Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

1679111264

Posts

  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't, which is why it's so terrible - because I have one available to me for a month so if that dies it won't be repaired in time!

    Janson on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    i got a 360. turn it on: three red rings. FREAKING OUT turn it off. turn it on. No red rings. I'm still on for mass effect.

    I for one look forward to refreshingly prudish game design

    Just don't turn it on until Mass Effect comes.

    Actually, you should use it.

    Because if its going to brick, it will brick regardless of whether you use it.

    So either it will brick, and you want to get it over with so you get a fresh one back for ME, or it wont, and you get to play games for 3 weeks.

    I havent heard anything concrete on a correlation between using your 360 a lot or a little and the chances of RROD. From what I can tell, RROD is nigh on random and use of the console has little effect (except of course not using it at all probably reduces chances a little)

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    well to be fair the failure rate on new 360s is much much lower, nigh on inconsequential.

    the only ones still RRODing are refurbs and older 360s.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    only consoles that ever failed on me were ps2 and OXbox

    Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Hi. Welcome to the thread. For your edification, they have fixed all this crap.

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I guess I'm used to these things(though thank goodness this hasn't happen to me). I mean last generation the PS2's lens were so crappy(honestly went through 4 PS2s) and they didn't seem to really fix that until the slim came out. Not saying that's an excuse...but just saying this stuff has happened before. But...this isn't a 360 hardware thread so whatever.

    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"

    Anyway I had dream that I was going to buy Mass Effect because it was release day and I got closer and closer to my gamestop and then my dream ended before I could taste the sweet nectar. D:

    Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had a dream about Mass Effect the other night. I dreamed there was a texture glitch that meant bits of Shepard's armour would spontaneously disappear and be replaced with MAN MUSCLE. I was getting annoyed and I asked someone why that was happening, and they told me it was actually a feature.

    Please, no one attempt to analyse this.

    Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You insanity is directly proportional to which gender the sheperd in your dream was.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    But if you buy one now it works sooo

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Anecdotal lol?

    Im on my first 360 which Ive had for nearly 2 years.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DiggomaniacDiggomaniac Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone here preorder the Limited Edition online? Do you know if they send you the bonus disk along with the package before/with the LE or at all? Just curious.

    First time I'm actually paying $70 for a 360 game, but the soundtrack is so worth the extra ten dollars

    Diggomaniac on
    360 Gamertag - Diggomaniac
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Is the LE online only everywhere, or just with Gamestop? I have the game preordered through Game Crazy and want the LE.

    Also, what's this preorder disc? I haven't heard anything about it.

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Anecdotal lol?

    Im on my first 360 which Ive had for nearly 2 years.
    I've worked at two different game companies in the last 2 years. My team at EA was constantly replacing 360s more then any other console (I think I went through four in my eight months there). Factor in that I've met and shared at least a dozen red light stories with different coworkers at both place I've worked, it seems laughable for me to discount these experiences and my own personal ones with my own 360(s) as coincidental.

    anecdotal lol to your two years.

    Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, am I missing it, or is there just nowhere to get the 360 w/ HDMI that's not in a bundle? I want a 360, and I want Mass Effect, and, well, that's about the extent of it. I can't bring myself to give a flying fuck about Forza or that craptaacular M:UA game that they've been retreading for, oh, since Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

    Checked all the local places; nothing but that damned Bundle. Looks like NewEgg and EBgames.com. Amazon's got a non-bundled one, but it's still $350. Surely there's something that's just the Arcade with a hard drive out there, isn't there?

    Seems like a crappy choice, now. No hard drive for $280, or two shitty games and a 20GB hard drive for $100 more.

    s3rial one on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    craptaacular M:UA game
    This, is like, me and my friends favorite 360 multiplayer ever.

    Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    So, am I missing it, or is there just nowhere to get the 360 w/ HDMI that's not in a bundle? I want a 360, and I want Mass Effect, and, well, that's about the extent of it. I can't bring myself to give a flying fuck about Forza or that craptaacular M:UA game that they've been retreading for, oh, since Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

    Checked all the local places; nothing but that damned Bundle. Looks like NewEgg and EBgames.com. Amazon's got a non-bundled one, but it's still $350. Surely there's something that's just the Arcade with a hard drive out there, isn't there?

    Seems like a crappy choice, now. No hard drive for $280, or two shitty games and a 20GB hard drive for $100 more.

    The $350 one? That's the Premium. If you want a hard drive, that's what you're getting. If you buy an Arcade and then buy a hard drive, you're going to pay more than if you just bought a Premium. But hey, five free XBLA games! I don't know what they are, but they're no Mass Effect.

