Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not going to demean myself by buying a strategy guide, I don't care how pretty the concept art is.

I've never found it demeaning. Yeah, I usually try and play through the game the first time without one, but I've never felt bad about looking at gamefaqs or whatever for help/hints. I don't have a lot of time to waste and I get frustrated easily which only impairs my enjoyment.

The first time I played KotOR2 I missed out on so much because I didn't want to sift through every dialogue option to work out the influence system, so I used the influence guide.

The first time I played through BG2 I missed out on a couple of side quests, I now use the FAQ to make sure I get everything in every area.
    Pancake wrote: »
    I've actually been talking to a tester that had been working on ME and he's always vague about the game since I imagine he's still under NDA, but he says that even after months of crunch time and all the time he spent before that doing tedious tests and working incredibly long hours seven days a week, Mass Effect is still one of his top 10 favorite games.

Awesome, always good to hear.

Man, really really shouldn't get too hyped for this game. Man the time from 20th November to the 9th December is going to be torture, absolute torture.

I might have to block certain people on AIM just so they don't get tempted to gloat. :x

Janson on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    The first time I played through BG2 I missed out on a couple of side quests, I now use the FAQ to make sure I get everything in every area.

Now I fell pathetic because when I want to get everything in every area of BG2, I just do it because I've played it so many times I'm intimately familiar with every quest in every area of the game. :(

I also can't stop changing the OP. Why can't I stop? What is this strange compulsion? It's never worked like this before. Is this what madness is like?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Now I fell pathetic because when I want to get everything in every area of BG2, I just do it because I've played it so many times I'm intimately familiar with every quest in every area of the game. :(

I also can't stop changing the OP. Why can't I stop? What is this strange compulsion? It's never worked like this before. Is this what madness is like?

You are not pathetic, you just realise that BG2 is the best game to have been created. I just hope ME can take its place.

And we may need to form MEA - Mass Effect Anonymous.

>_>

<_<

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting info on party members added to the OP?

Janson on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not going to demean myself by buying a strategy guide, I don't care how pretty the concept art is.

You're going to want it for the Japanese version.

The Japanese release of ME is going to include completely arbitrary circumstances that are easy to screw up for retrieving some of the best weapons in the game and the game will never tell you you're doing something wrong. And there will be totally illogical scavenger hunts for pieces of legendary equipment. You may or may not also be required to grind away at a specific task for 15-20 hours to retrieve some powerful items.

It'll be pretty cool. No word on if they're changing the art style, but these changes are why they don't know the Japanese release date yet and you'll definitely want the strategy guide if you're going to import it.

i'm now picturing the character creation process for a Japanified version of Mass Effect. It's funny, in my head.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't suppose there's any chance of getting info on party members added to the OP?

Well, we don't actually know much of anything of any of them except Ashley and Wrex. Kaiden and Garrus we don't actually know anything about, and little is known about Liara. There is supposed to be a sixth possible party member, but we don't even know their name.

Unless I'm mistaken, anyway.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fair enough!

I'll have to stop being lazy and do some sleuthing and see if I can find out more/find any rumours for myself then ;)

Janson on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That would be a cool concept, and hopefully that's in in some form (although that'd likely breed ridiculously overpowered characters), but still ++ games or reusable content and unlockables just make repeat playthroughs all the cooler...although that particular bonus seems partially unlikely if you get to use the same character again in sequels.

Actually, about this, in a few videos of character creation, they actually show the player selecting a bonus ability after they select a class and before they choose the abilities they start out specialized in like normal, but the bonus abilities listed are limited in number (it's only shown four displayed, I believe) and are not skills associated with the selected class.

That could very well be what happens with those achievements and only being allowed to select one doesn't sound like it would be incredibly game breaking.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    i'm now picturing the character creation process for a Japanified version of Mass Effect. It's funny, in my head.

Because there's not one. Commander Shepard is a 13-year old with spiky hair and a sword. That's a gun. That's made from the essence of a diety.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Tomanta wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Because there's not one. Commander Shepard is a 13-year old with spiky hair and a sword. That's a gun. That's made from the essence of a diety.

maybe you can choose 'background', too.

a) "..."
    b) "...."

