As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I hook my 360 up to my computer monitor?

turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dadis the best.Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Title says it all. Do I just plug the monitor cable into the 360 or what? I'm asking before trying anything because my computer is a huge pain in the ass to move. I also don't want to break anything.:P

X22wmuF.jpg
turtleant on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not to hijack buuuuut...

I'm retarded and never really thought of hooking a 360/ps3 into a PC monitor. I have a widescreen 19in. Sure, its' not a big screen but it'd be "high def".

Question though, what do the systems do with non-native resoultions? This monitor is 1440x900. Would it just force the monitor into 720p?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    You buy the VGA cable and then also probably a KVM switch like you'd use to connect two computers to the same monitor.

The 360 runs in a number of resolutions so as long as your native res is 16:9 then it should be ok. My monitor runs native at 16:10 1920x1200 but the 360 runs in 1920x1080. Depending on your monitor type you'll either get bars added to the top / bottom or it'll stretch the image out a little to fit properly.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Spend the $40 on a first party Microsoft cable as well. Everyone on the internet says that the third party cables have shit image quality.

Normally, when you're feeding an image into an LCD at a resolution other than it's native, it'll look like shit because the LCD screen will scale it to fit the screen. LCD screens generally have shitty scalers. Luckily, the 360 does all the scaling for you, so you won't have many issues with LCD screens.

My screen is also a 1440x900, so I run the 360 at 1360x768 (720p), and it looks fine.

Einhander on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How well does the 360+MS VGA cable work on a 19"16:10 TFT with a native resolution of 1440x900?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    How well does the 360+MS VGA cable work on a 19"16:10 TFT with a native resolution of 1440x900?
    Depending on your monitor type you'll either get bars added to the top / bottom or it'll stretch the image out a little to fit properly.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So the solution to my problem is to buy something.
    Ok, I'm good at that.
    Now to wait for payday.
    Thanks for the help.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    Depending on your monitor type you'll either get bars added to the top / bottom or it'll stretch the image out a little to fit properly.
    Einhander wrote:
    My screen is also a 1440x900, so I run the 360 at 1360x768 (720p), and it looks fine.

Einhander on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Einhander posted while I was typing. :(

Thanks. :)

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, on a side note, if your monitor has dual inputs (say, one VGA and one DVi), you can have your 360 (assuming it is a newer system with an HDMI port) and your PC plugged in at the same time if you pick up an HDMI to DVi converter.

This would make it so you wouldn't have to switch back and forth all the time.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Or use a VGA-DVI adapter which come with just about every videocard.

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Or use a VGA-DVI adapter which come with just about every videocard.

Or that. Yeah.

Anyway, if you've got a DVi in port you don't have to buy the VGA adaptor, so you'd be saving $40.

Einhander on