As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Art of War: Miniature Modelling and Painting

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I Sign Up

I'll have to borrow Erandus's camera one of these days, I have 3k worth of fantasy orcs with maybe 500 pts painted. I have a 2k tombking army with nothing painted, but its all based. and I have 1.5k worth of tau maybe 1k worth painted or at least started. I also picked up the macragge set recently. So needless to say I got piles of stuff to paint.

I t hink ill try to finish painting the terrain for macragg here in the next month and maybe get the marines done.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did a little bit of painting today in between typing papers. Got the metallics done on 6 of the bolter marines. All 20 marines I have to finish have the eagles on their chests done in bone, and the assault marines all have their metallics done. Little bit of progress.

Also I'm thinking that I will probably not be rewarding myself with a tank company.. The thought of gluing together that many Leman Russ tracks gives me nightmares. Instead I'll reward myself with some new orks as they will hopefully be out when I finish.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pft! Leman Russ Racks are easy! Well, compared to baneblade tracks anyway. Still, it is a lot of tanks.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Snapped a pic to show off the relative sizes. The first model was the one on the left, and the stealer on the right is the WIP:

PA270084.jpg

Asmodai_00 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Progress on the Reaper continues apace. In fact, the end is in sight. All I have left to do is the gems, eyes and bases, followed by a final touch-up.

Asher on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    buying my first units and paint this weekend, I'll probably have pics posted next monday.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay my first objective is to finish my Ten man Chaos Glory squad, then move on to the berzerkers and my killa kans. For the marines, all I've got to finish are the arms for two guys, then I have to paint my aspiring champion and icon bearer. Then I just gotta paint up the bolters and special weapons and I'm done, so hopefully I can get that done next week.

SJ on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can I join in this even though I usually only paint single minis? Im working on a terminator lord at the moment. Mostly to practice shading with pastels. Which I aim to use on an RX-78-2 gundam model I bought. The finish your stuff! mentality would be great as I put off stuff/switch to diffirent things way too much.

Judging by the "rules" I'd wager this is wargaming only :(

J on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    J wrote: »
    Can I join in this even though I usually only paint single minis? Im working on a terminator lord at the moment. Mostly to practice shading with pastels. Which I aim to use on an RX-78-2 gundam model I bought. The finish your stuff! mentality would be great as I put off stuff/switch to diffirent things way too much.

Judging by the "rules" I'd wager this is wargaming only :(

You may indeed join this. While the focus is on motivating wargamers to finish armies, there isn't really any reason for preventing you from joining. The more the merrier!

Asher on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well in that case for november I aim to finish the lord and also mostly finish the construction of the gundam body.

Here is my progress on the lord so far.

Armor
    Terminator%20Armor_4d87ce046e901ed4f9c1c8ac.png

and his head. Which was the first time ive used pastels to do any sort of generic shading, in this case some brown and black towards the back of the head. As it will be sunken into the armor. I really love painting heads/faces.
    Lord%20head_156b3c3a1c98bace783fd251.png

J on
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Update! The railhead is 97% assembled. I went for a more dattle-bramaged look.
    FWCC025.jpg
    FWCC023.jpg
    FWCC024.jpg
    Comments and criticism are, as always, welcomed with warm arms of love and warmth.

Current status:
    HQ: Shas'o Assembled and Primed
    Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Assembled and Painted
    Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Assembled and Primed
    Elite: Crisis Battlesuit Assembled and Primed
    Elite: Stealth Suit x 5 2 Assembled and Painted, 3 Not Bought
    Troops: Fire Warrior x12 Assembled and Painted
    Troops: Fire Warrior x12 Assembled and Painted
    Troops: Kroot x16 + Shaper Assembled and Painted
    Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship Assembled and Half-painted
    Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship Assembled

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's my Storm Lance! Got some new paints (Gun Corps Brown, Thamar Black, and Morrow white as well as Wonder Wash sea bule and black). Washes are quite wonderful. Applying the blue wash to the armor really made it vibrant and shiny, yet still retain its dark tone.
    1821143230_0ed609a5df_o.jpg

Progress:
    Warcasters
    Epic Caine: Assembled, Primed
    Epic Stryker: Assembled
    Epic Haley: Not bought

Warjacks
    Thunderhead: Not bought
    Centurion: Base Coats in progress
    Lancer: Base Coats in progress
    Sentinel: Base Coats in progress
    Hunter: Not bought

Warriors and Solos
    Alten Ashley: Assembled, Primed
    Eyriss, Mage Hunter of Ios: Assembled, Primed
    Rupert Carvlo, Piper of Ord: Assembled, Primed
    Gun Mage Captain Adept: Base Coats in progress
    Journeyman Warcaster: Base Coats in progress
    Arcane Tempest gun Mages: Base Coats in progress
    Long Gunners: Assembled, Primed
    Sword Knights: Assembled, Primed
    Storm Lances: Base Coats in progress

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Given that I have exams this month, I'm not sure what the odds of me getting anything done are. Regardless, I Signup.