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not really sure how to balance this out with rock band play time, especially considering how they come out on exactly the same day.

Maybe keep rock band solo play at a minimum at first and resort to mass effect every time no one else is around?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    MargaretMargaret Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Saw a commercial during the baseball game last night for the 360's holiday line up. There was a shot of Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Halo 3 on a coffee table. Just laying there! Ooooo, if only I could have reached into the TV screen and grabbed that copy of Mass Effect.

How much longer? 25 days is it?

Margaret on
    XBL: MagWheels
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Margaret wrote: »
    Saw a commercial during the baseball game last night for the 360's holiday line up. There was a shot of Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Halo 3 on a coffee table. Just laying there! Ooooo, if only I could have reached into the TV screen and grabbed that copy of Mass Effect.

If only they had managed to work out the kinks of wonkavision...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Margaret wrote: »

24 days by my count... but then I'm in the future (Australia).

devoir on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not really sure how to balance this out with rock band play time, especially considering how they come out on exactly the same day.

Maybe keep rock band solo play at a minimum at first and resort to mass effect every time no one else is around?

Tell me about it.

Though Ill have Crysis up in the mix too.

Im fearing game fatigue so hard.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a list of abilities and what they do anywhere yet? The Wikipedia article didn't have much of anything.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Is there a list of abilities and what they do anywhere yet? The Wikipedia article didn't have much of anything.

The demo that went up a few weeks ago has a dozen on show, no descriptions but just some guy using them and describing what they do while in combat.

Gametrailers is probably your best bet.

But like you said, there havent been many shown.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Tell me about it.

Though Ill have Crysis up in the mix too.

Im fearing game fatigue so hard.

we don't get Rock Band until next year though, unless you're going to get it months early (like usual, it seems)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »
    This game was not made by men, but willed into existence by the Gods themselves.

QFT.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »

What they do? No, not yet. Many of them are self-explanatory, though.

The list of the abilities and their associated classes is in the OP. It looks like what goes with which class may have changed slightly since BioWare posted the class information in the Galactic Codex, but it's still what they have up, so the OP is as accurate as you're going to get outside of obsessive video watching and that would only help with the Vanguard class.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Picked up empire magazine today, had a shitload of gaming ads in there.

the mass effect one had a picture of the galaxy, with labels coming from like three dozen stars each one saying 'SOS' or 'Signal Lost'

the tagline at the bottom was 'Dilemma doesnt even begin to describe it: Mass Effect, coming soon!'

There was also a hilarious Lair one whose tagline, Im not joking, was 'To master the dragon requires control, clearly something you need to work on my darling'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As usual I'm completely incapable of making my own decisions...

Mass Effect, or Assassins Creed?

I only have enough cash for two games late next month. Super Mario Galaxy will be one of them.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

the mass effect one had a picture of the galaxy, with labels coming from like three dozen stars each one saying 'SOS' or 'Signal Lost'

the tagline at the bottom was 'Dilemma doesnt even begin to describe it: Mass Effect, coming soon!'

There was also a hilarious Lair one whose tagline, Im not joking, was 'To master the dragon requires control, clearly something you need to work on my darling'

This ad?

ad1xs6.jpg

Or a newer one? That one's been around since April.

It was also the first time BioWare showed Ashley without her helmet on and because her hair looks short there (it was actually in a ponytail), everyone on the official forum started pitching a fit. Some people even said they weren't going to buy the game if the female romanceable character had a buzzcut.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

This ad?

ad1xs6.jpg

It's been around since April.

It was also the first time BioWare showed Ashley without her helmet on and because her hair looks short there (it was actually in a ponytail), everyone on the official forum started pitching a fit. Some people even said they weren't going to buy the game if the female romanceable character had a buzzcut.

Its like that one yea. Ive never seen it before. Still awesome.8-)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

i'd seen the Mass Effect one before somewhere, and it's awesome. Funny, too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some people even said they weren't going to buy the game if the female romanceable character had a buzzcut.

