As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Art of War: Miniature Modelling and Painting

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Those look pretty sharp, Strat.

If I could just make a recommendation, as someone who never paints marines, I think hitting the entire models with an additional coat of black wash would do some good things to the shoulder pads and smaller details like the guns.

Ein on
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion Ein. I kinda rushed through the wash stage, and I think I really only ever did the blue wash. I've tried using the red wash in the past on those shoulder pads, without much notable impact (though it worked out nicely on the Dread!). I'll give the black a shot on a couple of them...

To be brutally honest, I've never been all that happy with the look of the red shoulderpads on these guys. They just come out looking, I don't know, flat? Maybe the black wash will do something for that.

stratslinger on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So painting a powerfist. Black base coat, do i paint it gold and do a black ink wash for the shading in the nooks etc. Oooor, do i do black over black base coat and then another coat of gold carefully painted on to avoid the recesses
    If the base coat is already black, you don't need to paint it black again. Also, black is not a good color for washing gold as it does not match the gold in any way. If you have the new washes, Gryphon Sepia is an excellent color to wash gold with. If you have the old inks, you want to use a slightly thinned chestnut ink to wash gold colors with.
    Just wanna jump in here and say if you're painting gold I found a layer of bestial brown to put it over works very well. My gold tends to be a little thin so doesn't look so hot straight over black.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion Ein. I kinda rushed through the wash stage, and I think I really only ever did the blue wash. I've tried using the red wash in the past on those shoulder pads, without much notable impact (though it worked out nicely on the Dread!). I'll give the black a shot on a couple of them...

To be brutally honest, I've never been all that happy with the look of the red shoulderpads on these guys. They just come out looking, I don't know, flat? Maybe the black wash will do something for that.
    Here's something to keep in mind - using a wash the same color as the paint it's going over usually doesn't look very good. You loose some of the shading contrast because they're too similar. For example, taking a closer look at Ein's warboss will show that he's used some brown washes. With red, experiment with a black wash, perhaps thinned down a little.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's something to keep in mind - using a wash the same color as the paint it's going over usually doesn't look very good. You loose some of the shading contrast because they're too similar. For example, taking a closer look at Ein's warboss will show that he's used some brown washes. With red, experiment with a black wash, perhaps thinned down a little.

So, if I've used blue, which wash should I use?

Shamuuu on
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shamuuu: I use a mix of asurmen blue wash and badab black wash for my ultramarines, and the result is not bad at all. The mix is about 3:1.

Niklas on
  • It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It Burns wrote: »
    Quick question, what's a good colour to highlight Knarloc green washed with tharka green? goblin green (I think that's the name)?

Sorry to bump this but I really have no clue and I'd like to highlight some orks. :\

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quick question, what's a good colour to highlight Knarloc green washed with tharka green? goblin green (I think that's the name)?

Sorry to bump this but I really have no clue and I'd like to highlight some orks. :\

I know a lot of people just make up a lighter shade of the base color as a highlight for the raised areas, and then an even lighter shade of it for the extreme highlights.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    edited September 2008
    Wulf wrote: »

I know a lot of people just make up a lighter shade of the base color as a highlight for the raised areas, and then an even lighter shade of it for the extreme highlights.

I'll try adding some skull white to the Knarloc green then. I was worried because it's a foundation paint and they might not mix well.

It Burns on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd say get some goblin green and the middle green between goblin and dark angels.

What I do for my trollbloods (blue-skinned) is take a blue color and gradually mix in more flesh color to highlight. It makes alot of the highest highlights more pinkish and fleshy. My problem is that the mixes I have dry too fast.

I need to try making a wet pallette.

Toothy on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wulf wrote: »

I'll try adding some skull white to the Knarloc green then. I was worried because it's a foundation paint and they might not mix well.

White might not work, you'll want to try something a little more neutral. Try some Bleached bone or rotting flesh, or even some light flesh colour like Elf Flesh. Even a light grey might work.

Pure white is a little too bright I find.

Sharp101 on
    edited September 2008
    bigboss125.jpg

I added the god names to the inside of the wrists. Mork is a bit... crooked. It's a little too far off to one side.

Still, they're on there, and I'm not patient enough to try moving the Mork name over a little bit by repainting the whole inside arm band.

Is he done from the front? I can't tell when to call this thing done because of his retarded huge size. I sort've wanted the rags to be an ultramarine banner, but I can't paint it that well onto the folds.

