As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Front Mission DS is here!

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
(OP Shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia, also note: First OP, hope I did this right.)
Front Mission is a strategy video game developed and published by Square in 1995 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Super Famicom in Japan). Front Mission is an ongoing saga intertwining the storylines of various heroes and their epic battles involving mechs. The games feature a very broad range of mech customization, where each individual part of the mech can be tweaked for the greatest possible performance.
An enhanced remake of the game was released for the Wonderswan Color in 2002, PlayStation in 2003, and Nintendo DS in 2007.

Front_Mission_DS_cover.jpg

Front Mission 1st for the DS includes several characters from Front Mission 5: Scars of the War. Battle sequences are being tuned to use the DS's dual screen setup for an easy view of the action. The DS version has many more changes and additions that make it the definitive version of Front Mission. These include:

The ability to access and utilize large mobile weapons previously seen as boss-type units in the Front Mission SNES and PSOne versions. Upon meeting specific requirements, the player can control mobile weapons such as the Seaking, Clinton Type, or a prototype version of the Bogomol I seen at the end of Front Mission 4.
The ability to control Front Mission characters from other installments such as Darril Traubel and Glen Duval. This feature is only limited to a select number of missions however.
New additions to parts and weapons, some from other Front Mission installments like the Numsekar from Front Mission 5. The infamous Dragon Hand part, which could only be obtained by cheat devices, can now be obtained normally in the game.
New secret missions and areas that expand both sides further. Numerous bonuses await upon the completion of these secret missions, such as new mobile weapons or wanzers for usage.
Additional modes such as a high-speed battle mode where battles are done quickly via skipping and other time-cutting means. Difficulty settings are available upon completion of either side a number of times. Even more secrets and bonuses can be accessed through repeated playthroughs of either side.

Some Gameplay notes:
The gameplay of Front Mission is similar to strategy RPG games such as Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem. Although it has similarities to the aforementioned games, Front Mission is often classified more of a strategy game rather than strategy RPG due to its game mechanics. In terms of progression, players can progress through the game in the following manner: watch plot-related scenes, clear missions, upgrade and configure wanzers for the next mission. The player travels to locations on a point-and-click world map. As the player progresses through the plot, new locations are revealed on the world map. Towns and cities act as intermission points where the player can organize and setup their units for the upcoming mission. Battle zones are where the missions take place, though they become inaccessible upon the completion of a mission.

Wanzers and weapons

In terms of the gameplay mechanics, Front Mission units use wanzers, which is Front Mission-speak for mecha. Wanzers differ from the typical combat unit in that it has 4 separate parts: Body, Right Arm, Left Arm, and Legs. Each part has a specific function and its own Health Points(HP) bar. The Legs enable movement and evasion, the Arms are necessary to equip and use hand and shoulder weapons, and the Body maintains the wanzer's operability. Should the Body be destroyed, the wanzer is destroyed completely. There are a lot of benefits to disabling a wanzer's Arms or Legs beforehand, as it will prevent a wanzer from using weapons or evading attacks respectively. The only forms of damage reduction are a wanzer's Defense stat and Shields, which boosts the overall defense of the wanzer. While the player fights mostly wanzers in the entire game, the player also fights vehicles and mobile weapon platforms. These enemy units only have one part, the Body, but they have greater Defense and HP values to compensate for having just one part.

Weapons in Front Mission are classified under three categories: Melee(Fight in the Japanese version), Short, and Long. Melee weapons consist of Rods and a wanzer's free Arm (no weapon equipped) that strike only once but deal high damage. The advantages are that Melee weapons have a tendency to strike a wanzer's Body part and ignore the Defense stat of a wanzer. Short weapons are used in close-range and consist of Machine Guns, Shotguns, Flamethrowers, and Rifles. Machine Guns are multi-fire weapons and its rounds target a wanzer's parts at random. Shotguns, Flamethrowers, and Rifles are single-fire weapons similar to Melee weapons but they do not focus on a specific part of a wanzer. The advantages with these weapons are their high accuracy, they take priority over Melee weapons in battle sequences (Short weapons attack first), and they often destroy wanzer parts if the round connects.

Long weapons are used from a distance and consist of Missile Launchers and Rocket Launchers, which fire either multiple rounds or just a single round. The advantage with a Long weapon is simple: the attacked unit cannot counter-attack the attacker. Long weapons have ammunition limits, however, and must be reloaded when a weapon has used up all of its ammo. Hybrid weapons that specialize in both Short and Long are present in the form of Bazookas and Grenade Launchers. These weapons have a noticeable drawback in that they have low accuracy and thus, rounds are likely to miss instead of hit the target.

