As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPGs/SRPG/Japanese games in 2008 - Who's getting what?

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wait, did Ketchum_Ash really get banned again? I don't see him mentioned in the Who's Banned thread.

Also, can anyone explain the WiiWare FF:CC to me? All I have seen is the trailer with people standing in a town square and talking. That was all that happened and I am kind of nervous that you never leave the town in the game. Is there any more info to actually get me excited about it.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Wait, did Ketchum_Ash really get banned again? I don't see him mentioned in the Who's Banned thread.

Also, can anyone explain the WiiWare FF:CC to me? All I have seen is the trailer with people standing in a town square and talking. That was all that happened and I am kind of nervous that you never leave the town in the game. Is there any more info to actually get me excited about it.

It plays like King's Story where in you manage your kingdom (have things built, defend from enemies, keep people fed and happy, etc) though I don't really know the details of it all or if you are able to leave the town but I'd assume so for quests, expansion and maybe invasion.
    steve-o99 wrote:
    Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World
    Tales of Vesperia

I thought we were sticking to NA releases but yeah Tales games are coming up. When they do get released it's time for some more 4 player rpging.

Joule on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So it's a sim game then?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Say, that Valkyrie game looks spiffy. Mighty spiffy.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited February 2008
    A FF stylized sim game yeah pretty much.

Joule on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah Valkyrie of the Battlefield looks great. Lots of videos for it on Gametrailers that kinda explain the battle system. I say "kinda" because they're all in japanese, but you can get the gist from the visuals.

Renzo on
    edited February 2008
    I hope that the Canvas engine that Valkyrie uses, is also used other games. I love that style.

Joule on
  • AbriaelAbriael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah it's absolutely lovely. And the best thing is that it isn't used just for cutscenes, but for actual gameplay too :D

But what i'm most looking forward to, is definately the story, that looks really really on par with what Japanese games got us used to :D

Abriael on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yep, for being an idiot yet again.

And yeah, Valkyrie Chronicles, as it's now called, looks pretty damn sweet. I find it funny that it's being developed by Sega though, the last good SRPG they put out was what, Shining Force 3? :lol:

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AbriaelAbriael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And yeah, Valkyrie Chronicles, as it's now called, looks pretty damn sweet. I find it funny that it's being developed by Sega though, the last good SRPG they put out was what, Shining Force 3? :lol:

Actually from what i heard it's a lil different from the usual srpg. It's strategic, but after moving a character on the overhead map it turns into a quasi-fps in wich you aim and shoot in a first person perspective until your AP are out.
    Pretty weird, but it could be a nice change of pace if it works well.

Abriael on
    edited February 2008

Yep, for being an idiot yet again.

Skies of Arcadia? I'm no buff on Sega rpgs but I keep hearing that their rpgs have always been pretty solid or extraordinary by some people.

Joule on
    edited February 2008
    Abriael wrote: »

Actually from what i heard it's a lil different from the usual srpg. It's strategic, but after moving a character on the overhead map it turns into a quasi-fps in wich you aim and shoot in a first person perspective until your AP are out.

Yeah, I realise that. But still, the SRPG sub-genre is the probably the closest you're really going to get when classifying it.

Joule: Sorry, I can understand why the different sub-genres may get confusing. JRPG's refer to the traditional FF/DQ-esque fighting system, Action RPG refers to more action orientated RPG's like Kingdom Hearts and SRPG's refer to the more strategic RPG's like Disgaea, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics. In this case, Skies of Arcadia is a JRPG.

As for Sega itself, at one point during the 16 bit war they were putting out some of the best RPG's on the market, including Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force and Shining Force 2. Since then though, they've been pretty dedicated to running the Phantasy Star and Shining Force franchises into the ground.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited February 2008

Yeah, I realise that. But still, the SRPG sub-genre is the probably the closest you're really going to get when classifying it.