Ein on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    looks bad ass to me, I can't really think of anything you need to add. i dig it.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, it turns out I'm not the worst painter ever, just the most ignorant

I figured out what I was doing wrong :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited September 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

The paint goes on the brush first, then on the mini.

were you doing it the other way around?

It Burns on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    bigboss125.jpg

I added the god names to the inside of the wrists. Mork is a bit... crooked. It's a little too far off to one side.

Still, they're on there, and I'm not patient enough to try moving the Mork name over a little bit by repainting the whole inside arm band.

Is he done from the front? I can't tell when to call this thing done because of his retarded huge size. I sort've wanted the rags to be an ultramarine banner, but I can't paint it that well onto the folds.

IMHO, yes, I think it could be considered done. While it would be cool to do the banner idea, I think that it isn't necessary to get the feel of this model. And that would be he is a huge motherfucking ork who will beat the face or face-like aperture of anything that stands in his way.

P.S. I think the names came out exactly how you wanted. They look like a grot painted them.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice work Ein :^:

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited September 2008
    I think I'm done with the boss. I did some minor additional touchups and added a (relatively tiny) tattoo of the 'Grim' Glyph to his back. I am pretty happy with him, all things considered.

bigboss126.jpg

bigboss127.jpg

And lastly, a lineup of all of my custom HQs, a.k.a. "Da Wall 'Uv Unbeeleevable 'Urtin'"

bigboss128.jpg

It's actually pretty funny. I did not plan on having grot helpers for each HQ, but it seems to have worked out that way just due to the way I make my models. I'll see if I can't continue this trend when I get around to making a biker boss and kommando character.

Expect to see a finished custom datasheet for Gargrim shortly. :) We're still playtesting it, but so far he's worked out really nicely.

Ein on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Never mind the poor lighting, I was lazy tonight, but I give you "Gary", my demo model for the squad of renegade IG I'm adding to my Chaos marine army. What's that you say? "You can't add IG to a chaos marine army." Well just maybe I'm writing my own data sheet to go with it.

2881401542_dc4a03b1b2.jpg

2880565189_36fbeb7d42.jpg

2880564877_0ee6691f74.jpg

Thoughts? I'm not totally in love with the shoulder pads, but everything else I like.

Dark_Side on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The lightings so poor that he looks like he's been painted only one color in the first two pictures so sadly I can't give you any real feedback.

Inquisitor on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yea, it looks like you just bronzed him for kicks.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited September 2008
    Maybe I did.....

But yeah, I'll fix the lighting tomorrow night and post some better shots.

Dark_Side on
    edited September 2008
    Use a flash and a few pieces of white paper for contrast, should work wonders.

I'm going to try painting some of my daemonhunters tomorrow, if they aren't too embarrassing I'll throw them up here. I totally cheaped out on paint, but who knows!

TheLawinator on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    I think I'm done with the boss. I did some minor additional touchups and added a (relatively tiny) tattoo of the 'Grim' Glyph to his back. I am pretty happy with him, all things considered.

bigboss126.jpg

bigboss127.jpg

And lastly, a lineup of all of my custom HQs, a.k.a. "Da Wall 'Uv Unbeeleevable 'Urtin'"

bigboss128.jpg

It's actually pretty funny. I did not plan on having grot helpers for each HQ, but it seems to have worked out that way just due to the way I make my models. I'll see if I can't continue this trend when I get around to making a biker boss and kommando character.

Expect to see a finished custom datasheet for Gargrim shortly. :) We're still playtesting it, but so far he's worked out really nicely.

I think your Orkz are the best Orkz I have ever seen. I really like how your colors are brighter. The sculpting is utterly amazing too.

DouglasDanger on
    edited September 2008

Nearly as bad

I've been painting models very strict colors. On my guardsmen, it wasn't particularly noticable, because few pieces were the same color, so they had natural borders. On the marines, however, they generally looked like flat blobs of whatever color scheme's I was trying out.

So I tried on a model, leaving deep crevices/etc primed black. Holy shit is the difference notable, it actually looks good. Not expertly painted, but good nonetheless.

Raslin on

• NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Nearly as bad

I've been painting models very strict colors. On my guardsmen, it wasn't particularly noticable, because few pieces were the same color, so they had natural borders. On the marines, however, they generally looked like flat blobs of whatever color scheme's I was trying out.

So I tried on a model, leaving deep crevices/etc primed black. Holy shit is the difference notable, it actually looks good. Not expertly painted, but good nonetheless.

