As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TOURNAMENT ON] Eye of Judgment (ZORAK15 WINS)

• Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DebaserZbs wrote: »
    Wait. Posted where?

First Post

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Tw4win wrote: »
    This tournament was talked about on the front page of the site and as I was adding names I noticed a lot of people who aren't forum regulars. They either just joined the forum today or they have a really low post count. I think it's great that this tournament is drawing people to the site but I just want to give you some friendly advice before we start playing...

There are those of us who are forum regulars. We post almost daily and spend a decent amount of time here. As such, we sort of know each other. We may not always agree with each other and we may not even always like each other but we are always respectful to each other. Put simply, we know how to behave like adults. I'm sure those of you that just joined to play the tournament do as well but if I hear of anyone (regulars included) acting like a dick or causing trouble I will DQ your ass from this tournament so fast it will make your head spin. That clear? Good...

I will confess, I did register for the forums just for this tournament. I've been reading Penny-Arcade since http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/11/27 (nearly 7 years) was posted on my Quake 3 forums. Never registered for the forums because they are usually a cesspool for immature assholes. But I feel that the people that play this game will most likely be mature, which is why I registered. I hope to have a good experience, and pledge to make this experience enjoyable for my opponent.

Good luck to all!

Cesspool? In my experience, the Penny Arcade forums are quite civilized and mature. If you want immature assholes, look over at the 1up boards or better yet 4chan (*shudder*).

I guess I had my message a bit off with the wording. I was generalizing forums as being a cesspool, not PA in particular. I never even browsed the forums prior to this other than the few times Gabe or Tycho mentioned a thread that was worth checking out. On average forum posters are immature, IE 1up and 4chan. I just only register for smaller community forums with people I'm more familiar with. Less chance of immature people on there.

After reading through a lot of the threads here, I find that the PA posters are very mature. I may just frequent here and see if I enjoy myself. Sorry if I gave off the wrong impression with that initial post.

Stupid work internet is acting up - I hope this doesn't post it twice.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I drew PikaPuff right off the bat hey? This is gona be a rough match to schedule as Pika's on a island in the middle of the Pacific and I'm on an island in the middle of the Atlantic. 7.5 hours difference in the time zones. I'm about to get off work now at 4:30 PM, and his work day is probably just starting at 9 AM. Hawaii is actually much further west than displayed in this map:
    map.jpg

I'm sure we'll work something out before the first round time limit elapses though.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I drew PikaPuff right off the bat hey? This is gona be a rough match to schedule as Pika's on a island in the middle of the Pacific and I'm on an island in the middle of the Atlantic. 7.5 hours difference in the time zones. I'm about to get off work now at 4:30 PM, and his work day is probably just starting at 9 AM. Hawaii is actually much further west than displayed in this map:
    map.jpg

I'm sure we'll work something out before the first round time limit elapses though.

Sorry about that. It really was random. Let me know on Thursday if you guys are having major issues and we'll try to work something out.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sorry about that. It really was random. Let me know on Thursday if you guys are having major issues and we'll try to work something out.

No need to apologize. there's nothing you could have done about it. We may have had to eventually face-off anyway. Pika and I were bound to run into timezone issues with our out-of-the-way locations, no matter who we drew. I just find it highly amusing that we ended up paired right at the beginning!

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, uhh, so how is elimination working in this tournament? Single elim, double elim, swiss rounds, what? Basically, is it one loss and we are out or not?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, uhh, so how is elimination working in this tournament? Single elim, double elim, swiss rounds, what? Basically, is it one loss and we are out or not?

Sorry, I thought I made that clear. For this one it's 1 loss and you're out.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WebScudWebScud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vertigo is in for an easy win. I am the worst CCG player on earth, haha.

WebScud on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    WebScud wrote: »
    Vertigo is in for an easy win. I am the worst CCG player on earth, haha.

Is this the official result?

If so, please type out the names of the two players like I have them on the first page and then type

Winner: PLAYER NAME

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I get how about 5-6pm tonight. Gonna be playing R&C while handing out candy, so let's friend each other I'll be on the PS3 and ventrilo if you're online. I'll play late night if you get up early and play me before work.

is it best of 1? of 3?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    knowmywrathknowmywrath Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    how come im not playing i thought i put a message in on time D:

knowmywrath on
    know+my+wrath.png
    psn: know my wrath
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I get how about 5-6pm tonight. Gonna be playing R&C while handing out candy, so let's friend each other I'll be on the PS3 and ventrilo if you're online. I'll play late night if you get up early and play me before work.

is it best of 1? of 3?

