As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eden (NSFW)

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
Couple of pictures I have been working on for awhile, but have actually had the time to finish them in the last few days.

mydear.jpg

This one isn't quite done, but its getting close.
catchingthebreeze.jpg

EDIT: and a quickie
goldlion.jpg

wakkawa on

• Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    genius work as always wakka
    wish i could draw (women) that well

XAL on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do you paint with a giant erection?

Good, good stuff :P

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That first piece is absolutely amazing.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I stared at that first piece for twenty minute, just admiring the talent

Goddamn Wakka, how do we know you are even human?

Projeck on
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those are amazing

Dadouw on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    is it just me, or does the girl in the first one look a bit flat? o_O mostly in the area around her navel, kinda like her bones got taken out and she went "squish."

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I question the theology of your artwork.

Which isn't bad . . . some of the Renaissance masters painted the Virgin Mary with highly sexual overtones, for heaven's sake. And good golly, how much time do you spend planning your pieces versus how much of it just falls into place? I'm especially looking at the quality of light in the two finished pieces, and how the various objects cast shadow.

BenGPT on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    BenGPT wrote: »
    I question the theology of your artwork.

Which isn't bad . . . some of the Renaissance masters painted the Virgin Mary with highly sexual overtones, for heaven's sake. And good golly, how much time do you spend planning your pieces versus how much of it just falls into place? I'm especially looking at the quality of light in the two finished pieces, and how the various objects cast shadow.

well, the second one's lighting doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - is it coming from slightly in front or behind her?

her face/neck differ from the fallen pillar's shadows

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only problem I have with the first one is, the hair just looks really modern, with it being eden and all...

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There are some structural issues with the ribcage/pelvis relationship in the first piece. While the pose reads, it feels disjointed and a bit awkward. It also seems odd that her body is moving back in space but we are looking at her face straight on. It makes her head seem like it is part of a different image just pasted on here or something. Also her left arm is out of the range of normal human movement (making it feel broken).

But overall its a really nice piece. I mean it, I love the texture on the fabric, and how it bunches up in her grasp, though it doesnt seem to be interacting with her left foot as I would expect it to.

Keep up the awesome work.

rts on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Everything is purty, like usual, but the wings on the 2nd one bother me...they wouldn't really work. The large feathers are too large, I think.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    something about the perspective in the first drawing is just off. It may be the back walls are either too small or the woman is too big. Also, that snake is too heavy to be hanging on that branch.

Really good stuff though. The first drawing is still a naked woman, but it feels different from your past nude women

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you'd be surprised about snakes and what they can precariously balance on.
    the snake is not putting his weight completely on the branch, he's only bracing himself on it.
    they don't distribute weight like normal animals. they can essentially distribute it evenly throughout their entire body.
    if it was his whole body on the branch, then indeed the branch would snap
    but note that the bulkiest part of him is actually on the bed(?)

i've got a pair of ball pythons that always surprise me with their agility. they have these fake plants that actually look a lot like the ones in the picture, and they're always doing weird snake acrobatics on them.

beavotron on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Everything is purty, like usual, but the wings on the 2nd one bother me...they wouldn't really work. The large feathers are too large, I think.

It's physically impossible for a human to fly with wings growing out of their back, it's unfeasible and just doesn't really work (They probably tested it on myth busters or something, I forget where I heard this). With that in mind, I think it's best to just throw physics or naturalism out of the window and let people with wings who can fly simply be able to because it's more than just physics. Bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly either for that matter. So for an illustration, like in this case, aesthetic should be main focus, which is of course pulled off damn well (imo) so far.

If it's proven impossible, draw whatever the hell you want. Presuming Wakkawa designed her as a flying creature and her wings aren't just for show, then she can fly. Simply because her story, her fiction requires her to.

This is all assuming Wakkawa meant her to, since he made it. I mean once you get past fundamental anatomy and into the fantasy realm, believability isn't out the window but it's certainly not as crucial as 'what does a person look like?'

meh. /2 cents

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Haha yeah, that first picture was a bitch to get right. I didn't really have a reference, so I was having a hell of a time to make it not look so flat. It use to be really, really bad but I did manage to pop her out some more than before. I'll definately play with it later when I have the time. her orginal design had really, really short hair cus I did want her to have a more modern look. I ended up making it longer for a slightly more nature style though.

The pose was meant to feel uncomfortable. I can do that arm thing myself, but it really hurts. The head though could be tilted to the side a bit I guess.

The snake thing is understandable. I have never really seen what a snake can do in person, and for that illustration I bent the rules a bit for gravity. I couldn't think of anything else to put it on as I wanted it hanging down by her face, so I just took what I had to get it finished. A lot of the times I get hung up on things like that and I spend hours trying to fix it. :/

How I plan things like these, atleast for digital, is I start with a really rough sketch. After I get that done, I go searching for references and try to get the sketch a little bit more cleaned up. I then do a couple quick color studies until I get something I like, then its straight into the picture. there isn't all that much process work, but there is some.