Way to go! :)

Now add some wash and watch the wonders of it.

Niklas on
    edited September 2008
    Niklas wrote: »

Nearly as bad

Way to go! :)

Now add some wash and watch the wonders of it.

Yes, now time to experiment with more than just base coats ;)

Raslin on

edited September 2008
    Totally forgot to post the finished fire warrior I promissed. This is my first attempt at highlights, previously I only used washes on the Fire Warrior's soft armour. I included a Fire Warrior painted with the old method for comparison, and my test ork model aswell (no highlights on this one, just a few washes) :P

Right away I know a few highlights could have been better placed but I was doing this mostly by instinct and no really bothering about the "lightsource", and I'll try to make them thinner on the next models. So... let me know what you think. I know the quality isn't the best but it's night and my lamp sucks. So.... pictures!

08-09-23_23-38.jpg
    08-09-23_23-39.jpg
    08-09-23_23-391.jpg

It Burns on
    edited September 2008
    Okay, round 2 on Gary. His colors are very drab, a dull brown for the fatigues and what I can best call rust for the armor, I've limited doing most highlighting as well, which in retrospect, I should probably go back and add some to make him pop more.

2883852016_aba0aebdbc.jpg

Dark_Side on
    edited September 2008
    His face still looks a bit metallic to me.

TheLawinator on
  • JerickJerick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has anyone used this stuff and can they give it a thumbs up or down?
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product39120.html
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product39114.html
    I'm looking at ways to save me time and paint in painting ultramarine blue.

Jerick on
  • SellixSellix Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DSC01044.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

Something I painted for a friend today. I don't get much opportunity to paint my own minis any longer as I don't have the funds to keep pouring into the hobby, but I do enjoy painting.

I apologize for the poor photo quality. My camera is about four years old and it's in the process of slowly breaking apart.

Sellix on
    "Sometimes, all you need is to find some words of encouragement from the future to make a difference in the past..."
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    So, tell me about painting orc skin. I'm off to buy some paints soonish.

Echo on
    edited September 2008
    I've just been doing a basecoat of Knarloc Green with a wash of Tharka Green. Works great.

It Burns on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    So, tell me about painting orc skin. I'm off to buy some paints soonish.

crappy pic ahoy
    Picture63.jpg

I used goblin green and orc flesh wash I don't think they make it anymore

I would say use a light green and shade with a darker green

Brainleech on
  • AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Okay, round 2 on Gary. His colors are very drab, a dull brown for the fatigues and what I can best call rust for the armor, I've limited doing most highlighting as well, which in retrospect, I should probably go back and add some to make him pop more.

2883852016_aba0aebdbc.jpg

I think if you gave them a slightly undead looking pallid skin it would really enhance the overall scheme by adding some much needed contrast

Also the previous edition of the Chaos Marine's codex had rules for cultists for the Alpha Legion, so there's definitely solid precedent there for your theme

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sellix wrote: »
    - pic snip -

Something I painted for a friend today. I don't get much opportunity to paint my own minis any longer as I don't have the funds to keep pouring into the hobby, but I do enjoy painting.

I apologize for the poor photo quality. My camera is about four years old and it's in the process of slowly breaking apart.

Yay, necrons. I hardly see those. Good jorb!

Dissociater on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jerick wrote: »
    Has anyone used this stuff and can they give it a thumbs up or down?
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product39120.html
    http://www.thewarstore.com/product39114.html
    I'm looking at ways to save me time and paint in painting ultramarine blue.
    I've never used them, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to be getting $45 worth of good looking out of that paint. If you really want to paint ultramarines fast, find the closest shade of blue you can in Walmart's Krylon plastics range, and get some of GW's black wash. A quarter of the price and it'll give you just as good a final product.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • NimnarNimnar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jerick wrote: »
    A question.
    I've never used them, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to be getting $45 worth of good looking out of that paint. If you really want to paint ultramarines fast, find the closest shade of blue you can in Walmart's Krylon plastics range, and get some of GW's black wash. A quarter of the price and it'll give you just as good a final product.

Is Krylon's plastic spraypaint a good primer for plastic GW models? Cause I can not find one freaking store that sells their black primer spraypaint anywhere locally or online for that matter. I can find their white primer spray just fine, and sometimes their gray or brown primer even, but I have never once seen their black primer.

Nimnar on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ein and I were talking about that a while ago - Krylon apparently doesn't make black primer anymore.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
This discussion has been closed.