As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherein we discuss: Chuck vs [adjective] [noun]

• Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I'm gonna enjoy
    The wedding, when it happens. I can't wait to see Chuck have the CIA get his dad to the wedding.
    knowing the show the dad is CIA or some other secret organization.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If this were Heroes, it would be that Chuck was genetically engineered by his dad just so that he could process the intersect.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This show is good.

Adam Baldwin is a real dude.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really would hate it if
    Chuck's dad was CIA or whatnot. I mean, I guess it's possible, even probable, but I'm not a fan of it.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's one thing I really liked about the Lou episodes in the first season.
    I expected her to be a gunrunner, because everyone in Chuck's life is a spy, but she was just a simple pastrami smuggler.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I forgot to mention how hilarious Casey's hairstyle was in the flashback to his training days.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, that whole scene was delightfully bad 80s/90s karate movie.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I forgot to mention how hilarious Casey's hairstyle was in the flashback to his training days.

it doesn't beat his disguise as a waiter a couple episodes ago.

:lol:

Clevinger on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chuck's dad
    I hope he's just a regular guy. I mean, it would be a bit much to have everyone in Chuck's life be a spy

This episode was good.
    The end, with Chuck telling his sister he'll get their dad for her wedding, was moving.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Watched the Christmas episode.
    Wow. When Chuck turned around in the tree store I was predicting a couple possibilities. I was thinking either Chuck comes in at an opportune moment and helps Sarah get the guy, resulting in a Romantic Moment (TM). That or the guy gets shot while he's choking her or something, and you see Chuck with the gun, having finally been forced to kill someone.

What actually happened, though...wow. I mean, all of the spies have been shown as pretty ambiguous re: morality, but that was pretty hardcore. I'm super interested to see where all this goes. When Sarah said "I won't let anyone hurt you" or whatever her exact words were, I was like "Heartwarming" and just assumed I was imagining a tinge of obsession. Now I'm not so sure.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Two grave misunderstandings that could easily be resolved by the characters talking to each other is a bit much for one episode.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Two grave misunderstandings that could easily be resolved by the characters talking to each other is a bit much for one episode.

Only one was a misunderstanding. And the parallels were obviously intentional.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

Only one was a misunderstanding. And the parallels were obviously intentional.
    Chuck doesn't see the Fulcrum agent promise to get the information out eventually and ruin Chuck's life. He thought Sarah was just being cold-blooded.

Morgan sees Anna kissing Lester and assumes the worst.

How are these not both misunderstandings?

Also, my complaint is that the unfortunate misunderstanding is kind of a cliche, and doubling the cliche only makes it more annoying.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, I think it's pretty interesting. I don't think that Sarah's actions are as easily explained away as you seem to think, Robos. And like Pants said, the parallels are intentional.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think her actions are VERY easily explained away. Chuck just needs to realize that
    this is life and death we're talking about. His life IS IN DANGER. This means Sarah and Casey will have to eliminate people who would kill him.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    I think her actions are VERY easily explained away. Chuck just needs to realize that
    this is life and death we're talking about. His life IS IN DANGER. This means Sarah and Casey will have to eliminate people who would kill him.
    Chuck has been threatened with an eternity in a CIA bunker when nearly exposed before, so that's always an option. The Fulcrum agent's death wasn't necessary to preserve Chuck's existence, it was necessary to preserve his life as he knew it, a vital distinction. Your explanation would serve if his death were the only way to keep Chuck alive, but since it isn't, you have to look at it differently.

Depending on how the story evolves, an explanation might eliminate most of the tension, but I for one think it'll be really interesting to see what they do with this, because it seems like you've got a trained killing machine rather desperately in love with a Nerd Herder, who reciprocates the affection. I mean, he gives the woman a charm bracelet and she's ready to kill for him.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chuck has been threatened with an eternity in a CIA bunker when nearly exposed before, so that's always an option. The Fulcrum agent's death wasn't necessary to preserve Chuck's existence, it was necessary to preserve his life as he knew it, a vital distinction. Your explanation would serve if his death were the only way to keep Chuck alive, but since it isn't, you have to look at it differently.

Depending on how the story evolves, an explanation might eliminate most of the tension, but I for one think it'll be really interesting to see what they do with this, because it seems like you've got a trained killing machine rather desperately in love with a Nerd Herder, who reciprocates the affection. I mean, he gives the woman a charm bracelet and she's ready to kill for him.

I think that
    the fact that its obvious Fulcrum can get people into secure CIA facilities is what determined his fate. If he (Michael Rooker) lived, there's always a chance he gets the info out and they go after Chuck. If he didn't, there's no chance he can do that. So I don't feel its as simple as Sarah trying to keep Chuck in his current situation.

The larger questions I had were about the "robber". Did Rooker's character let him in on what was happening and why prior to him taking Chuck? After all, he's still alive, and that could pose problems. And, since Fulcrum knew Casey and Sarah were agents protecting someone, won't they just continue to try to flush out whom they are protecting?