    Buy a Premium, it's basically the extent of your options if you want the hard drive. Unless you want a bigger hard drive and a console covered in black plastic instead of white. Or the Halo 3 one, I guess. But that's a more expensive Premium.

    Any recently manufactured ones should also have an HDMI port.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Anecdotal lol?

    Im on my first 360 which Ive had for nearly 2 years.
    I've worked at two different game companies in the last 2 years. My team at EA was constantly replacing 360s more then any other console (I think I went through four in my eight months there). Factor in that I've met and shared at least a dozen red light stories with different coworkers at both place I've worked, it seems laughable for me to discount these experiences and my own personal ones with my own 360(s) as coincidental.

    anecdotal lol to your two years.
    Yeah, that's still anecdotal. That, and I say again, they fixed them. Soooo

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Anecdotal lol?

    Im on my first 360 which Ive had for nearly 2 years.
    I've worked at two different game companies in the last 2 years. My team at EA was constantly replacing 360s more then any other console (I think I went through four in my eight months there). Factor in that I've met and shared at least a dozen red light stories with different coworkers at both place I've worked, it seems laughable for me to discount these experiences and my own personal ones with my own 360(s) as coincidental.

    anecdotal lol to your two years.

    well that's exactly my point. mine anecdote was as anecdotal as yours.

    you acted in the first post of this tangent that ALL 360s brick, or that the percentage is sufficiently high for it to be called an inevitability.

    this is simply not the case.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Anecdotal lol?

    Im on my first 360 which Ive had for nearly 2 years.
    I've worked at two different game companies in the last 2 years. My team at EA was constantly replacing 360s more then any other console (I think I went through four in my eight months there). Factor in that I've met and shared at least a dozen red light stories with different coworkers at both place I've worked, it seems laughable for me to discount these experiences and my own personal ones with my own 360(s) as coincidental.

    anecdotal lol to your two years.

    well that's exactly my point. mine anecdote was as anecdotal as yours.

    you acted in the first post of this tangent that ALL 360s brick, or that the percentage is sufficiently high for it to be called an inevitability.

    this is simply not the case.

    You know, extolling the fact that one's console has lasted for two years, when most older consoles have lasted for Goddamn EVER is pretty silly.


    Guess what? My SNES has been working for over 9 years.

    EDIT: Most likely longer. I don't remember what year I got it.

    EDIT2: And my Genesis has been working for 17 years.

    MechMantis on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hear this game has boobs or something.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This entire conversation is stupid and ruining this great thread about this game. Stop being retards, retards.

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I was doing just fine and dandy until you guys started mentioning failing 360s and now I'm afraid that could happen to me and arrrrgh D:

    This stuff right here is the number one reason I'm unwilling to make the jump to 360. It shouldn't be too much to expect a console to just work. A failure rate this high is completely unacceptable, and as much as I want mass effect, I am not geting a 360 until they finally fix all this crap.

    Define High failure rate please. To quote Peter Moore "Ya know things break"
    "High failure rate" is when I'm on my third 360 six months after buying it. :p

    Anecdotal lol?

    Im on my first 360 which Ive had for nearly 2 years.
    I've worked at two different game companies in the last 2 years. My team at EA was constantly replacing 360s more then any other console (I think I went through four in my eight months there). Factor in that I've met and shared at least a dozen red light stories with different coworkers at both place I've worked, it seems laughable for me to discount these experiences and my own personal ones with my own 360(s) as coincidental.

    anecdotal lol to your two years.

    well that's exactly my point. mine anecdote was as anecdotal as yours.

    you acted in the first post of this tangent that ALL 360s brick, or that the percentage is sufficiently high for it to be called an inevitability.

    this is simply not the case.

    You know, extolling the fact that one's console has lasted for two years, when most older consoles have lasted for Goddamn EVER is pretty silly.


    Guess what? My SNES has been working for over 9 years.

    EDIT: Most likely longer. I don't remember what year I got it.

    My SNES still works. As does my Mega Drive, my original Gameboy and a whole host of other old systems (Atari ST!)

    But to flat out say you arent going to buy a 360 because of the known failure rate, which is, of course, not known, is madness. I mean he said he worked at EA and had a lot of 360s break, so Im going to assume he isnt some joe madden idiot off the street who knows nothing about games. So it makes his comments even more strange.

    I mean, im not saying the RROD is to be ignored, it is a serious consideration to erm, consider. But to not buy a 360 altogether because, apparently, it will definitely brick in the future (replaced for free even so) is weird.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Can we get back to talking about the boobs?
    I was going to put some ASCII art boobs in here, but decided I probably didn't want a serious infraction.

