As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animal Crossing MMO and DS virtual console rumors

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7666&Itemid=2

Animal Crossing for the Wii will be an MMO/social networking title. It’s no great surprise – in a few short years, Animal Crossing has become one of Nintendo’s most-loved and top selling franchises (over seven million copies sold), particularly in Japan. Nintendo refers to the title as a ‘communications game’ rather than a videogame, and playing already depends on real-world timekeeping, weather patterns, social conventions, and above all else economic interactions. In almost every way, Animal Crossing has always been the perfect MMO concept, and this development is simply a fulfilment of that promise.

The game has yet to be officially announced (although Nintendo has at least confirmed that an Animal Crossing game is in development for the Wii) and so details are not so much thin on the ground as nonexistent. But there are some indications of where the game will take the series: Katsuya Eguchi, head of development for the project, has made relatively non-committal noises thus far, but hinted that connection to mobile phones and PCs (for basic functions such as messages) would be included in an interview as far back as last year. Animal Crossing’s earlier iterations already feature travelling between towns, the ability for players to live in the same town (though not to play in it at the same time), and the ability to design your own clothing – and to sell it.

Of similar import is the imminent arrival of an official DS flash card, which will initially just be available to allow Nintendo to sell the back catalogue of Game Boy and Game Boy Colour games. The uncontrollable homebrew and piracy communities that use the DS rely on similar devices for their more nefarious ends, but this should, in the long term, allow Nintendo to exercise some control over at least the former through the simple step of offering a path to publisher-supported content. Compared to the slightly vague WiiWare proposition, this has the possibility to revolutionise homebrew development – at least in terms of distribution and the possibility of mainstream success – but how far the notoriously controlling Japanese giant will allow that community the creative freedom it requires to flourish will only be seen in practice. And before getting too excited, the device will launch exclusively for old Game Boy content, initially.

These are two moves that might seem insignificant in the whirlwinds of Halo 3, Home and the AAA titles that will dominate Christmas headlines. But grandmaster Nintendo is already thinking many positions ahead, and these two announcements, when made, will only consolidate this winning stance.
Edge published the article so it has a greater chance of being true than anything sponge, etc. say.

Couscous on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Interesting, an Animal Crossing MMO. I have a sinking suspicion that my wife would be hopelessly addicted to this.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmmm... Very interesting. I'm looking forward to Animal Crossing. So is this flash card going to be blank, or will they put like 1 or 2 GBA games on it, and let you buy it at a reduced cost? It'd be nice to get some good games for the GBA, since I missed out on many of them.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The DS Flash Card sounds great! :D I don't have very many old GB games.

    Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Given that most of the gaming I do is portable, I would spend so much money on a DS Virtual Console it's not even funny. Even if it starts out only with Game Boy games, it would be awesome to have, say, Donkey Kong, Mario Land 2-3, and the Wario Land games all on a DS flash cart, to say nothing of Game Boy Color games like Mario Bros. DX and Metal Gear Solid.

    shyguy on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A Gameboy/Color VC for the DS is a great idea, but I hope you can play your purchases on the Wii, as well. It seems that games like Link's Awakening, Metroid II and Kid Icarus 2 would be better on a television screen, despite the black and white graphics and the low pixel count.

    SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A Gameboy/Color VC for the DS is a great idea, but I hope you can play your purchases on the Wii, as well. It seems that games like Link's Awakening, Metroid II and Kid Icarus 2 would be better on a television screen, despite the black and white graphics and the low pixel count.

    I hope as well. I love playing on the go, but sometimes I'd like to switch it up and play on my TV as well. I haven't played the wario land games in so long, it would be lovely to blast through once again.

    Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How are they going to protect the childrens if Animal Crossing is an MMO? Are we just not going to be able to talk to anyone?

    FRIEND CODES FOR ALL!

    YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If this Animal Crossing MMO actually turns out to be anything I conceive it to be, huge chunks of my life are going to be laid to waste.

    Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

    XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DS Virtual Console. Fuck I love my DS.

    elevature on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If this Animal Crossing MMO actually turns out to be anything I conceive it to be, huge chunks of my life are going to be laid to waste.