I'll be working on my Warhammer Empire army. I already have one of those funky detachment boxes from when they were released early this year, so I don't even have to buy anything this month. Huzzah! I finish exams on the 19th so I might be able to get my Handgunner unit (10 Handgunners) painted up by the end of the month.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm aiming to have at least 1,000 points of Empire stuff completed by the end of the six months.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, I have finished the Repeater Bolt thrower.
    Voila!
    ATOMP2.jpg

And the crew:
    ATOMP3.jpg

And pictured here with its twin:
    ATOMP4.jpg

Next up: 10 archers!

Asher on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nice! Another blue/silver color scheme. It makes anything look really cool. :D

Except Orks.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks! The default high Elf colour scheme is white and blue and looooots of gold, which I frankly thought looked silly. Also, I'm sure I've seen Orks in a blue and Black colour scheme, Deathskulls, and they didn't look that bad. Also, you have reminded me to update the OP with your progress.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No problemo. See! The black makes the difference!

And thanks.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    zatarzatar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll think I will join this too.
    Soo, i got a squad of kroot, one piranha and one ethereal to paint.

Unfortunately my camera stopped working, or rather only takes pictures of wavy lines. So I have to try and get good pictures from my webcam, which might not be that good until I get another camera that is.

Kroot, 5 assembled, primed and started painting. 11 still on sprues.
    Ethereal primed white.
    Piranha, assembled and primed black and crew primed white.

Hope I get time in my schedule to actually paint these in this month that is.

Oh, and you lot are good painters. 8-)

zatar on
    Playing as Tvisling Draygo on Europa-Farstar
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It helps having the tiniest brush humanly possible. :)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I need to get a new brush. I haven't painted the Eyes on my bolt thrower crew, and had a hell of a time doing the gems (all 34 of them) because all my fine brushes were disintegrating.

Asher on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well in that case for november I aim to finish the lord and also mostly finish the construction of the gundam body.

Armor

and his head. Which was the first time ive used pastels to do any sort of generic shading, in this case some brown and black towards the back of the head. As it will be sunken into the armor. I really love painting heads/faces.

Dude, this is fantastic so far. I'm looking forward to the finished model.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I dunno what came over me last night. I've been watching The Office, getting caught up to the current season as I had only watched snips of it here and there. Last night, I drank enough coffee in order to stay up about four hours past my normal bedtime in order to watch it while I painted my Dwarf Warriors. I'm only two episodes away from being caught up now. Side benefit is that my Warriors are actually almost done being painted (before being dipped). If I can keep this productivity up, I may have to change my goal to having all the Dwarfs in the box set done by the end of the month! :P

Gonna see if I can borrow my brother's camera this weekend or soon, and when I do I'll try to explain my painting process for these guys. I'm kind of a big fan of dipping now.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Armor

HAIL TO THE CHIEF

Seriously, that head blows my mind.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    RubberchristRubberchrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I need to Sign Up for this thread too!

I'm working on my Space Wolf bike squads right now, and their Land Speeders as well, but my baby and the thing that is occupying most of my free time at the moment is a from scratch Vermin Lord for my upcoming Skaven army.

VERMIN LORD....Check it out: (I used my wife's sweet-ass camera to take these, so they may be a bit large on your screen)
    IMG_5885.jpg
    IMG_5884.jpg
    IMG_5883.jpg

Space Wolves Stuff.... Current (Will post the bikes as I get photos):
    IMG_5798.jpg
    IMG_5799.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg

Enjoy!
    -R

Rubberchrist on
    "Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    http://brushandputty.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, While my progress with the Desu Brigade Command based on Excel Saga is chugging along nicely, I have challeged [read sharp101: Scott] in a Fantasy game. I don't wanna paint Lizardmen [but already have 6000 points of them] I have decided to start an Vampire Counts army. So yeah, I need to build, spray them by November next week, Fun fun.

I have aproximatly 2 units of 30 Skeletons, 2 units of 30 Zombies, 12 x Ghouls, 1 x Vampire Lord, 1 x Vampire Thrall, 1 x Wraith, 2 x Banshee to complete. This is a 2000 point army so painting and building away!

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    VERMIN LORD....Check it out: (I used my wife's sweet-ass camera to take these, so they may be a bit large on your screen)
    IMG_5883.jpg

Holy Christ that is impressive! What did you build the body out of? Its also completely enormous!

