As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paranoia: Server started, come chat

RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
Greetings,
Well, since you've clicked on this link and visit this forum I'm gonna assume 2 things about you.
1)You are a gamer who likes to tabletop play
2)You have at least heard of portal, congratulations; you also liked it (non-debatable)

In honor of portal i though it would have been a good idea to start a thread for players of everyones favorite table top (not really) RPG featuring an insane computer "Paranoia"

Well what is Paranoia?
Paranoia is a humorous role-playing game set in a dystopian future; the tone of the game is rife with black humor, frequently tongue-in-cheek rather than dark and heavy. -Wikipedia

Its playable over the internet using a client called Jparanoia.

But that barely captures what paranoia really is.

Well lets start off with the simple stuff then; who am I?
You are
1) a citizen of Alpha Complex
2) a troubleshooter-
a collection of individuals brought together to hunt out trouble in the name of The Computer, being a trouble shooter means your life will probably be short, very short
3) a Mutant
4) a Communist
5) a member of a secret society

Whoa whoa, What do you mean my life will be short?
Oh no need to worry, all troubleshooters are supplied with 6 backup clones in case of emergency.

Well what about that other stuff?
Being a mutant, communist and/ or member of a secret society is illegal, the punishment is death

What, why?
Because the computer said so.

The computer?
Yes, the computer is in charge of all aspects of life in Alpha Complex.

But why does it hate mutants, communists and members of secret societies?
Because it cares so much, the computer just wants whats best for you, any subversion is definitely not good for any one, especially god-fearing, capitalist, non-mutated, computer-fearing citizens of Alpha Complex.
You see, around the time civilization collapsed, The Computer mistakenly thought that it was under nuclear attack from the long-gone USSR. It's never been quite the same ever since.

This sounds a bit like one of those dystopia things.
Oh but Alpha Complex is a Utopia, The Computer says so.

The Computer sounds wacko to me!
The Computer has been programmed by many different people. Important people with high-level security clearances named ULTRAVIOLET Programmers. Unfortunately, these people often have conflicting interests and that means The Computer is a mixture of many different personalities, fears and desires. This makes The Computer a little... unpredictable.

Well what is Alpha Complex?
Alpha complex is an enormous underground bunker located where modern day San Fransisco now stands.

Didn't you say something about security clearances?
Absolutely! Everyone in Alpha Complex has a security clearance. Your security clearance more or less determines where and how you live your entire life as an Alpha Complex citizen.

What are they?
The security clearances from lowest rank to highest are
... INFRARED
... RED
... ORANGE
... YELLOW
... GREEN
... BLUE
... INDIGO
... VIOLET
... ULTRAVIOLET
So how does the life of, say, a RED citizen differ from a VIOLET citizen?
In just about every aspect! Citizens can only (legally) make use of items that are marked for his or her security clearance or lower. So, a RED citizen can only go into areas that are marked RED (or lower), for instance. He can only eat in RED mess halls, use RED equipment and request information available to RED citizens. Which isn't a hell of a lot.

The quality of goods and services differ greatly across the security spectrum too. Whereas an INDIGO citizen would enjoy his own apartment, for example, a RED citizen is obliged to sleep in a dormitory with many other RED citizens.

Perhaps most importantly, citizens are able to give orders to anyone of a lower security clearance. This makes someone of a high security clearance very powerful. Failure to obey the orders of a superior security clearance is treason. Treason is punishable by summary execution.

I meant to ask you before, what's with the funny names?
Ah, good question. Every citizen's name follows a convention laid down by Friend Computer. Let's take your name, for example - Mac-R-THY-1.
From your name I can tell that you are a RED citizen, that you originate from the THY Sector of Alpha Complex and that you are the first clone from your clone family.

Wow! That's clever! How'd you do that?
Hmm. You can't really be this dumb, surely? Ok, let's break it down. The first part of your name is just that - your name. In your case it's Mac. The second part of the name gives your security clearance. For you it's R which of course stands for RED.

