As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legions (Tribes 4!?)

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
What is Legions?

Remember the cock tease that GarageGames put us through over a year ago when they released a tech demo of them hopping around with a jetpack and a spinfusor?

Yeah. Well, after adamantly denying that they were working on a spiritual successor to the Tribes franchise, over a year later, it turns out they might have been lying.

There is no official announcement just yet, but let's take a look at the evidence.

Media/Press

Over the past year or so, Garage Games has been doing tech demos for their Torque engine using a game called Legions. It's still not an "official" project, but uhh... just watch some of these.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2rOPjGTgzrE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nO-_WPg2Za8

Garage Games has had http://www.legionsgame.com/ up for some time now. According to the net, the site just recently got a face lift. Now there is an ominous "Submit" button just sitting there not letting us click on it.

According to ShackNews (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49619)
Though several titles have been announced for GarageGames' web-based 3D gaming venture InstantAction.com, what could certainly be the most anticipated title has yet to be unveiled. A source close to GarageGames told Shacknews a team-based online shooter in the vein of Dynamix' Starsiege: Tribes will be coming to the gaming service soon from GarageGames' own developers.

GarageGames was of course founded by many ex-Dynamix employees, and the source said the company would most likely be making an official announcement for the game in December. Shacknews has separately learned GarageGames has increased its employee count severalfold throughout 2007, with the goal of moving more into full game development alongside its Torque middleware and engine products. Development of the Tribes-like title began two months ago, the source added, but the cycle should be relatively short compared to most projects.

Combined with the instant online distribution of InstantAction.com, a 2008 release would seem fairly probable.

If you go to Garage Games site, you can see in their employee profile section that there are quite a few employees listed as working on an "unannounced project".

http://instantaction.com/ is Garage Games upcoming digital distribution system. I don't know the details but apparently this will be a web interface cousin to Steam for indy games. You can go to the site and sign up for a newsletter, but you can't actually do or see anything.

Rampant Speculation

It looks like we are getting some sort of game where we can fly, ski, and shoot spinfusors... guys. It may not be a bleeding edge game, it may not even hit store shelves, but who gives a shit.

Tribes 4. Tribes 4.

If anyone can find the original Broadside tech demo that started this whole rumor mill, that would be great. I can't seem to YouTube it. P.S. there are of these Legions videos out there, the two I listed are the most obvious, especially the first one.

Jasconius on

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought I would just jump in and say that you did a great job on the OP, hopefully your thread will draw a little bit more attention than mine. That said, I'm quite interested in this game, though I've never touched a Tribes game before.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I don't think people are yet connecting that this is a Tribes game just by the name. So I fix'd the title.

Seriously people, this is news. The original creators of the game are in and they've got 6 years of graphics technology to tack on to Tribes 2, not to mention way better physics.

The Torque engine is used by NASA for simulators.

Jasconius on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes, I remember being very excited when I first saw this. Time to keep waiting I guess.

piL on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wooo

Veegeezee on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yay!

Guys I am moist for some Tribes 2. Does anyone remember GTW?

Fugitive on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    HOLY SHIT

Bamelin on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    edited October 2007
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Yay!

No not really. I have Tribes 2 installed but there are literally no servers up that are both populated and don't require crazy ass third party map packs.

I crave construction mod.

Jasconius on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh god. Oh god. Maybe I should start selling all my other games now.

YodaTuna on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tribes and Tribes 2 rocked

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Yay!

No not really. I have Tribes 2 installed but there are literally no servers up that are both populated and don't require crazy ass third party map packs.

I crave construction mod.

GTW was a bit like a mod for construction mod. It was pretty much Tribes as a first person RTS style mod where two armies basically played hide n' seek across maps that would span kilometers. You could inhabit prefabs on the map or use construction mod assets to set up shop high in the mountains where the fog was too thick for enemies to get a good lock on your location, or in the surrounding canyons that were difficult to survey due to their rugged nature.

Gameplay centered around destroying your enemy's spawn switch and eventually killing the stragglers after they can no longer respawn.

It actually didn't require much more teamwork than most standard Tribes matches, but a single match could last hours so it didn't pick up a lot of steam.

GOD I miss those times.

Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJS2agzxTdo

Fugitive on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SHAZ EFFIN BOT
    OMGOMGOMGMGMGMGMGMG after the community let down of vengeance I have high hopes for this.
    please god make it awesome. please god people better love it. seriously i cant wish any harder right now haoslfsy shitsarfas im excited goddd!

Smashism on
    edited October 2007
    Man, I'm glad the days of fog like that are gone.

Cool video. Man, the Shrike was so fun.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2007

Hahaha sniping with that laser through fog was a bitch. Yeah I had a lower end machine back then.
    I shot an email to that InstantAction deal. I hope its as nifty as steam, thats gonna be hard to top. Then again maybe they aren't trying to compete.

Smashism on
    edited October 2007
    Smashism wrote: »

Hahaha sniping with that laser through fog was a bitch. Yeah I had a lower end machine back then.
    I shot an email to that InstantAction deal. I hope its as nifty as steam, thats gonna be hard to top. Then again maybe they aren't trying to compete.