The second ones lighting for the horizontal pillar is awkward. I'll have to go back and fix that, haha. Thanks for pointing that out.

The wings... I kinda agree with them being a bit too big. Once I get the time I'll probably make them look a little more like this:
    http://www.kiroastro.com/images/va/7833.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wakkawa wrote: »
    The wings... I kinda agree with them being a bit too big. Once I get the time I'll probably make them look a little more like this:
    http://www.kiroastro.com/images/va/7833.jpg

Yeah. :^:

Lalilulelo wrote: »
    It's physically impossible for a human to fly with wings growing out of their back, it's unfeasible and just doesn't really work (They probably tested it on myth busters or something, I forget where I heard this). With that in mind, I think it's best to just throw physics or naturalism out of the window and let people with wings who can fly simply be able to because it's more than just physics. Bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly either for that matter. So for an illustration, like in this case, aesthetic should be main focus, which is of course pulled off damn well (imo) so far.

Obviously, I understand wings on a human like that would not allow the human to fly. I'm not saying the wings are wrong because "they're on a human and, well, that can't work!"...nor am I saying that "olol it's a fantasy illustration so you can do whatever the hell you want and let believability be up to the viewer, whether or not the idea seems plausible at all" (which frankly, I find ridiculous in your reasoning).

Just because dragons, faeries, gryphons, winged-humans, etc are "fantastical" does not mean that physics and everything else flies out of the window. If you're drawing a large, heavy dragon that's mid-flight, you're not going to draw 'dinky little wings with mesh webbing' on the thing. You're going to make the wings look like they can at least function as wings. The plausibility of the wings lifting the creature? Okay, that's a bit more of a grey area, but you want to make it look like it's at least somewhat possible. Again, you wouldn't give the dragon something like flimsy fly-wings and expect them to hold up a multi-ton creature.

The problem I had with the wings on wakkawa's human was that they wouldn't function as wings at all - out of context, regardless of what they're attached to. Try securely attaching feather quills that size to the thin, fragile flesh-part of the wing. It would not work. Try also creating a wing that has a single layer of barely/non-overlapping, flexible feathers. That wouldn't work either. The feathers would have to be stiff, strong, and create a solid "area of feather" to have any air resistance at all. It's all in the structure of the thing. Just because it's from a fantasy world doesn't mean that the artist can do whatever they want and say "well of course it would work, it's make-believe". You have to convince the viewer of some plausibility.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes of course. Plausibility/believability/verisimilitude is necessary, absolutely. We basically agree on that, just... I'm a little more liberal about it is all. I'm willing to take suspension of disbelief further on things when I know they aren't real in the first place, though I wouldn't go off the deep end of tiny wings on giant creatures and saying, "That like, totally works, lol," I just feel, and this is in no way making your point any less valid, because I don't necessarily disagree with what you just said, what's most important to me in an image, aside from believability is the form all the parts of the picture ultimately serve. Yes the wings are functionally busticated (no offense wakkawa!), but they make my eyes happy, and that holds rank over it, to me.

Cheers.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    eh

She's got a halo, and she's floating. The wings really dont need to function, as we are clearly in the realm of magic here.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MKR wrote: »

Also:
    Read the link, it's not hard...

Jeak on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As I clicked on the topic, I saw the creator and mumbled to myself, "This is going to be badass."

I was not incorrect.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jeak wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

Also:
    Read the link, it's not hard...

Which does a piss poor job of explaining it. The Cornel link explains it in clear language. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    Highlander_77Highlander_77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else unable to view these? Is the host down?

Highlander_77 on
    El_Pollo_Diablo.jpg"Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!"
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wasn't able to see them at work (I fear few NSFW tags there, at least with the PA forums thus far that is), but I can see them now.

Edit: that aside, incredible work. Art's not really my thing, per se, so I can't really give anything resembling constructive criticism, but I love what I've seen.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On the first one (WOW, BTW) my only beef is with the snake. Now I won't complain about the positioning of the body and or gravity or anything silly like that. What I will question is what did that thing eat? There appears to be noticeable bulge (or maybe it's a dent) in the snake's body around where it's resting on the lower frond. It appears, from this angle, that the body tapers to about 1/2 its original diameter and then re-expands to normal size. I guess that it is possible that it's just hidden behind the frond/rotated away from view, but then the snake would be falling off, toward the background.

On the third one (did we see that before?) I notice that a lot of focus was given to the face and chest, which is fine, hell that's what I'd do. However, it would appear that her toes have suffered because of this. Now the way I see it, she has 3 toes, and 2 half toes, or she's able to curl her last two toes and not her first three. Infinitely more creepy.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    rosienskirosienski Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    looking at the top one, her left hip looks a little lumpy. the second looks like her breasts are squashed unevenly. it could just be the upper shading on the right one. the shading between breasts is what gives that illusion. i've never worn a corset so i wouldn't know. your muscle shading however is really awesome and attention to detail is nothing short of amazing. the colors in the feathers transition very well and can see further details enhancing this piece.

rosienski on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The colors in the angel pic are fantastic. Reminds me of fall.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]