What the fuck? Why are people so dumb?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I only have enough cash for two games late next month. Super Mario Galaxy will be one of them.

You came into the Mass Effect thread to ask?

I'll just let you decide from this: The ME thread is filled with people incredibly optimistic about the game and being incredibly excited for it. The last Assassin's Creed thread was filled with arguments and a large portion of the posters thinking it looked kind of lackluster.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I don't see how that's even a question.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I don't see how that's even a question.

The answer is clearly all 3.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Some people even said they weren't going to buy the game if the female romanceable character had a buzzcut.

What's wrong with buzzcuts?
    I've had a thing for buzzcuts and short hair ever since Gozer the Traveler.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You came into the Mass Effect thread to ask?

I'll just let you decide from this: The ME thread is filled with people incredibly optimistic about the game and being incredibly excited for it. The last Assassin's Creed thread was filled with arguments and a large portion of the posters thinking it looked kind of lackluster.

Thank you! ME it is then.

ME I'd be buying based off of how damn fun it looks. Assassin's Creed only keeps popping into my head 'cause I like the look of the main character. Just about every piece of news I see about the game is about how one of the producers is hot.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Or Angelina Jolie in Hackers. Or Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta.

Back on the topic of danger and lonliness: That print ad makes me think
    There must be a large scale attack/invasion at some point in the game, with all the SOS/signal lost captions. Sorry if this is old news, I only know the very basic framework of the storyline (you're the first human spectre agent, the geth, another race that's returning after a thousand years) as I'm saving it all up for when the game comes out.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

See, for me it was Vasquez.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

What the fuck? Why are people so dumb?

Well, it is an official forum. Those don't tend to attract the highest caliber of people.

These are also the same people that spent weeks trying to figure out what the glow and the alien text behind Shepard on the cover art was meant to symbolize. The same people that claim Mass Effect: Revelation is the best book ever written. The same people that made 50 threads a day asking what the release date was when there was a sticky that said there was no release date and it was against the forum rules to make release date threads and it was made obvious that was so. The same people that grew angry at BioWare for only giving out more information on the game about once a week instead of every day. The same people that are often bitter and angry at BioWare for not making the combat turn-based because if you're allowed to aim yourself, it ceases to involve role-playing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah but have they made terrible naked fan art yet?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Holy shit. I just IMDB'ed her to see what else she'd been in. I had no idea she played John Connor's foster mom in Terminator 2. Talk about a change of appearance. Shit.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »

I don't know about naked, but there was an "Asari calender" thread at one point and it filled up with fanart of barely dressed Asari.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Holy shit. I just IMDB'ed her to see what else she'd been in. I had no idea she played John Connor's foster mom in Terminator 2. Talk about a change of appearance. Shit.
    Yeah, I didn't notice that till like my 137th time watching T2.

Totally different from Vasquez.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »

I don't know about naked, but there was an "Asari calender" thread at one point and it filled up with fanart of barely dressed Asari.
    What about blooming love in mouths? None of that, I assume.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

COMPLETELY! I watched Terminator 2 every day after school for a year when it came out on video, and I just watched Aliens and Terminator 2 within a few days of eachother last week with my wife and I didn't put it together....

Another thing I didn't realize 'till my last time watching Terminator 2. That scene when the T1000 is chopping celery while disguised as John Connor's foster mom, and he tells John over the phone that he's making beef stew.

I bet if he'd finished it, that beef stew would've tasted fucking awesome.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007

COMPLETELY! I watched Terminator 2 every day after school for a year when it came out on video, and I just watched Aliens and Terminator 2 within a few days of eachother last week with my wife and I didn't put it together....

Another thing I didn't realize 'till my last time watching Terminator 2. That scene when the T1000 is chopping celery while disguised as John Connor's foster mom, and he tells John over the phone that he's making beef stew.

I bet if he'd finished it, that beef stew would've tasted fucking awesome.

:lol:

The_Scarab on
This discussion has been closed.