As for my progress so far, this is my painted High Elf army. The characters were painted because I liked them, the Silver Helms and Shadow warriors were painted for a tournament about 6 months ago. The Swordmasters and 1 Bolt Thrower was painted just recently. The other Bolt thrower was painted as part of this.
    ATOMP5.jpg

This is what I want to get painted in the immediate future. 20 Spearmen, 20 Seaguard, 10 armoured archers, 10 unarmoured archers, 5 shadow warriors and 1 Swordmaster. There are a bunch of characters and another 10 armoured archers, but the characters are on the back-burner, and I doubt ill ever need more archers.
    ATOMP6.jpg
    Not pictured: 5 Ellyrian Reavers, 20 more Spearmen and a Tiranoc Chariot. Also, I just ordered a Dragon and more characters, so I have plenty to work on!

Also: Ash, you've certainly got your work cut out for you.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    IMG_5883.jpg

Holy Christ that is impressive! What did you build the body out of? Its also completely enormous!

That, my friend, is entirely copper wire armature, Sculpey and "green stuff" epoxy putty.

It's at about fourteen hours so far.

-R

Rubberchrist on
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well here's the tyranid army I'm going to do for this thing:
    army.jpg

Not shown:
    Hive tyrant, which is currently being stripped.
    Broodlord, ditto on the stripping.
    A Zoanthrope which I don't think I'll use, it might become something for a conversion. Because seriously, fuck assembling that model.
    And several other conversions and models which are yet to be assembled. But I'll keep those a secret so it's a surprise when I reveal them.

I'll probably try and get more than Spinegaunts done this month, I thought I had more of them.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    The LegionThe Legion Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I sign upOr I'll never finish these guys due to my wondering and impulsive attention span.

Need to do the basing on the Strineholm Janissaries and complete the team's Chimera.

l_885915466e6435060f580d04f9c1453e.jpg
    Psyker
    l_ff8e151c2d46d8c99b1c4e1b6d53c26c.jpg
    Junior Officer
    l_3020c2600bfd3b4ad6c20b20e82d36ef.jpg

The Legion on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    got two guardsmen based and a sergeant painted, plus two vets built and primed

whoop

pictures after I base the sergeant

edit: pics will have to wait until later this evening I think

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, I had an Exam this morning, so I'm taking the rest of the day off. I'll work on the Archers a bit more I think.

Asher on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Our story so far!
    ig001-4.jpg

Only two more grunts to paint, but I'll probably mix things up this week and do a test job on a stormtrooper or maybe paint up a vet.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Those are some nice looking Cadians, Gym. I really like the carapace plates and their faces.

-R

Rubberchrist on
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So Here's some update photos. They are a bit blurry 'cause the camera I usually use got dropped and is in the shop..

Vermin Lord with head, standing about 7 inches tall:
    VLBlurry.jpg

6 of my 9 bikes with 3 of their 9 riders:
    BikesBlurry.jpg

Rubberchrist on
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I need to finish this:

I just basecoated him.

After that, I have four flying warriors to work on. That's all for my Tyranid right now.

Hivecobra4.jpg

Hivecobra2.jpg

Hivecobrarider.jpg

Hivecobra3.jpg

Hivecobra1.jpg

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay I'm done already, stayed up last night:

hivecobrahead2.jpg

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    hivecobrascything.jpg

hivecobraback.jpg

Here's his Mega-weapon Barbed Strangler:
    hivecobrabarbed.jpg

Size comparison:
    hivecobrasize2.jpg

hivecobrasize1.jpg

His back and other details:
    hivecobraback2.jpg
    hivecobrastealer2.jpg
    hivecobrahead.jpg

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    All I really have to say is that looks totally awesome. You said you were homebrewing some rules for it right? It looks rather like a Trygon, with the snakelike body so if you can get your hands on IA 4 or possibly Apocalypse (is it in Apocalypse?) you are all set, apart from the whole transporting genestealers thing.
    How big is it? 12-18 inches?

Asher on
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow Trentsteel, that looks hella boss. I'm amazed you painted it in just one day.

Ozmodai on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    All I really have to say is that looks totally awesome. You said you were homebrewing some rules for it right? It looks rather like a Trygon, with the snakelike body so if you can get your hands on IA 4 or possibly Apocalypse (is it in Apocalypse?) you are all set, apart from the whole transporting genestealers thing.
    How big is it? 12-18 inches?

It's about 7.5" high and 5" wide.

I used the Chapter Approved Tyranid Monstrosities rules to make him. Does the new Apocalypse book have rules for such things or just data sheets? I don't want to make him a Trygon I want him to be a transport for genestealers, so I will probably just use a modified version of the Tyranid Monstrosities rules (Had to change some things to jive better with 4th edition and I made his 2+/5+ save cost more based on the Hive Tyrants cost.)

trentsteel on

This discussion has been closed.