I don't think they are trying to compete. It's primarily a delivery system for the hordes of Indy games that the Torque program spawns. Legions will just be the game that ropes people in.

So. Damn. Excited.

Oh yeah, and as far as the fog, I had a low end system too. Playing Quagmire with max fog was just.. just stupid.

Jasconius on
    edited October 2007
    I played Tribes 1 for three years. Remember [DTM]? Ah man PC gaming at the end of the 90's ... those were the glory days ....

Bamelin on
    edited October 2007
    You know what else rocked about tribes? The mod community. Everything from little hud mods to big time Shifter mod and stuff. Man what a blast. What memories!
    One of my good buddys was a coder for shifter. Tribes didnt have those big scale total conversion mods, but honestly the gameplay was there, why mess with formula. I also miss custom skins, that was so cool, especially cause other players would see the skin without having to DL the texture.
    Seriously, this title better come to fruition soon!

Smashism on
    edited October 2007
    I did not like very many mods, but Shifter was the one I really enjoyed playing in the first Tribes almost more than the actual game.

Unless you count Classic Mod as a mod... Classic Mod > all.

I WISH I HAD A TIME MACHINE.

Jasconius on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Come on. Why did you make this thread based on absolutely no concrete information? Those videos are really old and this is still just rumor-mongering.

Zek on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ahhh I'll never forget for when I had to carry the fricken flag as a heavy...on foot on that volcano map in Tribes 2.

I know many are going to against me on this but for me, Tribes 2 was much better game then Tribes 1. The vehicle variety and class variations you could play was just beyond awesome. That and the inclusion of an in game message board and IM system was perfect.

Oh this remind me...
    Halo 3's forge mode? Mind boggling eh?!
    Didn't Tribes 1 had a constructions mod very similar to that? I think I even remember something like that for Dark Forces II: JK also.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Since this is pertinent to the OP, and also for you crazy Marble Blast Ultra fans. Below is an interesting recent screenshot of the InstantAction "website"

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/instantaction-k.html:
    instantaction_windowed.jpg

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Come on. Why did you make this thread based on absolutely no concrete information? Those videos are really old and this is still just rumor-mongering.

Let us have our hope god damnit.

Also to the guy who said Tribes 2 was better than 1, I'm down with that.

YodaTuna on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It always makes me sad when I think about Tribes/Tribes2 and even some of the Quake games. Some of the best and most innovative games ever made for the FPS genre, super-refined....

Then the community has to go and assfuck itself into a billion different mods all of which suck. I'm all for allowing people to mod an engine, but sometimes not having a couple of dozen company run pure servers really ends a games life quick.

Here's hoping they keep a PURE fork and CVAR for those of us who don't want to play with rocket-laser-sniper-flame-rifles and instagib.

dispatch.o on
  • Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

Let us have our hope god damnit.

Also to the guy who said Tribes 2 was better than 1, I'm down with that.

You're crazy, Tribes 1 was freaking awesome.

Not that 2 was bad, but I had many more late nights playing 1, trying to peel my contacts out of my eyes afterwards because I wasn't blinking.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I played Tribes 1 for eight years.

Not trying to brag or anything, but I was one of the best. I've been waiting for legions since its announce.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never been a griefer. I don't think highly of people who take joy from the suffering of others.

But for the years that I played Tribes and Tribes 2... I gave in to the dark side.

Sniping was not a skill or an artform, it was a way of life! The cries of "hax" hang heavy in the air as time after time the same loud mouth mother fucker would find himself suddenly dropping dead from a single shot to the head.

You were both feared and loved at the same time. I have yet to find another FPS with such vast maps, perfectly set up for sniper competitions.

Caveman Paws on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had a lot of fun with both Tribes and Tribes two.

I have to say, though, I got a lot of enjoyment out of 2 simply because I actually had broadband when I played it.

I played Tribes on a 56k and learned to live with it but all I was good for was sabotage and sometimes flag running, both of which I became pretty good at.

Man...Tribes 2, though. Nothing more exhilarating than jumping out of a carrier with three of your buddies, headed in a dive bomb to the generator room, setting off an explosive pack and killing your pursuer, and then covering your lightly armored buddy carrying the enemy flag as your pilot swoops down to collect him and make a dash back to base.

And that's just the tip of the ice berg.

So many different ways to play that game, and all of them useful and valid.

I became a beast of a tank driver, too. And when I had a great gunner up top....man....unbeatable.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The idea of a new game that is like Tribes, or even better an actual Tribes 4 makes me so happy. If this does turn out to be true then here is what I would like to see in a new Tribes game or Tribes like game:

- Don't "n00bify" it by taking Unreal Tournament, putting jetpacks on characters and calling it a Tribes game, that is not Tribes, that is crap.
    - Must have the full sensor system in place
    - Level boundaries must be as large as Tribes 1 and 2
    - Do not put it the crappy grappling hook
    - Reduce the vehicles back to just the Heavy and Medium carriers and the scout like Tribes 1
    - Remake most of the maps from the first two Tribes games such as Scarbrae, Blastside, Raindance, Dangerous Crossings and so on.