And what's a Troubleshooter?
Troubleshooters are teams of citizens put together to hunt out and deal with trouble. In Paranoia, you play the part of a Troubleshooter. Members of Troubleshooter squads are recruited from all different services and sectors. In fact, there is no specific Troubleshooting service. I'll leave you to speculate about whether this has something to do with casualty rates or not though speculation, much like rumour, is treason. Naturally.

It's also worth mentioning that although a Troubleshooter you also will have worked for a particular service. So before you became a Troubleshooter you may have emptied the bins at the offices of CPU (the beurocratics of Alpha Complex) or cleaned the rifles of a Vulture Squadron in the Army. Your choice of service will to a certain extent have an effect on your characters skills and statistics.

The Computer decides where the Troubleshooter teams are deployed. It is an honour to serve as a Troubleshooter. It's also incredibly dangerous. Troubleshooter missions are extremely varied. one minute you might be hunting down the source of treasonous murders in the sewers of Alpha Complex, the next you might be flying around in the Outdoors trying to subdue Giant Mutant Cockroaches. on the other hand, your mission might just be to paint a white corridor black. Just remember that in Alpha Complex nothing is ever as simple as it might first appear.

So how did I become a Troubleshooter?
Most likely you turned in a friend for treason. For this you received a promotion from INFRARED to RED and became attached to a Troubleshooter unit. For a lot of INFRAREDs, this is the only route to a higher rank. It does mean however that most Troubleshooters are lying, backstabbing bastards who'd sell their own team mate for half a bottle of Bouncy Bubble Beverage. Especially their own team mate, in fact!

Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Recoilless on

• Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    *cue Tella-O-MLY theme song*

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I did not read that whole thing fellow citizen but I would love to play a game of paranoia.

Only if I have the clearance.

If I don't I never said anything.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This thread is a HUGE SUCCESS. I would love to play, so long as it doesn't start before this Sunday.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game requires six players, FYI. Well, not really requires, but it is more fun that way.

I would like to play, though I am unfamiliar with Jparanoia.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man, I remember my first game of Paranoia. We were hopping onto a train full of reds, and one of my teammates shouted for everyone to get the hell off. I got angry because I didn't like the way he was doing things, and it eventually came down to me pulling a gun on him. We exchanged gunfire for a short while before I activated my mech suit thing. I was kicking his ass when he threw an incendiary grenade at me. I couldn't leave the suit so I melted.

Good times.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Be a bit more specific with the WHEN and the WHERE and I'll let you know.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man, I remember my first game of Paranoia. We were hopping onto a train full of reds, and one of my teammates shouted for everyone to get the hell off. I got angry because I didn't like the way he was doing things, and it eventually came down to me pulling a gun on him. We exchanged gunfire for a short while before I activated my mech suit thing. I was kicking his ass when he threw an incendiary grenade at me. I couldn't leave the suit so I melted.

Good times.

HAHAHA

Yeah that was me.

That was pretty epic. I remember you almost got out of your suit, but I hit the button again to keep it on you. Boiled alive....

:D

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Okay, so it seems that there is a fair amount of interest so I will try to get a game up this Sunday around 2 it should be listed on paranoia-live.net. It will be obvious that it is for arcadians, I will send passwords to people who want to play saturdayish.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    also, i haven't actually played paranoia, but i think i remember reading a transcript of zombie and sharps game for some reason.

so im a little light on mechanical know-how.

but apparently thats really not too important yes?

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You dont need to have anything other than basic roleplaying skills to play the game. The biggest disadvantage you will have is simply not knowing as much about the world as players who have played before, which isnt a big thing at all. The world constantly changes, one day a docbot may repair your broken legs, the next it may claim that they are beyond repair and immediately start chopping off teammates limbs in an attempt to repair you.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    also, i haven't actually played paranoia, but i think i remember reading a transcript of zombie and sharps game for some reason.

so im a little light on mechanical know-how.

but apparently thats really not too important yes?

In paranoia I belive that the players aren't even supposed to know the mechanics, knowing the setting is more important.