    I cannot put words to my excitement, so I'm quoting this.

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Japan's gonna cry. This is horrible. I can't spend any more money on my DS, my PSP is starting to get jealous. It might... hurt itself for attention.

    Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Japan's gonna cry. This is horrible. I can't spend any more money on my DS, my PSP is starting to get jealous. It might... hurt itself for attention.
    070605.jpg

    elevature on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know everyone here is thinking "Mother 3" over and over.

    You better be.

    Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No chance in hell on that DS VC.

    No chance in hell.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    No chance in hell on that DS VC.

    No chance in hell.

    Then it's a god thing we aren't in hell.
    It would be awesome. Especially because I can't find my Link's Awakening DX cart and I want to play it again.

    Peewi on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.

    Why? That's terribly silly.

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If this Animal Crossing MMO actually turns out to be anything I conceive it to be, huge chunks of my life are going to be laid to waste.

    wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    No chance in hell on that DS VC.

    No chance in hell.

    Then it's a god thing we aren't in hell.
    It would be awesome. Especially because I can't find my Link's Awakening DX cart and I want to play it again.

    Okay, without even getting into how much of a pain in the ass it is to emulate GBC sound when you're not in GBA mode, Nintendo is not going to release an official flash card. They just aren't. I can't even begin to imagine who's ass this rumor came from.

    Maybe with the sequel to the DS there'll be some way of buying shit that gets stored on internal memory, but an external flash card for buying VC titles has customer service issues that are big enough to topple it without even considering the piracy angle (and you bet your ass Nintendo is considering the piracy angle).

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Both of these retailers have just today added Animal Crossing Wii to their databases. Adding credence to the rumour. (or possibly the retailers are responding to the rumour, I am not 100% sure on how these things work)

    LewieP on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.

    Why? That's terribly silly.


    If you don't actually know why then how can it be terribly silly?

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The one thing I didn't like about Animal Crossing on the GCN was the bastard "friends" i had to appease, I guess at least with real people there is a chance that at least some of the people/NPCs i would have to interact with wouldn't be jerks.

    Although that being said I spent three months being a mortgage slave to Tom Nook, I'm not sure I could do that twice, even if I could do it with friends.

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck you Kalkino. Being a slave to Tom Nook should be every man's dreams.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.
    Why? That's terribly silly.
    If you don't actually know why then how can it be terribly silly?

    Because saying that a series is dead to you, especially when you know nothing about how it's going to play, is terribly silly.

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like about Animal Crossing on the GCN was the bastard "friends" i had to appease, I guess at least with real people there is a chance that at least some of the people/NPCs i would have to interact with wouldn't be jerks.

    And a 100% chance that half of them would be jerks the level of which Animal Crossing could never HOPE to aspire to. No thank you Nintendo.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.
    Why? That's terribly silly.
    If you don't actually know why then how can it be terribly silly?

    Because saying that a series is dead to you, especially when you know nothing about how it's going to play, is terribly silly.

    I know it's possibly going MMO. Should it go MMO, I'm not playing it. How am I wrong to say that?

    Learn me. Learn me good.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fuck you Kalkino. Being a slave to Tom Nook should be every man's dreams.

    I guess I was a little harsh, I mean, who else would take a chance on the new guy to town, and would lend him a little pocket money?

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Both of these retailers have just today added Animal Crossing Wii to their databases. Adding credence to the rumour. (or possibly the retailers are responding to the rumour, I am not 100% sure on how these things work)

    Doesn't mean it's an MMO, though. We've known that there would be an Animal Crossing game for the Wii for some time now.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    Both of these retailers have just today added Animal Crossing Wii to their databases. Adding credence to the rumour. (or possibly the retailers are responding to the rumour, I am not 100% sure on how these things work)

    Doesn't mean it's an MMO, though. We've known that there would be an Animal Crossing game for the Wii for some time now.

    Not really, I mean we've known in a "It's obviously in the pipeworks, considering the GC version was quite successful despite being an N64 port, and the DS version was very successful, but iirc Nintendo haven#t announced anything official.

