As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Man's inhumanity to man

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse

What keeps mankind alive? The fact that millions
are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced and oppressed
Mankind can keep alive thanks to its brilliance
in keeping its humanity repressed
And for once you must try not to shirk the facts
Mankind is kept alive
by bestial acts

This is a thread about the things you've seen, done or heard about that make you think that the human race deserves to burn in a pit of tar for all eternity.

For me, its the casual cruelty we exhibit to our peers on a daily basis. High school was this magnified. I shudder for the time my friends and I held down our vegetarian friend and made him eat chilli powder. And the endless ridicule I got the time I 'dated a fat chick'. Just basically the lengths kids will go to to establish their dominance over eachother for no other reason than that they can.

So... why do you hate people?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
DodgeBlan on

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always thought that all the horror and pain in the world, all the bullshit, its the only reason the good stuff we do is so remarkable. The world was a horrible and violent place before we got here, there are 6 billion of us, its amazing we arent in constant state of global anarchy. If we were super perfect all the time it would be creepy. Or maybe im just conditioned to think so.

Prohass on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Catholics, Condoms and Cocks thread.

Catholics are some kind of fucked up.

Apothe0sis on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    People will always feel insecure in a state of anything approaching true equality. We as a species are only happy when we feel that we are better than at least a portion of everyone else. This is why traits like sexism, racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, pretentious geeks (the worst of the lot ;) ), etc are so commonplace. Even when such hatred and exclusion has no significant reason behind it we will do it anyway (see: highschool).

We all deserve to die because we're all a bunch of pretentious, elitist, retarded wankers.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Are... are you reading deeper meaning into Pet Shop Boys lyrics?

Cruelty generally comes from insecurity and the psychological need to move relatively up the ladder. And sometimes people are just dicks. One of the central goals of society should be to socialize the impulse for cruelty out of people, but we're pretty much sucking on that front. Dog-eat-dog capitalism, consumer and status-driven society and a religious culture that actively defines itself by which groups of people they hate are doing a piss-poor job of socializing the cruelty out of us.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really hope this becomes a list of anecdotal debauchery and cruelty; not just a philosophical discussion as to why we do those things. Since the latter has been pretty much summed up in the first three posts.

jotate on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reading youtube comments for videos starring minorities accidentally or intentionally doing goofy things. Some of the slurs might be posted for shock value but a good chunk are genuine, I'm sure.

emnmnme on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Meet the Spartans. I GET IT, AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE JUXTAPOSED IS FUNNY

Prohass on
  • DecadenceDecadence __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Religion.

Decadence on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, people have been getting better and better about not being cruel. We're rising out of the cruelest thing I'm aware of, nature. Have you heard that it's red in tooth and claw?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it is amazing we are capable of any acts of kindness. Animals and everything that is not us, really, preys mercilessly on the weak. The fact that we can overcome our primal nature at all is both gratifying and scary, because that nature is always a part of us. Maybe we are just the middle between animal and something that is not animal at all.
    TL;DR loldualityofmanlol

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Man, people have been getting better and better about not being cruel. We're rising out of the cruelest thing I'm aware of, nature. Have you heard that it's red in tooth and claw?

It hasn't been a constantly-upward ascent out of bestiality is all I'm saying.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1. Sometimes people do awful things.
    2. ???
    3. All people deserve to be eliminated.

This discussion strikes me as being as silly and poorly defined as the perennial "are we part of nature?" threads.

MrMister on
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

The trend has been in an upward direction, with a variety of setbacks, but the future looks bright.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • KingGrahamKingGraham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I expect a certain amount of cruelty when it comes to man on man. We are, after all, still animals. We try to suppress base urges in favor of socialization, but that can't work all the time.

One thing I absolutely cannot tolerate is cruelty to animals. When a person thinks it's their right to dump suffering on a pet because they don't consider a dog's suffering to have the same value as a man's suffering. How anyone could look into a hurting dog's eyes and not feel something is beyond me. Animal cruelty laws should carry MUCH harsher penalties because would you trust one of these people to be kind to humans? If you can't even be trusted with a pet dog, do I really want to trust you to treat anyone else with a reasonable level of civility? Answer: Fuck No.

But I guess that isn't exactly on the topic...close enough though?

KingGraham on
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

It has been an ascent though.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The first half of the twentieth century seems to say that we're not really doing all that hot.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The first half of the twentieth century seems to say that we're not really doing all that hot.
    With all the horrible technologies, good came as well. Modern medicine is amazing. Science has had the most growth in the past century. It is a double edged sword. Our cynicism gets in the way of an objective view.

edited October 2007

I think that was the last, terrible gasp of a lot of old trends and mentalities.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I think that was the last, terrible gasp of a lot of old trends and mentalities.
    Well, you're an optimist.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2007

Yeah, think of all the terrible things we'll do when we discover life on another planet.

jotate on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Uh this thread isn't really intended as a 'WHY' so much as a 'WHAT'. Why is pretty lame and pretty pointless.
    I thought the OP made that pretty clear.

Also I don't know where you people get the idea that modern society is not cruel/inhumane. The cruelty is just portioned off so you don't have to deal with it any more.

DodgeBlan on

edited October 2007

With good reason, given the way government and societies have been developing since.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2007

With good reason, given the way government and societies have been developing since in the places I've lived and get to see on TV.

jotate on
    edited October 2007

With good reason, given the way government and societies have been developing since.
    I think that the mentalities and groupthink that helped cause some of the tragedies and atrocities aren't really that far away. You obviously disagree, but we both have references to point to. Also what jotate said.