Wanzer customization

The main draw of any Front Mission is the massive amounts of customization involved in creating wanzers. Provided a wanzer's total Weight does not exceed its Power Output limit, a player can configure a wanzer out of almost any combination of parts. A wanzer can be equipped with up to 4 weapons (right/left hand, right/left shoulder) for offensive purposes, though it is very hard to outfit a wanzer with 4 weapons without exceeding its Power Output. Wanzers can also use Weapon Arms, which are Arms with built-in weapons that are considerably lighter than equipping an Arm with a weapon. A wanzer can also equip a backpack that grants additional power output, increased item storage capacity, and raises the effective range of support weapons such as acid bombs and flash grenades. In regards to movement, the player can equip a wanzer with a variety of leg types (tread, hover, etc.) that has specific uses in terms of moving through various terrain. Therefore, players ultimately decide the effectiveness and strength of their squads based on wanzer setup alone. One of the most well known wanzer models is the Zenith, which has become an iconic figure for Front Mission for its appearance in every game.

SCREENS!:

935704_20070709_screen003.jpg

935704_20070709_screen006.jpg

935704_20070709_screen008.jpg

Anyone have it yet? Is it awesome as it should be? Details people!

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been looking forward to this for a long time, I'm going to pick it up today if I can find time, and then find the game.

Exam week sucks! No time for videogames!

Teevirus on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I want this. I'm going to have to track this down.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ever since ViolentChemistry told me about this, I've been dying for it. I'll see if I can get it today after work/school. Then I'm gonna get my fight on.

Varega on
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FUCK I want this.

Front Mission 3 is one of my favorite games of all time.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck yes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Back when I had my DS, I had originally bought it in anticipation of this and the Card Fighter's Clash remake. After CFC turned out to be such a turd (and I beat all of the CastleVanias), I sold it and threw the cash toward rent.

Now I am regretting that decision.

Einhander on
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In other DS turn-based strategy news, Panzer Tactics DS apparently releases next week. IGN has a preview. If it's anything near as thorough as Panzer General, and the online multiplayer works well...

Oh Dear Lord, I'm going to have to buy both of these.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm totally stealing my sister's DS for this game.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heh... you know what's funny? Characters from 5... we never got it in the states. :(

Slagmire on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sorry, maybe I'm just blind but is it actually out yet? I looked around online and can't find a copy of it anywhere :( On the gamestop site it just says backordered and all the stores have 0 in stock. Not that I'd actually buy it there but still. Want this game soooo bad.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game got me to finally buy a DS.

And then I blew my game budget this month and can't afford to buy it at release. Well, next month it will be mine!

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How closely does this resemble FM4? FM4 is the first one I played and my first SRPG and I loved it.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    How closely does this resemble FM4? FM4 is the first one I played and my first SRPG and I loved it.

It's actually the first in the series. Gameplay hasn't really changed all too much, but there are some differences in the way movement works (ie, humanoid legs can go up any amount of incline, others can only go up 1 level at a time).

But yea, gamestop SHOULD have it, I just picked mine up on long island on my way to work. Didn't get to play it, however I get off REALLY early for me, so it should be a fun night.

Varega on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have tried to start a game on the SNES original no less than ten times... I can never get into it. Maybe this time I'll be able to.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just picked this up on my way to class.

God knows when the hell I'm going to get around to playing it though.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm picking this up tomorrow. For some reason, my local Gamestop isn't getting Phoenix Wright until then, so I'm picking them up at the same time for maximum bankruptcy.

Hopefully I've forgotten the SNES version. Not so much for the storyline, since I played it in Japanese and didn't know what was going on, but because I got pretty good at tweaking out a character to the point that the main character did all the work - nothing survived long enough for the people trailing one tile behind him to get any action.
    I wonder if they changed how damage scaling worked. By end game, machineguns were disproportionately powerful. It really hurt the vast customization when the rocket-shield-MG-MG setup was so vastly outperforming that you either did that with everybody, or did that with nobody to preserve the challenge.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    It's out? Oh shitz, I need to find a copy. My 45 minute bus-rides demand more DS games and my supply of S-RPGs is pretty much limited to GBA and PS2.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This looks pretty dang interesting. I love mecha, and it's been awhile since I got a new strategy game. It might be just the thing to stave off the horrible cravings SRW Original Generations has left in me, as I hunger for an english release.

Matthew on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heh heh heh.

Wanzer? Seriously?

Anyway. On a more adult note, more portable tactics games is more good as far as I'm concerned.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heh heh heh.

Wanzer? Seriously?

Anyway. On a more adult note, more portable tactics games is more good as far as I'm concerned.

In the realm of names for giant robots in video games, that is legitimately top flight. 'Eggs?' Unless there's something I'm seriously missing from a German connotation of the name, or something.
    Heh... you know what's funny? Characters from 5... we never got it in the states. :(

Yet!
    ...Yeah, likely won't be seeing it any time soon. I think this game would have to do ridiculously well to make that even a possibility.

In regards to the actual game, I hate Yoshitaka Amano. The presence of his art very seriously detracts from my desire to get the game, which is sad, because everything else does look pretty good.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Heh heh heh.

Wanzer? Seriously?

In the realm of names for giant robots in video games, that is legitimately top flight. 'Eggs?' Unless there's something I'm seriously missing from a German connotation of the name, or something.

It's an abbreviation of "Wanderung Panzer," or "Walking Armor" in the German tongue according to the fluff. In the Front Mission universe, the Germans were the ones to pioneer and perfect the whole mech thing and so they got dibs on naming.

