As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A phone for Texting only?

altmannaltmann Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Guys I have a conundrum:

My work gave me a blackberry to use and I can use it for whatever, the problem is this:

I have a cell phone already BUT the blackberry doesn't do text messages which i use so much that I really haven't gotten rid of my other phone.

My question is, is there a text message only plan or something I can get with Verizon? I would like to keep that functionality but I don't want to pay an extra $60-70/month for it.

Thanks.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
altmann on

• Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How does the Blackberry NOT do texting?

meeker on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    meeker wrote: »
    How does the Blackberry NOT do texting?

Company may have it on lock down.

As for the TXTing only - I cant think of a phone that only does that, but you could no doubt buy the dirtiest absolute CHEAPEST voice-plan, and then tack on unlimited texting.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    TashTash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only phone that I know that has texting/internet/messaging for $30/month is a Sidekick. The phone is complete shit though.

Tash on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd like to know more information regarding this Blackberry of yours.

EDIT: I ask mainly because our company gives Blackberries to our managers and VPs so they can communicate with one another. The Blackberry is like 30% texting/emailing so it's kinda stupid to have that portion blocked.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Could you switch to using pay as you go (calling cards) for texting?

blanknogo on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some of the newer Blackberries we've been getting from Verizon don't have Messenger (the texting app) installed. I've had to load that myself for the end users.

EDIT: Here's the link to the software but you have to use IE for the page: http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=bbm

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tash wrote: »
    The only phone that I know that has texting/internet/messaging for $30/month is a Sidekick. The phone is complete shit though.

Whoa whoa whoa. The sidekick II was the best phone I've ever owned. It lasted for two years with nary a hitch. The interface is very power-user friendly, and the keyboard is better than any blackberry out there. Or did you mean actual voice calls? I will agree that reception on it sucks, but when everything except your minutes is unlimited, you don't really need to be talking on it that much. Also the proxied AIM is awesome.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TashTash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Whoa whoa whoa. The sidekick II was the best phone I've ever owned. It lasted for two years with nary a hitch. The interface is very power-user friendly, and the keyboard is better than any blackberry out there. Or did you mean actual voice calls? I will agree that reception on it sucks, but when everything except your minutes is unlimited, you don't really need to be talking on it that much. Also the proxied AIM is awesome.

The SKII was a great phone. I owned one for little over a year. But if you're going to talk SK3, then I have yet to hear a good thing about it. Every person that I know that rushed to get a SK3 because it was the "cool" thing to have has went through no less than 2-3 of them because of problems and has switched over to some sort of new "cool" phone (mainly a blackberry).

Tash on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    altmann wrote: »
    Guys I have a conundrum:

My work gave me a blackberry to use and I can use it for whatever, the problem is this:

I have a cell phone already BUT the blackberry doesn't do text messages which i use so much that I really haven't gotten rid of my other phone.

My question is, is there a text message only plan or something I can get with Verizon? I would like to keep that functionality but I don't want to pay an extra $60-70/month for it.

Thanks.

So what you're saying is that you can't go to Messages --> Menu --> Compose SMS Text?
    Just want to be clear. It is possible that your company has disabled it by policy, but it seems incredibly unlikely.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I cannot go to messeges --> Menu -->compose SMS text.

I'm using the 7510 which has the Nextel PTT network and I have confirmed it: NO SMS TEXTING. It's rather old and in my dept we use them mainly for the PTT feature and email. I know it's kinda stupid having a gadget that can do everything BUT text...

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

The SKII was a great phone. I owned one for little over a year. But if you're going to talk SK3, then I have yet to hear a good thing about it. Every person that I know that rushed to get a SK3 because it was the "cool" thing to have has went through no less than 2-3 of them because of problems and has switched over to some sort of new "cool" phone (mainly a blackberry).

I was one of those that went to get a SK3. I sent it back after I used it for a weekend. Fuck that thing. Fuck the stupid clitoral input method. Fuck the clackity hinge. Fuck the small buttons. etc.

I'm very happy with my iPhone, even though I thought nothing would please me more than my SKII.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can your Blackberry send email?

You can send texts to most phones as emails as long as you know who the provider is. It's kind of a pain if you're meeting new people, but if you're just texting people you already know, all you have to do is plug the appropriate email address in your contact list.

usually the appropriate email address is (mobile number here)@(provider domain here).com. For instance, if my friend's phone number is (808) 555-1212, then emails to the following addresses would be sent as a text to his phone:

AT&T: 8085551212@mmode.com
    Sprint: 8085551212@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: 8085551212@vtext.com
    T-Mobile: 8085551212@tmomail.net
    Nextel: 8085551212@messaging.nextel.com

I do this all the time with my friends because I'd much rather type a text from my keyboard if given the option.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Try a 2-way pager.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    E-mailing texts.
    Or you could just put teleflip behind it instead.
    I never had a problem with it.

Mmmm... Cocks... on