These are just a few of the standard things that I think should be in any new Tribes games after the catastrophe that was Tribes Vengeance.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    As nice as it would be to just play a pretty version of tribes 1, I think they'd be better off, you know, innovating in certain areas:

- Leave the grappling hook in, but allow attacks to blow off the hook's claw with an explosive weapon. It should be used as a means to transfer your momentum in another direction, but a skilled chaser'd be able to throw you off.

- Keep some vehicles in. Tribes isn't about vehicle combat, sure, but certain utility vehicles (the jericho, and perhaps a launcher vehicle sorta like a portable man-cannon from Halo 3) should remain in play and allow for a more dynamic game than just, "dudes spawn at base, fly towards other base).

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tribes 1 and Fallout 2 are the only games I always keep on my computer and are always one of the first things I put on a new computer.

*Warning anecdotal story incoming*

When I used to be in high school I had a PC tech 1 and 2 class during my junior and senior years respectively. The class was great because it was right after lunch and was two hours long and also meant that I got out of school a hour early and still got 3 credits for it. There was literally maybe a half hour of actual class work and the other hour and a half was spent playing Starsiege Tribes over LAN with the rest of the class (maybe 20-26 students). It was a glorious way to end the last two years of high school.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Tribes 1 and Fallout 2 are the only games I always keep on my computer and are always one of the first things I put on a new computer.

*Warning anecdotal story incoming*

When I used to be in high school I had a PC tech 1 and 2 class during my junior and senior years respectively. The class was great because it was right after lunch and was two hours long and also meant that I got out of school a hour early and still got 3 credits for it. There was literally maybe a half hour of actual class work and the other hour and a half was spent playing Starsiege Tribes over LAN with the rest of the class (maybe 20-26 students). It was a glorious way to end the last two years of high school.

Kinda did the same thing at my school. My 3d modeling and rendering class turned into a CS LAN center. This back in the day before retail. When it was a mod in beta... me and a few friends just installed HL on all the machines and d/led CS... Best class EVAR!

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Shazbot!

Shazbot! on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was a huge fan of tribes 1, but could barely play it due to a crappy net connection.... and tribes 2 I didn't play online at all... I kinda just bought it to see the new stuff. But I must say.... what I did see of the online tribes 2 play (friends places etc) did not look ANYthing like that Great Tribal War mod. What exactly is modded? What is this "pickup" people talk about.... that video posted earlier in this thread had game play like I have never seen in a shooter, specially that dogfight through the valley... Did i miss something wonderful?

joshua1 on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tribes 2 is, and will forever be my personal peak in gaming. The mere hint of a successor, spiritual or not, makes me all tingly where I pee.

I'm glad that burning sensation that T:V left finally cleared up.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • skorchskorch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never been a griefer. I don't think highly of people who take joy from the suffering of others.

But for the years that I played Tribes and Tribes 2... I gave in to the dark side.

Sniping was not a skill or an artform, it was a way of life! The cries of "hax" hang heavy in the air as time after time the same loud mouth mother fucker would find himself suddenly dropping dead from a single shot to the head.

You were both feared and loved at the same time. I have yet to find another FPS with such vast maps, perfectly set up for sniper competitions.

Amen. I so loved to snipe. Sure it got me kicked from a few servers, but there is nothing like sniping the enemy flag carrier out of midair.

skorch on
    edited October 2007
    I loved to snipe too. My specialty was "O" Sniping ... probaly the most hated breed of snipers ever.

Last I went back to Tribes some servers even had rules against O sniping.

I always thought it was irrational the hate, O snipers could take out enemy turrets, and drop flag guards for the cappers.

*sigh*

Bamelin on
    edited October 2007
    I never understood that mentality.

No O Sniping
    No OOB sniping
    No D Sniping

WTF? I mean, sure, it's your server, whatever. I just leave when I disagree with the rules. But I also didn't whine about a sniper killing me on the v-pad. I would just kill them back.

I got kicked for destroying enemy deployed turrets when the game was 5vs5 or something once. Yeah, I'm sorry that I'm trying to get your flag.

edit:

Seriously, something needs to be done about that retarded validation server for Tribes 2. We need some of the guys at Free Allegiance to do the same for Tribes. Register on a website to create an account.

It might inject a much needed does of life back into T2.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    O Sniping
    OOB sniping
    D Sniping

translate?

MrDelish on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PiRaTe!!! wrote: »
    The idea of a new game that is like Tribes, or even better an actual Tribes 4 makes me so happy. If this does turn out to be true then here is what I would like to see in a new Tribes game or Tribes like game:

- Don't "n00bify" it by taking Unreal Tournament, putting jetpacks on characters and calling it a Tribes game, that is not Tribes, that is crap.

Fuck you. You know what, fuck you.

Tribes: Vengeance was as much a Tribes game as anything else in the series. Oh no, they licensed the Unreal engine instead of re-inventing the wheel! It's NMA-like fucks like you that sank that perfectly good game.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2007
    Of course, silly me.

Offensive sniping
    Out Of Bounds sniping
    Defensive sniping

The last one is kinda rare, but I've been bitched at for picking off a flag carrier.

Snipers in T2 get quite a bit of hate.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png