As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Downtime

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
Ok, so the recent downtime was actually fairly amusing once I fixed it.
Basically our database server shat itself. It tried to repair itself, but it failed oh so miserably and the repair basically made the database mark any thread\post or user that was read as corrupt making it look like it was erased. I had to bring down the databse and run an extended full repair (yes, that is somehow different than a normal full repair*) Once that happened the rows were marked clean, and life returns to normal. I also took the liberty of making a snapshot of the database for future use. Sorry about the delay and such, after a long day of coding, I watched Sin City on DVD. When I came back, it was like this. Many thanks to the users who emailed me or the forumadmin account letting me know the site was borked.

In other news, I know I haven't been around as much as of late. There are various reasons but the main one is this, my job as an admin here is to work primarily with code. Normally this isn't that big of a deal, however, I am working on a fairly large project. In the future I will be putting out a call, a beta if you will, for some users interested in testing out my new creation.
-Alpha

* It has to do with the depth and manner that the data is resorted and reindexed.

Älphämönkëy on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2005
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I don't understand a thing about the tech behind this, but thanks for getting the forums up and running so quickly.

redhead on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah I don't understand the tech behind it either. Alls I know is that alpha waved his voodoostick, did his chant, and the forum works. Thanks alpha!

Henroid on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited August 2005
    Awesome work. :^:

Kevar on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    woooooooooooo!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well it's understandable if you were a little late because of Sin City. I mean, any other movie I would have been appalled, but Sin City.
    Thanks, Alpha.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    my new creation.

Booooo. :(

What about our project? :|

Unknown User on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    my new creation.

Booooo. :(

What about our project? :|

Projects like that usually solve themselves after nine months or so. Just give it time.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    That was fun while it lasted

I saw old topics, and waves of nostalgia hit he

Raneados on
  • Oxymoron ManOxymoron Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Raneados wrote:
    That was fun while it lasted

I saw old topics, and waves of nostalgia hit he
    I don't think any of the topics were more than a month old.

Oxymoron Man on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Ok, so the recent downtime was actually fairly amusing once I fixed it.
    Basically our database server shat itself. It tried to repair itself, but it failed oh so miserably and the repair basically made the database mark any thread\post or user that was read as corrupt making it look like it was erased. I had to bring down the databse and run an extended full repair (yes, that is somehow different than a normal full repair*) Once that happened the rows were marked clean, and life returns to normal. I also took the liberty of making a snapshot of the database for future use. Sorry about the delay and such, after a long day of coding, I watched Sin City on DVD. When I came back, it was like this. Many thanks to the users who emailed me or the forumadmin account letting me know the site was borked.

In other news, I know I haven't been around as much as of late. There are various reasons but the main one is this, my job as an admin here is to work primarily with code. Normally this isn't that big of a deal, however, I am working on a fairly large project. In the future I will be putting out a call, a beta if you will, for some users interested in testing out my new creation.
    -Alpha

* It has to do with the depth and manner that the data is resorted and reindexed.

I'll be glad to help you test this beta thing a ma gig when you get it ready.

Artoria on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    "Failed obtaining forum access control lists"

What's this all about?

Henroid on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    "Failed obtaining forum access control lists"

What's this all about?
    I just got it too.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Wooo! Thanks Alpha!

ben0207 on
  • David ByrneDavid Byrne Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Thank you Alpha for all the work you did on this.

David Byrne on
    talkingheads.jpg