Options

[Pokémon] ¡Las Aventuras de los Monstruos de Bolsillo! Join the Legendary Cup!

1555657585961»

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wrote a shiny guide for the forums a while back. I'm not going to go dig it up or rewrite it, too lazy.

Anyway, I will say that if you're just starting to chain, DON'T GO AFTER RARE GUYS.

That is to say, don't go after the Pokemon that only show up with the Pokeradar (i.e. Ditto, Ralts, etc). Those guys are elusive assholes who will break your chains for no reason whatsoever. Case in point: I was stuck in Ireland's POS public transit system for over 7 hours, and with periodic attempts to chain rare guys, I only have one (ONE!) new buddy to show for it. Rare shiny hunting is for experts only, and even for us, they're freaking aggravating as all hell.

Start with normal Pokes, or swarm Pokes. Those guys are definitely the easiest to chain, because they have pretty high occurance rates to begin with (i.e., they're "common," and won't be at much at risk of being shoved aside by other "common" guys). With swarm or common Pokes you won't have to deal with nearly as many Floatzels butting in and going "HAI GUYZ IS THER A PARTIE HUR?" and shitting on your chain.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have it saved even though I've never tried chaining haha.
    OK. Pokeradar chaining. There are a lot of little tips and tricks, but I'll tell you what works for me:

First, stock the hell up on max repels. I mean, like, 60 at the very least. Get into the triple digits if at all possible.

Next, grab a Pokemon with a lot of attack moves and power, and maybe even a choice scarf/specs. Ideally, you should be able to one-shot every single Pokemon in your chain, and you'll see a lot. Also, get a Pokemon with False Swipe or Super Fang, so that there's no chance of you accidentally killing your shiny when you try to capture it.

Optional: get a Pokemon with Synchranize, like Ralts and Abra, and the nature you want. If it's powerful enough to sweep, put it in the lead. If it's not, put it in the lead and faint it, then put your sweeper in the second slot (the synchronize will still take effect). That's how I got my nice little Calm Oddish

Anyway, now you're ready to start chaining.

Use the Pokeradar til you get the Poke you want. Get ready to do a LOT of back-and-forth running.

In my experience, you want to go for the shiny patches of grass. This is complete speculation, but it simply seems like you're less likely to get a random chain break with the shiny grass.

Also, try to pick a patch of grass that's alone - i.e., not too close to other patches of grass. I found this out the hard way - if you're too close to other patches of grass, the chain might "continue" in that other patch. Except it won't, it's always a chain break. AND there's a good chance, even if you don't fall for it, that your chain is broken anyway. Bad news.

Now, once you have a chain started, keep these things in mind.

-ALWAYS have repel active. Never EVER go ONE SPACE without it, because the Bidoofs will LEAP at the opportunity. Trust me.

-Always go to the same type grass as your first. I.e., if you started with regular grass, always go to regular grass shakes. If you started with shiny grass, the opposite. If none of your type is available, reset (i.e., walk 50 steps and use the Pokeradar again - it won't break your chain. Unfortunately, you will have to do this more often than not).

-Speaking of resetting. Limit your 50 paces to a small area (like, back and forth across 3 spaces). If not, you risk getting too far away and breaking the chain. You'll know if you've made this mistake when the music changes from the Pokeradar music to the normal area music. Better to play it safe when resetting, so walk in place (even if it seems monotonous, and it is).

-Only go to patches of grass that are at least four squares away from you. Always go to the farthest away one. If the furthest one is not the type you want (i.e. you need shiny grass, and the furthest is regular grass), reset until it is.

-If two patches seem equally far away from you, or you can't tell which is furthest away, reset until you can tell which patch is farthest away.

-Do not go to a patch of grass that is "too far away," i.e. practically off-screen. These are usually red herrings. If this happens to be the farthest patch you see, better to reset than take your chances.

-Only go to to a patch of grass when you have FOUR OR MORE available options. I dunno why this is the case, but if you have <=3 options, it seems to break yuour chain more often than not, even if you choose a perfectly good looking patch of grass. If you do not see four patches shaking, reset.

-After you've finished a fight in your chain, NEVER move upwards. The reason is that your character sprite's big fat head might be blocking a shaking grass from view, and it's really hard to tell either way. just assume it's always shaking and go left, right, or down.

-Also, don't move immediately after a right, either. Sometimes grass can have a "delayed shake," and if you're really unlikely, that delayed piece of grass could be directly to your right or left. Give it a half second or so to make sure this isn't the case before moving.

-In my experience, it's best to avoid lone shaky grass. By this, I mean this situation: one patch of grass shakes all by itself in the top left side of your screen, while the other three shake in the far bottom left. Even if the top left one is the farthest away, it can sometimes be risky to take it - I've had those be chain breaks quite a few times. Honestly, this kind of situation is just something you learn to read with experience.

-Basically, when in doubt, reset.

-Finally, when you see a shaky piece of grass with little red stars coming out, that's your shiny. It should be pretty obvious. These can appear anywhere from the second in the chain to the 70th. In general, they'll start to appear with some consistency around 40 or 50. Try not to get TOO excited and accidentally hit the wrong patch of grass on the way.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    -If two patches seem equally far away from you, or you can't tell which is furthest away, reset until you can tell which patch is farthest away.

The Pythagorean Theorem is your friend.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's a pretty good guide. Thanks Dave for writing it and Chen for digging it up.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's a chaining guide on how to catch shineys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Py0yebfpo

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's actually a little outdated. Here are a few more tips I've come up with in the meantime:

-The "furthest away" grass patch is not determined by adding the X and Y axis. This seems to confuse people. When looking for the furthest away patch, you want to look along one axis ONLY. Generally, only one patch will be 4 spaces away - either on the x axis, or the y axis. That's your patch. If there's more than one patch that is 4 spaces away (whcih is very rare), reset. If there's none that are 4 spaces away (i.e. they are all 2, 3, or 5 spaces away), reset.

