Options

Everyone hates the Wii now. Pack it up, it's over.

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Defender is a myth.

The Defender is a lie
    The Defender is a lie
    The Defender is a lie

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Defender is a myth.

The Defender is a lie
    The Defender is a lie
    The Defender is a lie

You will be argued, and then there will be Defender.

Iskander on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Iskander wrote: »
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Defender is a myth.

The Defender is a lie
    The Defender is a lie
    The Defender is a lie

You will be argued, and then there will be Defender.

<3

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    i'm not a robot i ain't got enough gears and aasimov rules
    asimov's rules are flawed

Tell me more.

Seriously on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You all want to listen to defender? Fine let me put him on, "Hello", see that is him, that is how dumb he sounds.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you know, when you put it into perspective, he really does sound dumb.

blue powder on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    there really was a cake :cry:

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It may have been moist, but it probably wasn't delicious though.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    did you ever listen to the ingredients read out by the thing you take out of glados?

1 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix.
    1 can prepared coconut pecan frosting.
    3/4 cup vegetable oil.
    4 large eggs.
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
    3/4 cups butter or margarine.
    1&2/3 cups granulated sugar.
    2 cups all purpose flour.
    Don't forget garnishes such as:
    Fish shaped crackers.
    Fish shaped candies.
    Fish shaped solid waste,
    Fish shaped dirt.
    Fish shaped ethyl benzene.
    Pull and peel licorice..
    Fish shaped volatile organic compounds
    and sediment shaped sediment.
    Candy coated peanut butter pieces, Shaped like fish.
    1 cup lemon juice.
    Alpha resins.
    Unsaturated polyester resin.
    Fiberglass surface resins.
    And volatile malted milk impoundments.
    9 large egg yolks.
    12 medium geosynthetic membranes.
    1 cup granulated sugar.
    An entry called 'how to kill someone with your bare hands'.
    2 cups rhubarb, sliced.
    2/3 cups granulated rhubarb.
    1 tablespoon all-purpose rhubarb.
    1 teaspoon grated orange rhubarb.
    3 tablespoons rhubarb, on fire.
    1 large rhubarb.
    1 cross borehole electro-magnetic imaging rhubarb.
    2 tablespoons rhubarb juice.
    Adjustable aluminum head positioner.
    Slaughter electric needle injector.
    Cordless electric needle injector.
    Injector needle driver.
    Injector needle gun.
    Cranial caps.
    And it contains proven preservatives, deep penetration agents, and gas and odor
    control chemicals. That will deodorize and preserve putrid tissue.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    seems plenty delicious to me

Nuzak on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Franko wrote: »
    astar.gif

I am ASTAR a robot...
    man I hope some Canadians get this joke

awesome.

"I can put my arm back on, but you can't. Play safe."

I just wanted to go out and prove that metal fucker wrong.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why are 20% of the posts in here about me?

So TFS, if you don't like the term "gamer," what term would you prefer? "Game enthusiast?" "Game player?"

We have terms like "painter" and "filmmaker" and "writer," but those terms all refer to the artists, not the audience. "Developer" is the equivalent there. What do we call someone who likes movies? "Film buff" or "film enthusiast" I guess? I don't know, I think I'd like a one-word method to describe "someone who appreciates/enjoys X form of art." We obviously have the term "gamer" for games, but not for really anything else. Maybe "audiophile" for music, but that's not exactly the same thing.

Defender on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why do you people have to attach titles and terms to everything
    why can't a person just enjoy some games
    you guys make life more complicated so you can wear a top hot on your ass

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Defender wrote: »

We all just love you so much <3

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Seph wrote: »
    Why do you people have to attach titles and terms to everything
    why can't a person just enjoy some games
    you guys make life more complicated so you can wear a top hot on your ass

Because it's convenient. You see, when I'm trying to communicate a certain idea, I can say "core gamers" or I can say "people who just enjoy some games, specifically games with fairly high levels of complexity and depth which may require an investment of effort and/or time to explore to a reasonable or thorough degree."

It's not making life more complicated. The point of having specialized vocabulary is so that we can compress commonly-used concepts from large phrases down to single words. Hell, look at "this is my cell number" versus "this is the number that you must dial in order to contact me via my cellular/wireless telephonic communication device."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yeah but you don't call cell phone users "cellers" and you don't market to them in a particular way and present them on screen with what you think their image is

companies do that with "gamers"

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007

So TFS, if you don't like the term "gamer," what term would you prefer? "Game enthusiast?" "Game player?"

We have terms like "painter" and "filmmaker" and "writer," but those terms all refer to the artists, not the audience. "Developer" is the equivalent there. What do we call someone who likes movies? "Film buff" or "film enthusiast" I guess? I don't know, I think I'd like a one-word method to describe "someone who appreciates/enjoys X form of art." We obviously have the term "gamer" for games, but not for really anything else. Maybe "audiophile" for music, but that's not exactly the same thing.

It's not the term "gamer". I mean, people who play games are gamers

It's people that think it's a lifestyle, or it's something to identify yourself as.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    lol!

Everyone all listening to keith like he isnt a horrible troll.

that's right

you caught me

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    a troll calling a troll a troll

i'm not sure if keith is a troll

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am not a troll.

peacehandemoticonww7.gif

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yeah but you don't call cell phone users "cellers" and you don't market to them in a particular way and present them on screen with what you think their image is

Uh, yes you do. In fact there is a number of different sub-demographics of cell phone users and while they don't all have a distinct title, they're all targetet for different marketing purposes by cellphone companies.

The only difference between that and gamers is that the latter aren't that commonly used as a demographic yet and so far there is little need for sub-demos.

