Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Why American Education Sucks

150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2007 in Singularity Engine++
DEAREST PENIS ARCADE COLLEAGUES,

For three days I went to a teaching conference that was supposed to make me a better teacher. At this conference I learned:

1. Most teachers are morons. At the conference I quite literally heard the following questions:
"What's a blackboard"
"If I'm a 7th grade teacher do you think that will have harder classes than 5th grade"

2. "Educators" speak in an illiterate garbled mess of obnoxious and useless terms. Literal words from the presenter at the conference:

Presenter: "So you really need to scaffold and watch your SIOPs. If you don't unwrap the standards and look at the PPOs you'll be birdwalking and we all know how low that is on Bloom's Taxonomy!

The crowd found this sentence to be hilarious. Lools were had all around.

Way to use a bunch of annoying buzzwords just to make yourself sound smart. You are not a lawyer or doctor and you do not need lingo. Regular human translation of that last piece of crap comment:

"You really need to plan your classes and work on teaching to the state standards. If you don't, it'll be too easy to get off topic and your kids won't learn."

American teachers are depressing, American education is sad. I have more great stories but tl;dr.

I cry for you, America.
-150cc

CryInd.jpg

150cc on
«13456716

Posts

  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    they're still letting you teach?

    Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit At the edge of spacetime lies a path with no end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck the public school system my kids are going to prison

    Soggybiscuit on
    magnetized_zps9bb7aff1.png
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What does SATs stand for?

    It's like asking the square root of a million.
    No one will ever know.

    #pipe on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User
    edited October 2007
    Yay!
    Another 150 thread!

    Zombot on
    Zombot wrote: »
    I once went down on a girl who had a bit of smeckle on her tuckus hole.
    It was kinda hard telling her she needs to wipe better.
    Don't worry, you were doing her a mitzvah. Oy, I could just kvetch thinking about it.
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    DEAREST PENIS ARCADE COLLEAGUES,


    Presenter: "So you really need to scaffold and watch your SIOPs. If you don't unwrap the standards and look at the PPOs you'll be birdwalking and we all know how low that is on Bloom's Taxonomy!

    I cry for you, America.
    -150cc

    CryInd.jpg

    that's only funny because all the teacher classes spout the same buzzwords

    most of the teaching seminars have been pretty good, but I can't stand the touchy feely bullshit

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    CryInd.jpg

    I could really go for some Savvy Indian Chewing Tobacco right now.


    Yuuuuu-mmeeeee

    yummy yum yum

    Captain K on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    also

    i was afraid you had died 150cockscocks

    Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    What does SATs stand for?

    It's like asking the square root of a million.
    No one will ever know.

    standardized achievement test?

    Keith on
  • BerkBerk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »

    I cry for you, America.

    nevar.gif

    Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    snitches get stitches

    potatoe on
    I tried to write "but that" and my hands naturally wrote "butt hat", which is vastly superior in every way.
  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    150cc thread

    sweet

    Koshian on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User
    edited October 2007
    I wish i lived in russia

    an education of blood and vodka

    Ol' Sparky on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Berk wrote: »
    150cc wrote: »

    I cry for you, America.

    nevar.gif

    a crying peener

    i have seen it all

    150cc on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    snitches get stitches

    oh man this was such a problem at the school I taught at last year we had 5 day suspensions for the violations of dress code with those stupid ass slogans on them

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • monkeyfeet63monkeyfeet63 Registered User
    edited October 2007
    I'm a Senior in High School. I work with many educators after school with various extra-curricular activities. When they interact with each they behave worse than most kids. I fear for our country's future.

    monkeyfeet63 on
    Ducktalesavlong.jpg
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    150cc what I am saying here is you should teach better so you could be a better teacher that could teach better

    you should know by know that they don't make professional gatherings to make you better

    they make professional gatherings because lonely professionals are incredibly lonely

    Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    What does SATs stand for?

    It's like asking the square root of a million.
    No one will ever know.

    standardized achievement test?

    but it is called the SAT reasoning test

    Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    art teachers are rad

    Koshian on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kadith wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    What does SATs stand for?

    It's like asking the square root of a million.
    No one will ever know.

    standardized achievement test?

    but it is called the SAT reasoning test

    sort of like an ATM machine?
    or a PIN number?

    potatoe on
    I tried to write "but that" and my hands naturally wrote "butt hat", which is vastly superior in every way.
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User
    edited October 2007
    i could honestly see myself teaching something that's not math or a science

    but you know, the benefits of helping people just don't outweigh the negatives

    especially when those people you're helping can be such pricks

    Ol' Sparky on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit At the edge of spacetime lies a path with no end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "I think there's no way they should have to teach [math] now. We have computers. We no longer need to know why 3x = 2y/4."

    -Mr. Rosie O'Donnell

    Sometimes, we should just shoot the stupid ones.

    Soggybiscuit on
    magnetized_zps9bb7aff1.png
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When I was in ninth grade I had a 20 minute argument with my English teacher over the correct past tense usage of the word "Hang" when referring to the execution method.

    She insisted that Ned Kelly was Hung.

    #pipe on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »
    150cc what I am saying here is you should teach better so you could be a better teacher that could teach better

    you should know by know that they don't make professional gatherings to make you better

    they make professional gatherings because lonely professionals are incredibly lonely

    They make these gatherings so that:

    - I can jump through hoops to claim I "developed professionally" so that I can compete for a few hundred bucks of bonus pay at the end of the year

    - "Instructional coaches" can make a ton of money telling us incredibly straightforward and common sense things

    - Conference presenters can require you to buy the lame book they wrote for the low low price of forty bucks

    150cc on
  • monkeyfeet63monkeyfeet63 Registered User
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    What does SATs stand for?

    It's like asking the square root of a million.
    No one will ever know.

    standardized achievement test?