    At least not today

    Lewisham on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    s3rial one wrote: »
    So, am I missing it, or is there just nowhere to get the 360 w/ HDMI that's not in a bundle? I want a 360, and I want Mass Effect, and, well, that's about the extent of it. I can't bring myself to give a flying fuck about Forza or that craptaacular M:UA game that they've been retreading for, oh, since Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

    Checked all the local places; nothing but that damned Bundle. Looks like NewEgg and EBgames.com. Amazon's got a non-bundled one, but it's still $350. Surely there's something that's just the Arcade with a hard drive out there, isn't there?

    Seems like a crappy choice, now. No hard drive for $280, or two shitty games and a 20GB hard drive for $100 more.

    The $350 one? That's the Premium. If you want a hard drive, that's what you're getting. If you buy an Arcade and then buy a hard drive, you're going to pay more than if you just bought a Premium. But hey, five free XBLA games! I don't know what they are, but they're no Mass Effect.

    Buy a Premium, it's basically the extent of your options if you want the hard drive. Unless you want a bigger hard drive and a console covered in black plastic instead of white. Or the Halo 3 one, I guess. But that's a more expensive Premium.

    Any recently manufactured ones should also have an HDMI port.

    Yeah, they don't sell them exclusively in bundles anymore, they haven't for a long time.

    captaink on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just finished the book, I'm now super pumped for this game. I'm also replaying KotOR for my Bioware fix.

    The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone have any idea what class they want to play first? I'm thinking of going engineer so I can mess around with enemy technology, or possibly an adept. I have to get my hands on that book as well.

    MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what class they want to play first? I'm thinking of going engineer so I can mess around with enemy technology, or possibly an adept. I have to get my hands on that book as well.

    A soldier, I have a feeling assault rifles and shotguns are going to be fun

    The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been thinking about Vanguard or Infiltrator but I can't decide between the two. I may just end up going soldier, but I'm not sure about playing a character that relies purely on weaponry.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm thinking of going vanguard or soldier first. Just so I can not be killed so fast

    Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what class they want to play first? I'm thinking of going engineer so I can mess around with enemy technology, or possibly an adept. I have to get my hands on that book as well.

    I'm going through the first time as Male, Earthborn, Ruthless Soldier.

    Pretty much Space Bauer going on.

    LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It says there's something like 6 more unlockable classes right? I find this...odd.

    Any way, depending on how the skill sets are layed out I'll probably go Infiltrator or Sentinel, depending on how offense oriented they are.

    Ideally, if I could set all the skills myself, I'd play a really offense oriented Sentinel but I'm not sure if that's possible.

    Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Have there been any videos on what the engineer abilities are?

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There's been some videos where the omni-tool was used, but I dunno which ones exactly.

    Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone know if the enemies auto upgrade themselves like in Oblivion?

    MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone know if the enemies auto upgrade themselves like in Oblivion?

    No, I mean, I don't know.

    but I assume not.
    incidentally... I'm so sorry

    Greeper on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Well either way I bet it's better than just picking guys up.

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    It says there's something like 6 more unlockable classes right? I find this...odd.

    Any way, depending on how the skill sets are layed out I'll probably go Infiltrator or Sentinel, depending on how offense oriented they are.
    In addition, if you play well enough to survive the physical and political dangers of the galaxy, you will gain the ability to unlock six more specialization classes later in the game.

    It kind of makes it sound like prestige classes or something similar in that you can't select them in the beginning, but you can change to it later on, but that could very well be wrong since BioWare has refused to saying anything about it in the past.

    And I still can't help but flounder when trying to think of which class to play. See, soldier and vanguard and maybe adept seem perfect for Shepard. They're combat classes that do little but fight. Their skills are oriented towards killing things quickly and protecting themselves from damage. Perfect for someone to distinguish themselves.

    The infiltrator also works as Shepard, as experience with wet work would probably be an ideal thing for a Spectre candidate to have.

    But the engineer and the sentinel really don't seem to fit as Shepard. As the other characters? Sure, but not someone being considered to be a Spectre. What makes Shepard the engineer uniquely qualified to be a Spectre agent? Well, he can put your bandages on real nice! Have you ever seen such a pretty bandaging job? I bet you haven't! And the sentinel just has very little offensive capability to begin with.

    They seem to be very support-ish, not someone at the forefront of anything, really. They don't seem very self-sufficient or capable of doing much of anything on their own, which seems to be kind of the Spectre's forte.

    EDIT:
    Does anyone know if the enemies auto upgrade themselves like in Oblivion?

    They may a little. Baldur's Gate 2 does this to a degree and even KOTOR does. BioWare has always been pretty good about making their games scale but keeping it subtle, so your levels do actually mean something, but they never mean so much that the entire game falls apart and you're a walking death machine, at least until the end. Well, maybe KOTOR didn't achieve that as well as their past games, but it would have been an easy game even without it.

    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.