Single Elimination. Best of 1

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    how come im not playing i thought i put a message in on time D:

Check your private messages.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RedDawn - PSN: thirdedition VS. dookieagain - PSN: Dookieagain

Winner: RedDawn - PSN: thirdedition

Great game man, it was a lot of fun.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    LupusYonderboyLupusYonderboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PS - Hey, when choosing which continent on which to fight when online, does that affect the layout of the field, or is it just a cutesy way to list the servers?

I don't think it's a server list. It looks like just a sub-ladder, color faction thing to me. I like red, so I just stuck with the default. I've played against folks from all the listed factions, so it doesn't _seem_ to be a region/server/filter thing.

LupusYonderboy on
    "My other car is a Lupus!"
  • Options
    DalancerDalancer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alright, so its started eh? Very well. I sent my opponite cocojen a firiend invite already, now all I have to do is wait and see...

Dalancer on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RedMageDarion - PSN: RedMageDarion VS. leithian - PSN: Legal-Alien

Winner: RedMageDarion

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    WhitewolfjmWhitewolfjm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ninjasockmonkey - PSN: Ninjasockmonkey VS. whitewolfjm - PSN: whitewolfjm

Winner: Whitewolfjm

Great guy, and as the second game we played for fun showed; if he hadn't gotten screwed on his card draws, he would have beaten me.

Whitewolfjm on
    3DS Friend Code: 0275-8881-6723
    3DS Friend Name: Whitewolfjm
    Pokemon Y In-game name: Superman
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Updated to here.

Hope everyone is having fun.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExhaleExhale Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Exhale - PSN: Exhale VS. le.diable.rouge - PSN: le_diable_rouge

WINNER: Exhale - PSN: Exhale

Great match and great guy. We played another game afterwards and he used a different deck with really good cards and such and I lost that one. I have not even bought an extra booster yet though. Hope to do battle again!

Exhale on
  • Options
    BlackOpsPandaBlackOpsPanda Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I PMed my guy, but he hasn't responded yet. :\

BlackOpsPanda on
    "It would be a sad error in judgment to mistake me for a corpse."
    - KANE, NOD
  • Options
    lordkaosulordkaosu Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I PMed my guy, but he hasn't responded yet. :\

It's still early, I'm waiting on my match too. Maybe tomorrow.

lordkaosu on
    lkhs.gif
    How happy is your house?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Updated to here.

A couple of people have contacted me about their opponent not responding yet. It's early and it's technically a holiday so I wouldn't panic yet. However, if they haven't responded by this time on Thursday you may want to step up your effort to contact them.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do for people who had opponents that bailed on them. If it's something obvious like the guy giving wrong information for PSN I'll probably let you through to the 2nd round. Plain no-shows I'm going to have to think about. It will probably depend on how many of you there are.

For the winners, any clear objection to letting these people into the 2nd round? Feel free to PM me with your answer if you don't want it public... My feeling is that with so many people in the tournament the 2nd round is going to be fairly large anyway. 2-3 more pairs probably won't matter. Also, the only way that would work is if I pair the orphans up with each other, not with people who have already won a round...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    leithianleithian Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I totally lost my game fair and square but you may want to make later rounds best of 3 to take some luck of the draw out of the result.

Grats to my opponant hope you make it all the way!

leithian on
  • Options
    bfigginsbfiggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On that deck list that's been posted - Are you using anything special to make that deck list? Actually, on that topic, any card/deck management utilities you'd recommend for Eye of Judgment?

bfiggins on
  • Options
    ScynixScynix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TheMadjai - PSN: Madjai VS. Scynix - PSN: Scynix

Scynix wins.

Good game Madjai. I liked the suicidal firefly at the end. Didn't have anything you could do?

Scynix on
  • Options
    Spike941Spike941 Gamer Ontario, CanadaRegistered User new member
    edited November 2007
    leithian wrote: »
    I totally lost my game fair and square but you may want to make later rounds best of 3 to take some luck of the draw out of the result.

Grats to my opponant hope you make it all the way!

I have to agree, I lost extremely early into the game because I drew absolutly nothing good :P Ah well, I'm not upset about it. Good game Kinitari, I had fun!

Spike941 - PSN: Spike941 VS. Kinitari - PSN: Kinitari

Kinitari wins.

Spike941 on
  • Options
    PhaenoPhaeno Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    MiteyMidget, get ahold of me when you get a chance and we'll set up a time for our match. I'm available almost any time and any day, so just whenever. You can PM me, PSN message me, or email me (Phaenox@gmail.com)

Thanks.

Phaeno on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bfiggins wrote: »
    On that deck list that's been posted - Are you using anything special to make that deck list? Actually, on that topic, any card/deck management utilities you'd recommend for Eye of Judgment?

