As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Opensource/Freeware/Cheapo Dreamweaver Alternatives?

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
I'm in this webdesign class, and I've started to skip it because this semester it's been retooled as an introduction to the internet with web design added in. So far, there's a 2 hour lecture on basic uses of the internet (email, searching, etc) followed by 40 minutes of dreamweaver instruction.

I can't stand anymore lectures on the interwebs. So I'm going to try to start doing the work from home. But the dreamweaver trial is only 1 month, and I have 2 months of class left. Are there any decent, cheap alternatives out there?

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TextPad is a pretty good general purpose text editor that comes with built-in syntax highlighting for html.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    zilo wrote: »
    TextPad is a pretty good general purpose text editor that comes with built-in syntax highlighting for html.

We don't hand-code in this class. We learned very very basic html, and since then we've been using nothing but the design mode in dreamweaver. The instructor doesn't even have a web design background; they lost their old person and they brought in the java teacher to temp for this semester. Remember, it's also a class for people who've never used a computer at this point, and it's figured coding would be well beyond them.

Which is why I need a graphical tool. Because they haven't taught us anything harder than <a href=>

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mozilla composer? (Although real men hand-code their html.)

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Mozilla composer? (Although real men hand-code their html.)

It's hard to hard code when your web design class doesn't teach you how.

It's even harder when your instructor doesn't know how either.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i think i used nvu for a while. it seemed to work pretty well

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ask for the course material until the end of semester, do it all in the 1 month trial.

If the course material is based in Dreamweaver you are unlikely to find a decent free WYSIWYG editor that matches the features that they may touch on.

If you plan to do webdesign beyond this class, I'd recommend teaching yourself HTML/CSS anyway. www.w3schools.com is a great place to start.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Ask for the course material until the end of semester, do it all in the 1 month trial.

If the course material is based in Dreamweaver you are unlikely to find a decent free WYSIWYG editor that matches the features that they may touch on.

If you plan to do webdesign beyond this class, I'd recommend teaching yourself HTML/CSS anyway. www.w3schools.com is a great place to start.

I don't plan on it. I'm a CIS/Computer Support major, but you have to take a beginner-level class in every computer field (office, information systems theory, database, networking, web design, java programming) to get the associates.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In that case, I'd grab the course material and do it all in the trial period.

Unless you have to do an assignment at the end of semester in Dreamweaver that he/she won't set until after your trial is done. In which case you may have a problem.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    In that case, I'd grab the course material and do it all in the trial period.

Unless you have to do an assignment at the end of semester in Dreamweaver that he/she won't set until after your trial is done. In which case you may have a problem.

That's kind of the opposite of the case. The big assignment was given on day one and due in mid-december, but the in class projects are made up by him on-the-fly durring or immediately before class.

Edit: So I'm saving the trial for the final project.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://aptana.com/

That is all.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »

That is all.

That doesn't look like it has any graphical/wysiwyg features at all.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

That is all.

Well, why on earth would you want that?

You aren't going to find a worthwhile free WYSYWIG editor. Even the ones that cost money suck ass.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

That is all.

Well, why on earth would you want that?

You aren't going to find a worthwhile free WYSYWIG editor. Even the ones that cost money suck ass.

Read the thread.

HadjiQuest on