    In an SAT course I took they said it no longer means anything. The letters SAT have been used so much that the acronym has become...itself.

    Before that it was the Scholastic Aptitude Test.

    monkeyfeet63 on
    Ducktalesavlong.jpg
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    What does SATs stand for?

    It's like asking the square root of a million.
    No one will ever know.

    standardized achievement test?

    In an SAT course I took they said it no longer means anything. The letters SAT have been used so much that the acronym has become...itself.

    Before that it was the Scholastic Aptitude Test.

    one of my academic team students told me the same thing today

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    according to statistics on wikipedia the SAT is racist

    it is also retarded.

    but that's a plain old fact.

    Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »
    150cc what I am saying here is you should teach better so you could be a better teacher that could teach better

    you should know by know that they don't make professional gatherings to make you better

    they make professional gatherings because lonely professionals are incredibly lonely

    They make these gatherings so that:

    - I can jump through hoops to claim I "developed professionally" so that I can compete for a few hundred bucks of bonus pay at the end of the year

    - "Instructional coaches" can make a ton of money telling us incredibly straightforward and common sense things

    - Conference presenters can require you to buy the lame book they wrote for the low low price of forty bucks

    it's funny

    I can get an education degree once I finish my batchelors

    or

    I can move to the northwest territories and teach without one

    I guess NWT just have lower standards for teachers?

    being a frozen hell and all

    Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User
    edited October 2007
    i believe its still scholastic aptitude test, but yeah, the acronym is pretty much itself

    Ol' Sparky on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Other real life quotes from the conference:

    Instructional Coach: Every lesson you teach needs to have a real-life application. Kids need to see that everything they learn has to be useful.

    150cc: Well... isn't it better just to get them to learn for the sake of learning? Learning is supposed to be fun, why can't I just worry about that? Why does everything have to be useful, why can't I just show them how to learn things just because it's fun to learn?

    Instructional Coach: Good luck, kids will never do that.

    150cc: That's a little... negative.

    Instructional Coach: How long have you been teaching?

    150cc: Three years.

    Instructional Coach: Figures.

    150cc on
  • monkeyfeet63monkeyfeet63 Registered User
    edited October 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    When I was in ninth grade I had a 20 minute argument with my English teacher over the correct past tense usage of the word "Hang" when referring to the execution method.

    She insisted that Ned Kelly was Hung.

    Apparently nowadays both usages are correct.

    One of those situations were if enough stupid people use it, our language will conform for them.

    monkeyfeet63 on
    Ducktalesavlong.jpg
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »
    150cc wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »
    150cc what I am saying here is you should teach better so you could be a better teacher that could teach better

    you should know by know that they don't make professional gatherings to make you better

    they make professional gatherings because lonely professionals are incredibly lonely

    They make these gatherings so that:

    - I can jump through hoops to claim I "developed professionally" so that I can compete for a few hundred bucks of bonus pay at the end of the year

    - "Instructional coaches" can make a ton of money telling us incredibly straightforward and common sense things

    - Conference presenters can require you to buy the lame book they wrote for the low low price of forty bucks

    it's funny

    I can get an education degree once I finish my batchelors

    or

    I can move to the northwest territories and teach without one

    I guess NWT just have lower standards for teachers?

    being a frozen hell and all

    You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go to school to get a masters in education, especially if it meant having to sit through two years of the bullcrap I had to slog through for three days

    150cc on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Silly americans

    Dadouw on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Also,

    Wahoo%202.jpg

    150cc on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    150, my wife is a teacher and she says much of the same thing.

    GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    Other real life quotes from the conference:

    Instructional Coach: Every lesson you teach needs to have a real-life application. Kids need to see that everything they learn has to be useful.

    150cc: Well... isn't it better just to get them to learn for the sake of learning? Learning is supposed to be fun, why can't I just worry about that? Why does everything have to be useful, why can't I just show them how to learn things just because it's fun to learn?

    Instructional Coach: Good luck, kids will never do that.

    150cc: That's a little... negative.

    Instructional Coach: How long have you been teaching?

    150cc: Three years.

    Instructional Coach: Figures.

    and i think then you'll agree the main problems with schools is that they don't get kids to enjoy learning

    i mean, sure, getting your three r's is good

    but what's really important is that you're ready to play a part in an extremely complicated, ever-changing world, and to do that you need to learn

    Ol' Sparky on
  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    150, what do you teach?

    Koshian on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    but learning cool things really is fun isocc

    don't give up

    teach your kids about biological weapons

    Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh hey my parents are dumb

    Keith on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go to school to get a masters in education, especially if it meant having to sit through two years of the bullcrap I had to slog through for three days

    this is where I realize that being a math major was a terrible idea

    batchelors of pmat but no phd?! gtfo, jim

    fuck you society

    Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »
    150cc wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »
    150cc what I am saying here is you should teach better so you could be a better teacher that could teach better

    you should know by know that they don't make professional gatherings to make you better

    they make professional gatherings because lonely professionals are incredibly lonely

    They make these gatherings so that:

    - I can jump through hoops to claim I "developed professionally" so that I can compete for a few hundred bucks of bonus pay at the end of the year

    - "Instructional coaches" can make a ton of money telling us incredibly straightforward and common sense things

    - Conference presenters can require you to buy the lame book they wrote for the low low price of forty bucks

    it's funny

    I can get an education degree once I finish my batchelors

    or

    I can move to the northwest territories and teach without one

    I guess NWT just have lower standards for teachers?

    being a frozen hell and all

    You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go to school to get a masters in education, especially if it meant having to sit through two years of the bullcrap I had to slog through for three days

    maybe it's an Ohio thing but I have to get my Masters to get a teaching license after like 10 years

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
«13456716
Sign In or Register to comment.