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Keith is Sasquatch.

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ok well i hate cell phones and don't pay attention to the marketing on them
    but yeah i guess i get what you mean with the music phones text phones blah blah blah

im just bored this thread is the only one with life

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »

It's not the term "gamer". I mean, people who play games are gamers

It's people that think it's a lifestyle, or it's something to identify yourself as.

OK so if we're talking about shit like people who really identify with "game fuel" or whatever dumbass "WOOO HARDCORE" video-game bullshit marketing is out there, then yeah. I do agree with that. That's fucking stupid. I would still like there to be a one-word identifier, though, for people who enjoy a given artistic medium. Preferably one that doesn't evoke "demographic" images like the white kids in Harold & Kumar.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    EXTREEEEEEME

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    (they have awesome taste in music, though)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    20070914.jpg

I mean seriously, they had a proffessional ad agency come up with this shit and paid a fuckton of money for it. The mind, it boggles... o_O

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Uh, yes you do. In fact there is a number of different sub-demographics of cell phone users and while they don't all have a distinct title, they're all targetet for different marketing purposes by cellphone companies.

The only difference between that and gamers is that the latter aren't that commonly used as a demographic yet and so far there is little need for sub-demos.

While we're on the topic of terms that companies assign to people, the marketing term "own" is used to describe the relationship between the company and its customer. As in, like, "We own the 18-34 male demo in Cleveland" or whatever. As if the customer is property of the company. But the fact that they internally describe as their bitch, more or less, doesn't mean that you accept that identity, so even if a game company calls people "gamers," that doesn't mean that the game-playing public accepts the term, or accepts the term to have the same meaning as what the company means when they say it. I could, for example, call myself a "gamer" based on the fact that I've played video games throughout my entire life. That doesn't mean that I'm drinking some kind of retarded "gamer" soda while playing mediocre shooters online and shouting "BOOM HEADSHOT" loud enough to wake my mom up all the way on the second floor.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    20070914.jpg

I mean seriously, they had a proffessional ad agency come up with this shit and paid a fuckton of money for it. The mind, it boggles... o_O

Yeah, that's exactly the shit I'm talking about. But "gamer" should not mean "retarded fuckbag who owns a 360." I don't know if it DOES mean that or not, you know, to most people. Whenever I say it, I mean "a person who plays video games and is at least a little bit into it."

Also, to help unboggle the mind, remember that there's a good chance that the target audience is way dumber than yourself. Read some youtube comments, and think "those people have disposable income."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    EXTREEEEEEME

Dude that movie was so racist. Every single white character in the movie was a fucked-up dickhead, and every single fucked-up dickhead in the movie was white. I'm amazed at how openly racist you can be in the mass media against whites, but not against any other race.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

While we're on the topic of terms that companies assign to people, the marketing term "own" is used to describe the relationship between the company and its customer. As in, like, "We own the 18-34 male demo in Cleveland" or whatever. As if the customer is property of the company. But the fact that they internally describe as their bitch, more or less, doesn't mean that you accept that identity, so even if a game company calls people "gamers," that doesn't mean that the game-playing public accepts the term, or accepts the term to have the same meaning as what the company means when they say it. I could, for example, call myself a "gamer" based on the fact that I've played video games throughout my entire life. That doesn't mean that I'm drinking some kind of retarded "gamer" soda while playing mediocre shooters online and shouting "BOOM HEADSHOT" loud enough to wake my mom up all the way on the second floor.

There are companies in other industries which can rightfully claim to "own" a certain demographic, but these are very rare indeed.

Most of the time they think they own a demo because the ad agency told them so after conducting a "representative survey" worth a six-digit number.

What I'm trying to say is marketing is a giant circus.

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

There are companies in other industries which can rightfully claim to "own" a certain demographic, but these are very rare indeed.

Most of the time they think they own a demo because the ad agency told them so after conducting a "representative survey" worth a six-digit number.

My mother was actually masterful at marketing/sales, and I've gotten that impression from her. She started her career marketing stuff like cereal and was just like "this is fucking dumb, they're just changing the box color to boost sales slightly based on psychological reactions to color." But at the higher levels, there's some really serious power you can exercise over people. Fuck, we're in the Wii thread. I think there's a pretty immediate example that we all understand about the power of good marketing.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    EXTREEEEEEME

Dude that movie was so racist. Every single white character in the movie was a fucked-up dickhead, and every single fucked-up dickhead in the movie was white. I'm amazed at how openly racist you can be in the mass media against whites, but not against any other race.

coolspeakps5.gif

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

My mother was actually masterful at marketing/sales, and I've gotten that impression from her. She started her career marketing stuff like cereal and was just like "this is fucking dumb, they're just changing the box color to boost sales slightly based on psychological reactions to color." But at the higher levels, there's some really serious power you can exercise over people. Fuck, we're in the Wii thread. I think there's a pretty immediate example that we all understand about the power of good marketing.

In relation to myself though, I'm almost 100% sure to not have been in Nintendo's target demo for the Wii. I was put off by their advertising and Microsoft's marketing of the 360 appealed much more to me.

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well I guess there's also something to be said for price point, and to be fair, determining what the consumer will buy in terms of price point is also part of marketing.

Defender on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hereby decree that the ancient league of gentlemen be reinstated for this thread.

The ancient society of: NO DEFENDERS

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    should I buy or rent the Wii Metroid game

Skull Man on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Skull Man wrote: »
    should I buy or rent the Wii Metroid game

Buy

then give to me

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    I hereby decree that the ancient league of gentlemen be reinstated for this thread.

The ancient society of: NO DEFENDERS

You fool! That still allows one!

Green on
This discussion has been closed.