    I mean Pikmin Wii is one the way too, I assume.

    LewieP on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.
    Why? That's terribly silly.
    If you don't actually know why then how can it be terribly silly?

    Because saying that a series is dead to you, especially when you know nothing about how it's going to play, is terribly silly.

    I know it's possibly going MMO. Should it go MMO, I'm not playing it. How am I wrong to say that?

    Learn me. Learn me good.

    Alright, get this:
    Let's say there's another game in the series
    !
    It does not play as an MMO
    (gasp!)
    Oh, but you just won't play it because there's an MMO Animal Crossing out. Maybe you're too busy playing the MMO Animal Crossing?

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    so how can this work?
    -You have your own town, full of animal NPC's, and then you can travel to your friend's towns and interact with them and their NPC's, and then theres a central HUB, maybe a capitol city, completely populated by players.

    or
    -Everyone in the town is a player.

    anyway, "im in ur town, steeling ur fruit"

    paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fuck you Kalkino. Being a slave to Tom Nook should be every man's dreams.

    I guess I was a little harsh, I mean, who else would take a chance on the new guy to town, and would lend him a little pocket money?

    Exactly. No matter how creepy it is for a human to move into a town full of animals, the guy took a chance with you.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Campion wrote: »

    Alright, get this:
    Let's say there's another game in the series
    !
    It does not play as an MMO
    (gasp!)
    Oh, but you just won't play it because there's an MMO Animal Crossing out. Maybe you're too busy playing the MMO Animal Crossing?

    I see your mistake. I said "if Animal Crossing goes MMO". I mean the whole series forever after, obviously. Otherwise, yeah, that would be silly. Not only silly but multra retarded.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm personally hoping that only friends can visit your town and vice-versa, but there is a larger area that many people can go at once (like an urban area or something). I think it'd be great to be able to sell your own things to other people or have games to play with others.

    Ballman on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm. There's too many people camping the damn dragonflies. I shot down presents for 48 hours straight and never saw the "phat purple radio." Axe duel? Cherry towns are ghey.

    Hmm.

    artifexite on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »

    Alright, get this:
    Let's say there's another game in the series
    !
    It does not play as an MMO
    (gasp!)
    Oh, but you just won't play it because there's an MMO Animal Crossing out. Maybe you're too busy playing the MMO Animal Crossing?

    I see your mistake. I said "if Animal Crossing goes MMO". I mean the whole series forever after, obviously. Otherwise, yeah, that would be silly. Not only silly but multra retarded.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.
    You keep using that word (series), I do not think it means what you think it means.

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    I'm personally hoping that only friends can visit your town and vice-versa, but there is a larger area that many people can go at once (like an urban area or something). I think it'd be great to be able to sell your own things to other people or have games to play with others.

    This seems the most logical implementation to me.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »

    Alright, get this:
    Let's say there's another game in the series
    !
    It does not play as an MMO
    (gasp!)
    Oh, but you just won't play it because there's an MMO Animal Crossing out. Maybe you're too busy playing the MMO Animal Crossing?

    I see your mistake. I said "if Animal Crossing goes MMO". I mean the whole series forever after, obviously. Otherwise, yeah, that would be silly. Not only silly but multra retarded.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If Animal Crossing goes MMO the series is dead to me.
    You keep using that word (series), I do not think it means what you think it means.

    Jesus Christ.

    Here: IF EVERY GAME THAT COMES OUT IN THE ANIMAL CROSSING SERIES THAT ISN'T OUT ALEREADY TODAY 10/24/07 IS A MMO THEN I WON'T BE PLAYING THEM.

    There. You can breath now.

    Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fuck you Kalkino. Being a slave to Tom Nook should be every man's dreams.

    I guess I was a little harsh, I mean, who else would take a chance on the new guy to town, and would lend him a little pocket money?

    Exactly. No matter how creepy it is for a human to move into a town full of animals, the guy took a chance with you.

    Wonder how Tom is handling the subprime crisis, I know I for one haven't paid anything for two years now

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
Sign In or Register to comment.