Also, my favorite moment was seeing Reginald VelJohnson (the cop from Die Hard -- and Family Matters) back involved in a hostage situation. And when he was calling Big Mike "partner". Nice little ode to Die Hard.

badpoet on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just want to say that Chuck is my favourite show (with Pushing Daisies) and that I love every character.
    Especially Casey.

When I read "Unleash the Casey" a few episodes back, I almost died from laughter.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    badpoet wrote: »

I think that
    the fact that its obvious Fulcrum can get people into secure CIA facilities is what determined his fate. If he (Michael Rooker) lived, there's always a chance he gets the info out and they go after Chuck. If he didn't, there's no chance he can do that. So I don't feel its as simple as Sarah trying to keep Chuck in his current situation.

The larger questions I had were about the "robber". Did Rooker's character let him in on what was happening and why prior to him taking Chuck? After all, he's still alive, and that could pose problems. And, since Fulcrum knew Casey and Sarah were agents protecting someone, won't they just continue to try to flush out whom they are protecting?

Also, my favorite moment was seeing Reginald VelJohnson (the cop from Die Hard -- and Family Matters) back involved in a hostage situation. And when he was calling Big Mike "partner". Nice little ode to Die Hard.
    Well, there's also the fact that if Fulcrum knew who Chuck was, his entire family and friends would be in danger too.
    Also, why does no one in Fulcrum ever phone in as soon as Chuck is revealed? It would take like 10 seconds. Hell, Bryce managed to upload an entire supercomputer off a PalmPilot in under a minute.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This show is fun.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    very fun

Clevinger on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The one thing lacking in this episode was gratuitous undressing.

You're slacking, writers.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It made up for it with gratuitous cleavage shots.

While watching the show I always wonder how Yvonne (the actress who plays Sarah) feels about the many undressing/pandering hot slow-motion scenes. I imagine it must be a mix of flattery and annoyance.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    While watching the show I always wonder how Yvonne (the actress who plays Sarah) feels about the many undressing/pandering hot slow-motion scenes. I imagine it must be a mix of flattery and annoyance.

It's her break into American television, and as a main cast member of a popular show, no less. She's probably quite willing to put up with it until she starts getting enough offers to be able to get away with demanding less of that stuff.

theSquid on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Remember the slow motion scene of her in that red hooker dress?

I wonder what her parents say to that ^^

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's cleavage. It's not like they're having her show camel toe like they did with Marina Sirtis in TNG.

GungHo on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm so glad Michael Rooker has made such a great career of playing an ASSHOLE. In fact, there was one movie, I forget the name, where there was an asshole-off between Michael Rooker and Robert Patrick.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'd imagine the money somewhat dulls any indignation.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, anyone watch the 3D episode from yesterday? I haven't yet, but I was wondering if it turned out to be fun or gimmicky.
    Or both!

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Taximes wrote: »
    So, anyone watch the 3D episode from yesterday? I haven't yet, but I was wondering if it turned out to be fun or gimmicky.
    Or both!

It was a bit distracting since I didn't have the 3-D glasses. It was a decent episode but it definitely featured a couple cheap tricks

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It wasn't very 3D, presumably because they knew they were going to be a number of people who didn't have 3D glasses, and didn't want to totally ruin the experience for them. This, unfortunately, made the parts that actually looked 3D few and far between, and rather than deal with that I just took the glasses off and enjoyed myself, pretending that the color setting on my TV was slightly tweaked.

Dac on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yay, I spent the last month catching up on season 1 and 2, and then last night was able to watch in real-time fully caught up. Hoorah. That also means I don't have to avoid this thread.

Sarah is smoking hot. My wife thinks her mouth looks weird and thus she is completely unattractive. She even tried to claim while we were watching season 1 episodes that Rachel Bilson was 10 times hotter than Yvonne.

At least I know my wife is not secretly a lesbian.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have noticed it to. She talks with her back teeth clenched.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My attention must be directed elsewhere...

boobies

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mattie wrote: »

How can you just clench your back teeth?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IntangirIntangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I watched it with the glasses, the 3d effect wasn't amazing or horrible either, it seemed mostly to be used to add depth to the scenes rather than have stuff pop out at you, though Big Mike's donut popped out really well, that was probably the best use of it in the whole show. It seemed like they could have done a lot more with it, car chases, explosions, people leaping into the screen, but what was there wasn't bad either.

Other than that I thought the episode was a tad flat, not bad, but it just didn't have me laughing like most of them do. Oh well, just glad it's back on!
    Chuck's 'nightmare' was great, and I'm glad he talked to Sarah about shooting that guy, that woudl have gotten really annoying if they dragged it out. Also, Butterman totally should have gone to the concert and clothes-lined the terrorist.

Intangir on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mattie wrote: »

How can you just clench your back teeth?

She doesn't move her jaws when she talks. That's simpler.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, is Butterman gone? I was a tad unclear on that. I mean, it seems like he would be a great addition to the Buy More staff.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    So, is Butterman gone? I was a tad unclear on that. I mean, it seems like he would be a great addition to the Buy More staff.
    Yeah one time guest appearance I think for the Superbowl

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pity. They need a Terry Tate. (Though I guess they could always paint Casey brown.)

Dac on