Options

Animal Crossing MMO and DS virtual console rumors

2»

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, don't have a cow just 'cause you couldn't communicate your thoughts correctly.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really think don't think they'll abandon the whole "max of four local players to one town." They can't very well get rid of most of the animals in Animal Crossing. I mean, even the Japanese name has animal in it (Animal Forest).

I think the whole "MMO" thing is just that whenever you're playing, your game will look for an active internet connection and if it has one, more dynamic, server based stuff can happen.

What I'm expecting is an option to go to a random town. Users would be able to post up "Town Rules" on their message boards (that the game actually enforces) that would restrict what visitors can or can't do depending on if they're in your friend list or not. For example, "Visitors not on my friend list can't dig in any space except where something is already buried" or "No axes for any visitors" or, if you want to get more granular, "X person can move around furniture in my house, but can't pick it up."

Or maybe a "sister city" system where you and a friend can pay some money to each other's towns to become sister cities, and then stuff that happens in one affects the other automatically. You'd also be made an honorary citizen of your sister city, removing all posted restrictions on you while you're visiting.

Also, no voice chat (if there is any at all) for people not on your friend list. A given, considering this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Overall, I think it has real potential. Remember for a minute that all "MMO" stands for is "massively multiplayer online." It's the "RPG" part that leds itself to grinds and 1337 h4x0rz, in my opinion.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just want to use my Mii. Or perhaps play as an animal.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    lolfurry

Glal on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    so how can this work?
    -You have your own town, full of animal NPC's, and then you can travel to your friend's towns and interact with them and their NPC's, and then theres a central HUB, maybe a capitol city, completely populated by players.

or
    -Everyone in the town is a player.

anyway, "im in ur town, steeling ur fruit"

I'd prefer the first option. The NPCs are what make AC what it is. Even when you are playing with friends (I had 4 people playing my GC copy), it's the way the NPCs respond to your actions which make it all so entertaining.

The best thing is when they start badmouthing your friends behind their back. So funny :D

If the town just consisted of human players, it would degenrate into a 3D chatroom with f-bombs going off everywhere

Tig on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pfft, farmers and people who do manual labour (like digging for paintings) swear all the time - lets be realistic - saying fuck all the time makes it more real life

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ayep animal crossing strives to be realistic i tell ya what

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like about Animal Crossing on the GCN was the bastard "friends" i had to appease, I guess at least with real people there is a chance that at least some of the people/NPCs i would have to interact with wouldn't be jerks.
    Hey, fuck you, Groucho is one awesome bear, if a little grouchy. One of my favorite villagers together with Aurora, the sweet penguin, and Hector, the sporty cock. It's the snobs I can't stand.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    An MMO ?

HA!

AC wii will have online elements but I seriously doubt it's going to be an MMO. In fact I will eat my cock if it is an MMO. There I said it.

For proof- I present to you nintendo's online plan. Yeah those friend codes pretty much cripple any MMO potential( except PSO I guess).

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Chen wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like about Animal Crossing on the GCN was the bastard "friends" i had to appease, I guess at least with real people there is a chance that at least some of the people/NPCs i would have to interact with wouldn't be jerks.
    Hey, fuck you, Groucho is one awesome bear, if a little grouchy. One of my favorite villagers together with Aurora, the sweet penguin, and Hector, the sporty cock. It's the snobs I can't stand.

I just got sick of them making snide comments after I finished helping them out. The least they could do is wait till I left the building before badmouthing me.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I guess JAEF is going to play Animal Crossing again:
    When 40 townspeople spend countless hours attempting to work their way through Nook's cavernous lair to slay him and end his reign of low low pricey terror, I will play Animal Crossing again.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, if it's still ok to talk about DS downloads, I'm all for that. Pity the DS hardware can't save to itself, otherwise I'd imagine a lot of those games would probably be like downloading demos of DS games. Then again, I don't know how big the demos are, so I could be way off.

But I wonder how Nintendo would treat the games. Straight-up black-and-white? Eyesore Super Game Boy pallettes?

It'd be awesome if the games were given color before release, like Capcom was going to do with Mega Man Mania/Anniversary Collection, and Konami did with their European Game Boy Collections.

Nintendo does have some old Game Boy games that are quite good, I wouldn't mind seeing some of those, like Super Mario Land 2, get revamped instead of the constant ports, much as I love those, too.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    AC wii will have online elements but I seriously doubt it's going to be an MMO. In fact I will eat my cock if it is an MMO. There I said it.

For proof- I present to you nintendo's online plan. Yeah those friend codes pretty much cripple any MMO potential( except PSO I guess).
    Indeed. Animal Crossing is pretty cutesy and inoffensive. Which mean the box alone will appeal to younger players, or seem marketed for kids as far as their parents are concerned. Which means freakouts about pedos, etc.

Which means friend codes. Which means MMO? Sure. If you have massive amounts of 'friends' with animal crossing.

I predict a more fleshed-out take on Wild World with maybe even more emphasis on online trading w/ friends & hanging out in each other's towns. Or even co-habitating a town with a couple 'friends', but that would be problematic because the town data would probably have to be stored on a server.

DS VC though? I know they're gonna try and milk old handheld games eventually, figured it would wait for a DS2 or be Wii only or something. I'd think Wii-DS connectivity where you download a game to the DS's temp mem. then lose it and have to re-transfer would be their first step... flash card though? Hm, maybe.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They could use a system like in Toontown.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    They could use a system like in Toontown.
    Looked it up... that could work... but people (parents, media) seem to get way edgier when consoles are involved. The internet via the family PC is already an established den of sin and evil, a console is perceived as being much more benevolent.

Even with friend codes people are gonna be 'Are pedos molesting your kids straight through the tv screen? Animal Crossing exposed. Tonight at 11.'

Mashalot on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I assume they would just make it like the DS version but more robust online features. Like should you choose, you can have it go online as soon as you start the game and from that moment any friend can come and hang out. It would be awesome. It doesn't need to go massively multiplayer but if they expanded on the DS version it would be incredible.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, if it's still ok to talk about DS downloads, I'm all for that. Pity the DS hardware can't save to itself, otherwise I'd imagine a lot of those games would probably be like downloading demos of DS games. Then again, I don't know how big the demos are, so I could be way off.

But I wonder how Nintendo would treat the games. Straight-up black-and-white? Eyesore Super Game Boy pallettes?

It'd be awesome if the games were given color before release, like Capcom was going to do with Mega Man Mania/Anniversary Collection, and Konami did with their European Game Boy Collections.

Nintendo does have some old Game Boy games that are quite good, I wouldn't mind seeing some of those, like Super Mario Land 2, get revamped instead of the constant ports, much as I love those, too.

Black and white would be okay as long as they weren't black and green. Cool as color Super Mario Land would be, I can't see them colorizing every damn b&w game if they plan on putting them out in any volume.

Saddler on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think it's far more likely that the Wii will function as a download station, similar to demo download stations, for VC DS titles. There really is no way Nintendo would release an official flash card.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think that crisp, backlit black & white would be fine. I put countless hours into my Game Boy Pocket and the lack of color never bothered me. I could see younger gamers being totally confused by it, though.

shyguy on