Skulk on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You shouldn't even know the setting except to know that you should only ask questions to the GM and preferably in private.

Squashua on
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Depending on when this is, I'd probably be down. I'm unfortunately not very available at the moment, as my access to the internet is rather situational, but this does sound like fun.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Good times.

HAHAHA

Yeah that was me.

That was pretty epic. I remember you almost got out of your suit, but I hit the button again to keep it on you. Boiled alive....

:D

I had the biggest grin on my face when I couldn't get my suit off. "You can't reach it." "The button is stuck." Slowly, the flames engulfed me...I play roleplaying games almost exclusively for the awesome ways people can die.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been wanting to play another Paranoia game for a while.

I'd be interested, but I'd like to know more details, like:

1) When would this be starting? and
    2) How long are we expecting this to last? I've played in a paranoia campaign before, which seems weird, but it was alot of fun... Though I'm not even sure there are rules for this (having no knowledge of anything that may or may not be above my security clearance, like a good citizen :P).

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    1)
    Recoilless wrote: »
    I will try to get a game up this Sunday around 2 it should be listed on paranoia-live.net.

2) Untill we all leave or get bored.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    which timezone 2 are we talking about? i'm GMT-5 aka Eastern US timezone.

Sunday is a pretty obligation free day for me so it shouldn't matter too much.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Count me in for a game:

As my humble offering, I'll post a great excerpt or two from the Paranoia XP Sourcebook:
    May I be of assistance?

Sure. Why don't you tell me how this roleplaying game works?

I'm sorry, citizen. That information is not available at this time.

Huh? Most games are really eager to teach you the rules.

Not Paranoia. In Paranoia you don't know the rules. You don't know who your enemies are. You don't know how your equipment works. You're never sure why your doing anything. One thing you do know: Everyone is out to get you.
    Ignorance and Fear. Fear and Ignorance. Those are your watchwords.

Uhh...The back cover says something about a computer.

In Paranoia you play a Troubleshooter in the service to The Computer. Trust The Computer! The Computer is your friend! You are The Computer's trusted agent and protector of Alpha Complex, the Computer's underground city of the far future.

Why am I a Troubleshooter?

You turned in a friend for treason. The Computer had him executed for betraying Alpha Complex. The Computer rewarded you for you loyalty.
    Now you root out all traitors and apprehend or execute them. You uncover corruption amon The Computer's servants and turn them in to Internal Security. You fin trouble, and you shoot it.

What's a "traitor"?

A traitor is a malevolent human citizen who has betrayed his friend The Computer and seeks to destroy The Computer, Alpha Complex, humanity and life as we know it. You must unmask and destroy all traitors. Watch out! Traitors are everywhere!
    Mutants are traitors. These genetic freaks have uncontrollable abilities they selfishly use for their own advancement, rather than to serve Alpha Complex. You mus subdue and eliminate them.
    Members of secret societies are traitors. In organizations unsanctioned by The Computer they conspire irresponsibly to undermine the good order of Alpha Complex. You mus destroy them.
    By the way...you are a mutand, and a member of a secret society. You are a traitor

Wait, I'm a traitor?

That's correct. Your fellow Troubleshooters would be eager to unmask you as a traitor and execute you. You work with many Troubleshooters. They all carry powerful weapons.

Let me get this straight. My job is to hunt and kill traitors. I work with other people who have the same orders. They all want to kill me?

Not quite. They all want to kill traitors. They don't know you're a Commie mutant traitor. Yet.

If they find out?

They'll apprehend or kill you, as any right-thinking citizen would. f course, if you convict them of treason first, The Computer will have them executed, and you may survive. Note, though, false accusations of treason are themselves treason.

So I want to prove they're traitors before they can prove I'm a traitor. I I don't, I die?

Precisely. Dead traitors cannot testify to their own innocence, or to your guilt. It is convenient to be the last Troubleshooter on your team alive.
    The good news is, Troubleshooters routinely get get shot, stabbed, incinerated, mangled, poisoned, blown to bits, and occasionally stapled, so you have many opportunities to ensure your teammates meet their just end.
    Stay alert! Trust no one! Keep your laser handy!