-Like I said earlier, commonality determines how easy a Poke is to chain. Start chaining with swarm and common Pokemon if you don't want to pull your hair out.

-Rare Pokemon take a little bit more effort, and seem to require being more care. I find that with rare Pokemon, not only do you want to ensure that your furthest patch is 4 spaces away; you also want to ensure that all other patches are only 1-2 spaces away. If one is 3 spaces away, you generally want to reset here. I;ve only noticed the game punishing for me with this with rare Pokes.

-When in doubt, reset, BUT:

-Don't get too anal about resetting. Not all these rules I give are hard and fast: sometimes all you need is for one space to be farther away than all the others, and thats it. Sometimes you don't even need 4 shakes.

You really WANT to follow the rules when you can, but if the game isn't cutting you a break, sometimes it's good to keeo the chain moving, even if that means risking a break. This is more a tip for retaining your own sanity than anything else. If you reach a 30-chain quickly (i.e., in like 15 minutes) then suffer an unlucky break, you probably won't mind TOO much. But if you spend hours getting perfect set-ups to reach that same 30-chain, then get REALLY unlucky and have the game screw you voer with a random chain break, you'll want to throw your DS at the wall.

Better to be mildly perturbed than feces-throwing enraged, so don't take chaining too seriously.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    -The "furthest away" grass patch is not determined by adding the X and Y axis. This seems to confuse people.

What people? I need to personally hunt these people down, grab them by their shoulders, look them square in the eye, and say "that is not how distance works."

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is anyone up for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    -The "furthest away" grass patch is not determined by adding the X and Y axis. This seems to confuse people.

What people? I need to personally hunt these people down, grab them by their shoulders, look them square in the eye, and say "that is not how distance works."

Umm...well, me and Shujin, at least :lol:

I used to think it was "how many squares you walked to get there." I.e., if I had to walk 4 sqaures left and 1 up (4+1=5) or 3 squares left and 3 squares up (3+3=6), then I should choose the latter option. When in reality, you really just want to go with whatever takes you 4 squares away on any axis - i.e., the first option in that example.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Umm...well, me and Shujin, at least :lol:

I used to think it was "how many squares you walked to get there." I.e., if I had to walk 4 sqaures left and 1 up (4+1=5) or 3 squares left and 3 squares up (3+3=6), then I should choose the latter option.

No, Dave, there was this guy. Real cool dude, went by Pythagoras. Fella sat down and figured out how far away shit is from other shit.

Option B is further away. Option A is the square root of 17 tiles away, and B is the square root of 18 tiles away.

But evidently the guys at Gamefreak don't know about this insane math secret either, so don't feel too bad about it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man whatever, it's been 4 years since I've taken a math course!

The point is, Pokemon don't like Pythagoras or his theorem, which can be counterintuitive sometimes. You should always be going with Option A over Option B in that hypothetical situation.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm still waiting for someone to agree to battle me.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man whatever, it's been 4 years since I've taken a math course!

The point is, Pokemon don't like Pythagoras or his theorem, which can be counterintuitive sometimes. You should always be going with Option A over Option B in that hypothetical situation.

So what you're saying is

Pythagoras is Psychic-type

and the developers at Gamefreak are Dark type

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I suppose you could say that Pythagoras was Sucker Punched by Gamefreak while attempting to use Confusion, yes.

I really need to find a damn Wifi spot.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pythagoras used Mathematics!
    It doesn't affect Gamefreak...

Now, back to my level-grinding up a couple new team members. Argh on high level evolutions! ..unless RockinX doesn't get another challenger soon.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Let's battle, Aggril!

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Let me get off of this mountain and we shall duel! Guess its a good thing I didn't decide to let Rayquaza Outrage through the E4 for the level stuffs this round.

Alrighty, headin to Wifi.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok. I'm online waiting.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Good battle, Aggril. Breloom is evil.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GG Rockin!

Further example of why I really need to start carrying a spinner. ...and a Gyrados.

Ooh.. a spinning Gyrados!

..no, that's just stupid. But what a mental image. And yeah, Breloom is doom. Even though that's the first match Mush's ever gotten to shine in.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I would have defeated it earlier, but my Poké missed TWICE (or at least I think it did). Man, sometimes I hate hax. Oh well, I fought nicely.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes, there was much hax about the missing. It also helped my Zangoose get in a moment of revenge there too. I wasn't carrying any bright powder or under sand veil, so I guess the random number generating gods were just feeling fickle that match.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How did Ambipom survive that Zangoose's attack? Was it Brick Break?

RockinX on
  • Options
    SpikethroughSpikethrough Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone want to battle?

Spikethrough on
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 0688 3166 7857
    Smash: 1891 0958 1151
  • Options
    c02yc02y Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    THE POISON GYM IS REOPEN NOW!

and I still want Dave's shiny Bellossom...

c02y on
    I have badges, yes I do! I have badges, how about you?
    badges.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'll keep looking for wifi spots, though it does seem that the wifi gods are against me at this point. Might need to wait til I get back stateside in December before I get any trading done.

That said, unless that Kyogre is legit, you didn't offer anything THAT particularly interesting, especially for a good Nature/IV shiny :P

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    c02yc02y Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well tell me what you want for Bellossom and I'll get it for you. ;)

And the Kyogre I have is legit.

c02y on
    I have badges, yes I do! I have badges, how about you?
    badges.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anyone available for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    By the way, the time when I have to make a new OP is coming. Is there anything you think should be added to it?

RockinX on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, update my gym image in the OP. I have made some changes to my gym that arent reflected yet.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I also updated your gym card, Quovadis.

RockinX on