sentinels don't fight. They sit back and shine the guns and armour for the other two in the party.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    I'm excited to roll sentinel. It'll be just like my scout/sentinel from kotor 1. or my sentinel/watchman from kotor 2.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    Don't be silly, Sentinels don't fight. They sit back and shine the guns and armour for the other two in the party.

fuck you I'm rolling with a shotgun

fuck advanced weapons training, shotgun to the face doesn't need skill points

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007

fuck you I'm rolling with a shotgun

fuck advanced weapons training, shotgun to the face doesn't need skill points

I just picture somebody shooting themselves in the face and then cursing "Damn you skill points!"

Docshifty on
    edited November 2007
    First time I play through, I want to be shooting things. I think I shall go Vanguard. When I play through for a second time, when I'm more aware of what I'm doing, I may either go Sentinel or one of the two classes that comprise it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    I'll probably go through like this

sentinel, vanguard, adept, engineer, infiltrator, and then soldier

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.