As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hissing car stereo/speakers.

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought a (used) car today, and every thing's great except for the sound system. When I turn on the radio, sound/music is there, but it's accompanied by a very loud hissing sound. It happens when I use the CD player, the tuner radio and the cassette player. The hiss is a lot louder than the music.
The hiss seems to be coming from the left and the right speakers.

I know next to nothing about cars, so I was wondering if someone could tell me what the problem could be?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    glimlieglimlie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    does it change with the engine noise? like as you rev higher, so does the noise?

had a similar problem when i installed my old cd player. interference from the engine. when i reved the engine, the interference also changed. I fixed that by buying better cables to hook up by cd player/speakers.

besides that i have no idea sorry

glimlie on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It seems to be pretty constant. It may be a wiring problem though.
    How much does that usually cost to fix up?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    It seems to be pretty constant. It may be a wiring problem though.
    How much does that usually cost to fix up?

My guess would be probably 100-200 dollars. Its mainly labor youre paying for in that case, removal and reinstallation of the dash and door cards to run new speaker wires.

My guess would probably be that the stereo isnt grounded properly. If its the factory stereo, the grounds probably wiggled loose or corroded.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yea, that would be all labor. Some cars are nice and easy to pull the dash off of if you want to do it yourself.

Move the wires about and try the stereo a few times and see where things go.

And shouldn't you be able to isolate if its interference or not by running the radio with the car off?

Mmmm... Cocks... on