Joule: Sorry, I can understand why the different sub-genres may get confusing. JRPG's refer to the traditional FF/DQ-esque fighting system, Action RPG refers to more action orientated RPG's like Kingdom Hearts and SRPG's refer to the more strategic RPG's like Disgaea, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics. In this case, Skies of Arcadia is a JRPG.

As for Sega itself, at one point during the 16 bit war they were putting out some of the best RPG's on the market, including Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force and Shining Force 2. Since then though, they've been pretty dedicated to running the Phantasy Star and Shining Force franchises into the ground.

Oh I missed that S(RPG). Oh then yeah. Shining Force 3 is probably the only thing I'd think of.

I've started playing Phantasy Star and I'm quite impressed with it. Hard to believe it was as advanced as it was on the Master System.

Joule on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But what i'm most looking forward to, is definately the story, that looks really really on par with what Japanese games got us used to :D
    I think you mean that as a good thing, but I'm hoping the story goes well above par with what Japanese games have gotten me used to.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just bought a ps3 for FFXIII and MGS4... glad to know there are at least a few other games I will like coming out on it! Not much out now, though... any recommendations for anything out now for an rpg fan?

fallaxdraco on
    edited February 2008
    I just bought a ps3 for FFXIII and MGS4... glad to know there are at least a few other games I will like coming out on it! Not much out now, though... any recommendations for anything out now for an rpg fan?

As of now there's not much to choose from. Enchanted Arms, Folklore and Oblivion are the only 3 I can think of.

Nearly everything else is still in development. Valkyrie of the battlefield is probably the next one up unless Last Remnant comes out sooner.

Joule on
    edited February 2008
    Already played oblivion, so if you had a limited amount of money, would you get enchanted arms or folklore? :)

fallaxdraco on
    edited February 2008
    I'd say Folklore. Enchanted Arms from what I've heard is pretty mediocre. You'd probably want the opinion of someone who's played both or at least one of them more extensively than me.

Joule on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd read Etoychest's reviews of Folklore and Enchanted Arms. I haven't played Enchanted Arms, and I enjoyed Folklore, but glancing at the reviews I would choose based on whether you want a typical turn based rpg (Enchanted Arms) or a action/adventure rpg (Folklore).

khain on
    edited February 2008
    Oh sweet! I just found the folklore demo on the store thing, if I like it I'll buy it.

fallaxdraco on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy shit. Persona 3 FES, in less than 2 months.

How the HELL did Atlus sit on that for so long?

KiTA on
    edited February 2008
    I never bought Persona 3, but I'm all over FES. I've heard too much good stuff to just ignore it. Gametrailers loved P3. I want to see what the deal is.

Renzo on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I found myself seriously impressed with the first couple chapters of Folklore that I was able to play over this past weekend on my friend's PS3. Instant purchase when I get a PS3 of my own.

cheez on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Joule wrote: »
    I'd say Folklore. Enchanted Arms from what I've heard is pretty mediocre. You'd probably want the opinion of someone who's played both or at least one of them more extensively than me.

I haven't played Folklore, but the 360 version of Enchanted Arms was a pretty average RPG in every aspect except for graphics (which were decent). On top of that, I've heard the PS3 version isn't a very good port. In short, you'd be better off just picking up a PS2 RPG that you haven't played yet than picking up Enchanted Arms.

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2008
    Oh sweet! I just found the folklore demo on the store thing, if I like it I'll buy it.

Yeah, like RainbowDespair says, if the Folklore demo doesn't do it for you a ps2 rpg is best choice. PERSONA 3 FES in two months... or anything else that catches your fancy.

Joule on
    edited February 2008
    Joule wrote: »

I haven't played Folklore, but the 360 version of Enchanted Arms was a pretty average RPG in every aspect except for graphics (which were decent). On top of that, I've heard the PS3 version isn't a very good port. In short, you'd be better off just picking up a PS2 RPG that you haven't played yet than picking up Enchanted Arms.