This was explained, along with a ton of other background fluff and history, in the "internet" feature in the third Front Mission.

SirNick on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need this.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh God, is this the SNES port? It looks amazing.

I need this.

It is easilly one of the best looking snes games imo.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SirNick wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Heh heh heh.

Wanzer? Seriously?

It's an abbreviation of "Wanderung Panzer," or "Walking Armor" in the German tongue. In the Front Mission universe, the Germans were the ones to pioneer and perfect the whole mech thing and so they got dibs on naming.

This was explained, along with a ton of other background fluff and history, in the "internet" feature in the third Front Mission.

Yeah, I know that. I was referencing the bolded part. Either it's about its closeness to wang (only in spelling, not in pronunciation), or there's some other German word or phrase or something that could be humorously linked to it in some way, or I'm just missing something else entirely.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heh heh heh.

Wanzer? Seriously?

Don't get too excited buddy. It's pronounced Vanzer.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I'm not sure I see the humor in "wanzer". It frankly sounds pretty badass, better than "mobile suit" or "personal trooper" at any rate.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You'll better be buying this...

I want my Front Mission 5!!!

Ordered 1st early Tuesday at buy.com yet for some reason it still shows "sent to warehouse" grrr :x

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just picked this up from Gamestop. They had 0 preorders and got one game in which I bought. And this was the third place I went to. I just started it so no details on how it is yet. But this does not seem to bode well for us getting FM 5. And FM online...

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd really like to hear some forumer opinions from anyone who has picked it up so far. I'm a big fan of this style of game and really enjoyed Front Mission 4 (the only one I've had the chance to play so far), but the video of this on IGN seemed pretty dated (SNES port or not, they still could have done something to update it) and had some long pauses between starting combat and showing the little animation, so I'm still on the fence.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll buy this if for no other reason than the fact that if I don't do it now, I'll never find it again.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I played it for about 45 minutes, and so far, it's outstanding. You can't farm the arena for experience it seems, which bothers me, but I'm kicking so much ass with my 5 guys that it's ridiculous. Example, I used one guy as a meat shield to absorb most of the missles in the 3rd stage, and when he was about to drop, pulled him back and hit their missile guy with mine, doing pretty good damage. Then mopped him up with some nice MG rounds. The Rifle seems underpowered just because I can't seem to get it to hit often, but when I figure it out, it'll be decent.

for the tl;dr people, it's awesome, get it. You blow up mechs portably. And there's new game+ features.

Varega on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I loves me some tactical mech action. I need to see if I can scrounge up money. And that Panzer game? Dammit. D:

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    New Game+ just took the status from "must get" to "fuck! where's my wallet".

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Akira wrote: »
    I'd really like to hear some forumer opinions from anyone who has picked it up so far. I'm a big fan of this style of game and really enjoyed Front Mission 4 (the only one I've had the chance to play so far), but the video of this on IGN seemed pretty dated (SNES port or not, they still could have done something to update it) and had some long pauses between starting combat and showing the little animation, so I'm still on the fence.

Theres about a 2-3 second delay for the starting combat but it honestly hasn't bothered me at all. I think it helps that this happens on the top screen which is normally just showing some random icon. From the SNES game it adds a whole new campaign which was in the old PS1 remake plus I think it was 10 missions completely new to the DS. The DS has a few new characters and minor things plus Local multiplayer.

The touch screen controls seem nice but I've stuck to the D-pad since I've gotten used to it playing FF Tactics on PSP nonstop for weeks.

I would recomend you get it at least to see where the series started. Honestly I never finished 4 and thought it was the weakest of the ones I played. In my opinion you should get this one and seriously try to track down 3 if you enjoyed 4.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    JWashke wrote: »
    Akira wrote: »

Theres about a 2-3 second delay for the starting combat but it honestly hasn't bothered me at all. I think it helps that this happens on the top screen which is normally just showing some random icon. From the SNES game it adds a whole new campaign which was in the old PS1 remake plus I think it was 10 missions completely new to the DS. The DS has a few new characters and minor things plus Local multiplayer.

The touch screen controls seem nice but I've stuck to the D-pad since I've gotten used to it playing FF Tactics on PSP nonstop for weeks.

I would recomend you get it at least to see where the series started. Honestly I never finished 4 and thought it was the weakest of the ones I played. In my opinion you should get this one and seriously try to track down 3 if you enjoyed 4.
    I haven't seen the slowdown, but maybe you're referring to the entry animation? When you attack, the top screen changes to the detailed sprite vs sprite mode.

Varega on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, now I *have* to get a DS.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah after you click attack, the top screen is black for like 3 seconds with the battle music playing before the sprites show up and stuff.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man.

This, the new Advance Wars coming out, Disgaea PSP, and Final Fantasy Tactics (both WotL and Advance 2)...

Portable strategy never felt so good. <3

Kami on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As someone who plays turn based games all the time, I need to get this.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    You'll better be buying this...

I want my Front Mission 5!!!

Ordered 1st early Tuesday at buy.com yet for some reason it still shows "sent to warehouse" grrr :x

You and me both brother.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.