I think that was made using Excel. I didn't make it so I'm not totally sure...

On the subject of single vs. multiple elimination, I agree with what other people have said. This is the first EOJ tournament so I want to keep it single elimination but going forward I think double elimination (best of 3) is probably more fair. Again, that's in future tournaments, not now. I don't want anyone to get any ideas... :)

As long as this tournament remains successful and people want to play I don't mind organizing more. I suspect that the next one will allow for regular deck building, not just the starter + 1 booster that we are using now.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We're having trouble connecting. I played a few games before and afterwards with no problems. Just could not connect with Pig Destroyer/GodlessEndeavor.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DiablopupDiablopup Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Panzar - PSN: Panzar VS. Diablopup - PSN: Diablopup

Diablopup Wins

Panzar is a great guy, we are both new to it but I have to say that if he had gotten a better draw he probably would have won. He had to go but we plan to duke it out again soon. I agree with Ts4win that for the next tourney it might be better to do 2/3 to be more fair. I like having restrictions on what decks to use, to try and keep it balanced for the people having problems getting booster/theme decks. Maybe future tournaments could be based on certain theme decks with a booster? Just a thought. Well, whatever the setup is I'm sure it will work out. Thanks Tw4win for setting this all up, I appreciate the time you are putting into it. :) Good luck everybody!!

Diablopup on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Was anyone else having problems connecting when setting up/joining the matches? I had to change from wireless and direct connect to my router when Panzar and I wanted to play. I was able to use wireless when I just tried to get into anyones game or if I set something up so that anyone could jump in. But when we tried to invite each other before i went wired it was a no go and I had my PS3 set up DMZ. It's not a huge deal, but I don't like having to string a cat5 cable from one side of my house to another when i want to try and connect with a particular person and then change my settings back and forth on my PS3....ok....yah....the more I think about it, the more it is a pain in the azz. :)

Diablopup on
  • Options
    IcepickIcepick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've not yet heard from my opponent (PM'ed him on the forums), and I couldn't add them as a friend on PSN because their list is already full. If you're reading this, ArcaneJMS, please contact me!

Icepick on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I would also like to do theme decks + 1 booster or something along those lines.

Format goes something like this:

-Use any theme deck you wish as a base deck
    -Can use +1 booster pack to adjust your deck (just like this current tournament)
    -Best of 3 games in a single match to even out getting screwed by card draws.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    WanderingJesterWanderingJester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

-Can use +1 booster pack to adjust your deck (just like this current tournament)

I like this idea but there should be ample time to allow people to get a theme deck. I have been ordering my boosters online and would like to get some theme decks but it takes them some time to get to me.

WanderingJester on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I like this idea but there should be ample time to allow people to get a theme deck. I have been ordering my boosters online and would like to get some theme decks but it takes them some time to get to me.

This current tournament will take a couple of weeks at least. I'd say that is plenty of time :P

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Pig DestroyerPig Destroyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lareden wrote: »
    We're having trouble connecting. I played a few games before and afterwards with no problems. Just could not connect with Pig Destroyer/GodlessEndeavor.

Anyone else experience this problem? I just kept getting "Could not connect to Player" error (not sure what Lareden was getting on his end). We tried probably 10 times before it got way too late and I just called it a night.

I've played plenty of matches online before this one, and I had multiple people steal the open spot in the rooms I was creating, so I know it's not a connection issue. help!

Pig Destroyer on
  • Options
    KurakkaKurakka Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Penatrode - PSN: Penatrode vs. Kurakka - PSN:Kurakka

winner Penatrode. I think you already have this but just posting it cause I didnt see it.

Was an awsome game, 22 turns 1 god card, 2 rare big dogs monsters, could not have asked for more, Just wish I knew the game better to give him a better run for his money. I will get him next time.

Kurakka on
    Kurakka.png
  • Options
    oc2001oc2001 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    How much are people spending on this game?

besides the initial $70 to buy the game+eye?

I would need to see more uses for this eye gadget thought before I bought this game. And then I may not want to have to buy another $100 of boosters just to get a deck even worth playing.

oc2001 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anyone else experience this problem? I just kept getting "Could not connect to Player" error (not sure what Lareden was getting on his end). We tried probably 10 times before it got way too late and I just called it a night.

I've played plenty of matches online before this one, and I had multiple people steal the open spot in the rooms I was creating, so I know it's not a connection issue. help!
    Yah this was the issue I was having with Panzar. I don't know if the problem was on his end, mine or the game servers. I went wired for my connection and he opened up some ports on his router...then it worked. So not sure what happened exactly to resolve it.

Diablopup on