...Are you sure this will be fun?

Certainly, citizen! Fun ins mandatory. The Computer says so, and The Computer is you friend. Do you doubt The Computer? Doubting The Computer is treason.

Uh! No, certainly not. If The Computer says fun is mandatory, then this certainly will be fun. Only a Commie mutant traitor could believe otherwise.

Excellent! You're getting the idea...Welcome to Paranoia

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    which timezone 2 are we talking about? i'm GMT-5 aka Eastern US timezone.

Sunday is a pretty obligation free day for me so it shouldn't matter too much.

Right GMT-5, silly me.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This thread is a HUGE SUCCESS. I would love to play, so long as it doesn't start before this Sunday.

Holy shit, are those dolphins the Sierra Club logo?

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Holy shit, are those dolphins the Sierra Club logo?

I, uh

Yes.

Also, would you like a character sheet Mr. GM?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Good Paranoia GMs create pre-generated characters for players, allowing the player to only customize the name and gender and possibly 80% of the appearance and some minor equipment.

Squashua on
  • Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game sounds like a fucking blast, and I would love to play. Sadly, I think it was said that this will be taking place on Sunday, when I plan on being balls-deep in Guitar Hero 3. Can you find the rulebook for this anywhere? I'd probably read it just because it's funny.

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This game sounds like a fucking blast, and I would love to play. Sadly, I think it was said that this will be taking place on Sunday, when I plan on being balls-deep in Guitar Hero 3. Can you find the rulebook for this anywhere? I'd probably read it just because it's funny.

Your Secret Satan should buy you the Paranoia rulebook.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I wasn't aware I HAD a Secret Satan. I mean, there's the regular one, that watches me from the corners of darkened rooms, but no secret ones.
    So this isn't something you could pick up at, say, Barnes and Nobles, or Amazon.com?

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I wasn't aware I HAD a Secret Satan. I mean, there's the regular one, that watches me from the corners of darkened rooms, but no secret ones.
    So this isn't something you could pick up at, say, Barnes and Nobles, or Amazon.com?

yes

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Rulebooks are for losers.

Also, ULTRAVIOLETs.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Regardless, it is an excellent read. Probably the most readable RPG rulebook ever.

Squashua on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would love to play, just tell me when.

I <3 Paranoia so much. By far one of my favorite tabletop RPGs i've ever played. I also have the rulebook, which is a great read.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    On another note I will be pre-generating characters for everyone, i will put up a server with 6 slots it will be first come first serve this Sunday at 2:00 GMT -5.

Also don't buy the rule book, it is for Ultraviolets(GM) only. You shouldnt know the workings of the game.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Recoilless wrote: »
    On another note I will be pre-generating characters for everyone, i will put up a server with 6 slots it will be first come first serve this Sunday at 2:00 GMT -5.

Also don't buy the rule book, it is for Ultraviolets(GM) only. You shouldnt know the workings of the game.

This is why I love playing paranoia with rules lawyers.

"You can't do that! It's against the rules!!!!!!"

"You claim to have knowledge of documents that are above your security clearance? Very well..."

*ZOT ZOT ZAP BOOM*

El Skid on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I will be working Sunday at 2pm, so I will be bowing out.

Besides, the Computer can kiss my a----<ZOT!>

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh yea, if you PM me and ask for a spot i will save you one.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know I have Paranoia on my secret satan list, so who knows. We could all be in a cool "Knowledge above our Clearance" club. Wear top hats and get condemned by computers.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sorry guys but it turns out that i cant host tomorrow. Something came up at the last minute.

But I will try to get a game going on Monday or Tuesday night.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Monday or Tuesday I can do. I'm fucking in. What do I need to play, program-wise?

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You need JParanoia.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's do Monday evening

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Okay, every one the servers are up. The password for all the characters, except the ones who have been reserved is "Arcadia". If it tells you wrong password, that means that you have chosen a reserved character.

Recoilless on
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So busy; can't do. Have fun.

Squashua on