Fencingsax on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I think that the mentalities and groupthink that helped cause some of the tragedies and atrocities aren't really that far away. You obviously disagree, but we both have references to point to. Also what jotate said.

but without groupthink at least a few people would have turned into mindless mass murderers ages ago.

Greeper on
    edited October 2007
    jotate wrote: »

With good reason, given the way government and societies have been developing since in the places I've lived and get to see on TV.

Absolutely. I'm not sure how that defeats the thesis, though.

And of course, any number of absolutely horrible things could certainly happen to create massive blunders of cruelty. Things like the Iraq War, for example. Doesn't mean that these aren't going to be looked on as tragedies that shouldn't be repeated.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2007
    My suffero-meter currently has a global reading of 2.45jiggawatts

DodgeBlan on

edited October 2007

And of course, any number of absolutely horrible things could certainly happen to create massive blunders of cruelty. Things like the Iraq War, for example. Doesn't mean that these aren't going to be looked on as tragedies that shouldn't be repeated.
    There's a difference between tragedies that shouldn't be repeated, and then having people repeat them anyways.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2007

There's a difference between tragedies that shouldn't be repeated, and then having people repeat them anyways.

And the Iraq war is already repeating a tragedy that shouldn't be repeated anyway.
    maybe we can get some nice recursion going?

DodgeBlan on

edited October 2007
    I present to you: Africa.

From genocide, to slavery, to misinformation about STDs, to Americans going there to preach the gospel instead of telling them to put a condom on, to lions.

How is that continent not just a clusterfuck of cruelty? I mean, come on. Lions.

jotate on
    edited October 2007

Simply looking at wars:

I think it would be extremely difficult to have something akin to WWII occur again. Wars between wealthy nations are essentially a thing of the past.

I think it would be extremely difficult to have something akin to the war in Vietnam occurring again. People will never support a draft, and the government almost certainly won't do it again.

I think that history will look harshly on the Iraq war, and people will be extremely reluctant to engage in the same kind of fiasco in the future. At the moment, I think we are in the middle of a crisis at the moment though, as the same madmen that led the charge into Iraq are eying Iran.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2007
    All it takes for another WW is a wealthy nation deciding that it knows what's best for the world while denying civil rights to its citizens so as to wool the eyes. I don't know how you're so confident in rule that possibility out given the situation we're in.

jotate on
    edited October 2007
    How is that continent not just a clusterfuck of cruelty? I mean, come on. Lions.

It certainly is.

But look at where China is today, compared to where it was thirty-five years ago. Will that be repeated? Unlikely.

Russia? It's taking a hard turn to the right, but at least Putin is making the country more stable. It's undesirable, but a Pinochet-like rightist government is far more desirable than anarchy, which I would suggest is an improvement.

Countries in Africa are certainly in poor shape, punctuated by absolutely terrible atrocities, but once a country learns how to put itself together, to find something that truly works, do you think they will be so eager to let it go?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Simply looking at wars:

I think it would be extremely difficult to have something akin to WWII occur again. Wars between wealthy nations are essentially a thing of the past.

I think it would be extremely difficult to have something akin to the war in Vietnam occurring again. People will never support a draft, and the government almost certainly won't do it again.

I think that history will look harshly on the Iraq war, and people will be extremely reluctant to engage in the same kind of fiasco in the future. At the moment, I think we are in the middle of a crisis at the moment though, as the same madmen that led the charge into Iraq are eying Iran.
    I forget where I got it from but I'm fond of the phrase "these things that we did, we must never do again"

The pattern of wars - as Loren notes - has always had them as just different enough in every case to seem like they might work. Retrospectively, well people still join the army hoping to fight WWII - a good, just war in our eyes.

electricitylikesme on
    edited October 2007
    All it takes for another WW is a wealthy nation deciding that it knows what's best for the world while denying civil rights to its citizens so as to wool the eyes. I don't know how you're so confident in rule that possibility out given the situation we're in.

You make it sound so easy!

Do you seriously think that France and Germany will ever fight each other again?

I admit that there is a very dangerous window for the next year, as Bush is still in office, but once he's gone, what wealthy nation would fight another? For what reason?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2007
    China may not be a cauldron of insanity anymore but its not exactly summer camp for the majority nowadays. And I don't know why you would think that the current stability is anywhere near permanent. Its only thanks to brainwashing, anyway.

DodgeBlan on

edited October 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    China may not be a cauldron of insanity anymore but its not exactly summer camp for the majority nowadays. And I don't know why you would think that the current stability is anywhere near permanent. Its only thanks to brainwashing, anyway.

It's categorically been a massive improvement for the majority. To suggest that it should, say, develop a middle class over night is a pipe dream. Improvements have been made, and will continue to be made.

I'm not sure what you're talking about re: stability.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2007

You make it sound so easy!

Do you seriously think that France and Germany will ever fight each other again?

I admit that there is a very dangerous window for the next year, as Bush is still in office, but once he's gone, what wealthy nation would fight another? For what reason?

Maybe. I thought Rome would've learned its lesson, but Mussolini clearly disagreed.

jotate on
    edited October 2007
    Maybe. I thought Rome would've learned its lesson, but Mussolini clearly disagreed.

You should put that comment into some sort of context.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

It's categorically been a massive improvement for the majority. To suggest that it should, say, develop a middle class over night is a pipe dream. Improvements have been made, and will continue to be made.

I'm not sure what you're talking about re: stability.

I was just mainly stating that the stability in China is due primarily to opression and propoganda (and of course the open market). I'm not one of those types to think that China will need to liberalize politcally to progress. I just don't know why you would assume that the new system is 'permanent'.

DodgeBlan on