I see. I'll definitely be picking up persona 3 fes then, and probably folklore as well...(The demo is probably done by now but now I'm at work) In the meanwhile i am thinking about getting wild arms for the ps1 off the sony store so i can play it on my psp, but I am worried that the too many random encounters that are in every old rpg will ruin the fun, i've been spoiled by new games :) I think I will look up a wild arms review or something.

fallaxdraco on
  • steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Actually you sillies Tales of Symphonia 2 hits NA fall 2008...

It was on the cover of the newest nintendo power and is the main panel on ign front page right now

article

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Theres a plethora of other games being worked on for release in 2008 that would fall under all systems, just need to do your research.

Roxtar on
    edited February 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »
    Actually you sillies Tales of Symphonia 2 hits NA fall 2008...

It was on the cover of the newest nintendo power and is the main panel on ign front page right now

article

So it is. I admit I didn't pay too much attention to the dates when all that news hit a little ago. A little burned out on tales at the moment.

Edit: Huh actually ToV's also been confirmed for this year as well. http://allrpg.com/site/index.php/news/namco-bandai-officially-announces-two-new-tales-games-for-the-us-02/27/08.html

Joule on
    edited February 2008
    What all is due out this month and next?

KiTA on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Nothing left for February. March is getting (off the top of my head):

Super Smash Bros Brawl (of course)
    Wild Arms XF
    FF7: Crisis Core
    Okami Wii Edition
    Oopona
    Baroque

There may be a few more. But thats all I can think of.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh wow, Oopona is coming out next month, huh? Any word if that's any good?

urahonky on
    edited February 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Wild Arms XF
    Okami Wii Edition
    Oopona
    Baroque

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3
    God of War Chains of Olympus

Naruto is looking pretty dang good. They didn't fuck with the characters, Japanese VO is an option, etc. It looks like it made the trip over unscathed.

Renzo on
    edited February 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

Wild Arms XF
    Okami Wii Edition
    Oopona
    Baroque

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3

Naruto is looking pretty dang good. They didn't fuck with the characters, Japanese VO is an option, etc. It looks like it made the trip over unscathed.

O_o God of War isn't Japanese in the slightest.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited February 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

Wild Arms XF
    Okami Wii Edition
    Oopona
    Baroque

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3

O_o God of War isn't Japanese in the slightest.

True. I thought this was just a JRPG thread, and then I saw Smash Bros and said, "Whatever"

But now I see that it's for Japanese games in general. So yeah...nevermind...

Wait. What if God of War were a Japanese game?

Renzo on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone who is a fan of the Tales series to the point of importing, one of the more unique tales games, Tales of Rebirth, is coming out on PSP in Japan like mid-march. This is good cause no worries of modding some system, since PSP doesnt have that region shit. Plus, if you cant read Japanese, there is a partial and literal translation that gets the main story done for the whole game on Gamefaqs. BUT, there is someone who has done subbing for the majority of the story up to about 3/4 of the game, as well as tutorials explaning the menus and such. Here is a link to his page on youtube.

I know I havent imported in a long ass time (since FF5 on Sfamicom) but this Tales has one of the most unique combats that I have seen. Plus, it makes a gorgeous PSP game.

Kai_San on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's my list for next month:

Super Smash Bros
    FFCC: Ring of Fates
    Lost in Blue 3
    Baroque
    Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3
    Harvest Moon Cute
    Opoona
    Mana Khemia

It's gonna be a thin month. :(

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2008
    What was released this month that I might have missed, then? I haven't bought a new RPG in a while, so wondering if I just haven't been paying close enough attention. ;)

KiTA on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shit, Harvest Moon too? I thought that month was just going to be reserved for Smash Bros.

urahonky on
  • The WalrusThe Walrus ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Culdcept saga dissapoint anyone else? I cannot get immersed in this, gameplay is so so, story is awful

The Walrus on
    http://wreck-age.net Home of your soon to be favorite post-collapse, dystopian, SF Table Top Strategy game & RPG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyacinthgames/a-tabletop-rpg-and-board-games-project-from-chicag